• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Vahagn

How many times was Rodman the best player in a Finals?

How many times was Rodman the leading scorer in the Finals? How many times did he have an epic closeout game even if someone else was better overall in the series?

One of these three criteria are basically how you win Finals MVP.

Which btw, is selected by nine sportswriters during the last game of the Finals.

I've already said Timmy won Finals MVP because they won and because there was nobody better. But those stats are abysmal for someone like Timmy. That's not a Finals MVP where he dominated, or played like the best player in the league or anything like it.

He had 20 PPG. He shot 41% he shot 66% from the FT line. He had more TO's than assists. It just wasn't impressive.

If you're Impressed by the best PF of all time getting 20/14/2 on 41% shooting that's fine. I'm not.

Vahagn

[/B]

Nobody is claiming 20ppg is some amazing achievement. Folks are disagreeing with you that it supports your claim that Tim had the worst finals of any NBA finals MvP.

Also, what does your point about Lebron have to do with the price of tea in China?

I corrected my statement to say Worst in recent memory. At least going back 30 years. IMWTB said something about the 70's. He's probably right. But since Magic's crazy game 6 in 1980 and on...I think you'd be hard pressed to find a worse overall performance as Finals MVP.

How many times was Rodman the best player in a Finals?

How many times was Rodman the leading scorer in the Finals? How many times did he have an epic closeout game even if someone else was better overall in the series?

One of these three criteria are basically how you win Finals MVP.

Which btw, is selected by nine sportswriters during the last game of the Finals.

Didn't they give a collective fan vote recently? Or is that only the NFL?

I corrected my statement to say Worst in recent memory. At least going back 30 years. IMWTB said something about the 70's. He's probably right. But since Magic's crazy game 6 in 1980 and on...I think you'd be hard pressed to find a worse overall performance as Finals MVP.

I'd take Duncan over Pierce this past decade. Pierce's Finals was pretty mixed. Best game in a loss and a really really bad game 3.

benjipwns

Banned
And in the same Simmons article he related how Bruce Bowen said that was the toughest defense they had faced.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is. No other Finals performance has lived up to Dwayne Wade's in 2006* so why should you consider anything less to be impressive?

*According to fact creator John Hollinger.

Didn't they give a collective fan vote recently? Or is that only the NFL?
Yeah, there's now a nba.com vote as a tenth one.

Sharp

benjipwns, Vahagn is not particularly interested in a logical discussion so it's really not worth arguing with him on this point. He has decided that Tim Duncan's 2005 performance was terrible and, while I'm sure it would be possible to dig up evidence to support it not being terrible, I see no reason to even try to look for that evidence. It's not going to change his mind. We know this because he refuses to even acknowledge the possibility that Duncan might have contributed more to that series than his simple box score statistics suggest.

Vahagn

And in the same Simmons article he related how Bruce Bowen said that was the toughest defense they had faced.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is. No other Finals performance has lived up to Dwayne Wade's in 2006* so why should you consider anything less to be impressive?

*According to fact creator John Hollinger.

Yeah, there's now a nba.com vote as a tenth one.

Tim Duncan 2003 Finals MVP

24.2 points
17.0 rebounds
5.3 assists
3.75 turnovers
1.0 steals
5.3 blocks
49.% FG shooting
68.5% FT shooting

Thata a pretty damn good definition of impressive.

Vahagn

benjipwns, Vahagn is not particularly interested in a logical discussion so it's really not worth arguing with him on this point. He has decided that Tim Duncan's 2005 performance was terrible and, while I'm sure it would be possible to dig up evidence to support it not being terrible, I see no reason to even try to look for that evidence. It's not going to change his mind. We know this because he refuses to even acknowledge the possibility that Duncan might have contributed more to that series than his simple box score statistics suggest.

I wonder, do you take this "there's a possibility that the person contributed more to the series than a box score suggests" thought process whenever you use stats and box scores to show someone sucking?

Of course there are things we don't know, things that box scores don't tell us. Stop with your basic premise shit like "box scores aren't everything" and "bigs and guards aren't all the same" - those are basic fundamental premises of basketball which we all understand...and neither of which explain away the crappy box score of that series.

The only contribution anyone said other than that box score anyway was "he plays defense" yea? So does everyone on the Spurs and the Pistons. Those were two incredible defensive teams and Timmy wasn't the only guy in his team playing this incredible brand of defense. We can argue, based on Timmy's numbers that Sheed and Wallace played better defense than anyone that series.

I'll remember the next time you ever use stats to try to make a point. "Oh Sharp isn't interested in logical arguments because he's providing statistics"

Sharp

I wonder, do you take this "there's a possibility that the person contributed more to the series than a box score suggests" thought process whenever you use stats and box scores to show someone sucking?
When do I do that? I'll wait.

The only contribution anyone said other than that box score anyway was "he plays defense" yea? So does everyone on the Spurs and the Pistons. Those were two incredible defensive teams and Timmy wasn't the only guy in his team playing this incredible brand of defense. We can argue, based on Timmy's numbers that Sheed and Wallace played better defense than anyone that series.
Would you like to have that argument? I'm fine with a logical constructed argument that Timmy's defense was not spectacular during that series, even though it was all season and has been throughout his career. That's not what you were arguing before, though. Here's another thing players can do that doesn't show up on their individual box scores (at least, not those you were using): drawing double teams and freeing up other shooters. See Tony Parker through the first three games of this series.

Of course there are things we don't know, things that box scores don't tell us. Stop with you're basic premise shit like "box scores aren't everything" and "bigs and guards aren't all the same" - those are basic fundamental premises of basketball...neither of which explain away the crappy box score of that series.

I'll remember the next time you ever use stats to try to make a point. "Oh Sharp isn't interested in logical data because he's providing statistics"
I've been consistently vocal in my disapproval of box-score based player value statistics like PER, which correlate less strongly with actual games won than fucking MPG. Component statistics are only good for analyzing those components. If I'm ever guilty of forgetting that, you can be the first to remind me, Vag. In the meantime, I'll continue to berate you for abusing statistics and generally making people regret the existence of sites like basketball-reference.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
How does everyone feel about tomorrows game?
James scores 30, Miami win by 10. Tony Parker pulls out a gutsy Carlos Boozer like performance, and plays, tries his hardest to will his team to victory, while Manu Ginobli pulls a Taj Gibson/Joakim Noah/Luol Deng/Derrick Rose, and continues his mediocre play forcing a guy like Gary Neal to pull a Jimmy Butler and play above his pay grade.

Vahagn

When do I do that? I'll wait.

Would you like to have that argument? I'm fine with a logical constructed argument that Timmy's defense was not spectacular during that series, even though it was all season and has been throughout his career. That's not what you were arguing before, though. Here's another thing players can do that doesn't show up on their individual box scores (at least, not those you were using): drawing double teams and freeing up other shooters. See Tony Parker through the first three games of this series.

I've been consistently vocal in my disapproval of box-score based player value statistics like PER, which correlate less strongly with actual games won than fucking MPG. Component statistics are only good for analyzing those components. If I'm ever guilty of forgetting that, you can be the first to remind me, Vag. In the meantime, I'll continue to berate you for abusing statistics and generally making people regret the existence of sites like basketball-reference.

No one discussed Timmy's defense any more than "he plays defense". It's the 2005 Spurs and Pistons - half the individuals on both teams play defense. I'm not telling people that Kobe was secretly awesome in 2004 because he drew double teams or because his defense. Those kind of arguments can be made for every superstar to ever play. They all draw double teams. They're not Valid arguments for why Timmy was better that series than any Finals MVP's were for any other series in the last 30 years.

Unless you have evidence that he drew more double teams than Player A that won a Finals MVP in thr last 30 years, but you don't. So this is a moot point.

Look I'm with you on PER (which I never ever use except maybe to troll) and I'm with you on there being more to the game than stats...but neither you, nor anyone else provided some sort of conclusive, or at least believable argument that Timmy was head and shoulders better defensively than Bowen, or Wallace, or that he drew more double teams or did more intangibles than any other Finals MVP award winner.

His 2003 numbers were much better both offensively and (presumably) the things you discussed. He averaged a lot more assists (presumably off drawing double teams) and he more than doubled the number of blocks and steals combined (defense).

How does everyone feel about tomorrows game?

That it will be the moment that Lebron seizes and makes no doubt about his greatness

or it will define his career negatively as he fails to live up to what he should be capable of doing.

In other words, it's either game 6 vs Boston or game 5 vs Mavs. I have no idea which right now but i think the series is decided tomorrow night one way or another.

Vahagn

I have no clue. Bron is a complete enigma to me, and seeing as how relying on Wade or Bosh to take over the game is almost impossible...I have no idea.

Like Mamba said, could be game 6 against Boston...or Mavs series all over again.

The caveat being if TP doesn't play...Heat win the game and the series regardless.

benjipwns

Banned
Are you arguing that Chauncey Billups should have won the Finals MVP? Why bring up one of Kobe's many disastrous Finals performances?

Sharp

No one discussed Timmy's defense any more than "he plays defense". It's the 2005 Spurs and Pistons - half the individuals on both teams play defense. I'm not telling people that Kobe was secretly awesome in 2004 because he drew double teams or because his defense. Those kind of arguments can be made for every superstar to ever play. They all draw double teams. They're not Valid arguments for why Timmy was better that series than any Finals MVP's were for any other series in the last 30 years.
First off, nobody cares about guards' defense in the real world. It matters, but not all that much. And for the love of god, stop bringing Kobe into this, nobody gives a shit about Kobe.

Secondly, Timmy doesn't just "play defense." He's one of the best defensive forwards of all time. The null hypothesis here is that he did play superior defense and the burden of proof is on you to show us that he didn't.

Unless you have evidence that he drew more double teams than Player A that won a Finals MVP in thr last 30 years, but you don't. So this is a moot point.
I wasn't using that as a specific argument for Duncan. I was throwing out an additional example of how the box score doesn't show everything, since you seemed fixated on the idea that defense was everything.

Look I'm with you on PER (which I never ever use except maybe to troll) and I'm with you on there being more to the game than stats...but neither you, nor anyone else provided some sort of conclusive, or at least believable argument that Timmy was head and shoulders better defensively than Bowen, or Wallace, or that he drew more double teams or did more intangibles than any other Finaks MVP award winner.
And maybe he didn't. Again, I am totally willing to have this argument. While dRtg isn't great in small samples, I wouldn't say Duncan looks particularly good in this series. To really analyze it properly we need a lot more numbers than that, and we should really be analyzing rotations since tracking rotations tends to produce more useful results than tracking individual players in basketball (for obvious reasons). You see how much nicer the conversation is when we are actually having one?

His 2003 numbers were much better both offensively and presumably the things you discussed. He averaged a lot more assists (presumably off drawing double teams) and he more than doubled the number of blocks and steals combined (defense).
Blocks and steals are a really, really bad measure of defense, and I'm not sure why you keep bringing them up. They're not quite as bad as using, say, errors in baseball, but they're close. They are assigned undue weight because they happen to show up in the box score and are extremely prone to scorer bias (particularly home / away scoring). The fact that you keep bringing things like this up is why I keep explaining what you call "the basics" to you; it's not clear to me that you really understand them.

Actually, here's a very simple exercise for you: are blocks and steals "worth" the same amount of win probability (or points prevented, if you want to be more granular), or is one "worth" more than the other? Justify your response. If they aren't worth the same, how can you add them together?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
lol at Vaggy thinking he can even touch Sharp mathematically. You're funny, bruh.

diehard

Fleer
Rondo and Melo could both have the worst games of their careers on the same day, and it still wouldn't be on the same Bat-Signal level to me as Lebron sucking is to The Chosen One.

linsivvi

Since we have decided to continue to argue with Vaggy as if he was capable of reason, let me mention the source material that started this whole debate: Bill Simmons. As if he's going to write anything negative about the 2008 Celtics, and that team definitely featured a worse Finals MVP than the 2005 Spurs.

benjipwns

Banned
Rondo and Melo could both have the worst games of their careers on the same day, and it still wouldn't be on the same Bat-Signal level to me as Lebron sucking is to The Chosen One.
Out of curiosity, I looked these up. And this one of Melo's might interest you: http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200411060DEN.html

Have some some potential Rondo ones free of charge:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201202280CLE.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200712270SEA.html

And not a "worst game" he only took and missed one shot in 32 minutes in this one:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201204260BOS.html

Triple double for Rondo, while shooting 19%:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201204110BOS.html

Fjordson

I have been a little amazed at how strong Miami comes back after a loss lately. Every fucking time.

I'm hoping the Spurs come out and break that streak finally. Won't be a blowout, but maybe they get a close one with better play from Timmy and Tony.

I also hope Tony's hamstring isn't too major. FFS Tony don't let me down.

I have been a little amazed at how strong Miami comes back after a loss lately. Every fucking time.

I'm hoping the Spurs come out and break that streak finally. Won't be a blowout, but maybe they get a close one with better play from Timmy and Tony.

I also hope Tony's hamstring isn't too major. FFS Tony don't let me down.

Neither of these teams lose back to backs very much...and one of these teams must be broken.

I am pretty sure the worst thing ever would be to keep trading wins and losses...till the Spurs win game 7. Holy shit the offseason thread and memes about "Well the Heat still never lost back to back games since January!" would still hold true ;_;

Neither of these teams lose back to backs very much...and one of these teams must be broken.

I am pretty sure the worst thing ever would be to keep trading wins and losses...till the Spurs win game 7. Holy shit the offseason thread and memes about "Well the Heat still never lost back to back games since January!" would still hold true ;_;

Would you rather the Spurs wrap it up in game 5? ;p

Fjordson

:lol shit either way, it's going to be an entertaining finish that's for sure.

Also, I'm fascinated that a guy like Danny Green has outscored Lebron this series 56 to 50 so far. Just insane. Will be interesting to see if LeBron can turn things around.

:lol shit either way, it's going to be an entertaining finish that's for sure.

Also, I'm fascinated that a guy like Danny Green has outscored Lebron this series 56 to 50 so far. Just insane. Will be interesting to see if LeBron can turn things around.

I'm just as interested to see if the Spurs outside shooting is going to suck for at least one or two more games (please?). there's no way we're winning them if neal, green, and leonard are all feeling unconscious

but there's also no way they win unless lebron start putting up his normal numbers

I'm just as interested to see if the Spurs outside shooting is going to suck for at least one or two more games (please?). there's no way we're winning them if neal, green, and leonard are all feeling unconscious

but there's also no way they win unless lebron start putting up his normal numbers

We don't need all 3 of them to go off with the space they've been getting.

We don't need all 3 of them to go off with the space they've been getting.

Well if Spoelstra develops the testicular fortitude (which he won't) to bench Wade they won't have that kind of space

Or at least I won't have to watch a late rotation on Wade's man every time

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well if Spoelstra develops the testicular fortitude (which he won't) to bench Wade they won't have that kind of space

Ray in long mins would be ugly at this point...

bionic77

If you bench Wade in the Finals then he will have to be traded in the offseason for pennies on the dollar.

You have to ride the big 3 until the end, for better or worse.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Who would play over Wade?

think.gif

You think Miller would be better in longer mins?

What can he do to hurt the team though? All he has to do is make sure Green doesn't get wide open threes.

I'd definitely start Wade because he's generally started games great, but as soon as he shows signs of a slide I'd start giving Miller significant burn.

Miller? His defense has been fine and he's probably been a top 3 player for the Heat over the last two NBA finals.

Miller's defense has been quite bad in the series, but at least his shooting even's it out somewhat and the Spurs don't play 8 feet off of him. Wade has been a net negative.

Didn't Miller seem to tweek his back when he left game 3?

Miller's defense has been quite bad in the series, but at least his shooting even's it out somewhat and the Spurs don't play 8 feet off of him. Wade has been a net negative.

Didn't Miller seem to tweek his back when he left game 3?

Yeah, I remember him grimacing. Can't remember how much he played afterwards. I don't think the dude is up for 30 minutes of chasing Danny Green and Gary Neal through back screens and cuts to the basket

Westlo

don't feel good about game 4... and fuck even if it is boston game 6 lebron and spo makes the right adjustments, Pop will counter next game anyway. Not going to outcoach pop in a series from behind...

Yeah, I remember him grimacing. Can't remember how much he played afterwards. I don't think the dude is up for 30 minutes of chasing Danny Green and Gary Neal through back screens and cuts to the basket

They've also been involving him a lot in pick and rolls and he's not great at fighting through screens.

I don't think he played at all after the Spurs blew it open in the 4th. I don't know if he ever plays without grimacing at least a little, so maybe it is just standard "Mike Miller is always hurt" stuff.

Should be a interesting game four. Is Parker and miller healthy. Will lebron attack the rim. I don't expect Green and Neal to smash again. Leonard will be constant .

Top Bottom