• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

thekad

Banned
How is that a straw man? If you tell me that Player A is a better rebounder than Player B, I can derive a conclusion that says "If both are healthy, Player A should get more rebounds than player B for the remainder of the season"

If your premise was true, and the data was accurate, then the conclusion should also be true.

If you tell me that Player A is a more clutch player than player B, I can derive a conclusion that says "If both are healthy, Player A should be more clutch in the remainder of the season than player B". If your premise is wrong, because your data has a really small sample size for example, or because the conclusion you reached from your own data is flawed, then my own conclusion would be flawed too.

Damn you're dumb...

RedAssedApe

Banned
"My mom was a little upset," Hibbert told the Star. "She said I should have walked away. It's unfortunate it happened. I watched the video and I saw there was a little kid that ran up out of his seat when all that happened.

"I apologize to the fans that were sitting courtside. We're a team that loves the fans and we don't want to scare them away."

good times

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
That wasn't an "always" as in time. It was an always as in comparison. If you're viewing it as a time thing, then you can take the word out and it still makes the same point about the hidden assumption/incorrect premise.

It's like saying

Premise 1: Brenda collects Welfare

Conclusion: Brenda is lazy

The only way for that to be true, is for the hidden premise of "All people who collect welfare are lazy" to be true. Otherwise the conclusion is flawed. So the data is correct "Brenda collects welfare" but the conclusion isn't because of the faulty second premise.

What the fucking fuckery fuck?!

How is that a straw man? If you tell me that Player A is a better rebounder than Player B, I can derive a conclusion that says "If both are healthy, Player A should get more rebounds than player B for the remainder of the season"

If your premise was true, and the data was accurate, then the conclusion should also be true.

If you tell me that Player A is a more clutch player than player B, I can derive a conclusion that says "If both are healthy, Player A should be more clutch in the remainder of the season than player B". If your premise is wrong, because your data has a really small sample size for example, or because the conclusion you reached from your own data is flawed, then my own conclusion would be flawed too.

That wasn't an "always" as in time. It was an always as in comparison. If you're viewing it as a time thing, then you can take the word out and it still makes the same point about the hidden assumption/incorrect premise.

It's like saying

The only way for that to be true, is for the hidden premise of "All people who collect welfare are lazy" to be true. Otherwise the conclusion is flawed. So the data is correct "Brenda collects welfare" but the conclusion isn't because of the faulty second premise.

tumblr_m017nabcz11rqrnlao4_250.gif

reilo

I would love to see an Opiate-Vahaghn-reilo-ClovingWestbrook discussion on sports clutchness.

I didn't even have that argument. I was just pointing out why Vaggy's idea that coming to a conclusion based on a given set of data is somehow wrong was a ridiculous proposition to make.

Vahagn

Explain to me why I'm wrong here.

FG% in the final 5 minutes is one statistic. Why you've decided it is the full proof piece of data to define "being clutch" and how that conclusion is full proof?

It doesn't make sense to me at all.

I didn't even have that argument. I was just pointing out why Vaggy's idea that coming to a conclusion based on a given set of data is somehow wrong was a ridiculous proposition to make.

If I showed you another set of data. Let's say FG% in the final 3 minutes of a game, and the order of the players was different. I have as much right to say "Player A is more clutch than player B" even if the data is completely reversed when you use 5 minutes, or 7 minutes, or 12 minutes?

You're pretending that the set of data you're using, is the definition of clutch when it isn't at all. Why am I wrong here?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

It's like saying

Fuck

You ask how was that a straw man and make an even bigger one in the same post

reilo

Hey guys, I invented a new game. Any time Vaggy posts, let's play "Where's the strawman?" I'll start:

FG% in the final 5 minutes is one statistic. Why you've decided it is the full proof piece of data to define "being clutch" and how that conclusion is full proof?

you're wrong here because Kobe isn't even a Top 20 player anymore

Blackace

One player is putting the ball in the bucket at a higher percentage than another when his team needs it most

Anybody want to know why I don't have MJ as the GOAT and instead have a top 5 tier? I'd be happy to explain it to you all again? I mean anything HAS to be better than this, right?

giri

Anybody want to know why I don't have MJ as the GOAT and instead have a top 5 tier? I'd be happy to explain it to you all again? I mean anything HAS to be better than this, right?

oh god no. Because that will just start kobe vs mj and hakeem vs kareem.

Welp.

i'm done here for today.

Vahagn

You guys are claiming I'm putting up a straw man in one breath, and then making the same argument in the next.

Is FG% in the final 5 minutes of a close game the "definition of clutch" or not?

If it's not, why are you pretending that conclusions using only that data to define who is and who isn't more clutch is somehow a full proof argument?

Blackace

That would be the 2nd Laker fan wrong in so many post

reilo

You guys are claiming I'm putting up a straw man in one breath, and then making the same argument in the next.

Is FG% in the final 5 minutes of a close game the "definition of clutch" or not?

If it's not, why are you pretending that conclusions using only that data to define who is and who isn't more clutch is somehow a fool proof argument?

Hahah, I just can't. You're so... hrmm, BA is around. Moving on.

Awwwwwww... oh well maybe Vahagn will quit also.

anyway Carmelo Anthony is probable with a stomach virus. Knick tweets:
Marc Berman @NYPost_Berman about 6 hours ago
#Knicks getting reinforcements. Woodson says definite chance of Kenyon Martin making debut tonight, Camby Friday.
Al Iannazzone @Al_Iannazzone about 6 hours ago
Woodson said he may change the starting lineup based on Prigioni's status. If Pablo can't play (back spasms) kidd will come off the bench.
THANK YOU MOTHER OF GOD.

Vahagn

Hahah, I just can't. You're so... hrmm, BA is around. Moving on.

This happens every time we debate something. You run away from your arguments all the time.

Man up. You said earlier that Al Jefferson has been more clutch than Lebron James because of that one statistic. You brought absolutely no other data to the table than that. None.

So, I'm going to ask you again. If Player A shoots a higher FG% in the final 5 minutes of a close game than player B, can he always be considered more clutch than Player B.

reilo

This happens every time we debate something. You run away from your arguments all the time.

Man up. You said earlier that Al Jefferson has been more clutch than Lebron James because of that one statistic. You brought absolutely no other data to the table than that. None.
I never fucking said that goddamn.

I ran away from the argument? lol.

You have damn near virtually EVERY active user in this thread right now proclaim that you are wrong and easily pointing out that you are using strawmen to make your argument -- INCLUDING BLACKACE.

Yet I'm "running" away after clearly and thoroughly stating several times over what I actually called you out on.

But please, child, keep believing that I said Al Jefferson will always be more clutch than Lebron.

So, I'm going to ask you again. If Player A shoots a higher FG% in the final 5 minutes of a close game than player B, can he always be considered more clutch than Player B.

I see you have upgraded to a brand new fallacy.

yo

that isn't what he's arguing

Blackace

If it's not, why are you pretending that conclusions using only that data to define who is and who isn't more clutch is somehow a full proof argument?

6/24 is the definition of clutch

Reilo at no point argued Jefferson is more clutch than Lebron. Hell, he didn't make a single argument based around Jefferson at all.

Just stop, dude.

Vahagn

The only silly one here is you. Statistically, if over the same number of games -- 50, 100, 200, 5000 -- Al Jefferson produces better clutch time numbers than Lebron James, then claiming that Al Jefferson has been more clutch than Lebron is a fair assessment over the course of those games.

Kyrie Irving is a young player. He hasn't played the same number of games, so the data is only conclusive to the data available.

In other words, context matters. The context of claiming that Irving is more clutch than Lebron is over a sample of this past year. That is not the same as stating that Kyrie Irving will finish as a more clutch player for the remainder of their careers.

Jesus, why is this so difficult?

I never fucking said that goddamn.

Twice in that paragraph you basically say it's fair to argue that someone is more clutch than another person, or has been more clutch than another person, based on that one statistic. Then you tell me you never made that claim?

Top Bottom