• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Pimpwerx

First shots fired by soon-to-be-former GOAT Michael Jordan.

Interviewed for a special that will run Monday at 8 p.m. on NBA TV, Jordan said he currently views Bryant as having the more successful career to this point than James.

"If you had to pick between the two, that would be a tough choice," Jordan, now owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, told program host Ahmad Rashard, "but five beats one every time I look at it."

Bryant has won five championships with the Los Angeles Lakers, with James winning his first NBA title last June. Jordan, of course, won six championships with the Chicago Bulls.

"And not that he won't get five," Jordan said of James. "He may get more than that, but five is bigger than one."

Bron's response:
Told of Jordan's view regarding Bryant, James left the conjecture to others.

"That doesn't matter to me," he said. "If you take Kobe one and then I go second . . . it doesn't matter. I don't really get too involved about what guys say about me, or if you take Kobe or if you take LeBron.

"As long as I'm on the floor and I try to make plays for my teammates, I don't do what I do for other people's approval."

Wade chiming in:
Of Jordan-LeBron, Wade said, "If I'm a GM, I close my eyes and I pick out of a hat if they're both at the same age. I close my eyes and pick out of a hat."

Like many, though, Wade said the comparisons are unfair.

"It's simple," Wade said, "there'll never be another Michael Jordan. He was the first kind of to do a lot of things. Whenever you're the first, there can never be another."

Wade then pointed to James, who was seated nearby.

"But that guy down there, he's in the beginning of starting his own path and there will be someone who will be compared to the next LeBron James," Wade said. "But there never apparently be another one of him. Certain guys are that special and that unique in that 'next.'

"So that's not really comparable in the sense of, 'Is he the next one?' It's comparable in the sense of these are great players and they've done great things for the game and they're going to continue to do that, even when they're not playing no more. M.J.'s legacy at 50 years old is still going strong and LeBron James' legacy will be the same."

Michael's not going out like Magic. He's not gonna sit back and admit defeat to anyone. PEACE.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Bron's response:

Wade chiming in:

Michael's not going out like Magic. He's not gonna sit back and admit defeat to anyone. PEACE.
You don't actually think LeBron is better, do you? I know people point at the numbers constantly, but I feel like those people never actually look at Jordan's numbers.

I mean, in 92-93, Jordan averaged 33 ppg on 50% shooting, with 6 assists and 7 rebounds a game, along with 3 steals. He was fantastic on defense too. The guy is ultimate complete player.

Not to mention that the competition back then was MUCH better than it is now, but that's not LeBron's fault.

linsivvi

You don't actually think LeBron is better, do you? I know people point at the numbers constantly, but I feel like those people never actually look at Jordan's numbers.

I mean, in 92-93, Jordan averaged 33 ppg on 50% shooting, with 6 assists and 7 rebounds a game, along with 3 steals. He was fantastic on defense too. The guy is ultimate complete player.

Not to mention that the competition back then was MUCH better than it is now, but that's not LeBron's fault.

Jordan didn't need to run and form a super team in order to win. That's all that needs to be said.

charsace

Bron's response:

Wade chiming in:

What defeat has Jordan taken?
It's pretty obvious that Kobe's had the better career so far, he has 5 rings. Pretty simple.

True, the super team came to him.
You don't know what you're talking about. Jordan helped to develop Grant and Pippen. Both guys were hated before Phil came a long and got Jordan to believe in them and the rest of the team. People in and out of Chicago wanted Pippen and Grant to be traded. There were people that even wanted Jordan and Ewing or Jordan and Barkley or some other players that I can't remember to end up on the same team. So you are either revising history or you weren't old enough to understand these things.

More impressive to me is 35 ppg at .535 FG% with hand checking and Bad Boy pistons around.

Jordan is better than LeBron and LeBron won't catch or match him, but I think pointing out handchecking or the Pistons tends to glorify that era too much. It's true that physical play occurred more back then, but this is the Thibs/Popovich/Duncan/KG/Few Fouls era of defense. It's not a weak defense era that LeBron is and has been going against.

lol if lebron played in a more physical era do yall think thats gonna make him worse?

send him back to the 90s and see how others want to be on other side of him being more physical

MJ averaged 37 points one season, lol at Lebron or anyone else for that matter matching that anytime soon.

If YNB were to somehow disappear, I can see KD coming the closest. He can score easily and his ability to get free throws is almost as good as Harden's. If KD got 27 shots a game, I think he could do it. Hell, Lebron could do it too If he took 27 shots a game, but he doesn't play like that. Not trying to make MJ's accomplishment look easy or anything.

charsace

Jordan is better than LeBron and LeBron won't catch or match him, but I think pointing out handchecking or the Pistons tends to glorify that era too much. It's true that physical play occurred more back then, but this is the Thibs/Popovich/Duncan/KG/Few Fouls era of defense. It's not a weak defense era that LeBron is and has been going against.

Handchecking helped Detroit win their last title. They grinded games out that year to low 90 scores and even lower than that regularly. They rode Kobe around the court in the finals.

MJ averaged 37 points one season, lol at Lebron or anyone else for that matter matching that anytime soon.
he could get that if he wanted to...nobody will average that much again unless they are a supreme talent on a roster full of scrubs who play hot potato with the ball

Emwitus

lol if lebron played in a more physical era do yall think thats gonna make him worse?

send him back to the 90s and see how others want to be on other side of him being more physical

Jordan is far better than Lebron and it's not even a question. Lebron was held to 4ppg in the fourth by a dallas mavs team that had no buisness being anywhere but a retirement home.

He would only benefit from being able to D others up more physically. He could still bull his way to the rim but he'd get less calls and guys would be able to more effectively alter his at rim shots.

This is the same guy who complained how physical it was playing the 4 in todays NBA. I think saying that his fg% dipping is pretty safe.

charsace

ROFL if you think guys like the X man, Oakley, Mason, Charles Smith, McKie, Davis twins, Rodman, Kemp, Laimbeer, Barkley, etc. wouldn't give a young Lebron a lesson. After a few flashy drives in the 90's NBA guys were out to draw blood. They didn't just back down like guys do now. They made sure you caught a forearm or elbow across the nose.

More impressive to me is 35 ppg at .535 FG% with hand checking and Bad Boy pistons around.

And with guys like Hakeem, Ewing, Mourning, Robinson, and Mutombo waiting for him at the rim. He averaged 37 before he developed a 3 pointer playing against the best era of centers in league history.

If YNB were to somehow disappear, I can see KD coming the closest. He can score easily and his ability to get free throws is almost as good as Harden's. If KD got 27 shots a game, I think he could do it.

I can see KD getting close, I don't think he'd quite get there though.

And with guys like Hakeem, Ewing, Mourning, Robinson, and Mutombo waiting for him at the rim. He averaged 37 before he developed a 3 pointer playing against the best era of centers in league history.

I can see KD getting close, I don't think he'd quite get there though.

KD is already averaging 29 points from 18 shots and getting to line 9 times a game....

Bosh isn't a functional PF? Bosh is a better offensive PF than the Bulls ever had, and those Bulls teams never had a decent C.
Where do I say Bosh isn't a functional PF?, he's great. I just don't see how Jordan averaging 30, Pippen averaging 21 and Grant with 14 is less of a super team than Bron with 27, wade with 21 and bosh at 17.

Pretty much all chip teams are stacked.

Jordan has some ridiculous playoff stats too while you guys are at it. I don't think anyone in the future is going to even come close to his playoff stats.

That ship has already sailed for LeBron, and Kobe.

Spending tonight with an ex. She's gonna cook dinner, we'll watch the Heat game and then probably watch Prometheus afterwards. There'll be some ex bs, but at least I get a free meal and sex, and still get to catch the game. Dat trifecta. I don't date very sophisticated women. LOL! PEACE.

Man, she must have been really young when you started dating her if she's your ex and one of your students.

PEACE.

charsace

Right, but technique and awareness can make up for lack of physicality.

To a point yes. A player with great hand checking though can really fuck up the flow of an offensive player. Kevin Johnson would have done way more damage to teams if guys weren't allowed to hand check him and basically limit how he could change direction or utilize his crossover on the move. You should realize this after years of watching John Stockton.

The lack of hand checking is why a lot of guards lack a move or two in between the rim and the free throw line. Its pretty pathetic that pg's get praised for having any type of floater when even outside shooters like Hubert Davis had to be able to hit a floater to be effective driving to the basket.

Emwitus

In all honesty, i'm surprised at the nba's luck of adoption of the triangle system looking at how successful it has been. I mean how many dynasties have won back to back championships? Though i understand parts of it are ingrained in every system and having a hall fame talent like jordan/shaq/kobe is part of it's success.

I'm still amazed by Intellect saying Jordan's Bulls were a "super team".
The other thing was people don't realize how some of Bulls players came to be. Scottie Pippen was a draft day trade in 1987 from the SuperSonics for Olden Polynice and picks. Cartwright was acquired from the Knicks when they traded Oakley. Horace Grant was drafted in the same draft and had been backing up Oakley until then. Kukoc was drafted in 1990 (check that draft out for some lols) but didn't report for years.

There was no Super-friends back then, it was literally the perfect blend of smart drafting, eye for talent, and developing said talent under a great player and great coach. Only talents Jordan took somewhere were from the other team after he stole your will to live.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
KD is already averaging 29 points from 18 shots and getting to line 9 times a game....

Where do I say Bosh isn't a functional PF?, he's great. I just don't see how Jordan averaging 30, Pippen averaging 21 and Grant with 14 is less of a super team than Bron with 27, wade with 21 and bosh at 17.

During that first 3 peat, Pippen averaged 21 points once. Pippen is a career 16 ppg (Wade is currently at 25). Pippen is a great defensive player, but he was never the offensive powerhouse that Wade is. Never. Bosh is currently averaging about 18 ppg (career is 20) and 7 rebounds a game (career is 9). Grant spent most of his career away from Chicago, and he still isn't near those numbers. Jordan also had no real center or point guard, and he didn't have a backup like Ray Allen.

charsace

The other thing was people don't realize how some of Bulls players came to be. Scottie Pippen was a draft day trade in 1987 from the SuperSonics for Olden Polynice and picks. Cartwright was acquired from the Knicks when they traded Oakley. Horace Grant was drafted in the same draft and had been backing up Oakley until then. Kukoc was drafted in 1990 (check that draft out for some lols) but didn't report for years.

There was no Super-friends back then, it was literally the perfect blend of smart drafting, eye for talent, and developing said talent under a great player and great coach.

When the Knicks got Oakley people said it was a steal. Cartwright was supposed to be on his last legs. Jordan was furious that his bromance half/enforcer/assassin was traded for an old dude. He even questioned if the bulls wanted to win a title and started talking about leaving the bulls. Jordan was catching a ton of shit for being a me first player who only cared about stats. Sounds familar doesn't it? It should because Iverson, Kobe, Lebron all went through the same thing.
Spurs are 4th in offense despite having the second lowest offensive rebounding rate in NBA history. That's pretty impressive.
Parker MVP.

Lebron was in that exact situation in Cleveland
In Jordan's third year he averaged, 37-5-5 while taking 28 shots per game. In LeBron's thid year he averaged 31-7-7 while taking 20 shots a game. Again, I'm not saying LBJ>MJ but those stats aren't worlds apart.

During that first 3 peat, Pippen averaged 21 points once. Pippen is a career 16 ppg (Wade is currently at 25). Pippen is a great defensive player, but he was never the offensive powerhouse that Wade is. Never. Bosh is currently averaging about 18 ppg (career is 20) and 7 rebounds a game (career is 9). Grant spent most of his career away from Chicago, and he still isn't near those numbers. Jordan also had no real center or point guard, and he didn't have a backup like Ray Allen.
Lebron currently doesn't have a real center or a point guard and "a back up like Ray allen"?
Have you seen Ray Ray play recently? it isn't good.

I took those numbers from the repeat year of their first 3peat to make the situations more similar. they're almost identical. I know that career wise Wade and Bosh are better offensive players than Pippen and Grant but on the Heat, they're not putting up those numbers so I don't see why they matter. They're both super teams with two superstars.

Pimpwerx

Can't type much on my phone, but wanted to join the convo. If defenses were so stiff back then, why was DRTG and eFG the same in some of the 80s and 90s? I wish i could copy the post I made in the OT thread. It dsmisses much of these claims. It's really hard to play good D with high pace. It also ignores the fact that there were a ton of shitty teams and defenses back then, especially following expansion. Also, what makes anyone think someone like Laimbeer would have anything for Bron when Bron outweighs him by 15-20lbs and runs as fast as anyone from that time? Flagrant foule? Anyone can do that today too. Those beanpoles would get baptized the same as centers today. Malone thrived in that era, and Bron is like a fast Malone who doesn't need Stock to feed him the ball and can pass as good as him. I don't buy it. PEACE.

When the Knicks got Oakley people said it was a steal. Cartwright was supposed to be on his last legs. Jordan was furious that his bromance half/enforcer/assassin was traded for an old dude. He even questioned if the bulls wanted to win a title and started talking about leaving the bulls. Jordan was catching a ton of shit for being a me first player who only cared about stats. Sounds familar doesn't it? It should because Iverson, Kobe, Lebron all went through the same thing.
Yep, notice Jordan wasn't talking that shit when Grant turned into one of the more effective PFs of the early 90s. Again, great drafting.

1987 NBA Draft

1990 NBA Draft

Seriously, look at these drafts. Bulls made out like bandits, steal after steal.

Can't type much on my phone, but wanted to join the convo. If defenses were so stiff back then, why was DRTG and eFG the same in some of the 80s and 90s? I wish i could copy the post I made in the OT thread. It dsmisses much of these claims. It's really hard to play good D with high pace. It also ignores the fact that there were a ton of shitty teams and defenses back then, especially following expansion. Also, what makes anyone think someone like Laimbeer would have anything for Bron when Bron outweighs him by 15-20lbs and runs as fast as anyone from that time? Flagrant foule? Anyone can do that today too. Those beanpoles would get baptized the same as centers today. Malone thrived in that era, and Bron is like a fast Malone who doesn't need Stock to feed him the ball and can pass as good as him. I don't buy it. PEACE.

Is this where we read that Hakeem Olajuwon wasn't that great and wouldn't be the top center in today's game?

BTW today I learned on ESPN radio that when MJ came into the league it was a dead league and it needed MJ to save it. Apparently the Magic/Bird Lakers/Celtics rivalry wasn't that big of a deal. Apparently Dr.J wasn't helping either.

As Dunlap led the Bobcats in a morning shootaround on Monday before a victory over the Celtics, Gordon refused Dunlap's request to stop bouncing a ball as the coach spoke, sources said. Before long, Gordon began baiting Dunlap, telling him that he needed to "humble himself," sources said. Gordan refused to give the ball to Dunlap, and eventually tossed it toward a ball rack, sources said. Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins was in the practice session and ultimately intervened, sources said. "Beyond disrespectful," was how one league source described the scene.

Dy is getting to Gordon.

Emwitus

Dude please. Bosh and wade were freaking franchise players.

Top Bottom