• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

If LeBron has another season like the last two (which will be really hard obviously, but it's possible), he'll be tied for second most MVPs ever, second most Finals MVPs ever, and third or fourth most playoff win shares ever while being under 30.

It's kind of incredible how close he is to so many records for both playoff and regular season dominance while only being twenty fucking eight. Ridiculous.

I don't know why you assume Lebron having another season like this guarantees a title?

I still don't believe a team can make 4 Finals in a row in this day and age. Granted, the East is trying to fuck with that by being terrible.

Of course, that changes in 2014 when he's a Laker.

Also, as for regular season MVPs, never ignore voter fatigue. Karl Malone knows all about it.

If LeBron has another season like the last two (which will be really hard obviously, but it's possible), he'll be tied for second most MVPs ever, second most Finals MVPs ever, and third or fourth most playoff win shares ever while being under 30.

It's kind of incredible how close he is to so many records for both playoff and regular season dominance while only being twenty fucking eight. Ridiculous.

It's too bad the Heat are imploding next year and that'll never happen. Wouldn't be surprised if this is Lebron's last chip. His first was during a strike-shortened season and his second was after a fluke game 6 win with two missed calls, the opposing coach throwing the game, and every bounce going their way. This was his last ring. Wade has nothing left and Bosh is terrible, he's a role player at best. That team is done and so are Lebron's chances at another ring unless he takes his talents to another team with an all-star roster.

snack

i2K8HkkfduxlO.gif
Hits me in the feels.

I don't know why you assume Lebron having another season like this guarantees a title?

I still don't believe a team can make 4 Finals in a row in this day and age. Granted, the East is trying to fuck with that by being terrible.

Of course, that changes in 2014 when he's a Laker.

Also, as for regular season MVPs, never ignore voter fatigue. Karl Malone knows all about it.

LeBron isn't going to L.A. to play for Mike Dan Tony.

Vahagn

Lol playoff win shares. Jesus dude, use numbers and records that actually matter. They don't give trophies for highest playoff win shares.

If he wins another Finals MVP he'll be tied with Shaq, Magic, Duncan and behind Jordan but in all reality should be behind Mikan and Russel too, they just didn't give the award then, but you know they'd each have more than 3.

Even if you wanna discredit Mikan, definitely not Bill.

If Lebron wins 4 rings and 4 Finals MVP's he'll be a top 5 all time player.

As for regular season MVP, that's a popularity award. Jordan should have more, Magic should have more, Shaq, Kobe should have more than they had.

The real danger for Lebron is that he ends up with more MVP's than chips. Would be the only guy in the history of the league with more than 2 MVP's to have that problem.

Vire

he'll be an excellent tank commander in 2020 when we tank for shawn kemp jr.

I dunno if he'll still be here. He's probably going to want to get PAID when his rookie contract is up.

He won the championships, now it's time to make bank. (And someone will pick him up)

It's kind of funny how Wade basically carried Lebron and the Heat on his back tonight. I hate having to say that but it's the truth. Wade was forced to get it rolling early on because Lebron was his typical passive self.

12-23 FG | 8-8 FT | 12 REB | 4 AST | 37 PTS

I'm happy for you Heat fans. I agree completely with Magic. The unnecessary criticism of LeBron should end after tonight (it won't). It's going to be hard as hell to 3 peat though.

It's kind of funny how Wade basically carried Lebron and the Heat on his back tonight. I hate having to say that but it's the truth. Wade was forced to get it rolling early on because Lebron was his typical passive self.

Oh I see you're just as much of a joke character off the gaming side as well.

It's too bad the Heat are imploding next year and that'll never happen. Wouldn't be surprised if this is Lebron's last chip. His first was during a strike-shortened season and his second was after a fluke game 6 win with two missed calls, the opposing coach throwing the game, and every bounce going their way. This was his last ring. Wade has nothing left and Bosh is terrible, he's a role player at best. That team is done and so are Lebron's chances at another ring unless he takes his talents to another team with an all-star roster.

This Finals run was an example of EVERYTHING working in their favor:

Round 1: The Bucks are awful and were the worst team in the NBA playoffs. Even more so than a depleted Lakers team.

Round 2: No Rose. No Deng. No Hinrich. Whole team was killed by injures/illness.

Round 3: No Danny Granger. His scoring would have helped them tremendously considering most of Indiana's players can't score for shit. He would have been great for floor spacing.

Round 4: Battier magically regains his shooting touch. Tony Parker injures his hamstring. Wade's steroid supply gives him two or three good games. Mike Miller tapes his body together tightly enough to allow him to shoot a shoelesss three pointer. Ray Allen saves the entire team, Lebron included.

The Heat have major problems because Bosh has shown that he disappears. Wade can barely walk. Battier may retire. Anderson is mentally unstable. Mike Miller is getting overpaid to come in and hit a shot or two a game.

But the only guys close to him right now (since I doubt Anthony Davis or Kyrie Irving will ascend to that level by next year) are Durant and CP3. The media doesn't seem to think that Durant is close to LeBron and they'll never give MVP to a guy who averages less than 20 PPG today. Melo and Rose have the market and playstyle to win undeserving MVPs, but I don't think that will be under consideration after Melo's terrible postseason and Rose's sitting out of the year. I don't think voter fatigue will happen here but maybe I'll be wrong. Maybe if Harden takes another step up, the media could latch onto him I guess...

But the only guys close to him right now (since I doubt Anthony Davis or Kyrie Irving will ascend to that level by next year) are Durant and CP3. The media doesn't seem to think that Durant is close to LeBron and they'll never give MVP to a guy who averages less than 20 PPG today. Melo and Rose have the market and playstyle to win undeserving MVPs, but I don't think that will be under consideration after Melo's terrible postseason and Rose's sitting out of the year. I don't think voter fatigue will happen here but maybe I'll be wrong. Maybe if Harden takes another step up, the media could latch onto him I guess...

D Rose having a great comeback season next year to lead the Bulls to a 2 or 3 seed would probably get it to him unless LeBron actually improves his next numbers. Melo has no shot.

KD's biggest issue with winning an MVP is that depending on the night he's not OKC's best player. Westbrook is sometimes better than he is and that kills Durant's chances. Bosh and Wade rarely, and I mean very rarely, put up better games than Lebron. Lebron is head and shoulders better than both.

12-23 FG | 8-8 FT | 12 REB | 4 AST | 37 PTS

Reading comprehension. Wade had to get the team rolling and Lebron aped off his success. A true legend should be the one getting his team going. This is basically what Bucher said in his post-game article, although he said it much more eloquently than me:

But I can't forget that he still was peculiarly passive at times in this series. Even in Game 7, who set the tone? I'd argue it was Dwyane Wade, who shared the load of seeking out every mismatch and gap and aggressively exploiting it at key moments in the game. Wade, physically broken, sent a clear message with his multiple offensive rebounds on that one early possession. Wade tailored his offense to the player guarding him but never did he defer unless the situation called for it. (I had to laugh at the stats on how the Heat scored with Wade off the floor, ignoring who the Spurs had out there at the same time.) The harsh truth? LeBron *still* floated through parts of the game tonight and let the Spurs off the hook by dribbling out the shot clock or taking a stand-still jumper.

Anyway, time to...

Russell.gif

Lol playoff win shares. Jesus dude, use numbers and records that actually matter. They don't give trophies for highest playoff win shares.

What's your opinion on defensive first teams.

I'm gonna be so happy when the era of statistical idiocy in the NBA is over.

Rose already won an undeserving MVP, so everything you said really gets thrown out. I think Durant has a great shot at an MVP next year. CP3 may as well. And Dwight may be a darkhorse depending on certain things. I don't think Rose will win for the same reason.

Maybe it doesn't happen next season, maybe the year after. Who knows. All I know is the MVP award isn't always deserved, so anything is possible.

I'm happy for you Heat fans. I agree completely with Magic. The unnecessary criticism of LeBron should end after tonight (it won't). It's going to be hard as hell to 3 peat though.

Oh I see you're just as much of a joke character off the gaming side as well.

Only thing worse than LLL'ers are driveby'ers.

Man who cares about why Kevin Garnett got traded; that has nothing to do with Dirk being the better offensive player.

LOL, Dirk redefined the power forward position. I don't know what your link was supposed to prove besides the fact that Dirk played pretty well in matchups against KG.

A soft big who can't rebound or defend certainly does redefine what one looks for in a great PF, if thats what you mean.

And KG redefined big men way before dirk did.

Rose already won an undeserving MVP, so everything you said really gets thrown out. I think Durant has a great shot at an MVP next year. CP3 may as well. And Dwight may be a darkhorse depending on certain things. I don't think Rose will win for the same reason.

Maybe it doesn't happen next season, maybe the year after. Who knows. All I know is the MVP award isn't always deserved, so anything is possible.

People say that about Durant every year, but until Durant learns how to defend that isn't going to happen. He puts up gawdy offensive numbers, but he's mediocre at everything else. Lebron is simply at least good at everything.

Fjordson

Curry has it on lock. Remember, Golden State was the only team in the west to give San Antonio some meaningful competition. Steph comin' for da whole league!

The Heat have major problems because Bosh has shown that he disappears. Wade can barely walk. Battier may retire. Anderson is mentally unstable. Mike Miller is getting overpaid to come in and hit a shot or two a game.

Dude. Bosh saved their season at least twice in two games. Plus he was like a little shit who wouldn't flush tonight. No Bosh, no ring.

Curry has it on lock. Remember, Golden State was the only team in the west to give San Antonio some meaningful competition. Steph comin' for da whole league!

Steph couldn't even get enough cred to make the all-star team. Only after a ridiculous post-season is he getting any love. Little dudes get no respect.

Yes, Rose won it. Not Durant. Every year people say that Durant is going to win MVP and every year he doesn't. The fact that Rose won an MVP over both Durant and Lebron should tell you everything.

that after 2 MVP awards in a row for Bron, they'll look for someone worse?

So that could be Durant.

And it was ONLY this season that people said Durant might win it. And it might have happened if Miami didn't win 27 in a row.

A soft big who can't rebound or defend certainly does redefine what one looks for in a great PF, if thats what you mean.

And KG redefined big men way before dirk did.

Not only has Dirk been to the playoffs more than KG, but he's put up over 25 points and 10 rebounds per game in the playoffs. So people saying that he can't rebound are clueless. You can look up the stats if you don't believe me. Also, as it's been stated a dozen times, Dirk's defense has improved majorly since Carlisle became the coach. Don Nelson coaching a team will ruin anyone defensively.

Nah dude earned my respect. I just have to make sure the hyperbole IMWTB is prone to with Bron doesn't get out of hand.

I agree that imwtb has his hyperbole sometimes but its kind of hard to be hyperbolic when you stick to cold hard numbers. Tangibility, objectivity really contrasts embellishment.

that after 2 MVP awards in a row for Bron, they'll look for someone worse?

So that could be Durant.

And it was ONLY this season that people said Durant might win it. And it might have happened if Miami didn't win 27 in a row.

Lebron would have won it with or without that win streak because he put together than ridiculous string of games where he was shooting over 60% and scoring in the high 20s/lower 30s.

I was being sarcastic...no need to rub it in =[

I do pray Steph has another good season, though.

He's the most exciting player in the league, most fun to watch, and my second fav player overall. Just such an incredible talent and a humble dude. Not littered with tats, doesn't pay Jenna Shea 20k for a lay, just a really likable player.

You should be thanking the refs for not calling two blatant fouls at the end of overtime instead.

As if those were the only blatant blown calls. He should be thanking Manu for choking away the game in 6 and 7 when the Spurs were definitely the overall better team for most of the series

Anyway why exactly was TP out the last chance the Spurs had?

Vahagn

What's your opinion on defensive first teams.

I'm gonna be so happy when the era of statistical idiocy in the NBA is over.

You're accepting an arbitrary formula with arbitrary weight attached to different box score statistics as some sort of enlightened era?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html

A box score, Larry o Brian trophies, scoring titles etc are things that are achieved. Hard data written down.

Win shares are some guys interpretation of that data through his own rationalizations and opinions on the value of this or that thing. Accepting this doesn't make you more enlightened, it makes you an NBA hipster essentially - accepting something simply because it's obscure, because it's underground, because it's out of the mainstream.

It's the same thing with PER. As time went on people started to poke holes in Hollinger's methodology and it's no longer heavily used. But there were a bunch of blind sheep 4-5 years ago arguing PER in every "objective" player comparison.

I'm just using win shares because it's easy stat to show how much production LeBron has had in the playoffs already in his career. If you want just box-score stuff, he already has the eighth most points scored in the playoffs ever. He's also 14th in playoff assists and will be 6th next year with another Finals run.

As if those were the only blatant blown calls. He should be thanking Manu for choking away the game in 6 and 7.

Anyway why exactly was TP out the last chance the Spurs had?

They needed threes and he's an average three point shooter at best.

Top Bottom