• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

giri

Hypothetical: Win or lose, Spurs players such as Duncan might retire. What happens to Miami if they lose this finals? Do they bring back the same team? Do they try to replace a bunch of role players? Do they attempt to trade Wade or Bosh even?

Miami big 3 are back next year. The return they'd get for wade wouldn't be worth it (fan backlash too, probably) and they can't trade bosh or lbj at this point.

I think TD said he's back for atleast one more year. But manu sounds like he's going to retire.

Cloudy

Banned
Heat will still win this series but the way LeBron is playing is proving his skeptics right. He is a total frontrunner and doesn't trust his jumper under pressure. If not for Miller and Chalmers, this is a 3-0 series

Am I the only one who thinks Parker has sucked this series? He's not a great penatrate and kick guy or facilitator and I think having a guy like Neal who can take his man off the dribble and hit the long ball might be better for this particular series.

Heat will still win this series but the way LeBron is playing is proving his skeptics right. He is a total frontrunner and doesn't trust his jumper under pressure. If not for Miller and Chalmers, this is a 3-0 series

Spurs have outplayed the heat the entire series except the last 1.5 quarters of GM 2

But heat will win because lebron? Ok

Cloudy

Banned
The Spurs are playing Lebron the way every team should play him. Dare him to shoot that jumper every time down court. No reason to jump on him if he isn't hitting the midrange shot.

Problem is the refs usually give him fts for barreling to the hoop. He hasn't been getting that this series. He is a totally different player without rim-runs and transition steals

Cloudy

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks Parker has sucked this series? He's not a great penatrate and kick guy or facilitator and I think having a guy like Neal who can take his man off the dribble and hit the long ball might be better for this particular series.

Parker's penetration and threat of penetration is why those other guys are getting wide open 3 s. If he can't go, Spurs won't win another game

Cloudy

Banned
Spurs have outplayed the heat the entire series except the last 1.5 quarters of GM 2

For Spurs to win, they have to beat Miami 3 straight times (They won't win again in Miami) Not likely. The 2-3-2 is a huge disadvantage here

Fjordson

He hasn't been great overall, but game 1 he was good down the stretch scoring 10 in the 4th, and even tonight he made some really nice plays and ended with 8 assists despite only playing like 2 and a half quarters.

Neal is stepping up huge, but overall they still need Parker. He's still their best player.

Clevinger

SPOELSTRA.gif

hello darkness my old friend

For Spurs to win, they have to beat Miami 3 straight times (They won't win again in Miami) Not likely. The 2-3-2 is a huge disadvantage here

Why do the Spurs have to win 3 straight times?

They're only the best road team in basketball and already won in Miami

But lebron right?

giri

Just you.

Parker has been playing well.

The others on his team have even commented on it. TP isn't going to score here because the heat are going at him extremely hard on PnR's. But he's making the right pass when he's getting trapped which is leaving other players open.

They fear him doing to them, what he did to the grizz a whole lot that they're basically tailoring their defense to him. (Similar to what OKC did last year in the WCF).

Cloudy

Banned
Why do the Spurs have to win 3 straight times?

They're only the best road team in basketball and already won in Miami

But lebron right?

I'm thinking more refs than Bron. What happens when refs suddenly start giving Miami fts on suicide drives? You know it's coming

Lebron is going to have to have great jump shooting nights for him to have monster games agains the Spurs

that's a scary thought for Heat fans and the media who so badly want the Spurs to lose

JohnsonUT

I just watched the beginning of the fourth. Parker looked agile and never once grabbed at his leg. I don't know why he wouldnt be able to play the next game.

The thing is the Heat have to go 3 for 4 for the remainder of the series. Not impossible, but after last night's beatdown and with the next two games still in San Antonio, it's going to be hard to see the Heat turn-around have a 75% win percentage against the Spurs. 12 quarters have been played so far, and the Spurs have pretty much equaled or outplayed the Heat for 10 of them.

.....and 3 quarters of game 1 didn't exist?

The thing is the Heat have to go 3 for 4 for the remainder of the series. Not impossible, but after last night's beatdown and with the next two games still in San Antonio, it's going to be hard to see the Heat turn-around have a 75% win percentage against the Spurs. 12 quarters have been played so far, and the Spurs have pretty much equaled or outplayed the Heat for 10 of them.

yeah this is pretty much bullshit as well

god this place is such a goldmine for comments like these after a loss

Sharp

I agree with ph33nix. I think the teams are really, really close talent-wise. If the Spurs get up two games, it's probably over, but otherwise I don't know that I could predict the outcome of the series.

I just watched the beginning of the fourth. Parker looked agile and never once grabbed at his leg. I don't know why he wouldnt be able to play the next game.

Apparent good news on that

@Buck_SA What I heard from Spurs medical minds: @tonyparker hamstring more of a cramp. Expected to be fine for Thursday.

bionic77

I think the Heat have more talent.

I think the biggest advantage the Spurs have is Pop.

I said it after game 1, game 4 is going to be the deciding game (barring a serious injury or miracle). If the Heat win that I think they go back in the driver seat. If the Spurs win it then that is all she wrote and the Spurs fan can start planning the parade. And if LeBron doesn't show up in this must, must, must win game then I am straight out calling him a fraud and siding with Skip Bayless after Thursday.

I like how all the people saying "that's not happening" has forgotten that san antonio has been back swept and that in the last two finals the winning team won three and four straight to get the title

and so far,

san antonio has "won" 5 quarters so far. miami has gotten 5 and they tied the other two

and somehow we got "should be 3-0!" in here

Vestal

I like how all the people saying "that's not happening" has forgotten that san antonio has been back swept and that in the last two finals the winning team won three and four straight to get the title

and so far,

san antonio has "won" 5 quarters so far. miami has gotten 5 and they tied the other two

Ph33nix how dare you bring out stats and FACTS!!!

charsace

One of the problems with the heat is that they don't respect or trust Spo. And that's mostly due to the american basketball culture. There's a reason why the Spurs have a lot of foreign players on the rosters. It isn't just about finding hidden gems.

.....and 3 quarters of game 1 didn't exist?

what? the firs 3 quarters of game 1 were a wash, but mainly it was Spurs missing so many wide open 3s

Heat were lucky Spurs didn't win by 10+ if they even made 1/2 their open 3s that game

and so far,

so much ignorance in this post

Thunder were a horrible matchup for the Spurs and Splitter/Green/Leonard weren't 1/2 the players last season

the last 2 season in the finals? you realize the only team to ever lose a finals when wining GM3 tied 1-1 and lose the finals was your precious Heat right? LOL. Last year the Heat won those 4 straight, mainly due to the fact that..... THEY HAD THREE STRAIGHT GAMES AT HOME

I think the Heat have more talent.

I think the biggest advantage the Spurs have is Pop.

I said it after game 1, game 4 is going to be the deciding game (barring a serious injury or miracle). If the Heat win that I think they go back in the driver seat. If the Spurs win it then that is all she wrote and the Spurs fan can start planning the parade. And if LeBron doesn't show up in this must, must, must win game then I am straight out calling him a fraud and siding with Skip Bayless after Thursday.

I feel ya, this is pretty much how I feel. Lebron needs to pull out a game 6 ecf performance like he did last year against the Celtics.

what? the firs 3 quarters of game 1 were a wash, but mainly it was Spurs missing so many wide open 3s

Heat were lucky Spurs didn't win by 10+ if they even made 1/2 their open 3s that game

Ok, if you want to be "I'm only using the stats that support my argument" guy, then my point still stands. Miami blew out San Antonio game 2, San Antonio blew out Miami game 3...

but you say the first 3 quarters of game 1 don't count...till you guys won the 4th. you realize how dumbass this argument sounds, right?

The only reason you guys have a tangible advantage right now is the fact that Miami lost homecourt, not because you somehow think Miami has been badly outplayed most of the series, which is total bullshit

so much ignorance in this post

Thunder were a horrible matchup for the Spurs and Splitter/Green/Leonard weren't 1/2 the players last season

the last 2 season in the finals? you realize the only team to ever lose a finals when wining GM3 tied 1-1 and lose the finals was your precious Heat right? LOL. Last year the Heat won those 4 straight, mainly due to the fact that..... THEY HAD THREE STRAIGHT GAMES AT HOME

yeah I wonder if you saying the Thunder were a horrible matchup for the spurs when you were up 2-0 and everyone was crowning you kings

my point is that both you and I don't really know what's in store for game 4 and 5. so please get out of your with your garbage

Ok, if you want to be "I'm only using the stats that support my argument" guy, then my point still stands. Miami blew out San Antonio game 2, San Antonio blew out Miami game 3...

but you say the first 3 quarters of game 1 don't count...till you guys won the 4th. you realize how dumbass this argument sounds, right?

The only reason you guys have a tangible advantage right now is the fact that Miami lost homecourt, not because you somehow think Miami has been badly outplayed most of the series, which is total bullshit

What seeprates you and I is that you only look at final box score and call it day.
GM1 Spurs win a close game, but mainly because Spurs missed so many open 3s.
GM2 game was close till end of 3rd, Spurs were even up by 5 in the 3rd but absolutely collapsed and got blown out
GM3 Spurs dominate the entire game, Spurs should have been up by 15 at half but kept Miami in the game with stupid turnovers

yeah I wonder if you saying the Thunder were a horrible matchup for the spurs when you were up 2-0 and everyone was crowning you kings

my point is that both you and I don't really know what's in store for game 4 and 5. so please get out of your with your garbage

Spurs barely won games 1 and 2 at home against the Thunder, in fact the Spurs had to come back from 10+ points to win GM1 AT HOME, probably the least convining 2-0 lead I ever seen

and no shit no one knows what's going to happen GM3-4, all I'm saying it pretty what I expected in this series is happening

What seeprates you and I is that you only look at final box score and call it day.
GM2 game was close till end of 3rd, Spurs were even up by 5 in the 3rd but absolutely collapsed and got blown out
GM3 Spurs dominate the entire game, Spurs should have been up by 15 at half but kept Miami in the game with stupid turnovers

Spurs barely won games 1 and 2 at home against the Thunder, in fact the Spurs had to come back from 10+ points to win GM1 AT HOME, probably the least convining 2-0 lead I ever seen

and no shit no one knows what's going to happen GM3-4, all I'm saying it pretty what I expected in this series is happening

I don't use the box scores like you say I do. Although I guess my argument set it up that way.

Anyways, you're only point out the deficiencies of the Spurs---"If Spurs didn't do this, they'd be up more!" ---- hey uh, I could play the same game with Miami. "If their defense and turnover issue was better, they'd be up! If they didn't turn the ball over 5 times in the 4th of game 1 they'd have won"

The only tangible thing going right now is that LeBron looks lost as a shooter. But hey, if you want to declare the Spurs winning the chip, you might as well do it now since that's what I'm seeing from you. ZERO chance for Miami, apparently.

KingKong

Spurs had 4 turnovers in Game 1 which is not going to happen again

I really don't have any idea what will happen next in this series because it's been so strange. None of the guys in either big 3 are playing up to their ability and the shooting from role players has been ridiculous for both. It's been a really weird series that I don't think can be predicted moving forward.

hello darkness my old friend

Yessss.

bionic77

I don't use the box scores like you say I do. Although I guess my argument set it up that way.

Anyways, you're only point out the deficiencies of the Spurs---"If Spurs didn't do this, they'd be up more!" ---- hey uh, I could play the same game with Miami. "If their defense and turnover issue was better, they'd be up! If they didn't turn the ball over 5 times in the 4th of game 1 they'd have won"

The only tangible thing going right now is that LeBron looks lost as a shooter. But hey, if you want to declare the Spurs winning the chip, you might as well do it now since that's what I'm seeing from you. ZERO chance for Miami, apparently.
Thats always what happens. Everyone changes their opinion on a game to game basis depending on who wins.

The one thing you can't spin for the Heat is that they just gave game 3 away without much of a fight. If they had held homecourt that would not be that big of a deal, but they are not showing enough urgency for a team whose season could be over by the end of the week.

The only thing more disappointing than LBJ's play so far is the narrative that is going to occur if the Spurs don't win the series after having the 2-1 lead following the delivery of a sound thumping like last night's game.

Everyone is going to forget that the team featuring Lebron, Wade, Bosh and Allen along with quality supersubs/role players that won 27 games in a row and led the league in everything is *supposed* to win. Everyone is going to forget that them losing would be an *upset*. They're going to say that LBJ overcame impossible odds, came from "behind" and proved himself as potential GOAT, and not remember that there isn't supposed to be any team that could challenge his team on equal footing in this era - only teams that can hope to upset his team.

So I hope the Spurs find a way to win now that they're halfway there - if they don't win, the reasons they will create to canonize the Heat/LBJ will be even more outsized.

Miami could do things better also, but for everything the Heat can fix so can the Spurs. Parker had only 6 points, Manu 7, Duncan 12

I'm not saying the Spurs are going to blow out the Heat but 30 next two games, I think the rest of the series will be very tight. Just saying the Spurs are a really bad matchup for the Heat and this series has gone as expected by those who actually watch Spurs games, which isn't many.

Spurs had 4 turnovers in Game 1 which is not going to happen again

The Heat also had a very low turnover count that game, so it was a wash

where's that Kobe thread that was promised? i got some shit to unload off my chest. dont wanna say it in here cause it will start up old arguments.

Top Bottom