• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

thibaut.jpg

loooool

cremino

where did you hear that????

Bonucci has to start next to Barzagli.

Although I would prefer Abate to play LB than Chiellini who should play in the middle.

All italian papers think that and most likely Chiellini will play as LB....England pace worries me now and Paletta is pretty slow

Lima

Oh man this is gonna be gud today.

Le Mans start coming right up and then it's 4 games of football back to back with some Le Mans racing in between matches until 5 in the morning.

We're favourites on paper but you never know! I mean if a mediocre Holland can humiliate Spain then ANYTHING can happen!
I really don't get it that people call The Netherlands mediocre. There are so much players in that team which were also present in the World Cup final of 2010.
Why do people say they are mediocre?

Oh yeah, keep the explanation simple, I'm not a football expert :p

I really enjoyed the second half of the match yesterday. In the first half, I was like "not this shit again" after that unjust penalty. I really thought Spain would win again after an arbitration error like it did in the final of 2010.
But the Dutch revenge (against a corrupt FIFA too?) is sweet although it doesn't give them the title yet which they so much deserve.

As it's already been said a thousand times, it was an astounding game. I think it's safe to say out of the millions and millions of pick'ems and WC brackets, I don't think there was a single person who predicted a 5-1 Holland victory.

That said, I'm surprised how everyone in this thread is dismissing tika taka because of today's result. Spain just played awful, played too casual, and they're getting old, that's why they lost. Casillas also pretty much gift wrapped two of the goals for Holland and has been terrible since the CL Final.

I get that hate for Spain is strong in here, but I think a lot of people here are reading the wrong things from their defeat today.

Sadist

I really don't get it that people call The Netherlands mediocre. There are so much players in that team which were also present in the World Cup final of 2010.
Why do people say they are mediocre?

Oh yeah, keep the explanation simple, I'm not a football expert :p

I really enjoyed the second half of the match yesterday. In the first half, I was like "not this shit again" after that unjust penalty. I really thought Spain would win again after an arbitration error like it did in the final of 2010.
But the Dutch revenge (against a corrupt FIFA too?) is sweet although it doesn't give them the title yet which they so much deserve.
Actually, only about five players who were there four years ago are in the squad now. De Jong, Sneijder, van Persie and Robben are still in the starting eleven. Kuyt is on the bench. Everyone else is entirely new. Maybe Vlaar as well, can't remember. The new Dutch squad consists of a few players from foreign competitions like De Guzman en Vorm from Swansea, Verhaegh (Augsburg), Fer (Norwich City), Krul (Newcastle) and Lens (Dinamo Kiev).

The reason why no one gave the squad a chance is because van Gaal invited a lot of Dutch erdivisie players. The Dutch League was fun this year, but qualitywise very poor. PSV had a very, very poor year but Depay and Wijnaldum got in. Ajax became the League champions but haven't played a great match since they played Barcelona B back in the first Round of the Champions League. Blind, Cilessen and Veltman got an invite. Lastly there is Feyenoord which had a terrible start of the season, but gradually turned into the only real competitor for Ajax. Still, we Feyenoord fans expected more from Martins Indi, De Vrij, Janmaat and Clasie. They all got in as well. Even Kongolo, a young twenty year old defender from Feyenoord gets to go to Brasil because he played a wonderful second half of the season. And he never played an European match!

Still, this is a wonderful reminder that Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV can deliver some great players. Eredivisie redeemed.

Mr Lakitu

Banned
It was real madrids fault last night

Alonso - old man, no way should be in starting line up... They need speed of Pedro in team

Cassilias - lol

Ramos - exposed

Morning GAF! 6:40am but man, I can't wait for today's game. Never too early to get hyped!

Apparently this Colombia's starting line-up for todays game:

Ospina

Zúñiga, Zapata, Yepes, Armero

Sánchez, Aguilar, Cuadrado

James Rodríguez,

Ibarbo Teófilo

Pretty solid IMO. I'd probably leave Aguilar out and put someone else in, but hey, its Pekerman's choice.

Also, while searching for the line-up this popped up in my twitter feed lol

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3puXp5R.jpg[/IMG]

<3 #Brazil2014

Sadist

As it's already been said a thousand times, it was an astounding game. I think it's safe to say out of the millions and millions of pick'ems and WC brackets, I don't think there was a single person who predicted a 5-1 Holland victory.

That said, I'm surprised how everyone in this thread is dismissing tika taka because of today's result. Spain just played awful, played too casual, and they're getting old, that's why they lost. Casillas also pretty much gift wrapped two of the goals for Holland and has been terrible since the CL Final.

I get that hate for Spain is strong in here, but I think a lot of people here are reading the wrong things from their defeat today.
It's a bit of the GAF crazy really.

Most of the Spain players had a really, really long season this year. Some guys like Ramos aren't fit anymore. It shows when Robben absolutely beasted him during the rush before the fifth goal. It helped Oranje because they are fitter.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Not expecting a lot from the first match.

Greece kept more clean sheets than any other European team in World Cup qualifying (eight).

Greece have failed to score in five of their six games at the World Cup, scoring only against Nigeria (2-1) in 2010 with goals by Dimitris Salpingidis and Vasilis Torosidis.

I still remember Greece's "performance" in Euro 2008.

You know a team is magic when they start passing between their centre-backs and perform other time-wasting tactics after 24 minutes of the first half.

I still remember Greece's "performance" in Euro 2008.

You know a team is magic when they start passing between their centre-backs and perform other time-wasting tactics after 24 minutes of the first half.
That's while they're tied, they're even worse when they're ahead. Greece plays the most disgusting football I've seen in a while, just no shame involved.

Actually, only about five players who were there four years ago are in the squad now. De Jong, Sneijder, van Persie and Robben are still in the starting eleven. Kuyt is on the bench. Everyone else is entirely new. Maybe Vlaar as well, can't remember. The new Dutch squad consists of a few players from foreign competitions like De Guzman en Vorm from Swansea, Verhaegh (Augsburg), Fer (Norwich City), Krul (Newcastle) and Lens (Dinamo Kiev).

The reason why no one gave the squad a chance is because van Gaal invited a lot of Dutch erdivisie players. The Dutch League was fun this year, but qualitywise very poor. PSV had a very, very poor year but Depay and Wijnaldum got in. Ajax became the League champions but haven't played a great match since they played Barcelona B back in the first Round of the Champions League. Blind, Cilessen and Veltman got an invite. Lastly there is Feyenoord which had a terrible start of the season, but gradually turned into the only real competitor for Ajax. Still, we Feyenoord fans expected more from Martins Indi, De Vrij, Janmaat and Clasie. They all got in as well. Even Kongolo, a young twenty year old defender from Feyenoord gets to go to Brasil because he played a wonderful second half of the season. And he never played an European match!

Still, this is a wonderful reminder that Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV can deliver some great players. Eredivisie redeemed.
I found those 5 players from 4 years ago still much as I thought 4 years ago they were old...
And after that karate kick in the final I was certainly not expecting de Jong. He was very intimidating again yesterday.

You explanation sounds a bit like most of the individual players are rated by the performance their teams had, while they all come together in a whole other team.

And from which league had van Gaal to invite those players other than the eredivisie? Aren't those supposed to be the best teams in The Netherlands?
Or do you mean Dutch players from leagues outside The Netherlands? Are those enough to fill a team, and are they really that much better than those in the Dutch leagues?
After all, all those Dutch players in foreign leagues learned to play soccer in The Netherlands. That might indicate why it's better to look in The Netherlands.
But that's just logic from someone who never sees any match outside international matches :)

Linius

I found those 5 players from 4 years ago still much as I thought 4 years ago they were old...
And after that karate kick in the final I was certainly not expecting de Jong. He was very intimidating again yesterday.

You explanation sounds a bit like most of the individual players are rated by the performance their teams had, while they all come together in a whole other team.

And from which league had van Gaal to invite those players other than the eredivisie? Aren't those supposed to be the best teams in The Netherlands?
Or do you mean Dutch players from leagues outside The Netherlands? Are those enough to fill a team, and are they really that much better than those in the Dutch leagues?
After all, all those Dutch players in foreign leagues learned to play soccer in The Netherlands. That might indicate why it's better to look in The Netherlands.
But that's just logic from someone who never sees any match outside international matches :)

The Dutch Eredivisie is falling behind on the big leagues (mainly Spain, England, Germany and Italy) more and more. Dutch clubs don't perform in international club tournaments and usually our best players play for the bigger clubs in foreign leagues. It's quite exceptional to see a team with mostly Feyenoord defenders and a keeper that played half the season in the Dutch reserves league hold up so well against the current champion.

Lach

God damnit! I was a little ill with a fever yesterday so I went to bed early (right after Alonso scored the penalty)...

keit4

Banned
Welp, if we want to get out of the group stage we have to win against Chile and rip apart Australia. Not a hard task in normal conditions, but the team's will is broken now.

Sadist

Nobody in Holland doubted van Persie and Robben. The latter seems to be in the prime of his carreer. Thanks Pep! You're right that we (Dutch experts lol) rated their performances on their respectieve teams, but a lot of the Dutch players (Excluding Robben) had a pretty rough year. Two years ago during Euro 2012 we had about the same team as WC 2010 and all the players back then had a shit year as well. We got trounced, humiliated. And those were the big stars! Because this new team is so young and inexperienced, a lot of us feared another slaying.

Again, the Dutch eredivisie as a league really diminshed the last couple of years. Young players peak to early and leave for bigger Leagues only to be benched. And players like Blind or Martins Indi for example made mistakes this year during the Dutch League which were painful to see. But you're right, somehow van Gaal made a real team out if it and everyone played brilliantly. I'm not a huge fan of Blind, but yesterday he played the best match of his career.

But it's just us Dutchies being a bunch back seat managers :p Van Gaal vindicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom