• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's a good thing actually

Pirlo + Verratti + Marchisio + Thiago Motta is the perfect mixture.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_pirlocoolpen.gif

No De Rossi? Or DR next to the Juve Duo in defence?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe the World Cup is really almost here. Hyped as always. And super excited that the games are at reasonable times thanks to being in the Western Hemisphere for a change!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
No De Rossi? Or DR next to the Juve Duo in defence?
Oh and DDR obviously! I mean, I'm okay with any combination of those five. Aquilani and Montolivo are really good players, but for some reason they aren't consistent/as useful with Italy.

DDR is nailed on, whether it's in mid or defense.

torres_chelsea_disgust.jpg

torres deserves honorable mention beneath spain's entry

torres won the golden boot at euro 2012, after all
and he will win it again this summer

torres_chelsea_disgust.jpg

Ingeniero

Great OP, congrats.

I don't have a favourite but I hope Brazil, Spain, Germany and England get far.
And Messi and Argentina flop badly.

Oh and DDR obviously! I mean, I'm okay with any combination of those five. Aquilani and Montolivo are really good players, but for some reason they aren't consistent/as useful with Italy.

DDR is nailed on, whether it's in mid or defense.

I really hope we don't end up drowning in our own midfield.

Derp1na

Banned
I put him in my top 3 of all time and I'm underrating him?

Right

Just thought you were mentioning the 3 most revered footballers. Apologies.

Still, I don't see how you can say he was overrated, short of watching dozens of his games in full.

Jaffaboy

Looking forward to seeing England go out on penalties after scraping through the group stage. I'm in a sweepstake with some friends and I've drawn the Netherlands, not bad.

fuenf

The underrating of Pele by modern football fans is hilarious.

why? All that Pele / Maradonna talk is some U.S sports level bullshit. The game has changed, it's far more athletic, realistically most of the 60s/70s/80s stars would be lucky to see second division football these days.

You could make an argument, that given today's training methods the old greats would also improve but that's a different story. Clearly they were the best of their respective eras but ask yourself, who would be more likely to succeed, Cristiano Ronaldo playing in 60s/70s/80s and or some old great playing today?

Ronaldo > Zidane > Messi.

why? All that Pele / Maradonna talk is some U.S sports level bullshit. The game has changed, it's far more athletic, realistically most of the 60s/70s/80s stars would be lucky to see second division football these days.

You could make an argument, that given today's training methods the old greats would also improve but that's a different story. Clearly they were the best of their respective eras but ask yourself, who would be more likely to succeed, Cristiano Ronaldo playing in 60s/70s/80s and or some old great playing today?

But then again, Ronaldo playing in those decades would have been forced to retire after one season.

There are also so many little rule changes now that would not allow Messi and Ronaldo to play at the same pace they do now.

Fularu

Banned
Just thought you were mentioning the 3 most revered footballers. Apologies.

Still, I don't see how you can say he was overrated, short of watching dozens of his games in full.

Because he was mostly a finisher. Unlike Maradona or Zidane who almost always created the game, especially Maradona.

Don't get me wrong, Pele was amazing, but in today's game I'm not sure he would shine as much.

Wilbur

Banned
you are right, he is not even fit to clean Totti's boots

Totti is one of my five favourite players ever, but he doesn't have the stats or trophies (both collectively and individually) to claim he's better than Messi. Calma calma.

Wish Totti was going to the World Cup though. Fuck Balotelli.

This book really puts it all in perspective brilliantly. That being said, it's disingenuous to compare different eras. In a way, you have to apply 'inflation' to compare correctly. Nutrition, training, the entire sport shifts in time. Pele, Maradonna would benefit from the alterations much like Messi and C. Ronaldo have. You can only compare to their peers....

Totti is one of my five favourite players ever, but he doesn't have the stats or trophies (both collectively and individually) to claim he's better than Messi. Calma calma.

Wish Totti was going to the World Cup though. Fuck Balotelli.

Stats and trophies are bull. Totti has only played on one great Roma team and when he did he won the league. Single handily destroyed France in the Euro 00 final
Fuck Wiltord and Trez
and helped win the WC whilst only having one leg. Totti had to spend his youth playing against some of the greatest defenders of all time, while Messi gets to torture Ramos.

This World Cup will be interesting for Messi. Time for him to lift Argentina to another level, like Maradona use to.

i have two teams in this cup, japan and england, and i have no idea which will do better. both have potential but could also quite easily crash out of their groups.

looking forward to the whole thing anyway, despite having to deal with pretty much the worst possible timezone gap.

no European team ever won a WC in the Americas. Portugal's got this. After Brazil gets eliminated, Brazilians will shift support towards Portugal.

Derp1na

Banned
Well it's not as if 98% of the people talking about him these days, has even seen him playing properly other than a few youtube highlights.

Indeed, that's why I don't understand why there's this movement to say that he wasn't on the level of some other players when his peers regarded him as the goat.

I've only seen him in highlights but he looks stupendously good in them and he has the record to back it up.

Ronaldo would probably break his toes in his first game as he takes a knuckleball freekick. You only need to watch a few Pele youtubes to realise that his quickness and technique would allow him to thrive in the modern game. Like Messi, he had a low centre of gravity and he was very hard to knock off the ball. Messi obviously went one step further with Human Growth Hormone abuse. There are plenty of footballers who aren't athletic/are poor trainers playing in the top leagues in the world. Scholes dominated the Premier League while being a lightweight, shortarse with asthma (and eye problems).

As for Maradona, he played in the highest quality league there's ever been.

Because he was mostly a finisher. Unlike Maradona or Zidane who almost always created the game, especially Maradona.

Don't get me wrong, Pele was amazing, but in today's game I'm not sure he would shine as much.

He was a great finisher, but he was a stupendously good footballer. This video is mostly of his skills and passes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953rOfQ8Y0w

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm holding out all my hope for England to pull something out but I'm ready to be let down. My money's probably on Spain again this time.

Having said that I wouldn't mind Brazil going all the way though I don't necessarily think they will, because I have a confed cup ball signed by them from last year that I'm hoping will be worth something if they win...

fuenf

Ronaldo would probably break his toes in his first game as he takes a knuckleball freekick. You only need to watch a few Pele youtubes to realise that his quickness and technique would allow him to thrive in the modern game. Like Messi, he had a low centre of gravity and he was very hard to knock off the ball. Messi obviously went one step further with Human Growth Hormone abuse. There are plenty of footballers who aren't athletic/are poor trainers playing in the top leagues in the world. Scholes dominated the Premier League while being a lightweight, shortarse with asthma.

As for Maradona, he played in the highest quality league there's ever been.

He was a great finisher, but he was a stupendously good footballer. This video is mostly of his skills and passes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953rOfQ8Y0w

This is still one of my favorite football videos ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IyXxoyyFr8

I know it's cool to make fun of CR7 nowadays, but it's too easy forget how good of a player he really is. He's far more than the goal scoring machine Madrid has made him (not that its a bad thing). Of course there are players who arent that athletic or at the peak of the game anymore but are still great. Pirlo for example immediately springs to my mind, but especially in the Champions League their lack of fitness gets exposed a lot (see Juve - Bayern in 2013) or Giggs vs Bayern this year.

The top flight of football (Bayern, Real, Dortmund) play a game that simply doesnt compare to the football of the old days. And no, today's football isnt soft, just look at the way Mourinho's teams / Chelsea in general / Stoke etc. play.

BpseEbeIMAAErjh.jpg

How can you even focus on training with a view like that?! That's why England is going home early. lol
amazing view!

meanwhile Portugal has a view of the New Jersey Turnpike this week :p

Ronaldo's little feet would break if he kicked the old footballs on a regular basis ;P
soldiering on in the Champions League Final with tendonitis.. Ronaldo is a trooper and cares about winning. He has played hurt during most of the CL and the end La Liga season

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
WORLD CUP!!! Woooo!!

I'll do what I do every 4 years: Root for the USA until we lose (probably first round I'm sure), then cheer for England and Germany.

Derp1na

Banned
This is still one of my favorite football videos ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IyXxoyyFr8

I know it's cool to make fun of CR7 nowadays, but it's too easy forget how good of a player he really is. He's far more than the goal scoring machine Madrid has made him (not that its a bad thing). Of course there are players who arent that athletic or at the peak of the game anymore but are still great. Pirlo for example immediately springs to my mind, but especially in the Champions League their lack of fitness gets exposed a lot (see Juve - Bayern in 2013) or Giggs vs Bayern this year.

The top flight of football (Bayern, Real, Dortmund) play a game that simply doesnt compare to the football of the old days. And no, today's football isnt soft, just look at the way Mourinho's teams / Chelsea in general / Stoke etc. play.

I'm the biggest fan of Ronaldo as a footballer there is (support United so watched literally every club game he played for 6 years), and obviously he'd be more likely to dominate in the 60/70s/80s than the other way around, but Pele is just one of those players that would dominate in any era. I wouldn't say today's football is soft, but Stoke and Chelsea hardly compare to Estudiantes or many of the other South American teams of that era. Teams refused to play in the Intercontinental Cup final because they were playing against Estudiantes.

I'd definitely rather have Pele leading the line than any of the players that do for the teams you mentioned (Lewa/Benzema/Immobile).

Edit: It was Independiente that teams declined to play, but Estudiantes are just as notorious. Read all about European teams refusing to play South American teams here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercontinental_Cup_(football)#Degradation

skybaby

England's Ross Barkley left behind in hotel, bus blocks morning rush hour traffic for 15 minutes waiting for him
2014-721747157-2014060957025.jpg_20140609.jpg

Portugeezer

My God.

I just realised watching Portugal vs Germany on ITV HD will be a fucking nightmare... all the English, and especially ITV, do is lick the Germany football team's anus hole very deeply, extreeeeeeme deepness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom