• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sterling should be one to watch and not Rooney.

Rooney will be interesting to watch because it just feels like the entire nation is coming around to the sentiment that the tam could well be better without having him in it, so he has to perform.

And I'm not sure Sterling will even play much. He should obviously, but Roy Hodgson.

fuenf

I'm the biggest fan of Ronaldo as a footballer there is (support United so watched literally every club game he played for 6 years), and obviously he'd be more likely to dominate in the 60/70s/80s than the other way around, but Pele is just one of those players that would dominate in any era. I wouldn't say today's football is soft, but Stoke and Chelsea hardly compare to Estudiantes or many of the other South American teams of that era. Teams refused to play in the Intercontinental Cup final because they were playing against Estudiantes.

I'd definitely rather have Pele leading the line than any of the players that do for the teams you mentioned (Lewa/Benzema/Immobile).

Like I said before, I understand your point, I just don't like these cross era comparisons. I havent seen enough of Pele to fairly judge him, but I'll agree that he looks like a player who first and foremost lives for football and therefore most likely would've done anything to succeed, no matter the circumstances.

Nevertheless I just hate these best of alltime discussions. ;) And it gets even worse when it comes to the goalkeeper position.... ;). In terms of being a complete player I'd rate todays top players ahead of the oldtimers, in terms of technical ability it would already be a lot closer and once you think about their influence on the game of football the old time greats easily rank ahead.

LaNaranja

Bebe%CC%81-rezando.jpg

Please baby Jesus, let Mexico get out of the group stage so I can be happy!!

Ay, ay, ay, ay,
Canta y no llores,
Porque cantando se alegran,
cielito lindo, los corazones.

jordisok

Got Belgium in my work sweepstakes which sucks, not because they're not good, they just don't interest me as much as other teams.

So is everyone completely writing off Croatia in the opener? I genuinely feel they've a decent enough squad to give Brazil a good run for their money any day. Obviously Mandzukic being out is a blow, but with no pressure on them they could spring a surprise.

Modric > Oscar

My God.

I just realised watching Portugal vs Germany on ITV HD will be a fucking nightmare... all the English, and especially ITV, do is lick the Germany football team's anus hole very deeply, extreeeeeeme deepness.

Portugal are a constant disappointment. Germany is the much safer bet.

Creo que si Mexico juega como se le jugo a Portugal podemos pasar a la siguiente ronda!! Pero tenemos que meter goles.
Honestamente preferiría que esos changos se regresarán a casa desde la primera ronda. No es posible que no se haya hecho nada para evitar el desastre de Chepo y anden andando un equipo parchado.

Number45

no one needs resort to that.
You're right. I don't hate England, I just made a decision to stop supporting them a couple of years ago. Who knows, maybe they'll have a clear out and I can get behind them again.

I've always had a soft spot for Italy, for no obvious reason that I can think of.

My mother just text me to know if Argentina were any good, she's after drawing them in her work sweepstakes! It going to pay out to the semi's so reckon she's in the money!

Di Maria outside shot for player of the tournament?

v1lla21

Honestamente preferiría que esos changos se regresarán a casa desde la primera ronda. No es posible que no se haya hecho nada para evitar el desastre de Chepo y anden andando un equipo parchado.
Eso gracias a femexfut por quererce quedar con el Chepo despues de las derrotas. Ya que estamos en LA copa no queda mas que dar apoyo al equipo.

Ryck

So is everyone completely writing off Croatia in the opener? I genuinely feel they've a decent enough squad to give Brazil a good run for their money any day. Obviously Mandzukic being out is a blow, but with no pressure on them they could spring a surprise.

Modric > Oscar
I could see a shock "upset". With Croatia taking a point (or three).

Salvadora

My mother just text me to know if Argentina were any good, she's after drawing them in her work sweepstakes! It going to pay out to the semi's so reckon she's in the money!

Di Maria outside shot for player of the tournament?
He's really, really good.

Probably won't grab the headlines though.

Derp1na

Banned
Like I said before, I understand your point, I just don't like these cross era comparisons. I havent seen enough of Pele to fairly judge him, but I'll agree that he looks like a player who first and foremost lives for football and therefore most likely would've done anything to succeed, no matter the circumstances.

Nevertheless I just hate these best of alltime discussions. ;) And it gets even worse when it comes to the goalkeeper position.... ;). In terms of being a complete player I'd rate todays top players ahead of the oldtimers, in terms of technical ability it would already be a lot closer and once you think about their influence on the game of football the old time greats easily rank ahead.

I agree they're fairly pointless comparisons. I'm just a passionate defender of Pele since he was my hero as a kid (in the 90s).

Portugeezer

The game is a lot more tactical now and defenders are so much better than they used to be, but they also can't foul so much so it's a tough balance. But IMO Ronaldo and Messi and the 2 GOAT's, they just haven't won a world cup so no one cares.

People jizz about that goal Pele missed (when he dummies the ball in front of the keeper to run around him), but to me I feel like we see a lot of intelligent players like that these days.

I will be sure to catch at least one game per day and watch 2 per week-end day but I won't be following the whole tournament

I will watch all of Group G's matches for obvious interest reasons.

I will be following Uruguay to check of Forlán beautiful set pieces and on Suárez shenanigans. They entertain, I like. I hope they whoop both Italy and England.

Teams that I will watch with interest through out Group and KO phase:
Group G, Uruguay, Brazil, Spain, Chile.

Teams that I will watch during K-O phase:
Germany, Argentina, England-or-Italy

Go Portugal!

Meier

Just finished my team. The scoring rules are pretty interesting.. may make some adjustments now seeing them. A guy like Vidal would be excellent. You also get UNLIMITED transfers in all rounds after the group stage. I had been focusing on players who I thought would go through to give me more freedom in the transfer market but it looks like that's unnecessary. No reason to develop much depth if you don't have to carry anyone over to the next round.

Also, word of warning.. this is going to be a bit of a long process to make your team if you don't auto-pick. The budgetary struggle is very real.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Nice OT!

I don't agree much with the Uruguay summary, also it seems a couple of peeps wrote Columbia :lol

Also, Uruguay will win again in Brazilian soil, then they'll proceed to nuke us from orbit or something.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
My God.

I just realised watching Portugal vs Germany on ITV HD will be a fucking nightmare... all the English, and especially ITV, do is lick the Germany football team's anus hole very deeply, extreeeeeeme deepness.

the ENGLISH of all people licking the GERMANS anus? Oh my dear EuropeOG, you're sadly mistaken..

Ghost_Goal_World_Cup_1966.jpg

Ghost_Goal_World_Cup_2010.jpg

the ENGLISH of all people licking the GERMANS anus? Oh my dear EuropeOG, you're sadly mistaken..

Ghost_Goal_World_Cup_1966.jpg

Ghost_Goal_World_Cup_2010.jpg

Our media do tend to say the exact same things about Germany every tournament until this one.

'You look at their players and you think they'd be lucky to reach the quarters, but they're so efficient and surprisingly decent.'

Now there seems to be a bit of appreciation for the fact that they actually have good players.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It'd be terrible because it wouldn't be objective.

awww <3

not that 'do one'.

Our media do tend to say the exact same things about Germany every tournament until this one.

'You look at their players and you think they'd be lucky to reach the quarters, but they're so efficient and surprisingly decent.'

Now there seems to be a bit of appreciation for the fact that they actually have good players.
I guess this is what happens when your media is Alan Shearer.

I guess this is what happens when your media is Alan Shearer.

Thomas Muller, he's big, he's strong, got a bit of pace about him, good header, he's a real threat

Klose, he's big, he's strong, not quick but the first 5 yards are in his head, and he's not bad with that either.

cremino

Messi is easily the GOAT... Ronado is behind him but he still a fantastic player and he might last longer at a high level

Go Italy btw..Hopefully we will not crash already at the group stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom