• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

Of course not all taunts are the same. A quick look at someone after a dunk isn't the same as say, the Shawn Kemp point. Also not all celebrations are taunts, the Sam Cassell "big balls" dance isn't a taunt.
Yeah. Thats it entirely. People just HATE novak.

fk da knicks, amirite?
... who are you right now? What are you even blathering about? Who's on first? What's on second?

The ESPN 30 for 30 on Reggie Miller is a great example of how taunting makes everything better. So much hate flowing from both fanbases, that's how you sell tickets.

I can't even believe this is a topic.

This is BASKETBALL. Trash talking and all those things are part of the game. If you don't like it, watch ice skating.

The Shawn Kemp point is awesome.

The Reggie Miller choke is awesome.

The Shaq rim hang is awesome.

3 goggles, championship belt, all of that - awesome.

Well there's basketball and whatever the NBA plays. Starting to get very NFL-ish.
The Shawn Kemp point is awesome - a Tech in today's game.

The Reggie Miller choke is awesome - Tech.

The Shaq rim hang is awesome - Auto-Tech, but not really a taunt.

3 goggles, championship belt, all of that - none of those are even taunts doe.

Well there's basketball and whatever the NBA plays. Starting to get very NFL-ish.

And I hate that the NBA is getting NFL-ish.
I'm still mad you can't handcheck; these young players can casually shoot, draw fouls with cheap moves and don't have to worry about being impeded by physical defense...but that's a different issue entirely.

Anyway, allow all taunting/gestures. I want to see someone get dunked on and then you get a King Kong chest pound and an in-your-face scream. I want a dagger 3 and a slow stare/point at the guy that just got shot down.

ohNOitsRO

Too good lolol

4YOj1Or.gif

iI1NvVnR7mSyG.gif

Taunting is awesome.

What's lame about Novak taunting even if his standard is as Frankman said 'making 4 or more 3s' that shit is super pedestrian.

He's basically celebrating that, for the moment, he has value in the NBA. He's playing himself.

A quick search on Basketball refrence shows that 4 or more made 3s has happened 700+ times this season alone. And don't think for a second that Novak appears the most on that list.

I'm still mad you can't handcheck; these young players can casually shoot, draw fouls with cheap moves and don't have to worry about being impeded by physical defense...but that's a different issue entirely.

Anyway, allow all taunting/gestures. I want to see someone get dunked on and then you get a King Kong chest pound and an in-your-face scream. I want a dagger 3 and a slow stare/point at the guy that just got shot down.

Nobody is going to pay to watch low scoring games.

Taunting is awesome.

What's lame about Novak taunting even if his standard is as Frankman said 'making 4 or more 3s' that shit is super pedestrian.

He's basically celebrating that, for the moment, he has value in the NBA. He's playing himself.

A quick search on Basketball refrence shows that 4 or more made 3s has happened 700+ times this season alone. And don't think for a second that Novak appears the most on that list.
Well the belt is something he got from Aaron Rodgers, who does it after he throws a TD. Something every QB in the NFL can do ad nauseum, so basically is it the same for Aaron?

Also something something white people something.

Well the belt is something he got from Aaron Rodgers, who does it after he throws a TD. Something every QB in the NFL can do ad nauseum, so basically is it the same for Aaron?

Also something something white people something.

False equivalence like a mother. I already explained that Novak taunting when being servicable only highlights how shit he is at basketball, like if a bad QB did the belt thing when he got a TD.

effzee

I think the taunting and gestures were all post Jordan rule changes by the NBA. They were too worried the league was becoming "thug" and the white consumers were turning away from the game.

False equivalence like a mother. I already explained that Novak taunting when being servicable only highlights how shit he is at basketball, like if a bad QB did the belt thing when he got a TD.

Are you speaking ill of the late great Koy Detmer? Meet me somewhere!

Why do people keep comparing the players and not the act? Makes no sense.

If the act is bad is deemed as bad no one can do it. That being said, some celebrations aren't taunts. Alot of what people listed the last 2 pages aren't taunts.

the taunting of the 90s was way more emphatic than it is today. tired of complaints about todays players showing no passion, then the rants and complaining as soon as any player shows they have a fucking pulse. same with bitching about the lack of physicality in todays game compared to the 80s and 90s, then the rants about thug culture when there's a fight.

Why do people keep comparing the players and not the act? Makes no sense.

If the act is bad is deemed as bad no one can do it. That being said, some celebrations aren't taunts. Alot of what people listed the last 2 pages aren't taunts.

Because there's a difference between a great player being braggadocious and a scrub being braggadocious. In this instance who the individual is does matter.

The act is basically a player bragging about their skills, Novak is cold garbage in a hot cup.

Because there's a difference between a great player being braggadocious and a scrub being braggadocious. In this instance who the individual is does matter.

The act is basically a player bragging about their skills, Novak is cold garbage in a hot cup.

The funny thing is that Novak is better shooter than every scrub on your team. lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The funny thing is that Novak is better shooter than every scrub on your team. lol

That's a new one: "My scrub is better than your scrub!"

Show us that championship belt, son!

But the really funny thing? Blake: 42.9%, Novak: 41.9%

Vahagn

So I was browsing the 2009 NBA Finals thread, you know, for good memories. And, Dy was inducted as an honorary member of Lakers-Age? Lulz.

Also, at least 75% of gaf posters I saw make a prediction before the series started picked Orlando. Kobe hatred runs deep in their veins.

effzee

So I was browsing the 2009 NBA Finals thread, you know, for good memories. And, Dy was inducted as an honorary member of Lakers-Age? Lulz.

Also, at least 75% of gaf posters I saw make a prediction before the series started picked Orlando. Kobe hatred runs deep in their veins.

All in the name of justice for the girl Kobe raped...

J2 Cool

the taunting of the 90s was way more emphatic than it is today. tired of complaints about todays players showing no passion, then the rants and complaining as soon as any player shows they have a fucking pulse. same with bitching about the lack of physicality in todays game compared to the 80s and 90s, then the rants about thug culture when there's a fight.

I'm not bitching about Lebron because I want it out of the game, it just reeks of self-wankery. The whole thing with taunting that loudly, is you're opening yourself up to be hated or loved. People have to accept people disliking Bron's ego and posing in that situation against his old team. I wish there was somebody else on the court capable of taking the game back at him last night, even Kyrie Irving. As it was, Bron Bron was just full of his own "greatness" against Cavs bench at the 10-minute mark. I respect his ability but don't like it. I'm a much bigger fan of the competitive, feisty taunters. Kobe, AI (step over was greatness), Reggie. Using it to push them or their team to greater levels, fighting for the mental edge.

Marcus Smart probably isn't going first overall after this game.

I think Steven Adams could be a lottery pick if he declares even if he's like four or five years away...

Would you rather have end zone celebrations the way they are or did you like them better back then?

blah blah blah

You have way too many qualifiers for what's an appropriate taunt.

Also, since when do you get to decide when taunting gives a team a mental edge? WTF that shit is always all about me-me-me

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37PHJxY16fM

Come on people, that shit is awesome

effzee

I'm not bitching about Lebron because I want it out of the game, it just reeks of self-wankery. The whole thing with taunting that loudly, is you're opening yourself up to be hated or loved. People have to accept people disliking Bron's ego and posing in that situation against his old team. I wish there was somebody else on the court capable of taking the game back at him last night, even Kyrie Irving. As it was, Bron Bron was just full of his own "greatness" against Cavs bench at the 10-minute mark. I respect his ability but don't like it. I'm a much bigger fan of the competitive, feisty taunters. Kobe, AI (step over was greatness), Reggie. Using it to push them or their team to greater levels, fighting for the mental edge.

Not being a dick but what really is the difference?

I loved and watched AI his whole career and he rarely taunted the opposition. That Finals Game 1 was the only time I remember really only because he was so frustrated the whole game with Lue.

Even Lebron. I barely see him celebrate and lately the last two games were the only times I saw him do it so demonstratively.

Sports is live theater and drama to me, I have no idea why anyone would want the fun and pure emotion taken out of it.

I thought people weren't cool with players being all buddy buddy and shit...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Taunting is one of those things that you either are okay with or not. I'm okay with it, the same way that I am okay with fans booing referees or past asshole players to let them know they fucked up.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I have a question for the people that don't like taunting.

Are any of you or have any of you been (in your day) good basketball players?

Cause I gotta say that I'm usually a solid example of good sportsmanship. But if the game gets heated or I get hot and get on a streak then by reflex my defender is gonna start hearing about it. :) Like wise if the guy I'm guarding starts yakking at me cause I am doing a less than stellar job at stopping him then I expect to hear something. I feel it's deserved. Haha.

Just seems that complaining about trash talking wouldn't come from someone that played sports at a competitive enough level to have been involved in it. I have always thought that it was just part of the game.

Smart sucked today, he's slumped hardcore the last couple games. I dunno if he's Top 3 material anymore, might still impress in individual workouts. Then again everyone laughed at Andre Drummond doing nothing vs. Iowa State and he's been one of the better rookies in the league so who knows.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Oregon is tough though man. I didn't see the game cause I was watching my Bulldogs squeak by a 16 seed that were all wearing Andre the Giant sized jerseys. Seriously! What was up with that?
But I know the Ducks are just workhorses on the glass.
Is Smart going pro?

J2 Cool

Not being a dick but what really is the difference?

I loved and watched AI his whole career and he rarely taunted the opposition. That Finals Game 1 was the only time I remember really only because he was so frustrated the whole game with Lue.

Even Lebron. I barely see him celebrate and lately the last two games were the only times I saw him do it so demonstratively.

No difference, preference. Also, definitely seen Bron celebrate before.

irmuOqCrx3rHg.gif

Still want it all in the game.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I have a question for the people that don't like taunting.

Are any of you or have any of you been (in your day) good basketball players?

Cause I gotta say that I'm usually a solid example of good sportsmanship. But if the game gets heated or I get hot and get on a streak then by reflex my defender is gonna start hearing about it. :) Like wise if the guy I'm guarding starts yakking at me cause I am doing a less than stellar job at stopping him then I expect to hear something. I feel it's deserved. Haha.

Just seems that complaining about trash talking wouldn't come from someone that played sports at a competitive enough level to have been involved in it. I have always thought that it was just part of the game.

I don't hate trash talking like some but I don't think it directly translates to you weren't good at basketball

I almost never talked trash all business

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't hate trash talking like some but I don't think it directly translates to you weren't good at basketball

I almost never talked trash all business

For sure. My question won't result in some clear cut answer that proves that people that hate trash talking and show boating don't have skills. But if you have played at a high enough level of ball you likely don't have a negative view of it.
Even if you were the quiet businessman on your squad you likely weren't ticked when your SG hit three big shots in a row and got all pumped up.

If you were part of a competitive team you are likely more comfortable with that aspect of sports.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
For sure. My question won't result in some clear cut answer that proves that people that hate trash talking and show boating don't have skills. But if you have played at a high enough level of ball you likely don't have a negative view of it.
Even if you were the quiet businessman on your squad you likely weren't ticked when your SG hit three big shots in a row and got all pumped up.

If you were part of a competitive team you are likely more comfortable with that aspect of sports.

Getting pumped is different than running your mouth all day tho

Acetions speak louder than words?
Damn skippy

effzee

No difference, preference. Also, definitely seen Bron celebrate before.

irmuOqCrx3rHg.gif

Still want it all in the game.

This is sad more than anything else.

So that is three times I count Lebron taunting. But even given that, I think the original claim (which you didn't make) that he has no respect for the game or is a clown holds no merit.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Bobcats would've already beat Miami this year if Wade didn't kick Sessions in the nuts

oh well

Top Bottom