• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

Vahagn

So does Derrick Rose in the playoffs not count

He shut him down for half a quarter. Then he was given the task of shutting down Jet during the fourth quarter the very next playoff series, we know how that played out.

While Bron played great defensive on Rose for half a quarter in each of those games, that was partly due to Rose being at that stage for the first time in his career and making young gun mistakes during pressure situations in the ECF. Coming up small and settling for jump shots in pressure situations is something Lebron is all too familiar with. I don't see anyone saying Barea shut down Lebron.

To a 10 time ALL NBA Defensive First Team Selection? Really? Next you'll come with "I never said Jordan was a bad finisher around the rim, just not that Great. and that Lebron is better"

Lebron's better than Kobe on defense in one respect, his ability, due to his size, to play 4 positions defensively. But that doesn't make him better. Just like Magic's ability to play 5 positions in a Finals Game and jump ball at Center doesn't make him better than MJ.

Lebron may end up as a better defender than Prime Kobe, but he ain't there yet.

Also, and this must be said. Lebron has never been able to stop Wade either. Wade, Carmelo they routinely would torch Lebron. Melo still does. And Lebron joined Wade so the abuse would stop.
Kobe's defensive accolades are some of the biggest frauds in league history. Please. League defensive awards are generally jokes. So is the myth of Kobe being an elite defender.

Oh and I don't know if you knew this but generally stars toast whoever guards them. You gonna act like bron doesn't regularly body the Allstars he faced/faces on the offensive end? You gonna act like Kobe didn't get bent over on the regular by the likes of AI and Tmac?

kobe shut down top tier offensive players in his heyday.
whats' the best lebron has done besides the "science of the lebron block"?
Lol what?

vrxRJ.png

Bcstj.png

Get off my team.

EDIT: man, this retina display really fucks with screenshot dpi.

Canuck76

Banned
To a 10 time ALL NBA Defensive First Team Selection? Really? Next you'll come with "I never said Jordan was a bad finisher around the rim, just not that Great. and that Lebron is better"

Lebron's better than Kobe on defense in one respect, his ability, due to his size, to play 4 positions defensively. But that doesn't make him better. Just like Magic's ability to play 5 positions in a Finals Game and jump ball at Center doesn't make him better than MJ.

Lebron may end up as a better defender than Prime Kobe, but he ain't there yet.

Also, and this must be said. Lebron has never been able to stop Wade either. Wade, Carmelo they routinely would torch Lebron. Melo still does. And Lebron joined Wade so the abuse would stop.

He's already there. He's been there for some time.

Vahagn

Kobe's defensive accolades are some of the biggest frauds in league history. Please. League defensive awards are generally jokes. So is the myth of Kobe being an elite defender.

Oh and I don't know if you knew this but generally stars toast whoever guards them. You gonna act like bron doesn't regularly body the Allstars he faced/faces on the offensive end? You gonna act like Kobe didn't get bent over on the regular by the likes of AI and Tmac?

Lol what?

You really aren't a great debater.

You: that highlight was one play, Wade and Lebron usually go off on Kobe he's not a good defender

Me: Wade and Melo go off on Lebron too, what's your point?

You: Well Lebron's offense is unstoppable. Those guys can't guard him.

Me: Uhhhh

Literally your only point still standing is "League Defensive Awards aren't credible"...but of course, that doesn't actually say anything against Kobe from a factual standpoint - all it does is De-legitimize the award voting mechanism. You still haven't given me any semblance of objective proof that Kobe's defensive prime is worse than Lebron now. None. Just making useless arguments like saying Lebron's offense somehow mitigates him being torched by Melo and Wade on the nightly?

Lebron is significantly better in one respect than Kobe was. He can defend all 5 positions better than Kobe could. But as I pointed out. Magic can play all 5 positions better than Jordan could. Doesn't make him the better player does it?

Less than 5 rebounds a game for a guy who's 7-feet tall is inexcusable.

Think about it. At that height, you're basically guaranteed to have at least one rebound hit you in the face per quarter. Adjusted for that his rebounding is even more pathetic. It means he only actually reaches out and grabs one once or twice a week.

He shut him down for half a quarter. Then he was given the task of shutting down Jet during the fourth quarter the very next playoff series, we know how that played out.

While Bron played great defensive on Rose for half a quarter in each of those games, that was partly due to Rose being at that stage for the first time in his career and making young gun mistakes during pressure situations in the ECF. Coming up small and settling for jump shots in pressure situations is something Lebron is all too familiar with. I don't see anyone saying Barea shut down Lebron.
All you need to know about Lebron and his defense on Rose that series, is what Derrick had to say in the post conference about it. Like dude seriously, just stop.

KingKong

You still haven't given me any semblance of objective proof that Kobe's defensive prime is worse than Lebron now. ?

LeBron's defensive rating is 3 points better in the regular seaso and 5 points better in the playoffs. Kobe's best defense rating is 98 in 2000, LeBrons is 97 last year

Vahagn

How could anybody honestly think Kobe was ever a better defender than Lebron?

By watching Basketball from the Prime Kobe-Shaq years, that's how.

By Lebron's own admission, he only started playing defense after 5 seasons in the league, after the 2008 Olympic experience, and watching Kobe play defense.

His greatest ability is his ability to play multiple positions defensively, it's Pippen-esque in that regard. Although no where near Pippen

LeBron's defensive rating is 3 points better in the regular seaso and 5 points better in the playoffs. Kobe's best defense rating is 98 in 2000, LeBrons is 97 last year

So I'm right then? Kobe's best defensive peak is above Lebron's best defensive peak so far. That's my only argument. Not about how it is now, or has been for 3 years. Shadowlark said that Lebron's defense is better than Kobe's ever was.

You really aren't a great debater.

You: that highlight was one play, Wade and Lebron usually go off on Kobe he's not a good defender

Me: Wade and Melo go off on Lebron too, what's your point?

You: Well Lebron's offense is unstoppable. Those guys can't guard him.

Me: Uhhhh

Literally your only point still standing is "League Defensive Awards aren't credible"...but of course, that doesn't actually say anything against Kobe from a factual standpoint - all it does is De-legitimize the award voting mechanism. You still haven't given me any semblance of objective proof that Kobe's defensive prime is worse than Lebron now. None. Just making useless arguments like saying Lebron's offense somehow mitigates him being torched by Melo and Wade on the nightly?

Lebron is significantly better in one respect than Kobe was. He can defend all 5 positions better than Kobe could. But as I pointed out. Magic can play all 5 positions better than Jordan could. Doesn't make him the better player does it?
Ugh..

1. Highlights of one sequence or play when discussing a seasonal body of work is completely fucking useless and irrelevant. Completely.

2. Wade, Lebron, Tmac, AI etc did all torch Kobe with regularity. A couple of highlight videos dont change that. Which leads to the third point....

3. Stars generally light up whoever that's guarding them, other stars included. You trying to post videos of one play and trying to say "but but Bron gets lit up" are called false inferences.

Non of these points are mutually exclusive. They don't contradict each other. They aren't disjointed.

The fact that you are seemingly trying to hang your head on unicorn-league "objective proof" on a subject that's almost purely subjective shows how homerish and juvenile your argument is. I like Bron as the better defender now than Kobe had ever been, and I think quite a few agree. You don't. So fucking what? You don't have to defend Kobe's honor till your deathbed you damn clown. I'm done.

Oh yeah, and defensive awards are shit. I feel the same way about Kobe's accolades as I do most of LBJ's.

Vahagn

Ugh..

1. Highlights of one sequence or play when discussing a seasonal body of work is completely fucking useless and irrelevant. Completely.

2. Wade, Lebron, Tmac, AI etc did all torch Kobe with regularity. A couple of highlight videos dont change that. Which leads to the third point....

3. Stars generally light up whoever that's guarding them, other stars included. You trying to post videos of one play and trying to say "but but Bron gets lit up" are called false inferences.

Non of these points are mutually exclusive. They don't contradict each other. They aren't disjointed.

The fact that you are seemingly trying to hang your head on unicorn-league "objective proof" on a subject that's almost purely subjective shows how homerish and juvenile your argument is. I like Bron as the better defender now than Kobe had ever been, and I think quite a few agree. You don't. So fucking what? You don't have to defend Kobe's honor till your deathbed you damn clown. I'm done.

Oh yeah, and defensive awards are shit. I feel the same way about Kobe's accolades as I do most of LBJ's.

Simmer down buddy. So as I understand it, it boils down to...

You: I have no objective proof and I don't believe in it, I don't believe in videos, I don't believe in accolades, I don't believe in head to head matchups, I don't believe in objective analysis. I'm right cuz I said so, now stop having an opinion other than mine or asking me to validate it. I "Like" Lebron more, others agree. That's enough of an educated argument.

Cool. So that's where you're at. Moving on.

Individual defense is one of the least objective measures in basketball. Anybody who doesn't understand that fundamental point isn't meant to be taken seriously. Defensive stats are shit which is why I won't even bring them into play, even though most of them objectively support my opinion. Clowns gonna clown though.

Branduil

If I'm building an all defensive squad, I'm picking Lebron over prime Kobe first.

If I'm building an all defensive squad I don't pick either.

This gave me a weird thought, what if you made a basketball league where each time has 10 players but only 5 can stay on each side of the court.

giri

This gave me a weird thought, what if you made a basketball league where each time has 10 players but only 5 can stay on each side of the court.

Would be terrible and defensively dominated.

Just before leave the pavilion, Calderón chatted a few seconds with the rival basis Chauncey Billups, who came to wish him luck in the future. "In June you can get in a good position to be in a winning team," said the veteran manager game. Moments later, Calderon wrote on the social network Twitter: "You are running out of words, each time I find it harder to write after games."

... >_>

linsivvi

Or make it a half court game. First half your team plays offense and second half your team plays defense. Game ends in the second half when the second team outscores the first team or time expires.

Have we discussed how pitiful the West's power-forwards have been this year?

imgtim-duncan5.jpg

giri

Oh good, Williams for Dudley is finally happening.

I wish.

Also, people keep asking why kendall marshall is getting no playing time and why he was sent to the d-league

Rookie point guard Kendall Marshall’s latest two D-League games at Reno resulted in blowout losses and ugly stat lines.

In the two games combined, Marshall made 5 of 20 shots (1 of 6 3-pointers) for 11 points and committed 11 turnovers with nine assists.

Vahagn

I wish.

Also, people keep asking why kendall marshall is getting no playing time and why he was sent to the d-league

Wasn't that the guy they were talking about as having incredible court vision and natural PG abilities during the draft?

Top Bottom