• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even the semis m8

Tika taka died this year. Spain is dead.

Doubt they will win though, they look quite bad. RIP tiki taka.

Nah. Spain will flop harder than Neymar.

Should be a blast watching Spain and Chile (choke) all with an open bar.

Mark my words, Spain will not make it out of the group. Hup Holland!

Quoting for posterity.

Spain%20flag-XXL-anim.gif

gutshot

Nate Silver and friends predict the World Cup.

Article: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/its-brazils-world-cup-to-lose/
Interactive: http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/world-cup/

Some notes:
-Brazil is given the highest percentage chance of winning the Cup at a whopping 45%. Argentina (13%), Germany (11%) and Spain (8%) are the next three.
-The Netherlands is given only a 43% of making it out of their group while Chile has a 70% chance.
-Portugal, with Germany, is the favorite to advance out of the Group of Death. But not by as much as people might think. Portugal has a 45% chance at advancing while the US has a reasonable 36% chance.
-Australia are the least likely to advance out of their group, with only a 7% chance. Oi.

Nate Silver and friends predict the World Cup.

Article: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/its-brazils-world-cup-to-lose/
Interactive: http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/world-cup/

Some notes:
-Brazil is given the highest percentage chance of winning the Cup at a whopping 45%. Argentina (13%), Germany (11%) and Spain (8%) are the next three.
-The Netherlands is given only a 43% of making it out of their group while Chile has a 70% chance.
-Portugal, with Germany, is the favorite to advance out of the Group of Death. But not by as much as people might think. Portugal has a 45% chance at advancing while the US has a reasonable 36% chance.
-Australia are the least likely to advance out of their group, with only a 7% chance. Oi.
Lol this is crap.

Fularu

Banned
I honestly don't understand why Switzerland and Belgium are ranked so high. Especially Switzerland.

They had a super easy qualification group.

bjaelke

Sporting Intelligence have made an "objective" prediction based on different metrics.
So who will win the World Cup?
Nobody knows, which is the beauty of it. But if you made a composite metric of all the above, then it’s Brazil to beat Argentina in the final, with Spain and Germany reaching the semi-finals, and Uruguay, France, England and Belgium making the quarters.
Sporting Intelligence: And the World Cup winners will be … Brazil. Or Argentina. Or Spain. Or Germany

---

You can do the same now by going to this thread: 2014 World Cup - Predictions and Fantasy Football

defel

I love all this predictive analytics stuff. I might actually give it a go and try to replicate FiveThiryEight's model over the next few weeks. Football data isn't as deep and freely available as I would like though.

As ever take all of it with a massive pinch of salt.

footy is about matchups and shenanigans

Portugal has had the upper hand on Netherlands for years but struggles against Germany.

Sometimes you get upsets like France's fratricide and Italy's early bow out in 2010.

Then you get the bullshit: like England's scoring against Germany crossing the line then bouncing back out but the ref never saw it, England loses the game.

or when David Villa was Off-Side then scored against Portugal, eh linesman took a nap or god paid off.

shit happens

Sporting Intelligence have made an "objective" prediction based on different metrics.

Sporting Intelligence: And the World Cup winners will be … Brazil. Or Argentina. Or Spain. Or Germany

---

You can do the same now by going to this thread: 2014 World Cup - Predictions and Fantasy Football

Good lord do people have low expectations for the Italians. I mean it's not like i'm expecting them to go all the way or anything but the last 8 should be realistic.

That said, FORZA AZZURRI!!!

Portugeezer

the ENGLISH of all people licking the GERMANS anus? Oh my dear EuropeOG, you're sadly mistaken..

Ghost_Goal_World_Cup_1966.jpg

Ghost_Goal_World_Cup_2010.jpg

You will see how they act like Germany is some godly unstoppable team because England has bad history against them. But in reality they are just efficient, nothing more.

the CG Nike add sucks ass. The art direction is bad, character proportions are off, their animations don't caricature the player correctly. It's modern CG poo

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

wtf? They really think that is the Group of Death?

Just read the ESPN piece on Argentina's win in 1978. I don't know enough about FIFA to form an opinion, but was their any pressure to host the games someplace else?

The horror....the horror.

Feel a bit sorry for USA-GAF's hopes and dreams being crushed when all three teams in the group beat them. :(

That is very likely, but it's just as likely that we lose to Germany, tie Portugal, beat Ghana, and move on.

I feel that Germany is the only lock in the group. I can see any of the other three teams moving on. Ghana is no joke. If Fake Ronaldo is healthy, Portugal is no joke. The USA lacks the star power of Portugal, but the team is no joke.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i really hope the ball is alot better than last time,

FootballFan

UK-gaf always hating on USA.

I hope USA come first in the group. With number 1 soccer player in the world Clint Dempsey scoring 5 goals in the group stage.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Group D. G doesn't even have a south american team. Germany will easily top the group followed by Portugal.

Really? That's what you base it on? Whether or not there's a South American team? When Portugal gets knocked out I'll bump this post and laugh.

Group B and G are both groups of death. Group B has the two finalists of the last WC, and Group G has 2 teams in the top 5 FIFA rankings, plus the USA and Ghana who made the round of 16 and quarter finals in the last WC respectively. All 4 teams in Group G made the round of 16 or better in the last WC. Any other group that strong?

trixx

Just seen a documentary about Colombia football team on TSN(ESPN?), wow.

Good luck to the Colombian team/supporters and welcome back to world cup

Really? That's what you base it on? Whether or not there's a South American team? When Portugal gets knocked out I'll bump this post and laugh.
Only Germany can beat Portugal decisively without shenanigans

People like to pile onto Portugal blablabla. Most of Portugal's tournament losses as of late were stupid losses like penalties (2012), an offside goal in front of a blind linesman (2010) and shit like that.

Germany is the only team that legitimately beat Portugal without shenanigans.

USA can't beat this current Portugal squad.

Derp1na

Banned
Group D > Group G > Group B in terms of group of deathness.

The Netherlands' squad isn't what it was. I'd bet most football fans hadn't even heard of most of their players. Who the fuck is Jordy Clasie for example?

They're just lucky they have a tactical genius in LvG and a world class striker in RvP. Oh and Robben.

UK-gaf always hating on USA.

To be fair, England hasn't factored into the World Cup for 48 years. I doubt any Gaffers were even alive when their team mattered. Fueled by an excellent domestic league, made up of foreign stars, a large portion of the fanbase is delusional in their expectations for the national squad.

There's an entire chapter in the book, Soccernomics, that makes a very convincing case that England actually overachieves just by making it out of the first round. Sounds about right and it's in keeping with historical trends.

The USA knows exactly where it stands on the football front. We'll sometimes surprise a few top teams, but we're a second-tier squad.

Never forget.

Spain are a poor side.

I hope other head coaches finally expose them. What you need to do is stretch them out across the field. A soccer field is huge, it always surprises me that more of it isn't used. The Spaniards are clever I guess they stay close and slowly progress up the field, killing the clock as well which is to their benefit.

Don't get me wrong they have some good players but if you force them into long plays they will crumble.

1/4 exit imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom