• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Really? That's what you base it on? Whether or not there's a South American team? When Portugal gets knocked out I'll bump this post and laugh.

Considering the World Cup is in Brazil, yes. Have you heard of high-altitude football? Don't fuck with South Americans. They will be motivated to perform in their neighbouring soil.

Meier

Feel a bit sorry for USA-GAF's hopes and dreams being crushed when all three teams in the group beat them. :(

I don't see any reason why we won't beat Ghana this time around. A draw at worst IMO. They certainly have talent and speed in midfield and attack, but their defense is lacking and they don't have a particularly good keeper in their squad.

Could see us winning 3-1.

Spain are a poor side.

I hope other head coaches finally expose them. What you need to do is stretch them out across the field. A soccer field is huge, it always surprises me that more of it isn't used. The Spaniards are clever I guess they stay close and slowly progress up the field, killing the clock as well which is to their benefit.

Don't get me wrong they have some good players but if you force them into long plays they will crumble.

1/4 exit imo.

happy now?

:p

Arnie

Spain are a poor side.

I hope other head coaches finally expose them. What you need to do is stretch them out across the field. A soccer field is huge, it always surprises me that more of it isn't used. The Spaniards are clever I guess they stay close and slowly progress up the field, killing the clock as well which is to their benefit.

Don't get me wrong they have some good players but if you force them into long plays they will crumble.

1/4 exit imo.

Telling you now mate they're winning it.

Clegg

Agreed re:Spain.

Tiki taka is the worst form of anti football imaginable and in recent times has had its deficiencies exposed in a ruthless manner.

Spain are a poor side.

1/4 exit imo.

The Confed Final showed that they are not invincible and their main stars are getting old but this fence is quite comfortable.

Spain are a poor side.

1/4 exit imo.

I disagree with this, but I agree with a lot of this. I reckon they'll get found out, they're not the invincible force that so many think they are. There are ways to expose them and I think more teams will have a better idea of how to do this then 4 years ago.

Out in the quarters for me too.

FeD.nL

Group D > Group G > Group B in terms of group of deathness.

The Netherlands' squad isn't what it was. I'd bet most football fans hadn't even heard of most of their players. Who the fuck is Jordy Clasie for example?

They're just lucky they have a tactical genius in LvG and a world class striker in RvP. Oh and Robben.

I agree that they are inexperienced but I really think we gained quality wise what we lost experience wise. Compared to 2010:

RvP: Much better form
Robben: Not injured and in need of some crazy voodoo doctor
Sneijder: Getting there but not his 2010 form
Nigel de Jong: Always solid
Clasie/de Guzman: Ok, they aren't Mark van Bommel but since we're playing with 5 defenders the attacking strength we gain with one those two suits the team better
Janmaat: Further in his development than van der Wiel when he went to the WC in 2010,
de Vrij/Martins Indi/Vlaar: All three of them aren't any less than Heitinga/Matthijsen
Blind: Ok, van Bronckhorst is obviously much better but I think Blind is decent enough and has played the past 3 seasons in the CL so he's got some experience.
Cillissen: 1st goalie at Ajax just as Stekelenburg was during WC 2010

How are Uruguay so highly rated? They have two world class players, one of which is just back from knee surgery and might not even play, a couple of good defenders and a bunch of crappy old players.

They have the whole playing in South America thing on their part but that's it. I say they're not going out of the group.

Top four imo: Argentina, Brazil, Spain and France. I also predict lots of tears in Rio.

Meier

Spain through to the Semis at worst, Finals likely. Have Brazil beating them there, but Argentina could knock off Spain to make it an all SA final.

I will say this though, they made an absolutely massive mistake in leaving Navas home. They were always at their most dangerous during the Confederation's Cup when he was on. He provided them with their best option to stretch the field. Think it was a poor decision to not bring along one of their target men types (Negredo, Soldado, Llorente) as well. Maybe they expect Diego Costa and his tenacity will be enough, but I'm not so sure.

I agree that they are inexperienced but I really think we gained quality wise what we lost experience wise. Compared to 2010:

Clasie/de Guzman: Ok, they aren't Mark van Bommel but since we're playing with 5 defenders the attacking strength we gain with one those two suits the team better
Janmaat: Further in his development than van der Wiel when he went to the WC in 2010,
de Vrij/Martins Indi/Vlaar: All three of them aren't any less than Heitinga/Matthijsen
Blind: Ok, van Bronckhorst is obviously much better but I think Blind is decent enough and has played the past 3 seasons in the CL so he's got some experience.

I have this sneaky feeling that chile and the Netherlands are going on, and Spain are going to be the ones going home first out of the three. Unlikely, but just this inkling in the spine of my neck.

Derp1na

Banned
Spain's possession football is going to be especially important in the Brazilian heat. They can let the ball do all the work, while their opponents are tiring themselves out chasing it around. They also have a good striker once again.

Torres over Negredo was a mistake.
torresdive.gif

he gets opposing players booked with shit like this, so yeah he has value

Derp1na

Banned

You know better than me. I'll be watching with a lot of interest since if LvG's history is anything to go by, he's going to be signing about 5 of them for United (my team).

deli2000

I don't see any reason why we won't beat Ghana this time around. A draw at worst IMO. They certainly have talent and speed in midfield and attack, but their defense is lacking and they don't have a particularly good keeper in their squad.

Could see us winning 3-1.

USA/Ghana will be close. But I just see Ghana edging it.

USA/Portugal will probably be closer than people think. But again I can't see a US victory.

USA/Germany is a given.

USA ain't a bad squad. They just got drawn with another not bad squad and 2 quite good squads.

Meier

Stop pretending you're in the group of death, USA.
AINT NO TIME FOR EXCUSES

Well, we certainly are. The Spain group is a good one, but not any better. Both groups have 3 top 15 teams but the Spain one has a team who is considerably worse as the 4th team while the other has a bogey team for one of the entrants.

This was discussed adnauseum during the last world cup.

His left foot clips the right one, the player following him slightly touched him, making the fall happen.

Did Torres embellish it? Yes.
Was that an intentional dive? No

Torres intentionally kicked one of his feet against the other to create the impression that he was tripped. The ref bought it.

There was zero contact from the player behind him.

It was obvious, it was intentional, and it was a dive.

Fularu

Banned
He tripped himself. Pretty obvious.

By all means, try to trip yourself voluntarily while running at that speed. The slightest contact can get you off balance.

Most dives are just that, dives. there's no tripping, there's no contact, just a good old dive (watch France - Portugal 2006 for a good number of them from both sides)

Torres intentionally kicked one of his feet against the other to create the impression that he was tripped. The ref bought it.

There was zero contact from the player behind him.

It was obvious, it was intentional, and it was a dive.
The red player's knee touches his right foot.

Again he embelishes it once he knows he's falling, but the fall itself was never intentional (and that comes from someone who absolutely despises Torres)

Overdoziz

Banned
Well, we certainly are. The Spain group is a good one, but not any better. Both groups have 3 top 15 teams but the Spain one has a team who is considerably worse as the 4th team while the other has a bogey team for one of the entrants.
Don't really think any of the groups in this WC is a group of death.

Torres is a Chelsea legend and would never die, or participate in cheating of any kind.

UK-gaf always hating on USA.

I hope USA come first in the group. With number 1 soccer player in the world Clint Dempsey scoring 5 goals in the group stage.

It must suck basically being a mini USA, with worse food and not as pretty girls. They don't even have a that much better national team anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom