• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Pimpwerx

The Good Guys beat the Evil Empire tonight! All it right with the world. America's Team won again. Let's hope they can do it again next year. G'night Facebook. PEACE.

Prime-KG was a jabroni who couldn't get his team out of the first round. He was like Bosh+.

Prime-Dirk was unguardable. There were years he averaged higher than 50% as a long-range shooter.

KG won 51 games with this team in his prime:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2003.html

He had to go on the ROAD in the 1st round against the 3 time defending NBA champion Lakers.

But It's all KG's fault he couldn't carry Terrell Brandon and Wally Szerbiak against the 3 time champs on the road.

right....

Oh, and he put up 27/16/5/2/2 on 52% in that series!

Since this thread will start to slow down in favor of the off-season thread, just wanted to say one last congrats to Heat-Age. I hate on your team on the regular, but everyone in here seem like good people.

Even though you hated the shit out of them I do appreciate that you understood all my NBA 2k references and that you liked my now dead dog

See you on the PS4 in 2k14 when you pre-order that LeBron cover!

Dirk is better is than KG. that 2010-2011 MAVS team was the only team to beat the Heat's big 3.i think that year there were 4 Celtic all stars? Yeah dirk was the only one.

trixx

Yeah ok I'm sorry Robinson signed a basketball card for me when I was 7 years old. But you tuned into the telecast of The Decision like millions. You're about as much a Heat fan as Juwan Howard is a champion.
This is a bit too much man. Grats to heat and fan base once again, nice try spurs y'all played extremely well. Good luck to everyone's teams in the next season. G'night

Since this thread will start to slow down in favor of the off-season thread, just wanted to say one last congrats to Heat-Age. I hate on your team on the regular, but everyone in here seem like good people.
there was a guy with a warriors jersey in the crowd. your boy pilon wanted payback i guess.

J2 Cool

Rose don't like him or at least doesn't want to play with him. He said as much when Lebron was a free agent last time. JJ could have had a title by now since everyone wanted him on their teams during that period. Why? Who the fuck knows.

I hate that offseason, 2010. Not for the decision, but for Wade's backhanded/compensation tweet after pretending to court the Bulls:

"Congts 2 1 of the greatest human beings I know 'C Booz'. Chicago just won w/ U.."

That salt in the wound. I knew that tweet would haunt the second it was posted.

Fjordson

Even though you hated the shit out of them I do appreciate that you understood all my NBA 2k references and that you liked my now dead dog

See you on the PS4 in 2k14 when you pre-order that LeBron cover!
Fuck that, buying it used for sure.

nah, I might pre-order, the Lebron trailer from E3 looked dope.

there was a guy with a warriors jersey in the crowd. your boy pilon wanted payback i guess.
LOL I saw that, was hilarious.

Man, haven't been thinking about our season next year with the finals going on. I pray this year's success wasn't a complete fluke. I might have to make some sort of sacrifice to the gods in honor of Steph Curry's ankles this summer.

KG won 51 games with this team in his prime:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2003.html

He had to go on the ROAD in the 1st round against the 3 time defending NBA champion Lakers.

But It's all KG's fault he couldn't carry Terrell Brandon and Wally Szerbiak against the 3 time champs on the road.

right....

Oh, and he put up 27/16/5/2/2 on 52% in that series!

KG didn't win shit until he formed a super mini team in Boston though. That was never the case for Dirk. He's played there is whole career and he was the alpha dog the entire time.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
We all know you just looked at career advanced stats and set your ranking up that way, watching basketball games and counting titles is for suckers amirite?

Nothing like counting 1st NBA All defensive honors

lebron-harlem-shake.gif

Fjordson

I wish they wouldn't nerf the PC version and the online cause it has a lot more potential

But of course they give zero shits about that community
Yeah, it's weird how there isn't more parity between the versions.

Like I wanna say 2K12 didn't have the progressive sweat effect on PC? So random they would leave that out of what should be the best graphical version. I could be imagining this, but I'm almost positive that someone had to make a sweat mod to fix it :lol

J2 Cool

KG's a victim of circumstance. He proved he was a champion in Boston thank goodness, but he has to deal with comparisons with Dirk. Dirk had a better team around him all his years, but he was still the leader of a really successful team every year. The absolute go-to-guy. We'll never know what KG does on a top team, but you could say KG couldn't do what Dirk did in 2011 at the same age. That said, Dirk doesn't anchor Boston either. Pretty close.

Pat Riley sounds like a guy who is ready to jump ship and retire in Malibu this team splits

I hope their eventual tank whenever that may be does not land them another Michael Beasley

Yeah, it's weird how there isn't more parity between the versions.

Like I wanna say 2K12 didn't have the progressive sweat effect on PC? So random they would leave that out of what should be the best graphical version. I could be imagining this, but I'm almost positive that someone had to make a sweat mod to fix it :lol

They didn't even patch this year's, kind of embarrassing

KG's a victim of circumstance. He proved he was a champion in Boston thank goodness, but he has to deal with comparisons with Dirk. Dirk had a better team all his years, but he was still the leader of a really successful team every year. We'll never know what KG does on a top team, but you could say KG couldn't do what Dirk did in 2011 at the same age. Dirk doesn't anchor Boston either. Pretty close.

Dirk has played with two all stars that I know of: Kidd (and he was ancient) and Josh Howard. KG played with Marbury (was really good at one point), Rondo, Allen, and Pierce. Even Kendrick Perkins is better than Dampier.

Fjordson

Pat Riley sounds like a guy who is ready to jump ship and retire in Malibu this team splits

I hope their eventual tank whenever that may be does not land them another Michael Beasley

They didn't even patch this year's, kind of embarrassing
Yeah, that's really weird.

I always just get it for 360. My PC is sort of out of date at this point and my friends are all on 360 for online play. Though I don't really play online these days, I stick to My Career. Ever since I first played that back in 2k11 or whenever it was I've been addicted to that mode. On my second year with the Blazers going for dat repeat.

KG didn't win shit until he formed a super mini team in Boston though. That was never the case for Dirk. He's played there is whole career and he was the alpha dog the entire time.

KG never had a chance in Minnesota. He got screwed by the Joe Smith illegal deal that robbed the team of its future.

KG, in Minnesota, had exactly one season with non-NBDL teammates and got to the WCF where they probably win had Sam Cassell not gotten hurt (and I say that as a Laker fan).

That's it. He never had another chance there.

Meanwhile, Dirk won 66 games and got bounced in the first round.

Look, I don't want to take anything away from Dirk, but until KG went to Boston, except for that one season, Dirk always had better teammates. He even played with Nash for fuck's sake. He's had the 6MOTY like 3 times on his team, too.

Not good enough teammates to win it all, but better than the crap KG had in Minnesota. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no NBA superstar has had their primes wasted as badly as KG had his wasted in Minnesota. It is a crime against humanity what happened to him there.

If you swap KG and Duncan, I think KG wins 2 or 3 titles. Duncan's a bit better. If you swap Dirk, you still win 1. Maybe 2. That's how I see it.

Dirk has played with two all stars that I know of: Kidd (and he was ancient) and Josh Howard. KG played with Marbury (was really good at one point), Rondo, Allen, and Pierce. Even Kendrick Perkins is better than Dampier.

Dirk played with Nash, Chandler, Marion, Kidd, Terry, Jamison, Finley, NVE, Toine. Please.

jman2050

One thing that seems to be lost in Lebron's great game and Bosh's 0-fer is that Bosh probably had two of the best defensive games of his career in games 6 and 7.

KG never had a chance in Minnesota. He got screwed by the Joe Smith illegal deal that robbed the team of its future.

KG, in Minnesota, had exactly one season with non-NBDL teammates and got to the WCF where they probably win had Sam Cassell not gotten hurt (and I say that as a Laker fan).

Look, I don't want to take anything away from Dirk, but until KG went to Boston, except for that one season, Dirk always had better teammates. He even played with Nash for fuck's sake. He's had the 6MOTY like 3 times on his team, too.

Not good enough teammates to win it all, but better than the crap KG had in Minnesota. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no NBA superstar has had their primes wasted as badly as KG had his wasted in Minnesota. It is a crime against humanity what happened to him there.

If you swap KG and Duncan, I think KG wins 2 or 3 titles. Duncan's a bit better. If you swap Dirk, you still win 1. Maybe 2. That's how I see it.

Dirk played with Nash, Chandler, Marion, Kidd, Terry, Jamison, Finley, NVE, Toine. Please.

You can't bring in hypothetical scenarios when comparing players and their bodies of work. It's silly. "If my uncle had tits he'd be my auntie."

Not a single player you listed is as good as Ray Allen or Paul Pierce. I don't think a bloated Antoine Walker is a pro on any planet.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Walker Jamison NVE Carter JET(6th man of the year) Marion Nash

You can't bring in hypothetical scenarios when comparing players and their bodies of work. It's silly. "If my uncle had tits he'd be my auntie."

I gave an opinion, nothing more.

You also ignore pretty much everything there but earlier state Dirk only played with Kidd.

'04 Mavs:
Dirk
Nash
Jamison
Finley
Antoine Walker.
Josh Howard

'04 Wolves
KG
Cassell
Spreewell
Trenton Hassell
Fred Hoiberg
Mark Madsen

That's based on minutes. Who won more games? Oh right, KG's team.

edit: lol Nash sucked. All he did was 15/9 on 59% TS%.

I gave an opinion, nothing more.

You also ignore pretty much everything there but earlier state Dirk only played with Kidd.

'04 Mavs:
Dirk
Nash
Jamison
Finley
Antoine Walker.
Josh Howard

'04 Wolves
KG
Cassell
Spreewell
Trenton Hassell
Fred Hoiberg
Mark Madsen

That's based on minutes. Who won more games? Oh right, KG's team.

That's fine, but Dirk has NEVER played with players like Pierce and Allen. Dirk has NEVER had a legitimate second option in his career. You're completely ignoring the fact that KG played with two other first ballot hall of famers!

Dirk was so just so efficient and drew so much attention without the ball that I think he helped his team as much offensively as maybe any scorer other than Jordan has. I know that '07 loss was terrible, but winning 67 games with a Dampier-Diop center rotation and Jason Terry as a third option is still incredible despite that I think.

That might be because I don't like Terry and I was traumatized by post-prime Josh Howard though.

Branduil

Dirk made Josh Howard look like a real all-star, Erick Dampier look like a real starting center, and Avery Johnson look like a real NBA coach.

Don't really understand either. It's an easy choice. Dirks stats in the playoffs are off the charts. He has a finals mvp. Did it all on one team. Won an MVP. Clutch. Beat the big 3 as the only all star

There's no argument. The kicker is that Dirk never played with the talent level KG has over the past five years either. Ever. Pierce and Allen are hall of famers. Nash wasn't even good when Dirk played with him. Nash was putting up the MVP numbers after Dallas, not during.

That's fine, but Dirk has NEVER played with players like Pierce and Allen. Dirk has NEVER had a legitimate second option in his career. You're completely ignoring the fact that KG played with two other first ballot hall of famers!

I'm not ignoring it. But you're too focused on it.

First off, they never were in their primes together. Second, in the first 3 years together, they made 2 Finals and really one didn't happened because KG blew out his knee. So 2 for 2.

So KG, given talent, made it to the Finals both years he had it.

Yeah, I agree, the 2008 Boston team was the best team either player played on. So what?

We're talking who is the better player, yes? KG was better at almost every year at the same age as Dirk. It's only debatable at age 32 and 33.

KG at 28 vs Dirk at 28? no contest. Kg's entire career vs Dirk? no contest.

KG is simply the better all-around player. KG's prime was as good, if not better, on offense as Dirk's. But KG's defense is top 10 all time.

Dirk was so just so efficient and drew so much attention without the ball that I think he helped his team as much offensively as maybe any scorer other than Jordan has. I know that '07 loss was terrible, but winning 67 games with a Dampier-Diop center rotation and Jason Terry as a third option is still incredible despite that I think.

That might be because I don't like Terry and I was traumatized by post-prime Josh Howard though.
Dirk IS an incredible player. But he isn't a better player than KG over their careers.

Vahagn

I just don't think you can definitively say a guys good enough to lead his team to a chip until he does it. Players Wilt (KG was known for this), they struggle, they sometimes can lead you to the finals but can't get you over the hump like Shaq in the 90's or Kidd at the turn of the century.

Maybe KG does it with better teammates, maybe he doesn't. That's why doing it is worth so much. It's why cats who think 3 chips = 5 chips are so wrong IMO, especially in the modern era.

The narrative on Dirk was that he just wasn't quite good enough and it was true, he wasn't. Not until he grew and improved. He had the more talented team plenty of times in a playoff series, or the upper hand plenty of times and couldn't pull it out.

KG is better than Dirk because he played a two way game better than Dirk played a one way game. But to go into hypotheticals with a guy who hasn't proven it I don't think is fair to the guys who have.

Top Bottom