• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
MPW said:
"I have to learn from this," Gasol said. ''I have to learn that when something happens off the court, you have to keep it off the court."

No shit! Really, Gasol? You should forget about your break-up problems when it's time to go for a 3-peat? It took you the most humiliating playoff loss for the Lakers in 12 years for you to learn that?

And actually, the loss to the Jazz in 98 wasn't even this humiliating. At least that team had 2 HOFers on it.

Last time I went through a breakup, I was channeling rage like the fucking Hulk. All Gasol does is hold it in and piss himself against fucking Irk Nowitzki.

AShep said:
Samurai and Puddles you guys are fucking disgraceful. Like I said the other day, I know NBA-gaf gets dirty but you guys are sick in the head.

Oh, you think I ACTUALLY want to see a guy suffer an incredibly painful injury that also ends his livelihood and takes away one of the things he loves most in the world? You didn't think I was just ranting?

MPW said:
Perhaps more than anything, the notion that Pau Gasol can be this team's next great leader was swept away. His sudden and odd postseason disappearance was the most obvious reason for the Lakers' troubles, his fall completed Sunday when he scored 10 points while being pushed around by everyone but his coach, who thankfully refrained from hitting him for a second consecutive game.

"I have to learn from this," Gasol said. ''I have to learn that when something happens off the court, you have to keep it off the court."

He was referring to the report that he stopped talking to Bryant during the postseason because Bryant's wife, Vanessa, had contributed to the breakup of Gasol and his longtime girlfriend. Lakers fans will remember that Karl Malone once publicly accused Vanessa of interfering with his personal life in a similar fashion.

Whatever was happening, Bryant and Gasol haven't connected on the court in a month, and the Lakers have been lost without the strength of their fusion.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20110509,0,342841,full.column

fuck mrs. kobe

Platchke is a HACK. pure HACK. No one in the Lakers organization likes him. He spend 363 days a year trying to tear the Lakers apart and only cheers them that 1 days they win the title. I have been waiting for the LA Times to can his ass for years.

He totally took the quote out of context to serve his anti-Kobe agenda. Pau has denied that there is anything related to that, but has admitted to other off the court issues that for all we know has nothing to do with any teammates.

And Kobe continued to feed gasol in the post this series. In fact, just before today's game Kobe reiterated that Shaq was a problem the 1st go around and there's no problems now.

No shit! Really, Gasol? You should forget about your break-up problems when it's time to go for a 3-peat? It took you the most humiliating playoff loss for the Lakers in 12 years for you to learn that?

And actually, the loss to the Jazz in 98 wasn't even this humiliating. At least that team had 2 HOFers on it.

Last time I went through a breakup, I was channeling rage like the fucking Hulk. All Gasol does is hold it in and piss himself against fucking Irk Nowitzki.

1. no one knows the reason.

2. uh, Kidd and Nowitzki are not Hall of Famers?

3. game 6 '08 was far more humiliating.

MPW

ryutaro's mama said:
No shit...OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO DO THAT!!!

So now that it's over, the fucker admits it was true?

What a mentally weak man.

Thanks for the back to back, Pau...but you gotta be move professional than that.

Good grief.

wait

why doesn't kobe's wife just mind her own fucking business and not interfere?

MPW said:
wait

why doesn't kobe wife just mind her own fucking business and not interfere?

Point is, who cares how it happened? I don't.

I just know as a fan, I want the players on the court locked in mentally when on the job.

Unless someone died (which wasn't the case) you go to work and do work.

MPW said:
wait

why doesn't kobe's wife just mind her own fucking business and not interfere?

Maybe she's getting tired of getting quarantined on the other side of the compound while Kobe is in super brooding mode during the playoffs and decided to sabotage the season.

THRILLH0

Banned
Puddles said:
Oh, you think I ACTUALLY want to see a guy suffer an incredibly painful injury that also ends his livelihood and takes away one of the things he loves most in the world? You didn't think I was just ranting?

Eh, i'll give real-life Puddles the benefit of the doubt but if you post that stuff, i've got free reign to rip on internet Puddles ;)

I'm going to repeat. Pau again denied it had anything to do with Kobe or his wife. As did Kobe.

These off the court issues are unknown. Maybe she cheated on him with some random dude. I mean, I agree he should play through this if it's something like that, but he DENIED the internet rumors. Platchke took the quote out of context and added his own. Don't be fooled by that hack.

I forgot all about the Karl Malone Vanessa Bryant fiasco. Interesting.

Is there a place where I can watch a replay of Lakers Mavs?

I wouldn't call myself a fan of Kobe the person, but he really picked up points for a classy after game speech yesterday. I'd say that was the best Kobe conference I've seen.

I've been seeing so many Shaq/Kobe comparisons the last few days. I've just put them down as about equal. To me Shaq use to be that guy nobody wanted to go through, we didnt fear Kobe, but Kobe became that guy later in his career for me. You don't feel comfortable having a 20+ lead over the Lakers.

Black Mamba said:
I'm going to repeat. Pau again denied it had anything to do with Kobe or his wife. As did Kobe.

These off the court issues are unknown. Maybe she cheated on him with some random dude. I mean, I agree he should play through this if it's something like that, but he DENIED the internet rumors. Platchke took the quote out of context and added his own. Don't be fooled by that hack.

Let me say this again:

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHAT IT WAS.

If someone was dead or dying, fine.

If your girl left you/cheated whatever...you lock in an play ball man.

DominoKid

MPW said:
Perhaps more than anything, the notion that Pau Gasol can be this team's next great leader was swept away. His sudden and odd postseason disappearance was the most obvious reason for the Lakers' troubles, his fall completed Sunday when he scored 10 points while being pushed around by everyone but his coach, who thankfully refrained from hitting him for a second consecutive game.

He was referring to the report that he stopped talking to Bryant during the postseason because Bryant's wife, Vanessa, had contributed to the breakup of Gasol and his longtime girlfriend. Lakers fans will remember that Karl Malone once publicly accused Vanessa of interfering with his personal life in a similar fashion.

Whatever was happening, Bryant and Gasol haven't connected on the court in a month, and the Lakers have been lost without the strength of their fusion.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20110509,0,342841,full.column

fuck mrs. kobe

Pau is mentally weak? Who knew? Fuck him.

This dude couldnt play well cause his bitch left him. Motherfuckers tried to take away Kobe's FREEDOM and he played like motherfucking Superman. The court should be your escape from all the problems in your life. And Pau mopes around and bitches out on the court...because his bitch left him.

I got no respect for him.

ryutaro's mama said:
Let me say this again:

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHAT IT WAS.

If someone was dead or dying, fine.

If your girl left you/cheated whatever...you lock in an play ball man.

I agree. I even said that. I'm just trying to make sure people don't buy into Platchke's bullshit of trying to pin this on Kobe when it has absolutely nothing to do with him or his wife.

he's trying to paint a picture that there is a rift between the two of them when it's not true at all. That's my only point.

Motherfuckers tried to take away Kobe's FREEDOM and he played like motherfucking Superman.

Well, until the finals where he thought he had to be superman and failed at it.

SamuraiX-

AShep said:
Jesus christ at people calling for Bynum to get injured or be thrown out of the league :lol

I only just missed the Bad Boy Pistons but even during the 90's shit like that was going down on a regular basis. That's not to excuse or condone it but y'all need to calm the fuck down. Bynum will take his 5-games next season and noone will remember shit.

smh

No one will remember shit?

Shit like this will be the only fucking reason people will remember "Andrew Bynum" at all.

JtawK.jpg

fWFs4.png

Whether he likes it or not, that's his legacy. He's a thug and all he'll be remembered as is just another thug.

Puddles

Banned
Kobe averaged 19ppg over the last 3 games of the sweep.

The days of the Mamba are done, no way around that.

He should retire now rather than stick around and be Pierce-level for another year or two before dropping off completely.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i don't know about that. at his height, karl malone was insanely good. he had everything. basically unstoppable on the pick and roll with stockton

In terms of careers, Dirk isn't comparable with Karl, but I'd probably take playoff Dirk over playoff Malone.

methodman

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i don't know about that. at his height, karl malone was insanely good. he had everything. basically unstoppable on the pick and roll with stockton

It's hard to say.

Let's imagine Steve Nash was never let go by Dallas. Would I be insane in saying that Dirk + Nash would have a ring or two by now? Pick and roll with them two? Would be just as lethal as the stockton/malone combo.

Other than no-rings, there's not much connection in their skills for an apt comparison though.

Basileus777 said:
In terms of careers, Dirk isn't comparable with Karl, but I'd probably take playoff Dirk over playoff Malone.
agree with both thoughts. though it'd still be a tough decision. Playoff mailman in his prime was unstoppable and CONSISTENT. Imagine him bodying these little PF's and Centers in today's game.

sommbitch would average 30/15 every game.

benjipwns

Banned
The first thing that taints anything Malone to me is thinking about the last few years of his career when he started taking those ugly leaning back "Laz-Y-Boy" style free throws and fadeaways. First thing I think of, because it's the last thing I saw of him. And it just got worse and worse.

Anyway, I did this for somebody else a while ago, and yeah, it's per 36/etc., but still it's fun how close the great PFs (80s+) were in their prime:
Code:
Player	         Years	PER	WS	P/36	R/36	A/36
Kevin Garnett	2002-08	26.3	101.2	20.6	11.8	4.5
Karl Malone	1995-01	26.5	100.0	25.0	9.4	3.9
Tim Duncan	2001-07	25.8	95.7	21.2	11.6	3.2
Charles Barkley	1987-93	26.6	102.2	23.7	11.1	3.9
Karl Malone	1989-95	25.1	104.3	26.0	10.3	3.0
Dirk Nowitzki	2002-08	25.5	103.5	23.4	8.8	2.8
The PER/WS weakness for Duncan is because of the way those things measure defense, and his lower level of scoring, I'd argue a proper adjustment puts him above the rest, but that's me.

Just to be thorough:
Code:
Player	        Years	PER	ORTG	DRTG	TS%	WS/Y	OWS/Y	DWS/Y
Kevin Garnett	2002-08	26.3	114	98	.559	14.5	8.5	6.0
Karl Malone	1995-01	26.5	116	101	.585	14.3	9.7	4.6
Tim Duncan	2001-07	25.8	110	94	.551	13.7	6.9	6.8
Charles Barkley	1987-93	26.6	123	106	.640	14.6	10.9	3.7
Karl Malone	1989-95	25.1	116	101	.595	14.9	9.2	5.7
Dirk Nowitzki	2002-08	25.5	119	102	.585	14.8	10.7	4.1

diehard

Fleer
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Now that I think about it, I'd take Dirk over Malone, the NBA is Dirk's passion, it was admittedly Malone's occupation. Dirk vvvvvvvvvvins.
This might be the dumbest thing you have said here. That's saying a lot.

Dreams-Visions said:
agree with both thoughts. though it'd still be a tough decision. Playoff mailman in his prime was unstoppable and CONSISTENT. Imagine him bodying these little PF's and Centers in today's game.

sommbitch would average 30/15 every game.

At the same time, no zone defenses and stuff made it easier for Malone to dominate, imo.

I like Dirk's game a lot more, personally, but it's hard to argue with Karl's entire career.

Puddles

Banned
However Dirk may or may not compare to Mailman, the '11 Mavs are a joke compared to the '98 Jazz. Which means that the '11 Lakers are a joke compared to the '98 Lakers. Which is fucking humiliating.

This is the worst playoff loss I can remember. In 89, Magic and Scott were injured. The 90 team wasn't good enough and everyone knew it. The 91 loss came against Jordan. None of the early 90s teams were any good, and nobody had the delusion that they were. The 97 team was too raw. The 98 team at least got to knock off the Sonics before losing to a formidable Jazz team. The 99 loss came after a lockout.

In 03 we at least won 2 games, put up a fight in most of the losses, and lost to the eventual champs. The 04 loss stung almost as much as this one, but at least we made the Finals, plus Kobe was still very young, and we knew (hoped) we'd get another chance someday.

No one expected anything out of the 06 and 07 teams. Blowing a 3-1 lead to the Suns was tough, but at least we could blame it on Kwame. The 08 loss hurt almost as much as 04, but at least we made the Finals.

So yeah, I can't agree with anyone who says any of those years were worse.

Black Mamba said:
At the same time, no zone defenses and stuff made it easier for Malone to dominate, imo.

I like Dirk's game a lot more, personally, but it's hard to argue with Karl's entire career.
Fair. I have no retort for that.

dIEHARD said:
This might be the dumbest thing you have said here. That's saying a lot.
Truth hurts as Malone played for the money, real winners play for championships while enjoying the fame and moolah as a bonus. Malone was probably thinking of the bread he was going to bring home to one of his wives when Jordan stole his lunch money and thereafter ended any chance Utah had to be declared a winner franchise. Plus, Malone is current-Shaq-fat and succeeds in pimping shoes that only teen girls would by. Once again, advantage non-idiot Nowitzki.

exarkun

I keep thinking about how Blackace said he loved dynasties and how they provided for quality basketball, etc...

But I hate them. I hate seeing the same mofos in the finals year in and year out. I don't even care that its probably not my team in the finals. I just want something different. I loved watching Magic when I was younger, MJ of course, Duncan, and Hakeem. But now, as I get older, and I'm actually living through the series/postseasons I want variety and excitement. Not predictable consistency. Watching postseasons retro-actively makes a difference because there is no emotional investment and you can say "This is great basketball, that was a great basketball move" as opposed to "Fuuuuuck, I can really feel the momentum shift" or "This bar atmosphere is amazing". If I had to see the Lakers in a finals again and potentially win it, it would have felt so boring and sadly consistent.

In otherwords, yay for unpredictability and change! Also, I would cut Gasol some slack. If I lost my long time fiancé (how long?) cause of a teammate's whife, I would be pissed as fuck. And you know Kobe's smug ass wouldn't say sorry to Gasol. And Phil was in the background going "Fuuuuuuu...wheres da bong at." Man I want to smoke with that man.

Zep

Banned
Black Mamba said:

There's no doubt in my mind Malone would be even better going against zone defense...

THRILLH0

Banned
Noone was scared of Malone, especially in the playoffs. They were scared of the Stockton/Malone pick and roll. Obviously you can't compare players in a vacuum but to me that's an important distinction.

I'm not going to play the "if Dirk had Nash his entire career" card but the fact that Dirk is terrifying teams when he's playing with zombie-Kidd and Jason Terry speaks volumes. Malone always got his and was incredibly consistent but I dont think he was feared by a team up 10 in the 4th the way Dirk is.

Perhaps "by a fair margin" is a bit of hyperbole and if youre looking at career accomplishments then obviously Karl shades him but if Dirk wins a chip, I think he pulls away.

Puddles

Banned
exarkun said:
In otherwords, yay for unpredictability and change! Also, I would cut Gasol some slack. If I lost my long time fiancé (how long?) cause of a teammate's whife, I would be pissed as fuck. And you know Kobe's smug ass wouldn't say sorry to Gasol. And Phil was in the background going "Fuuuuuuu...wheres da bong at." Man I want to smoke with that man.

A sesh with Bill Walton and Phil would be pretty amazing. But you know Odom would show up all scavenger-style like Snoop Dogg in Half-Baked. And seeing Odom right now would totally kill any buzz I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom