• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

exarkun

In terms of rebounds, assists and defense he was close to the NBA's top tier wings, Lebron and Jordan, before the injuries.

I think Hill at his absolute best could have been a 25ppg, 10rpg, 6apg guy with 55%ts. He was an hall of fame lock before the ankle injuries. A dominant player who bought into team play and made a terrible detroit team into a playoff regular.

3pt shooting was Hill's only weakness. And as a ft shooter he was only good. In everything else he was elite. He had one of the best first steps I ever saw. Carmelo has an elite first step, but next to Hill Carmelo looks like he's making his move under water. And Hill's crossovers were fucking savage. He had one of best hand to hand crossovers I ever seen. His hand to hand crossover stole many a souls in the grind out era of basketball.

Hill was also kind of like Charles Barkley with more perimeter skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhd5SWS8u4Y

music made me tear up a little.

giri

He was never going to be a double double guy

And averaged 25+ only 1 season

I see him being about 24-8-7 basically a tripdub waiting to happen

Thats probably fair. He was insanely good though, and great work ethic, and always a good leader. If he was healthy .... sigh, dude was just so good to watch. He was almost to SG's / SF what TD was to PF's. Just so sound fundamentally.

To me anyway.

Thats probably fair. He was insanely good though, and great work ethic, and always a good leader. If he was healthy .... sigh, dude was just so good to watch. He was almost to SG's / SF what TD was to PF's. Just so sound fundamentally.

To me anyway.

Hill and hakeem were the alternative lifestyle picks for favorite mid-90s players. Fuck an mj. Fuck a snaq.

pilonv1

original.jpg

charsace

He was never going to be a double double guy

And averaged 25+ only 1 season

I see him being about 24-8-7 basically a tripdub waiting to happen

You have to remember that at the time he played the game was playing the roughest, slowest pace ball that we ever saw. When Hill played you needed a mid range jumper and toughness to get to the basket unlike now where teams play faster, you have a ton of slashers, and pg's are unstoppable because you can't ride guys and direct them anymore with you hands. And big men are softer now than they ever have been. Bigs used to demolish slashers real bad. Right before Hill left Detroit the league was transitioning into a softer, hands off, faster paced league. I think he would have grabbed 10 boards a game one season just because there would be a few where the bigs were absolutely terrible and the pace would have been up. And his scoring would have went up because wouldn't have to work nearly as hard to get to the basket and would have to worry about a getting funneled into getting brained like we used to see in the grime them up and grind them out era. Things are way softer now. This is the same league anymore. You aren't gonna see guys doing thing like murdering cats at allstar games(they did this to Shaq in his first allstar game and maybe the second one too). I think Hill would have had the double-double one season. Hell, Hill had one injury shortened season in Orlando where he was grabbing close to 9rb a game. I think a healthy hill would have had a 25 and 10 season.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
You have to remember that at the time he played the game was playing the roughest, slowest pace ball that we ever saw. When Hill played you needed a mid range jumper and toughness to get to the basket unlike now where teams play faster, you have a ton of slashers, and pg's are unstoppable because you can't ride guys and direct them anymore with you hands. And big men are softer now than they ever have been. Bigs used to demolish slashers real bad. Right before Hill left Detroit the league was transitioning into a softer, hands off, faster paced league. I think he would have grabbed 10 boards a game one season just because there would be a few where the bigs were absolutely terrible and the pace would have been up. And his scoring would have went up because wouldn't have to work nearly as hard to get to the basket and would have to worry about a getting funneled into getting brained like we used to see in the grime them up and grind them out era. Things are way softer now. This is the same league anymore. You aren't gonna see guys doing thing like murdering cats at allstar games(they did this to Shaq in his first allstar game and maybe the second one too). I think Hill would have had the double-double one season. Hell, Hill had one injury shortened season in Orlando where he was grabbing close to 9rb a game. I think a healthy hill would have had a 25 and 10 season.

for 14 games..

he was closer his 2nd year where he avg 9.8 a game..

charsace

Chars, you're understating how hard is it to average a double-double in the NBA.
No I'm not. Grant Hill was that damn good. Dude never gets the respect that should. He was elite. He was scrappy and he had heart. There's a reason why athletic dudes like Allan Houston were content to make their living from midrange even though they had the tools to get to the basket; dudes would fuck you up and there was always a good chance that slasher would get something for constantly going to the basket. It isn't like now where refs jump on the flagrant train whenever a guy gets touch in the upper body. Every team had a couple of guys that would lay out slashers and would mix it up when fighting for rebounding position and they gave no fucks about it. Now its rare. A player like Hill would have put up crazy numbers after the rule changes and the influx of crappy bigs into the league. He would have got a 25 and 10 in Orlando if he didn't suffer from the terrible injuries. The rules soften the game and the big men sucked. Injury free Hill would have feasted on the league at the time.

The league is soft now, almost every guard loves to slash. If this was still the physical NBA a lot of these guys would be making their living from midrange like most of the perimeter players in grind ball era.

charsace

this planet just isn't for me

He's an idiot. He could make serious bank in China. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Starbury is one of the few former NBA basketball players that is smart. He realized that China was starving for a former player to embrace the country and the culture. Steph did that and he's like a god over there now. They built a statue for him and right now he's making bank.

TMac, AI and others are idiots. They need to accept their current situation and try to find some positives in playing in other leagues.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Raptors with only 9 players available, but Nets on the end of a home-away back-to-back. Toronto will only lose by a dozen tonight!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
He's an idiot. He could make serious bank in China. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Starbury is one of the few former NBA basketball players that is smart. He realized that China was starving for a former player to embrace the country and the culture. Steph did that and he's like a god over there now. They built a statue for him and right now he's making bank.

HE'S DEAD

LEAVE HIM ALONE

charsace

HE'S DEAD

LEAVE HIM ALONE

People said the same thing about Starbury. McGrady still has enough in the tank to come off the bench for a team in the NBA so he could be a top player China if he gave a shit. That picture shows why no teams showed interest in him. He a guy that stopped giving a fuck because he feels that working hard won't make him a top player. If he worked at it he would still be a good player right now. A lot of his physical fall off is a result of him giving up.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
People said the same thing about Starbury. McGrady still has enough in the tank to come off the bench for a team in the NBA so he could be a top player China if he gave a shit. That picture shows why no teams showed interest in him. He a guy that stopped giving a fuck because he feels that working hard won't make him a top player. If he worked at it he would still be a good player right now. A lot of his physical fall off is a result of him giving up.

No. Not the same with Starbury at all.

Teams paid Marbury to go away because he'd be suspended from games then troll the entire organization by buying courtside tickets. Marbury was eating vaseline while having meltdowns on webcams.

McGrady is just a husk. There's nothing there anymore.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You guys are making a lot out of one picture. Maybe he was already sitting there, waiting to be subbed in, timeout was called, and coach started before he had a chance to get up? Maybe the coach doesn't speak English, and McGrady wouldn't know what's going on? Maybe he was getting it in sign language? Maybe he was praying? Maybe he was shot with a tranquilizer dart, and fell asleep? Maybe he was powering up? Maybe he was contemplating how he should dominate the game? HUH?!?!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Valanciunas and Davis combined 8 for 9 in the first quarter. Pietrus shoots the ball as soon as he touches it, every time.

Raptors are so much better without Bargs' typical 3 for 15, 3 rebound performance. If BC can't trade him, fire him and hire someone that can.

giri

Valanciunas and Davis combined 8 for 9 in the first quarter. Pietrus shoots the ball as soon as he touches it, every time.

Raptors are so much better without Bargs' typical 3 for 15, 3 rebound performance. If BC can't trade him, fire him and hire someone that can.

Yeah.... it was sort of hidden in Orlando. But Pietrus is a selfish dick with the ball. Over rates the living shit out of his own offensive ability, and quits on the defensive end when he gets told that he's not that good on O and to pull his head in.

It's why the suns struggled with him on the floor, he killed offensive flow.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ross can sure dunk, but I thought he was actually supposed to be able to shoot.

Argrhrh, Pietrus back in for beasting Ed Davis.

Top Bottom