• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stealth Fox

bionic77 said:
Not mad at all. It was an awesome decade to be fans of both of my teams. Might be a long time (if ever) before I get to see something like it again.

And do you really think NBA GAF is as good as it used to be?

No, but I'm probably part of the problem because I've turned into an annoying Lakers-hater because my team is irrelevant.

But yes, I miss the days when DMCzaf was a fan of the T-Macs and there would be image wars.

I miss the days when the Lakers were bad and T-Mac > Kobe

The M.O.B

Udonis Haslem is ACTIVE TONIGHT!
EDIT: Beat par usual, BUT IM STILL DANCING.

dancing_fools1.gif

Zep

Banned
bionic77 said:
And do you really think NBA GAF is as good as it used to be?

A lot less people used to post. The playoffs thread this year alone has gone to about 35,000 posts...Go back 3-4 years ago and you would be lucky to have 4,000+2,000 for the finals thread.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ninja Scooter said:
There's also been a subdued tone to this thread when TCB died and we were robbed of the chance to see him meltdown after DAT FIRST ROUND EXIT.
If only he could have been unbanned for a day when the Spurs were ousted.

SUPREME1

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
There's also been a subdued tone to this thread when TCB died and we were robbed of the chance to see him meltdown after DAT FIRST ROUND EXIT.

Not to mention Brandy getting some counseling and moving on from his troubled relationship.

reilo

Zep said:
A lot less people used to post. The playoffs thread this year alone has gone to about 35,000 posts...Go back 3-4 years ago and you would be lucky to have 4,000+2,000 for the finals thread.
Three years ago we got pictures of T-Mac and Vince with their shirts off... this year we get Kate Upton GIFs.

I'm gonna go with the latter. DMZ can go with the former.

bionic77

The Stealth Fox said:
No, but I'm probably part of the problem because I've turned into an annoying Lakers-hater because my team is irrelevant.

But yes, I miss the days when DMCzaf was a fan of the T-Macs and there would be image wars.

I miss the days when the Lakers were bad and T-Mac > Kobe
At times this thread seems to turn into some kind of competition as to who can become the biggest asshole or douchebag. Before it used to be a lot more fun without a lot of the (what I assume is) teenage back and forth. Hopefully once some of these new characters get a drivers license and touch a few bewbs they will mellow out.

Nice reminiscing for a while. Time to leave work and go back to "reality"...

Zep said:
That makes it better. Even back then 70% of posts were not well thought out. With the increase of members and post counts you just get more garbage. It is impossible to follow this thread now unless that is all you do.

reilo

bionic77 said:
At times this thread seems to turn into some kind of competition as to who can become the biggest asshole or douchebag. Before it used to be a lot more fun without a lot of the (what I assume is) teenage back and forth. Hopefully once some of these new characters get a drivers license and touch a few bewbs they will mellow out.

That makes it better. Even back then 70% of posts were not well thought out. With the increase of members and post counts you just get more garbage. It is impossible to follow this thread now unless that is all you do.
Man, Trax is almost damn near 30 years old.

The Stealth Fox

bionic77 said:

It was amazing. I came around the 2006 season and it was a lot of fun seeing the Rockets vs. Lakers matchups in this thread, because they'd have the biggest -ages. It was amazing how everyone would complain about how Yao didn't get the goddamn ball.

Sanjuro

I just was thinking. Rondo has a memorable postseason moment from game three, best thing LeBron has to compare to that feat was quitting on his team last season.

Gigglepoo

LovingSteam said:
He's right. Ray Allen makes Reggie look like a benchwarmer.

Reggie was considered significantly better before Ray joined the Celtics. Turns out it's much easier to score if you're the third best player on your own team. Go figure.

giri

Blackface said:
Dirk is getting so fucking over-rated in this thread right now.

He is a great player but mother of god, please stop.
People have been saying the same thing about vince and bosh.

The Stealth Fox

Gigglepoo said:
Reggie was considered significantly better before Ray joined the Celtics. Turns out it's much easier to score if you're the third best player on your own team. Go figure.

I never said anything about Ray Allen though. He brought him into the discussion. I'd put Ray in the Hall of Really Good also.

Gigglepoo said:

Reggie didn't play D like Ray Allen. Reggie didn't come off the screen like Ray Allen. Reggie wasn't as good of a finisher as Ray Allen. The best player in Pacers history has been eclipsed by Jesus in every possible category. Go figure.

jman2050

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I just was thinking. Rondo has a memorable postseason moment from game three, best thing LeBron has to compare to that feat was quitting on his team last season.

Pretty sure if the Celts lose this series no one will ever remember game 3. Much like no one will ever remember Lebron's 3 from then 2009 ECF.

Sanjuro

jman2050 said:
Pretty sure if the Celts lose this series no one will ever remember game 3. Much like no one will ever remember Lebron's 3 from then 2009 ECF.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Locally we are hearing about it a bit more, but Rondo's performance is already a notable mark on the all time history books for postseason play.

Gigglepoo

The Stealth Fox said:
I never said anything about Ray Allen though. He brought him into the discussion. I'd put Ray in the Hall of Really Good also.

Do you think the HoF is reserved for superstars*? Because I don't consider Reggie on that level. If that's your argument, I would agree.

*Superstar = could be the best player on a championship team. I think Reggie would have been an amazing #2.

Gigglepoo said:
Do you think the HoF is reserved for superstars*? Because I don't consider Reggie on that level. If that's your argument, I would agree.

*Superstar = could be the best player on a championship team. I think Reggie would have been an amazing #3.

Fixed.

Real talk questions for NBA-GAF

1. Would the Grizz have swept the Lakers?
2. Who was the worst player in this year's playoffs that averaged at least 10 minutes per game?

For me the answers are:

1. Yes
2. Bogans or Bonner....it's a toss up

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Thunder forward Kevin Durant has reportedly purchased a condo in a luxury high-rise in Miami.

According to the South Florida Business Journal, a company affiliated with Durant bought a $1.825 million unit at 900 Biscayne Boulevard. The company, K. Durant Enterprises, closed on the property on March 30, according to the report. The unit is a three-bedroom, 3,535-square-foot condo.
It's all downhill from here.

The Stealth Fox

Gigglepoo said:

*Superstar = could be the best player on a championship team. I think Reggie would have been an amazing #2.

Pretty much what it is. The words "Hall of Famer" gets thrown around too lightly nowadays, just like "All NBA First Team Defense".

Reggie would have been a very good number 2.

Sanjuro

obijkenobi said:

2. Who was the worst player in this year's playoffs that averaged at least 10 minutes per game?

For me the answers are:

1. Yes
1. No.
2. Kobe.

giri

obijkenobi said:

For me the answers are:

1. Yes
1.Yes.
2.Asik, Chalmers, the knicks

jman2050

I would put neither Reggie nor Ray in the hall of fame, at least not right away.

obijkenobi said:

1. Nah
2. Can I just post the entire Orlando Magic roster sans Dwight? [/bitter]

reilo

obijkenobi said:

For me the answers are:

1. Yes
1. Yes
2. Rudy Fernandez

Cloudy

Banned

1. No - Grizz don't have the shooting to spread LA out and Pau would try extra hard vs. his brother and old team. Plus Grizz wouldn't get calls like Dallas did in LA

2. Fisher and it's not close. CP3 revival and now JJ Barrea is a household name lol

jman2050

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
weekend_warrior - Yankees / Lakers
jman - Yankees / Magic
Frankman - Mets / Knicks

...am I missing something here?

Orlando was the local team when I started following the NBA somewhat seriously. I latched onto them the season before T-Mac came to town, and have been aligned with them ever since.

Sanjuro

jman2050 said:
Orlando was the local team when I started following the NBA somewhat seriously. I latched onto them the season before T-Mac came to town, and have been aligned with them ever since.
I just always had the local team/family aspect. Your combo is not really a douche one unlike weekend. One my dad took me to the Garden, it was like a flow of knowledge of what I had to do.

I would have said Fisher, but Laker fans told me he would be good for another few years. :/

reilo

LovingSteam said:
Well to be fair, the person who said that also thinks Bosh is the best PF in the league.
Any time you can lead the league in scoring at 31.4PPG while shooting 39.8FG%, you gotta be proclaimed better than Dirk Nowitzki.

giri

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I just always had the local team/family aspect. Your combo is not really a douche one unlike weekend. One my dad took me to the Garden, it was like a flow of knowledge of what I had to do.

I would have said Fisher, but Laker fans told me he would be good for another few years. :/
Could be worse, you could be a FC Barca & Lakers fan, eh omiee?

Zep

Banned
reilo said:
Any time you can lead the league in scoring at 31.4PPG while shooting 39.8FG%, you gotta be proclaimed better than Dirk Nowitzki.

Don't be an asshole. Round that shit up to 40!

reilo said:

Well to be fair, Iverson had a horrible team while Dirk has had the dream team the last 12 years.

jman2050

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

The family aspect formed my allegiances for MLB/NBA/NHL early, but no one in my family really gave a shit about basketball outside of being part of the large 'OMG JORDAN' contingent of the 90's. So to me it makes sense why the NBA is different for me.

Alternatively: What self-respecting sports junkie would ever willingly become a Knicks fan?

giri

Black Mamba said:
Did I just read Iverson had a 10 year peak? Oh Canada.
To be fair, he was still scoring at a high rate, so from 96 - 07 he did score well. But he became more injury prone, and started turning the ball over more. But there's no way he was at his "peak" for 10 years. Not, take over games at will, peak.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Is that a fast food restaurant?

Barcelona, the soccer super club in spain. But i presume you're just trolling.

Most everyone agrees that Andrew Bynum’s hit on J.J. Barea was uncalled for, even if the Lakers center was frustrated by the Mavericks’ huge lead. But his elbow to upper body in a hotly contested playoff game certainly is not unprecedented in Lakers’ lore.

Yep, Magic Johnson, the same person who called the Bynum’s and Lamar Odom’s late-game fouls “classless acts”, once committed a similar move on Isiah Thomas.

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/05/09/bynums-elbow-play-lakers-fans-have-seen-it-before/54583/

Oh Magic, you so crazy.

Sanjuro

jman2050 said:
The family aspect formed my allegiances for MLB/NBA/NHL early, but no one in my family really gave a shit about basketball outside of being part of the large 'OMG JORDAN' contingent of the 90's. So to me it makes sense why the NBA is different for me.

Alternatively: What self-respecting sports junkie would ever willingly become a Knicks fan?
Some New Yorkers, sure. I still remember leaving my apartment in Brooklyn the day after the Celtics won in 2008 to people yelling "Go Celtics" and cheering/honking at me. Took me completely off guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom