• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...58/heres-why-the-lakers-have-been-so-terrible

Kobe Bryant with that spectacular defensive effort. How could anyone in the world say that he plays no defense.

I'll fully admit he's played nearly no defense this season. His rotations have been comically bad.

But this is the first season you could apply that claim.

That said, turnovers are the problem, not half-court defense (though end of game half-court D has been weak). As bad as Kobe has been on defense, they have still done good enough at it in situations not resulting from a live ball turnover.

giri

Vince Carter will definitely get in. And if we're putting Grant Hill in for basically 6 transcendent years plus college, McGrady should get in, too. His peak was about 6-7 years and it was that good.

I dunno about Vince defenitely.

Only one on that list i think is a lock is AI.

Grant would be the other most likely.

The rest.... depends who they are on the ballot against.

Vahagn

There are too many undeserving people in the HOF. But I guess with the current standards:

AI is a lock

Hill probably second most deserving

The other three shouldn't.

He’s the only NBA team owner who can hold his own on the court against current players, and occasionally, Michael Jordan will suit up and hoop against his Charlotte Bobcats. Yesterday, MJ provided some on-the-court instruction to his young team (video of the practice can be seen here.) Per the Charlotte Observer: “It has become an unofficial annual event: Bobcats owner Michael Jordan shows up at a home practice in workout clothes. He watches, he instructs, he gets the old itch. Eventually he wanders out onto the court and ends up playing one-on-one with the midsize guys.

This year it was Gerald Henderson and rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, with injured Tyrus Thomas throwing Jordan entry passes. Everyone left smiling, and maybe a little more savvy about basketball, too. ‘He’s the best ever to play and he’s still got that competitive nature. He always feels he can help you,’ said team captain Henderson. ‘We played one-one-one. That’s always fun. He wants to win.’ How much does a 49-year-old Jordan have left? ‘He’s still got it. He can still shoot,’ Henderson said. ‘I don’t know about his defense, but he can still score.’ Jordan’s participation started out with him showing Kidd-Gilchrist some post moves. It escalated into some one-on-one.

Naturally, players started migrating over to form an audience. Then Henderson, a former Duke Blue Devil, joined in against Jordan, a former North Carolina Tar Heel. Everyone knew what that meant. Henderson is coming back from a sprained foot. Jordan has said he likes how Henderson doesn’t just defer to him. ‘He’s a basketball genius,’ Henderson said. ‘But I don’t know if he wants to see me in a couple of months.’ This was Jordan’s first hands-on practice with the players since coach Mike Dunlap came aboard. Dunlap said this might have served as a pick-me-up with the Bobcats on an eight-game losing streak.”
Upset city tonight
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/video/2012/12/11/121211jordanworkoutmov-2322503

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Cousins suspended for 1 game for punching Mayo in the nuts.

Figured it'd be more.

Sean Elliot's pride > OJ Mayo's burning nuts
‘He’s a basketball genius,’ Henderson said. ‘But I don’t know if he wants to see me in a couple of months.’
Its been real, Henderson

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
anigif_enhanced-buzz-10240-1355279704-0.gif

exarkun

I Hope Mr. Bigflop is ashamed of what he has become.

Yes Brandi, I would like to see the Clippers chip. They play a fun sort of basketball.

And moris-kun, don't curse him like that. Else your team will be hit with the type of injuries that have plagued his caree...oooooo nooooooo.

JoeFu

Banned
Nintendo Land is the jam.

Unlike Vince "fadeaway layup" Carter, amiriteguys?

Nintendo Land is pretty jamming, haven't played that in about a week though. My favorite Wince moment was that Lakers game where he had a chance for the game winning shot, bricked it then was out two weeks with a foot injury.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Is there more context to that quote or does it mean what it sounds like?

It means Henderson finally thinks he can beat MJ one on one (its been going on since his rookie year) and now feels comfortable talking the slightest forms of shit.

We all saw what happened to Brandan Wright and JRich...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Despite all his unbelievable injuries, Grant Hill still has 17,000 points in his career.

giri

Despite all his unbelievable injuries, Grant Hill still has 17,000 points in his career.

He's also done a lot for the Class of the NBA. He's won the Sportmanship of the year award 3 or 4 times?

He's probably done as much off the court as on the court (jokes about injuries here).

charsace

There are too many undeserving people in the HOF. But I guess with the current standards:

AI is a lock

Hill probably second most deserving

The other three shouldn't.

Vince has a chance at the Hall. Not first ballet, but he has a chance.

Grant Hill will go. Only people that didn't really watch the game when he played would say he doesn't deserve it. Dude was a Lebron-like player before all the injuries. I still think he would have lead a team to a title. Too bad for him Detroit couldn't keep Allan Houston.

Faton aka RFat aka Overweight Russian Roulette. He loves NYC though so he will be good most of the time.

grant hill or brandon roy: who is the more disappointing injury story? Hill looks like he will get into the hof and was a more well rounded player, but who knows how good broy could have been if the blazers hadn't imploded.

Jeff-DSA

grant hill or brandon roy: who is the more disappointing injury story? Hill looks like he will get into the hof and was a more well rounded player, but who knows how good broy could have been if the blazers hadn't imploded.

Hill had more going for him. Roy is just more fresh on everybody's minds.

charsace

Grant Hill. He was head and shoulders above Roy even though Roy was good. Hill was a once in a generation talent like Jordan, Lebron, Magic, Penny, Oden, Ralph Sampson etc.

Omega

Banned

damn you must be extremely bored.

exarkun

It doesn't surprise me at all to see a Rockets fan like what the Clippers do.

Blakes the only real bitch on the team. Crawford has been sploogetastic this season on multiple occasions, Bledsoe is explosive, Jordan obviously improved his offensive game, and CP3 is Cp3 (I liked that hit that guy in the nuts at wakeforest).

The team has a ton of people who want to improve their games in order to win. Can't deny the thirst man.

charsace

Hill had a longer time of being healthy

Roy's numbers are comparable

Roy's scoring numbers were. We never got to see a prime Hill because of injuries, but even then Hills numbers in regards to rebounds and assists were closer to Jordan and Lebron than to Roy's. Hill was an elite defender. The only thing that Hill didn't do at an elite level was shoot the 3.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Roy's scoring numbers were. We never got to see a prime Hill because of injuries, but even then Hills numbers in regards to rebounds and assists were closer to Jordan and Lebron than to Roy's. Hill was an elite defender. The only thing that Hill didn't do at an elite level was shoot the 3.

We didnt get to see a prime Roy as well

If not mistaken we saw more of uninjured Hill than Roy

Roy was also rounded and shot quite well

Hill was like the original eventual successor to Jordan (in the media/hype that is).

Hill 26-7-5 with 1.5 steals in his last year in Detroit on 50% efg% (he didn't shoot many 3s). Only real downside to his game was being below 80% from the FT line. He wasn't bad but most elite wings/guards are over 80%.

His game was so fluid. Lost some real talent with him and Penny during that time frame.

edit: Hill also did this with different hand-check rules.

charsace

Hill was never MJ-tier

what in the fuck

In terms of rebounds, assists and defense he was close to the NBA's top tier wings, Lebron and Jordan, before the injuries.

I think Hill at his absolute best could have been a 25ppg, 10rpg, 6apg guy with 55%ts. He was an hall of fame lock before the ankle injuries. A dominant player who bought into team play and made a terrible detroit team into a playoff regular.

3pt shooting was Hill's only weakness. And as a ft shooter he was only good. In everything else he was elite. He had one of the best first steps I ever saw. Carmelo has an elite first step, but next to Hill Carmelo looks like he's making his move under water. And Hill's crossovers were fucking savage. He had one of best hand to hand crossovers I ever seen. His hand to hand crossover stole many a souls in the grind out era of basketball.

Hill was also kind of like Charles Barkley with more perimeter skills.

Where have I seen this movie before?

I honestly think LBJ did want to win in Cleveland too, but management made some awful decisions in his last couple years there. Still, Rubio is probably better than anybody the Cavs had to help LBJ. On the other hand, they still haven't seen the playoffs since 2004, so a championship feels a long way out of reach right now.

We didnt get to see a prime Roy as well

If not mistaken we saw more of uninjured Hill than Roy

Roy was also rounded and shot quite well

I think we did see roy as good as he was going to be defensively, though. Which was not nearly as solid as ghill. I think the only thing that could keep roy in the conversation is if the blazers had chipped a couple times, and that is a HUGE if even with a healthy roy/oden.

Blackace

Hill was like the original eventual successor to Jordan (in the media/hype that is).

Hill 26-7-5 with 1.5 steals in his last year in Detroit on 50% efg% (he didn't shoot many 3s). Only real downside to his game was being below 80% from the FT line. He wasn't bad but most elite wings/guards are over 80%.

His game was so fluid. Lost some real talent with him and Penny during that time frame.

edit: Hill also did this with different hand-check rules.

In terms of rebounds, assists and defense he was close to the NBA's top tier wings, Lebron and Jordan, before the injuries.

I think Hill at his absolute best could have been a 25ppg, 10rpg, 6apg guy with 55%ts. He was an hall of fame lock before the ankle injuries. A dominant player who bought into team play and made a terrible detroit team into a playoff regular.

3pt shooting was Hill's only weakness. And as a ft shooter he was only good. In everything else he was elite. He had one of the best first steps I ever saw. Carmelo has an elite first step, but next to Hill Carmelo looks like he's making his move under water. And Hill's crossovers were fucking savage. He had one of best hand to hand crossovers I ever seen. His hand to hand crossover stole many a souls in the grind out era of basketball.

Hill was also kind of like Charles Barkley with more perimeter skills.

He was never going to be a double double guy

And averaged 25+ only 1 season

I see him being about 24-8-7 basically a tripdub waiting to happen

Blackace

I think we did see roy as good as he was going to be defensively, though. Which was not nearly as solid as ghill. I think the only thing that could keep roy in the conversation is if the blazers had chipped a couple times, and that is a HUGE if even with a healthy roy/oden.

He has as many rings as Hill

Top Bottom