• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Jeff I read your post and lemme break it down for you:
It's just any show that has more than one of the following is not for me:

- Extended inner dialog - Supposed to convey the charas' inner thoughts. Not a strictly anime thing.
- Sweat droplets on foreheads for no real reason - ... I just accept it. Supposed to show the character is human I guess?
- Arm waving of any kind - HEY I NEED TO WAVE MY ARMS TO CONVEY EMOTION!
- Character frozen with shock as the camera pans - Not a strictly anime thing
- Discussions of power levels - ... no comment.
- Sword usage after the invention and proliferation of gunpowder - swords are badass? eh
- Cat ears - well how can you tell the cat people from the humans? Cat people tend to tuck in their tails.
- Overly dramatic finger pointing - you might as well put overly dramatic potato chip eating then.
- Eyes closing during conversation - ... so you never closed your eyes during a convo? WTF?
- Accidental groping - Hey, I once sat next to a girl on a train and as I was getting up, accidentally groped her 5 times. THIS HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE YO.
- When heros/villains only fight with 1/10th of their power to start but keep restarting their fights, each time adding 1/10 to their actual power - You never fight with your real power, you gotta lulling the opponent into a false sense of security man.
- Unnecessary gasping - So breathing isn't allowed?
- Chit chat during intense fights - You gotta antagonize your opponent with mind games...

benjipwns

Banned
Nick Friedell, the ESPN beat writer for the Bulls, is, along with JVG, seeking out the coach who voted for Boozer as 1st Team All Defense. Why? Friedell comes off as such an ass in interviews. Why create an article where you're trying to embarrass one of your players. I understand you now have nothing to talk about, but still? WTF? The entire 1st team selection process is a joke, so what's the point?
They should find out who voted for Josh Selby.

Oh wait, that's the media...

At least that one guy admitted back in 2004 or whenever that he voted for Jermaine O'Neal for MVP because KG wouldn't give him an interview.

- Extended inner dialog
- Sweat droplets on foreheads for no real reason
- Arm waving of any kind
- Character frozen with shock as the camera pans
- Discussions of power levels
- Sword usage after the invention and proliferation of gunpowder
- Cat ears
- Overly dramatic finger pointing
- Eyes closing during conversation
- Accidental groping
- When heroes/villains only fight with 1/10th of their power to start but keep restarting their fights, each time adding 1/10 to their actual power
- Unnecessary gasping
- Chit chat during intense fights

So yeah, they all have at least two.

There are a few Miyazaki movies that have one or fewer of the above as I recall. They don't look much like anime either, so I consider them watchable. Pretty much any other anime is terrible, though, I agree.

Barrage

any children's entertainment can be enjoyed if it's converted into a drinking game. My friends talked shit about Beast Wars until they saw us getting fucked up everytime someone Maximized.

Speaking of drinking, Spurs basketball is so beautiful i'm staying in tonight to watch it.

I stopped reading comic books in the mid-'90s. I like the comic book movies, but they usually are limited to one from my list. But still, I've never seen Wolverine get a big, fat sweat droplet on his forehead when Jean walks away from him.

I don't even understand how something like that could bother you. Its animation. Exaggerated effects and emotions are some of the medium's best assets. The Simpsons are fucking yellow.

But then again

I guess that comes with being closeminded.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
They should find out who voted for Josh Selby.

Oh wait, that's the media...

At least that one guy admitted back in 2004 or whenever that he voted for Jermaine O'Neal for MVP because KG wouldn't give him an interview.
The whole thing is a joke, and should be treated as such.

giri

- Extended inner dialog
- Arm waving of any kind
- Cat ears
- Accidental groping
- When heroes/villains only fight with 1/10th of their power to start but keep restarting their fights, each time adding 1/10 to their actual power
- Unnecessary gasping

You should watch trigun. It has all of those.

But it's totally awesome :|

benjipwns

Banned
The whole thing is a joke, and should be treated as such.
Looked it up, even better than I remember:
It takes more than talent to earn one man's MVP vote

April 18, 2004

BY LACY J. BANKS SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

If Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal gets only one first-place vote for NBA most valuable player, it's my vote. Yes, I know I wrote last week that I was joining the consensus in voting for Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett. From a statistical standpoint, he qualifies amply for such consideration, and I was all ready to vote for him.

But a fellow NBA reporter recently e-mailed me about how rude Garnett continues to be to the media, never granting pregame interviews and making reporters, pressed by deadlines, wait long after games to talk with him. I then remembered the experiences I and other Chicago writers have had with him, and this is supposed to be one of his homes.

He makes only one trip a year to play in Chicago. But I remember that one time he visited, he was injured and was not going to suit up and play that night. Still, he refused to give me an interview. I reminded him that I was the first NBA writer to interview him before and after he was drafted straight out of high school in 1995, but he still gave me the cold shoulder.

I always have had a policy of voting for the human qualities of an MVP candidate, as well as his basketball talent. I look at each candidate's character, professionalism and willingness to promote the product of which he is a part and which has made him quite wealthy.

All of a sudden, Garnett was no longer my choice for MVP. I then turned to O'Neal, who always has been courteous to me and has granted me interviews before and after games. Besides, O'Neal is the primary reason the Pacers finished with the best record in the league during the regular season and have home-court advantage throughout the playoffs.

So when I entered the voting booth of my conscience and drew the curtains of reconsideration, I switched my vote with a clear mind and a warm feeling of moral accomplishment.

Garnett still is expected to win the MVP, so he doesn't need my vote anyway. But the Garnett I have come to know professionally is an arrogant ingrate who probably cares as little about those voting for him as he does about those who won't. He'll take the praise and awards, but that probably won't change how he views and treats the media.

I only wish the balloting was so close that it came down to one vote. My vote. Then I'd feel even better about the message I'm trying to send.

And that message is: It's so nice to be nice.

He gots Chucks head size down.

compare02.jpg

You should watch trigun. It has all of those.

But it's totally awesome :|

Unlike most anime's Trigun doesn't go to complete shit when it ends.

such an accurate representation of Tim Hardaway palming the ball on every dribble.

the transition of thug Jalen Rose into thug random Japanese basketball HS player.

so beautiful.

Yeah, probably.

We're on a video game subforum talking about sweaty men trying to put small orange balls through hoops as often and as efficiently as possible and you're trying to tell me that animated sweat droplets are above you.

Mkay

Grown men can love anime just as they do video games. There is some really good shit out there and as a friend, I wish you'd stop being so judgmental and broaden your horizons.

All I'm saying is you're acting hella ignant. And its okay to be ignant sometimes

Unfortunately, this isn't one of those times but I forgive you.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I am voting for the Spurs Matt Bonner for MVP because he shook my hand!

The game hasn't even started and already Scott Brooks has blown the game.

Thabo Sefolosha guarding TP will do NOTHING. No impact. Unless you're benching Perkins IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO IS GUARDING TONY PARKER. They'll run the same double-triple screen PnR and make a big have to come up on Parker/Ginobili. I can see it. Coach Nick can see it. Most of GAF sees it.

Why can't Scott Brooks?

giri

Thabo Sefolosha guarding TP will do NOTHING. No impact. Unless you're benching Perkins IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO IS GUARDING TONY PARKER. They'll run the same double-triple screen PnR and make a big have to come up on Parker/Ginobili. I can see it. Coach Nick can see it. Most of GAF sees it.

Why can't Scott Brooks?

It doesn't matter if its perkins, collison, or ibaka.

They have all been equally terrible PNR defenders this series.

Durant has been the better "big" defender in the PNR

Blackace

Why can't Scott Brooks?

I can see what you are saying, but this is an interesting move for a number of reasons..

It helps Westbrook on offense if he doesn't have to chase TP around...

also if Thabo fights through screens better than Westbrook he will have a chance to alter those easy pop and drop shots that TP had..

giri

I can see what you are saying, but this is an interesting move for a number of reasons..

also if Thabo fights through screens better than Westbrook he will have a chance to alter those easy pop and drop shots that TP had..

it means that Westbrook is your help defender though. Which means you're relying on him making the correct call on when / if he needs to leave the corner shooter open.

I'll summarise that.

Westbrook, Decisions.

Advantage, spurs.

Blackace

it means that Westbrook is your help defender though. Which means you're relying on him making the correct call on when / if he needs to leave the corner shooter open.

I'll summarise that.

Westbrook, Decisions.

Advantage, spurs.

Westbrook is more important to the Thunder on O... if he is dragging ass from chasing TP all game he will start taking jumpers.. which is bad.. they have no other real O outside of KD Westbrook and Harden. If Westbrook can't get to the cup they look bad

I'll summarise that.

Westbrook, Decisions.

Advantage, spurs.

My question is who the fuck is going to guard Manu now? Westbrook? lulz. And does that mean Harden gets put on our 3-man? Or is Westbrook sliding all the way to Kawhi/JAX?

Hrm

I don't think Thabo will fight through the screens any better than Westbrook.

The Blazers put Batum on Parker because we play a switching defense on PnRs. Unless the Thunder start switching on defense, it won't make much of a difference.

Blackace

My question is who the fuck is going to guard Manu now? Westbrook? lulz. And does that mean Harden gets put on our 3-man? Or is Westbrook sliding all the way to Kawhi/JAX?

Hrm

Not that I think he can really stop him, but I think Westbrook will be "fine" on Manu.. Westbrook does fairly well on dribble drives, it is the 23 screens he can't handle... of course Pop will probably run the triple screen around the world for Manu in the 2q.

giri

Westbrook is more important to the Thunder on O... if he is dragging ass from chasing TP all game he will start taking jumpers.. which is bad.. they have no other real O outside of KD Westbrook and Harden. If Westbrook can't get to the cup they look bad

I don't necessarily disagree with the move. Brooks has to try something.

Hrm

YNB will slide down to the 3 when they play small, i'd assume. And be on Green when they're big.

Blackace

I don't think Thabo will fight through the screens any better than Westbrook.

The Blazers put Batum on Parker because we play a switching defense on PnRs. Unless the Thunder start switching on defense, it won't make much of a difference.

Westbrook fought through the screens wrong each time leaving him way out of position..

It doesn't matter if its perkins, collison, or ibaka.

They have all been equally terrible PNR defenders this series.

Durant has been the better "big" defender in the PNR
I think Ibaka will do a much better job contesting since he usually does the weakside roaming anyway.

My whole issue is you have to go small. Make Durant the 4 at stretches if you have to. Give the Spurs multiple looks.

But now your best 1-on-1 defender/decisionmaker on D is running chasing people through screens. So you've hurt your defense by making a switch on defense that really shouldn't work. It's like marathonfool said, unless they are going to switch all the time it won't work.

qcf x2

- Extended inner dialog
- Arm waving of any kind
- Cat ears
- Accidental groping
- Unnecessary gasping

That's like, any action or fight based show ever, from any country. But still, there's good stuff outside of those genres. Michiko & Hatchin, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The Wings of Honneamise (dated) come to mind as quality, non-pretentious and non-shounen/moe/harem anime.

I kinda see it the same way I see contemporary music. IMO most of it is trash, but that doesn't mean I don't try to stay open minded. And indeed there's some that is pretty worthwhile!

Blackace

But now your best 1-on-1 defender/decisionmaker on D is running chasing people through screens. So you've hurt your defense by making a switch on defense that really shouldn't work.

Exactly.. he is your best defender, and TP has been the problem.. having him help Westbrook hasn't worked.. changing out your bigs won't help also because their isn't a big who could really help with TP off a triple screen.

having Thabo spend 100% focus on TP is really the only move he can make..

giri

Not that I think he can really stop him, but I think Westbrook will be "fine" on Manu.. Westbrook does fairly well on dribble drives, it is the 23 screens he can't handle... of course Pop will probably run the triple screen around the world for Manu in the 2q.

Yep, every wing/guard on the Spurs has and can run, the double horn screens.

But now your best 1-on-1 defender/decisionmaker on D is running chasing people through screens. So you've hurt your defense by making a switch on defense that really shouldn't work. It's like marathonfool said, unless they are going to switch all the time it won't work.

I dunno dude they obviously needed to change it up. Westbrook was getting killed out there. I think its a shame Thabo's 1-on-1 defense is going to be wasted because he'll be negated by the screens, but they can't have Westbrook exhausting himself like that. And its not like Thabo was having an effect on Manu anyhow.

giri

I think Ibaka will do a much better job contesting since he usually does the weakside roaming anyway.

My whole issue is you have to go small. Make Durant the 4 at stretches if you have to. Give the Spurs multiple looks.

They've tried all the options with their bigs already.

None were effective.

So....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom