• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.
With their style of football and their squad, I think Spain are better equipped than most to recover from setbacks like this. More so than the defensive problems on display last night was the worrying drop in confidence and heart by the Spanish soon after the equaliser. Let's not forget that they were in largely in control of that first half and could have ended the game had they not tried to constantly walk the ball in the net.

After the goal, it was a different game. You could see the nerves in Spain and the confidence that was flaring from the Dutch; they didn't want HT.

Perhaps the Netherlands have exposed a growing sense of scepticism within the Spanish about their own ability? Or perhaps it was the shock of naively assuming they just needed to turn up to win?

What will help Spain's chances is that, for the first time in a while, there isn't really a stand out side who are favourites for this tournament. For however brilliant they were in the 2nd half, the Dutch are infamously inconsistent. Assuming both sides beat Australia, the question will come down to whichever of the two is more likely to beat Chile.

I can see Chile beating the Netherlands and I can see a desperate Spain humbling Chile. In that sense, I'm not taking a great deal from yesterday's result. The performance, however, is a worry. Still, were Spain to finish runners up in this group, I still think they'd be favourites to beat Brazil (assuming they win their own group).

Thoughts?

spekkeh

Banned
Yes Spain just cracked. It happens sometimes. On paper the Spanish side is still a lot better than the Dutch one. It wasn't exactly as if the Netherlands was controlling the game up till the 2-1. So if they can shrug it off and/or the Netherlands becomes overconfident, we can still see Spain advance and Holland getting knocked out.

Blablurn

tumblr_n74mq8SvHB1qfbvr3o1_500.jpg

Salazar

Netherlands should rip Australia apart and go into the Chile game breathing pretty comfortably.

Robben is just the most lethal player in that group.

Yes Spain just cracked. It happens sometimes. On paper the Spanish side is still a lot better than the Dutch one. It wasn't exactly as if the Netherlands was controlling the game up till the 2-1. So if they can shrug it off and/or the Netherlands becomes overconfident, we can still see Spain advance and Holland getting knocked out.

Spain had the all the possession in the world during that match but they couldn't do shit with it lol.

All that pussyfooting with the ball had finally bitten them in the ass in that particular match.

(You can tell I really dislike their extremely possessive playstyle lol. Rapidly Attacking/Aggressive teams like Germany ftw.)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Plan A) Win with your own ability and style
Plan B) Win by taking advantage of Hodgson's mentality

Simple

Sterling isn't going to play, Welbeck will be favoured. If this doesn't work and we look predictably laboured and incompetent in attack, everyone will be on Hodgson's back already, and he'll deserve it if he we fuck up due to him vuluntarily hamstringing our attack like this.

Do you disagree that Buffon is past his prime like Casillas?
Do you disagree Balotelli has not played good football for the past 12 months?
Do you disagree that Italy's offense depends on a good Pirlo day?
Do you disagree Italy might have trouble moving forward, let alone claim the title?

I'm sincerely confident that Italy is not a huge threat. Of course I could be wrong, but I see England in better shape.

We agree on plenty

Totti>Del Piero, Liverpool>Man Utd, Sturridge>Italy's attackers
you know what.

post-29055-Leonidas-shield-defense-300-gi-7ePT.gif

I'll let Italy do the talking

tumblr_n2dux4KKhn1sp4nfqo1_500.gif

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
With their style of football and their squad, I think Spain are better equipped than most to recover from setbacks like this. More so than the defensive problems on display last night was the worrying drop in confidence and heart by the Spanish soon after the equaliser. Let's not forget that they were in largely in control of that first half and could have ended the game had they not tried to constantly walk the ball in the net.

After the goal, it was a different game. You could see the nerves in Spain and the confidence that was flaring from the Dutch; they didn't want HT.

Perhaps the Netherlands have exposed a growing sense of scepticism within the Spanish about their own ability? Or perhaps it was the shock of naively assuming they just needed to turn up to win?

What will help Spain's chances is that, for the first time in a while, there isn't really a stand out side who are favourites for this tournament. For however brilliant they were in the 2nd half, the Dutch are infamously inconsistent. Assuming both sides beat Australia, the question will come down to whichever of the two is more likely to beat Chile.

I can see Chile beating the Netherlands and I can see a desperate Spain humbling Chile. In that sense, I'm not taking a great deal from yesterday's result. The performance, however, is a worry. Still, were Spain to finish runners up in this group, I still think they'd be favourites to beat Brazil (assuming they win their own group).

Thoughts?

Van Gaal.
That's what it was.

I get the feeling Spain will be persisting with many of these players when they're like 35 years old, and struggle to phase them out brutally enough

They should use their squad.

Substitutes
02 Albiol
04 Javi Martínez
05 Juanfran
07 Villa
09 Torres
10 Fábregas
11 Pedro
12 de Gea
13 Mata
17 Koke
20 Cazorla
23 Reina

Maybe use a false 9 too.

Busquets - Cazorla - Fabregas - Iniesta - Alonso - Mata

bjaelke

Squawka Football @Squawka
Number of goals after the first four games at the tournament:

World Cup 2010: 5

World Cup 2014: 15

#WorldCup

Rafy

I am in a really tough spot with the World Cup, I am half Italian, half Greek. Grew up in Greece living in Italy. I do not know who to support...
I just hope Greece does well today, any other Greeks here?

fuenf

Thoughts?

Those are some good points. I think Spain's biggest fault is hanging on to the aging Barcelona stars. No disrespect to Xavi and Iniesta, but they already got exposed last year vs Bayern and havent been able to beat a well coached, counter-attacking team like Atletico in ages. I'm not saying that Xavi and Iniesta cant play a viable role at this World Cup but considering all circumstances Spain cant afford to start both of them anymore. To complicate matters Busquets doesnt really function that well if his team isnt in total control.

Nonetheless I still believe that this game could end up helping them if they decide to inject some fresh blood into their squad (no pun intended). I mean look at their squad, with Martinez, Koke, Carzola and Fabregas (to some extent) they already have the solution for their troubles sitting on the bench. Especially Martinez would've changed the game yesterday. At Bayern he's shown time and time again that he's able to single handedly shore up a crappy defense.

Regarding the Dutch, with RVP and Robben in this form the sky is the limit for them. They are basically playing like Dortmund and I don't see any of the favorites being able to cope with that style. I'd favor them against Germany or Brazil if they make it that far, but like you said aggressive scrappy teams like Chile pose a real threat to them.

Arjen

Holy shit, what a night. I'm hungover, my voice is gone, but this was one of the best football nights of my life. I don't even care what happens in the rest of this WC, this was so godddamn amazing.

Whose the most prime GK in this tournament right now? Neuer?

I would say Courtois but he's going to be even better next season. Neuer could be a good answer, I don't want Bayern so can't really tell. Hart is also in his prime, his prime is shit but that's what makes it funny innit, he's never going to get better.

Holy shit, what a night. I'm hungover, my voice is gone, but this was one of the best football nights of my life. I don't even care what happens in the rest of this WC, this was so godddamn amazing.

Haha nice, saw someone I know now living in Amsterdam upload videos of the parties that went on, looked like a good night.

fuenf

I would say Courtois but he's going to be even better next season. Neuer could be a good answer, I don't want Bayern so can't really tell. Hart is also in his prime, his prime is shit but that's what makes it funny innit, he's never going to get better.

I think the difference between Neuer, Courtois is marginal. Weidenfeller and Courtois might even be better a bit better at shot blocking than Neuer, but he's the most complete GK all things considered (leadership, commanding the box and catching crosses, build up play, playing libero or attacking #10, headers in the opposing half etc).

If I had to win one single match I'd field Neuer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom