• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

Before the All star break (and in november), he was very good, absolutely not like he is right now. I find the injury excuse ludicrous though. If you're hurt, let others make more plays, give the ball to Kidd and JR more, don't chuck 30 shots a game... The stretch where Melo was hurt fucked his attitude up. He was the first option. Sad. JR should have been inserted in the starting lineup at that point to prevent it.
Oh we definitely agree, he's a knucklehead. Instead of shooting less and looking to dish, he's shooting way more. Some of it is dictated by the PnR, but he's not taking smart shots. Stats don't lie:

November: 41.8% FG, 40.3% 3P, on 14.2 field-goal attempts per game. Then
On December 2, Felton bruised his left hand against the Suns. Then, on December 13, he bruised his right hand against the Lakers.
December: 37.7% FG, 29.6% 3P, on 19.0 field-goal attempts per game

He's shooting more and shooting worse. In his last 12 games since the initial injury, Felton has shot 36 percent from the field and 27 percent from behind the arc. Yet he is still averaging 16.8 points per game because he is shooting an insane 19.2 shots per game. In that same stretch he is only averaging two free throws per game. The high FGA numbers are slightly skewed since he had to pick up some of the offensive slack while Carmelo Anthony was hurt, but there’s a bigger problem than that.

Teams have noticed Felton’s lack of shooting and are playing the pick-and-roll completely differently. Teams are simply going underneath the pick and backing off, forcing Felton to become a shooter. No help defenders are coming over, making Felton score in order for those plays to be effective. He has been woefully inefficient in trying to take advantage of those defensive strategies. It’s also the reason that during that 12-game stretch, Felton is averaging fewer than six assists per game.

The pick-and-roll is too big a part of the Knicks’ offense to take Felton out of those situations, and as long as he is tossing up bricks, teams will continue to defend it the same way. Felton will continue to brick jumpers or drive into a prepared defender, and the Knicks’ offense will look stagnant. For the most part he is taking decent shots, but they just aren’t going in. Even short jumpers from the free-throw line area are barely a 50/50 proposition. Felton has either been unable or unwilling to get to the rim consistently.

After his hot early-season shooting, Felton was bound to start bricking, but the current pace is not palatable. It’s been so bad that logic dictates it must have something to do with his hand injuries. He needs to sit down, get them healed and come back when he is healthy. Once he returns and proves himself an offensive threat once again, the Knicks pick-and-roll offensive attack will be back and the ball movement will improve.

Until then, Prigioni and Kidd can split the point-guard minutes, while Ronnie Brewer and James White take some of those shooting-guard minutes away from Kidd. This is one of those situations in which the Knicks need to take advantage of their depth. Felton’s toughness and willingness to play through the injuries is laudable, but at this point it seems more like stubbornness that is hurting the team.

The Knicks need Felton playing reasonably well if they want to win big this season. Taking a hit now for future payback is the way to go.

YOu'd be surprised how many defended that McGee contract here. Or not.

I believe this was also during a time in which Brook Lopez demanded a max contract skewing what people actually thought. At least that's what they should be saying if people did defend McGee's contract.

giri

I believe this was also during a time in which Brook Lopez demanded a max contract skewing what people actually thought. At least that's what they should be saying if people did defend McGee's contract.

Whilst lopez is a defensive liability, he's still a net positive.

McGee never will be.

Al Horford could really help the Nuggets a ton.

I doubt they have the pieces to acquire him though.

If they could steal the hawks front line, that'd be an interesting team.

Horford, Smith, ..., Iggy, Lawson.

Horfords contract is also amazing value iirc.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The thing is guys know to guard their man so he pretty much has to shoot. If he can shoot then they will have to respect that and leave their man and therefore get other guys open for shots. He needs to get the jumper going.

Felton running the PnR correctly will get the Knicks much, much farther than his chickenwing of a jumpshot ever will.

The thing is guys know to guard their man so he pretty much has to shoot. If he can shoot then they will have to respect that and leave their man and therefore get other guys open for shots. He needs to get the jumper going.

He needs to get the offense going. Not chucking shot after shot after shot. When he drives to the basket it both looks like a pass to Tyson and a shot attempt... I can't wait for Amare to get back; I really feel like he's going to play great. He's just the type of player we need; mid-range shooter that can roll to the basket. I still don't understand Woodson's use of Copeland :/ even though I think he sucks.

He needs to get the offense going. Not chucking shot after shot after shot. When he drives to the basket it both looks like a pass to Tyson and a shot attempt... I can't wait for Amare to get back; I really feel like he's going to play great. He's just the type of player we need; mid-range shooter that can roll to the basket. I still don't understand Woodson's use of Copeland :/ even though I think he sucks.

Cope is great for offense. i think cope and white should play more white resting felton. pablo and kidd playing pg and maybe even jr.

Get them hopes high for Amare. Nothing like having a 18 & 8 guy off the bench that gives up 20 & 10.

You seem worried. Same can be said a for Nash btw.

2dj2t6a.png

giri

Felton running the PnR correctly will get the Knicks much, much farther than his chickenwing of a jumpshot ever will.

If they start priggs, and they go on a win streak, i wonder if the team will implode again.

And we can then hear all about the large Argentinian population of NY.

the problem was always Amar'e and Melo out there together. You have to limit that. Woodson would be smart to only using that combo versus other teams' benches.

But their bench unit does need scoring, so Amar'e has a chance. We'll see.

the problem was always Amar'e and Melo out there together. You have to limit that. Woodson would be smart to only using that combo versus other teams' benches.

Under woodson amare and melo are 8-2. I still agree on off the bench though. Also amare played defense better under woodson. woodson seems to get the best out of their players it seems.

sorry for double post:

Based on overnight numbers from Nielsen, the Oklahoma City-Miami game received the highest rating with a 6.0 share nationally, which also was the fourth highest in history for a regular-season game on ABC. That, however, was down from the Chicago Bulls-Los Angeles Lakers game from last year and the Lakers-Heat game in 2010.
Additionally, the Heat-Thunder game broke records in Oklahoma City and Miami as the most watched regular-season game ever on ABC.

The New York Knicks-Lakers game followed with a 5.9, the best rating on Christmas Day for ABC in the early window of a doubleheader. In the same time slot, the Heat-Dallas Mavericks matchup received a 5.6 last year.

The opening game of the extravaganza, which paired Boston against Brooklyn, drew a 2.7 rating, Houston and the Bulls received a 1.7, up 21 percent from a game two years ago in the same time slot, and the Los Angeles Clippers' late game against Denver capped the day with a 2.0 rating, up 54 percent from Portland-Golden State two years ago.

Add to that the NBA's highest-rated tripleheader ever on ESPN, with a 2.1 average, was up 17 percent from a 1.8 in 2010 and it was an impressive day for viewership.

Really good ratings.

Amare needs to come off the bench. Any word on when Schumpert comes back?

shump is expected late jan/early feb.

as for amare, i think he and melo can work together. the problem is having tyson on with them as well. without tyson, amare can be the primary screener in the PnR but with tyson, amare is just..there.

giri

I think the problem was Amare Melo and Tyson on the court at the same time.

It just showed in Amare and Melo's stats more.

I think they can be on the court at the same time, but i wouldn't ever start them together again.

shump is expected late jan/early feb.

as for amare, i think he and melo can work together. the problem is having tyson on with them as well. without tyson, amare can be the primary screener in the PnR but with tyson, amare is just..there.

but on defense you have an Amar'e-Melo frontcourt. Ew.

The Jazz's play-by-play guy, David Locke, said Mo Williams could be out for eight weeks if he goes for surgery on his thumb and Mo apparently hated playing through the same injury a couple of years ago. Have to think the Jazz will make a trade for a PG if Mo decides to have surgery instead of rolling with a Tinsley-Foye starting guard lineup for 24 games, but who knows.

diehard

Fleer
The Jazz's play-by-play guy, David Locke, said Mo Williams could be out for eight weeks if he goes for surgery on his thumb and Mo apparently hated playing through the same injury a couple of years ago. Have to think the Jazz will make a trade for a PG if Mo decides to have surgery instead of rolling with a Tinsley-Foye starting guard lineup for 24 games, but who knows.

Does it really matter that much at this point?

Play Favors, Hayward, Kanter and Burks and actually do us some good.

14045704_duhon_travel_dance_2_bt.gif

You know you want it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Cats just happy to be in the same building as the Heat.

Kemba probably got Lebron's autograph before the game.

MKG is just a boy. He can't possibly deal with LBJ.

Edit: I take it back... MKG just did a great job on LBJ 1 on 1 on the perimeter. And we ain't even dead yet.

Top Bottom