• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

chris-paul-lebron-james-121b_crop_340x234.jpg

it's inevitable

Kobe_Bryant_and_Chris_Paul.png

Flash

"It's Pau who has to expand his game, and he'll expand out in the corner threes and he needs to take a couple, and we'll get him in the post when we can," D'Antoni said, emphasizing those last three words.

Right... an NBA championship and gold medalist who is likely on his last legs needs to expand his game. A guy who has primarily been a low post player is going to start camping out at the 3 point line?

Either make some personnel changes ASAP or start making game plans that works for the team, and not just for the sake of promoting a certain system.

Good god D'Antoni is a terrible coach. I take back any good things I've said about him.

The Wolves are apparently talking to the Sixers about Dorell Wright. I'm okay with this.

Dorell just had his first good game of the season last night....but sure.

D-Will for Dorrell straight up?

no thanks...I don't want to see what Doug would do to his soul.

Thad Young is what he is at this point. They need as much upside as they can with the position they are in.

Thad is probably DWill ceiling at best tho...and Thad doesn't try to be who he isn't.

Thad is also perhaps my favorite player on our team...so I am biased as fuck.

KingKong

The Wolves are apparently talking to the Sixers about Dorell Wright. I'm okay with this.

Wright + Bynum for Love + Williams, take a chance

Bynum and Rubio would own, Sixers need rebounding, sure Bynums not healthy but he's a way better player and you'd have to trade Love sometime anyway

Right... an NBA championship and gold medalist who is likely on his last legs needs to expand his game. A guy who has primarily been a low post player is going to start camping out at the 3 point line?

Either make some personnel changes ASAP or start making game plans that works for the team, and not just for the sake of promoting a certain system.

Good god D'Antoni is a terrible coach. I take back any good things I've said about him.

Incredibly dumb. The last thing LA needs is for their low post PF to chuck 3s. They jack up too many 3s as is.

Smokey

Guy is an idiot

Vahagn

D'Antoni is supremely dumb.

This season was wasted the day we didn't re-hire Phil.

If you wanted to feature Nash more than the Triangle would - hire Sloan.

Of course, as I said at the time - we should have hired Adelman 2 years ago and we'd be set for the next 5 years.

Edit: I can't even begin to fathom how unstoppable we'd be with Thibs as our head coach.

yeah i heard about this earlier and thought it was a joke. jesus dantoni is such trash..legit sorry lakers age has to deal with him now.

ESPN launches campaign to discredit Melo for MVP

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyPage=PerDiem-121219

Anyone have insider? Based on the usual criteria, it's KD and Melo right now. Melo doesn't have a Westbrook either so that's a plus for him. Why the hate?

i wish i could read this article. dunno why melo is always getting pooped on.

Cloudy

Banned
i wish i could read this article. dunno why melo is always getting pooped on.

The New York Knicks have the best record in the Eastern Conference and their star, Carmelo Anthony, is having the finest season of his career, facts which have led many to declare Anthony the early favorite for MVP.

Most of the arguments in support of Anthony are of the "best player on the best team" variety, but that is a standard that could just as easily be applied to Kevin Durant. And in a head-to-head comparison of the two, it is clear that Durant's season has been superior to Anthony's in almost every way.

While Anthony has been a very efficient scorer this season, his performance pales in comparison to Durant, who leads all high-volume scorers with a true shooting percentage of 64.8. To understand just how good that is, consider that only three high-volume scorers since 1977-78 -- Adrian Dantley in 1983-84, Charles Barkley in 1987-88 and Amar'e Stoudemire in 2007-08 -- have finished a season with a higher TS%.

Durant's big advantage in scoring efficiency could be somewhat mitigated by a similar advantage for Anthony in scoring average, but that is not the case: Anthony's average of 27.9 points per game is only slightly better than Durant's average of 27.1.

A player's offensive efficiency is made up of more than just scoring, of course, as passing, offensive rebounding and turnovers need to be taken into account. In these phases, Durant is the better passer (assisting on almost twice as many of his teammates' field goals when he is on the floor), while Anthony is the better offensive rebounder (grabbing more than twice as many available offensive rebounds) and is better at avoiding turnovers (10.1 turnovers per 100 plays compared to 13.9 for Durant).

Putting it all together, Durant produces an estimated 122 points per 100 possessions, the best rate in the league among high-volume scorers, while Anthony produces an estimated 114 points per 100 possessions, good for fifth among high-volume scorers.

A gap of eight points per 100 possessions is big, but it is a difference that could be made up by an elite defender. Alas, the words "elite defender" have never been used to describe Anthony.

Individual defense can be hard to quantify, as the traditional box score records only defensive rebounds, steals and blocks. While imperfect, these measures clearly give the edge to Durant:

• Durant grabs approximately 21.1 percent of available defensive rebounds while he is on the floor compared to 15.5 percent for Anthony.

• Durant averages about 2.0 steals per 100 opponent possessions when he is on the floor compared to 1.3 for Anthony.

• Durant blocks approximately 2.7 percent of opponent 2-point shots while he is on the floor compared to 1.3 percent for Anthony.

Looking at defense from a team standpoint gives the edge to Durant as well:

• Oklahoma City allows 103.8 points per 100 possessions while New York allows 105.7 points per 100 possessions.

• The Thunder defense allows about eight points per 100 possessions fewer when Durant is on the floor versus when he is off the floor.

• The Knicks defense allows about one point per 100 possessions more when Anthony is on the floor versus when he is off the floor.

Once again acknowledging the imperfection of the available data, there is nothing to suggest that Anthony has any kind of defensive advantage over Durant. In fact, the evidence points to Durant being the better defender.

Win shares is a statistic that attempts to summarize all of a player's accomplishments in a single number. Durant currently leads the NBA in both win shares (5.5) and win shares per 48 minutes (.280), while Anthony is 11th and 12th (3.0 and .204, respectively) in these categories.

None of this is meant to be an indictment of Anthony as a player -- it is an indictment of the primary argument being used to support him as MVP. Durant's clearly better season, coupled with the fact that Oklahoma City has the best record in the NBA, negates the "best player on the best team" argument. If you're looking for the MVP of the first eight weeks of the season, look no further than Durant.

Vahagn

If you're making an argument about the validity of a statistic on scoring, and then saying only Adrien Dantley, Charles Barkeley, and Amare have reached that mark...you should probably stop right there.

If it was such an important feat - those 3 wouldn't represent it. Of course, stat nerds don't care about that.

Ryan Anderson and Brandon Roy to the Lakers
Pau to the Wolves
Pek and Derrick Williams to the Hornets

Wolves get to dump Roys terribad contract and get a guy who should fit in perfectly with Love. Gasols numbers will be drastically better as a #1 post option, and his ability to play with Ricky is already documented. That team is going nowhere with Pek, so why even bother to sign him in the off-season.

As for the Hornets, Ryan Anderson and Anthony Davis are a terrible pair. Anthony Davis is a straight up PF. Getting Pek allows you to let him expire and pick up some better options in free agency. Derrick Williams is a nice guy to have for a rebuilding team.

Reasons for Ryan Anderson to the Lakers is obvious.

I think all teams would win personally.

Ryan Anderson is like 3x the player Pau is right now and when you consider the fact that they're both equally garbage come playoff time the Hornets lose big

Vahagn

Pau to the Wolves

Wolves get to dump Roys terribad contract and get a guy who should fit in perfectly with Love. Gasols numbers will be drastically better as a #1 post option, and his ability to play with Ricky is already documented. That team is going nowhere with Pek, so why even bother to sign him in the off-season.

As for the Hornets, Ryan Anderson and Anthony Davis are a terrible pair. Anthony Davis is a straight up PF. Getting Pek allows you to let him expire and pick up some better options in free agency. Derrick Williams is a nice guy to have for a rebuilding team.

That would make D'Antoni's system look better, but I'm not sure it would make us more of a championship team. I'm still of the mentality that you want your PF to be able to play like a traditional PF when you need it.

Making that trade basically means we give up our championship hopes in my eyes.

Pau to the Wolves

Good thing you're not a GM.

Ryan Anderson is like 3x the player Pau is right now and when you consider the fact that they're both equally garbage come playoff time the Hornets lose big

Team needs to tank for Wiggins/Jabari. With the way they are constructed if EG comes back and actually plays near a full season next year they'll be living in mediocre town, all while Davis is being developed in the wrong way.

That would make D'Antoni's system look better, but I'm not sure it would make us more of a championship team. I'm still of the mentality that you want your PF to be able to play like a traditional PF when you need it.

Making that trade basically means we give up our championship hopes in my eyes.

It's pretty clear that having two post up 7 foot players doesn't really work. Jacksons championship frontcourt was Lamar/Pau. Bynum wasn't a finisher for those teams and was out at crucial moments almost constantly.

"It's Pau who has to expand his game, and he'll expand out in the corner threes and he needs to take a couple, and we'll get him in the post when we can," D'Antoni said, emphasizing those last three words.

Or in other words "it's not what you know, it's who you know."

Vahagn

It's pretty clear that having two post up 7 foot players doesn't really work. Jacksons championship frontcourt was Lamar/Pau. Bynum wasn't a finisher for those teams and was out at crucial moments almost constantly.

That's a really good point but Pau and Bynum did spend a lot of time on the floor together. And Lamar's ball handling, play making, defensive versatility, and speed were what made him essential to those teams, not the 3 point shooting. Plus his rebounding was incredible. I'm just not sold on Ryno or any stretch 4 not Dirk/KG level good in the post season. If we wanna stretch 4 we can use Metta or Jamison. Just like the dimension that Pau gives us when he's used well.

Trade ideas:
Caron Butler to Toronto for Andrea Bargnani

Eric Bledsoe, Willie Green, Ryan Hollins and Trey Thompkins to Sacramento for Tyreke Evans

Bledsoe and Butler, picks and filler to San Antonio for Manu Ginobili

Who says no?

I'd might do the 2nd, but definitely the 3rd. Doubt SA would agree.

lol @ the first idea though.

Pau to the Wolves

Pek has been playing good defense this season. Which is really the only thing he was lacking last year.

No thanks. The Wolves aren't really in need of a big right now...

Who says no?

I'd might do the 2nd, but definitely the 3rd. Doubt SA would agree.

lol @ the first idea though.

I wouldn't want any of those trades, honestly. I don't mind giving up Butler, but I'd hate to lose Bledsoe. He means too much to the second unit. Ginobili would be a bit redundant with Jamal Crawford and eventually Chauncey Billups. I don't think they'd want to move Chauncey to the B team since they'd probably want both Billups and Paul on the floor at crunch time. Butler, Green, and Hollins are the only Clippers I'd stand to part with right now and I doubt they'd get anything worth risking anyway.

charsace

Pau to the Wolves

Timberwolves hang up the phone. No way would they move Pek in that type of garbage package.

Timberwolves hang up the phone. No way would they move Pek in that type of garbage package.

All I'm saying is that it's not like Love is bitching for no reason. He seems like he hates his team and the moves they've made. If you give Pek a long term contract then you're pretty much staring at your team for the next few years, + or - a player. And the Roy contract is clearly horrible.

I mean Pau is an allstar. He's not a PF. He's a center. Everytime he plays center his numbers look good. Bynum was the 1st option in the post last year and the Lakers sucked ass. Its not different now with him at PF.

I don't know, I like the Wolves better with Pau but that's just me.

Top Bottom