• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

Uhhh guys....what picks do the Lakers have to give away?

They can't be quality picks so "and a bunch of picks" doesn't really mean anything. IF you mean "and a bunch of cash" then maybe. But picks? No.

rc213

Grrrrr

I'm still angry with what went down. Not with getting gang banged but with Odom and Bynum doing dumb shit just to get tossed because they were getting embarrassed. They should have been out there suffering with the rest of the team. Fucking putos!

THRILLH0

Banned
b.mak said:
I disagree, a point guard should never shoot that much. They should be a facilitator. It's OK for guys like durant/kobe/wade to shoot a lot because they don't always have the ball on every play, someone gives it to them. and yeah, you can say that rose has no one to pass the ball to, but neither does paul or dwill...and those guys almost never (if ever?) shoot 30 times in a game

But neither of them can get to the rim like Rose can.

People are getting too hung up on what a point guard's role is "supposed to be". In games 1 & 2 the criticism was valid because Rose was ignoring team mates and taking bad shots. He still deserves to be criticised for ignoring his team mates tonight somewhat but he wasn't jacking the ball like he was earlier in the series.

Like seph, I can live with Rose penetrating at will and taking high-percentage shots. Sometimes like tonight the ball just won't drop but most nights if he plays like that, he's on his way to 50%+.

It seems silly to compare Rose to Deron and CP at this point in their careers. The latter 2 have shown court vision and a willingness to distribute that Rose lacks at the moment but Rose has demonstrated an athleticism and ability to penetrate that nobody's has touched since DWade 4-5 years ago. Let's also not forget that CP had 2 pantheon games in the Laker series but for the rest of it he was a non-factor. For better or worse, Rose has been involved in everything for the Bulls.

Whether he's a true PG or not is irrelevant when the fact of the matter is that he's at his best with the ball in his hands. If you slide him over to SG then you're not getting the best out of him. Sure he can hurt you (I mean the Bulls) a bit more when he's playing the point but most nights, the pluses clearly outweigh the minuses.

Let's be real here. He led his team to 62 wins with 2 of his top 3 team mates missing significant time. Yes, his faults have been on show so far in the postseason but so has his brilliance. The hate is outta control.

I know some people are going to reply with "lol LLL AShep" but i've been more than willing to call out Rose and the Bulls thus far. I just think people need to pump the brakes on the Westbrook/Iverson 2.0 shit.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
You like using that completely creative and articulate insult, my post if you were intelligent enough to understand it was not about Boozer's play at all but about hypocrisy and playing through injuries and cute littke names used by people with way too much time on their hands. But then again, many in this thread use Boozer to suit their double-sided agendas.
Many use boozer in the playoffs to their advantage too. Hansbrough for example just significantly upgraded how much it's going to cost to re-sign him.

BobLoblaw

Banned
EvilMario said:
0nYxE.png

And a bunch of picks to Orlando.
What an abominable trade for the Grizz. Lol!

SoulPlaya said:
Let it be known that I've been on the Boozer Defense Force since day one. Tonight was a great night for us (or just me, lol).
I know you have been, ths guy is a huge ball of frustration but that's because he can play, people here lead you to believe he's a scrub(unless using him like I said) and that's not the case at all. I actually think he's mostly his own worst enemy but he also does't get any help with calls, probably because the refs despise how he behaves like in Kobe's case. Every time he actually makes an authoritative play, you know the offensive foul is coming. Sometimes warranted but he likely leads the league in that. What happened to his fancy and quite effective pivot move close to the basket???? The worst the hater refs can get him on that is travelling:p

SoulPlaya

more money than God
AShep said:
But neither of them can get to the rim like Rose can.

People are getting to hung up on what a point guard's role is "supposed to be". In games 1 & 2 the criticism was valid because Rose was ignoring team mates and taking bad shots. He still deserves to be criticised for ignoring his team mates tonight somewhat but he wasn't jacking the ball like he was earlier in the series.

Like seph, I can live with Rose penetrating at will and taking high-percentage shots. Sometimes like tonight the ball just won't drop but most nights if he plays like that, he's on his way to 50%+.

It seems silly to compare Rose to Deron and CP at this point in their careers. The latter 2 have shown court vision and a willingness to distribute that Rose lacks at the moment but Rose has demonstrated an athleticism and ability to penetrate that nobody's has touched since DWade 4-5 years ago. Let's also not forget that CP had 2 pantheon games in the Laker series but for the rest of it he was a non-factor. For better or worse, Rose has been involved in everything for the Bulls.

Whether he's a true PG or not is irrelevant when the fact of the matter is that he's at his best with the ball in his hands. If you slide him over to SG then you're not getting the best out of him. Sure he can hurt you (I mean the Bulls) a bit more when he's playing the point but most nights, the plusses clearly outweigh the minuses.

Let's be real here. He led his team to 62 wins with 2 of his top 3 team mates missing significant time. Yes, his faults have been on show so far in the postseason but so has his brilliance. The hate is outta control.

I know some people are going to reply with "lol LLL AShep" but i've been more than willing to call out Rose and the Bulls thus far. I just think people need to pump the brakes on the Westbrook/Iverson 2.0 shit.
He'll learn with time, and he has to. He won't last long taking the bumps that he does, and he'll learn to be a better distributor and develop a more consistent jump shot. Thankfully, he's shown enough determination to improve, and I trust he will.

etiolate

Banned
Regardless of the shots being layup attempts, Rose has to get his team working as a whole. 40% team shooting will not cut it.

The difference between Dirk and every other superstar these playoffs(maybe minus Paul's first round), is that he is using his teammates better than anyone else, despite not being a major ball handler or getting a lot of shots each game, he's getting a lot out of guys who are normally suspect in the playoffs.

giri said:
Many use boozer in the playoffs to their advantage too. Hansbrough for example just significantly upgraded how much it's going to cost to re-sign him.
You mean the same Hansbrough that was a complete nonfactor in games 2-5????? No wonder Vogel wants a new job.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I know you have been, ths guy is a huge ball of frustration but that's because he can play, people here lead you to believe he's a scrub(unless using him like I said) and that's not the case at all. I actually think he's mostly his own worst enemy but he also does't get any help with calls, probably because the refs despise how he behaves like in Kobe's case. Every time he actually makes an authoritative play, you know the offensive foul is coming. Sometimes warranted but he likely leads the league in that. What happened to his fancy and quite effective pivot move close to the basket???? The worst the hater refs can get him on that is travelling:p
Yeah, I really don't know what happened. He used to get calls going somewhat his way during the early part of the season, and the refs just stopped giving it to him. All I could think about when the refs didn't call an offensive foul when Korver took the charge tonight was how the refs called an offensive foul on Boozer in the last game, despite the fact that it was clear that Josh Smith was flopping his ass off.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
giri said:
No, he didn't. Hansbrough disappeared for much of the series.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
giri said:

Tyler Hansbrough:

Regular Season: 11.0 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 0.6 APG, .465 FG%, 0.5 SPG, 0.2 BPG
Post Season: 11.2 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 1.0 APG, .333 FG%, 1.2 SPG, 0.0 BPG

Real significant upgrade.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
You mean the same Hansbrough that was a complete nonfactor in games 2-5????? No wonder Vogel wants a new job.
Game 5
Hans: 14 & 11
Booz: 2 & 5

Game 4
Hans: 4 & 1
Booz: 15 &13

Game 3
Hans: 10 & 5
Booz: 4 & 11

Game 2
Hans: 6 & 6
Booz: 17 & 16

Game 1
Hans: 22 & 4
Booz: 12 & 6

Total:
Hans: 56 & 27
Booz: 50 & 51

Hansbrough: 1.9Mil
Boozer: 14.4Mil

Boozers gettng paid 7x as much.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
SephCast said:
Tyler Hansbrough:

Regular Season: 11.0 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 0.6 APG, .465 FG%, 0.5 SPG, 0.2 BPG
Post Season: 11.2 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 1.0 APG, .333 FG%, 1.2 SPG, 0.0 BPG

Real significant upgrade.
That's that Boozer defense. It can't be stopped.

I laugh sometimes when Boozer puts in no effort on defense, gives the guy a clean look, and the guy still misses. It's genius!

Hansbrough was Josh Smith level with the jumper in every game but the first and much worse than Smith near the basket. Please, Josh, remember for next game you are a jumpshooter.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
giri said:
Game 5
Hans: 14 & 11
Booz: 2 & 5

Game 4
Hans: 4 & 1
Booz: 15 &13

Game 3
Hans: 10 & 5
Booz: 4 & 11

Game 2
Hans: 6 & 6
Booz: 17 & 16

Game 1
Hans: 22 & 4
Booz: 12 & 6

Total:
Hans: 56 & 27
Booz: 50 & 51

Hansbrough: 1.9Mil
Boozer: 14.4Mil

Boozers gettng paid 7x as much.
Shut up. Those rebounds were important.

1. I wasn't here because of Mother's Day, only recently got home. Not avoiding NBA-AGE. I'm not like that. I take it like a man.

2. Congrats Mavs-age. Mavs earned this series. I still maintain that the Lakers have been tired and ran out of steam in the end. Mavs got hot at the right time (wow terry and peja) and once the Lakers gave away game 1, something you can't do against good teams, the Mavs got confident and with Kobe clearly slowed down and Pau checked out, the Lakers just dug themselves a hole they couldn't climb out of, anymore. Terry, Kidd, Barea, Peja, and of course Dirk were just unbelievable in this series. They played harder and smarter. Can't take anything away from the team that was hungrier.

3. Andrew Bynum. sigh. I won't defend that shit. There is no place in the game for injuring someone, even moreso because you're going home. Dallas beat Lakers and you don't try to hurt their chances going forward. Hell, you can't even commit a hard foul there. Game 2 you can commit a hard foul to send a message (Bynum's was NOT a hard foul, so don't think I'm saying his play is okay in game 2, it's NEVER okay), but not after the series is decided. Lamar is older, he should know better too, but at least his play wasn't really with intent to harm. I get they're frustrated, but come on. That shit was embarrassing. Go out with at least some class. I'm glad Kobe made a point in his presser to denounce what the team did. edit: And yes, Drew deserves a suspension to start next season.

4. It was really sad to see Phil go out like that. I won't lie, I was really sad about seeing him up on that press conference so sullen. He deserved better than what he got today. Really wish he had another home game so the fans could have given him his due. Phil's accomplishments are so astounding when you really think about it. The sport will miss him from so many angles. And I do believe this was his final game ever.

I'm sure a lot of people had fun here and the Lakers expense, and deservedly so. I look forward to them making a run next year, though at least a few changes must be made. I hope Shaw is the coach. They really need one of those midget PGs. The dynasty ain't over until we see how next season goes.

I hope Mavs win the title this year now that the purple & gold are gone. Dirk deserves it as does Kidd. Just don't let me see Terry and Peja shoot 15% in a series from 3. I swear, I will be so mad.

Didn't see the Chicago game; surprised to see them lose again.

lawlohwhat said:
lol @ all this dwight trade talk

the entitled attitude that lakers kids have is hilarious

Lakers always get star players. It's just the way it is. West/Baylor era led to Wilt/West era to Kareem/Magic to Shaq/Kobe to Kobe/Pau. team doesn't go long without a star player that takes the team to contention and eventually titles. A combination of the Celtics tradition and prestige, Miami's weather and the type of star power and attention only Hollywood can bring makes it a really attractive place for players. It's not a matter of "IF" the Lakers will get another star like Dwight, it's a matter of "WHEN".

SoulPlaya said:
Shut up. Those rebounds were important.
He's resorting to backpedalling, he actually thought Hansbrough played great in the playoffs, he must have lived vicariously through Tyler after Kurt Thomas hit him with the elbow.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
He's resorting to backpedalling, he actually thought Hansbrough played great in the playoffs, he must have lived vicariously through Tyler after Kurt Thomas hit him with the elbow.
We gotta get used to it, it seems.

MiDNiGHTS said:
All I've got to say is only this Lakers team would let Phil Jackson go out like that.

Go out like what? Why are so many people feeling bad for Phil? In 10 years people will remember the guy for 11 rings, 13 Finals appearances, 3 threepeats, this loss will be an afterthought. Phil's gonna be alright. This meant zero to his legacy.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheGreatMightyPoo said:

YEA GIRI DON'T MESS WITH BULLS AGE WE MAD TONIGHT

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Backpedalling is backing up your post with stats? by those, he should be getting paid atleast 3/4 of what boozer does, and he's a young 2nd year. He's only going to get better!

Ninja Scooter said:
Go out like what? Why are so many people feeling bad for Phil? In 10 years people will remember the guy for 11 rings, 13 Finals appearances, 3 threepeats, this loss will be an afterthought. Phil's gonna be alright. This meant zero to his legacy.

yeah, overall this doesn't tarnish his career, but it's his last fucking game and they can't even put up a fight? shameful

Ninja Scooter said:

Agree. But I'm sad he didn't get his final ovation as an active coach at staples. I know it sounds weird, but I wish they lost in game 5 and the fans would have given him his due.

not that he needs it, but it would have been nice.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
yeah, overall this doesn't tarnish his career, but it's his last fucking game and they can't even put up a fight? shameful

I'm sure it'll be eating at him at night while he polishes his 13 rings and blows loads in Jeanies throat on his Montana ranch this summer.

Puddles

Banned
etiolate said:
Well it was a body check. It's not like he got annihilated like Green Shinobi.

Right, so Bynum's hit probably got him suspended to start next season, made fans of other teams relish seeing the Lakers lose even more than they already did, AND it didn't even serve its logical purpose?

Way to be a complete failure, Bynum.

Puddles said:
Right, so Bynum's hit probably got him suspended to start next season, made fans of other teams relish seeing the Lakers lose even more than they already did, AND it didn't even serve its logical purpose?

Way to be a complete failure, Bynum.

He'll be Orlando's problem soon.

Ninja Scooter said:
Lakers did it in 89 when your avatar overworked Magic and Byron Scott's hamstrings off and they went into the Finals 11-0, only to get swept by Detroit.

Figures. Damn, it's gotta be the burnout factor?

Perhaps LeBron was not such a historian of the game then...

giri

SamuraiX- said:
So the Lakers are gonna win 92 games out of an 82 game season.

FUCKING BRILLIANT!
So a starting lineup of

CP3, Kobe, Durant, Ibaka, Howard?

You'd feel ripped off if they DIDN"T win 92 games in the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom