• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

haha! I was messing with 3D earlier.

O2N.png

P2N.png

BONKERS

My two cents: I've found that Lanczos produces some very nice results closer to the original without as much blur as bicubic. You are correct about the banding though and the source image needs to be taken into account when choosing the correct DS filter. I use Faststone and depending on the scene I start with Lanczos2 (which is the sharpest), check for any banding, and then try Lanczos3, check for banding, and eventually try Bicubic. Nine times out of ten I stick with the Lanczos2 image.

Although, I've been using the Bicubic filter in GeDoSaTo with Syndicate and have been suitably impressed with the results.

Really enjoying your C3 shots, this one especially.

Great shots! Is the city one all in-engine or is there a shader effect added?

And I thought this game was all chrome and two fisted shotguns. Creepy images!

You and me both. You enter the street and this guy is bopping to the techno with his face pressed up against the glass watching the Holodancers. The original shot was freakier as there was this warping effect that looked to be applied in place of the ambient occlusion that made his eyes look like bottomless pits. The effect seemed to disappear when I changed the resolution though. The image below is one screenshot I took before it crashed.

Lanczos in my experience leaves a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to downsampling. Something about just looks and feels off. Like things are too sharp and there is ringing and things have a fuzzy texture to them from being so sharp. Which to my eye looks like aliasing. (Ex: The edges of the pumpkins in the lower right)

Maybe it's just the Lanczos filter in Infranview
Bicub-PS http://i7.minus.com/ibkytizBH9MuXa.png
Lanc-IV http://i5.minus.com/iCC1HoAzWQDeq.png

I'm perfectly happy with Bicubic in realtime TBH, I was surprised how great it looked with GeDoSaTo when downsampling from 4k to 1600x900. Compared to Bilinear, it has smoother gradients and seemed to get some edges better.

I'd really love to see a Lanczos option in GeDoSaTo though, to test that individually and see how it looks in realtime!

Chromatic Aberration is the big one that really pisses me off.

Mostly because real world high quality lenses dont' suffer the copious and stupid amounts that game devs slap all over their games. And when they do, there is significant effort to reduce and remove such benign amounts of fringing.

Daylight pissed me off. You are viewing through the eyes of a HUMAN, our eyesight doesn't look like that.

The only games it looks even remotely ok in are the ones where it makes sense,
(IE: Security cameras in Watch Dogs, when a character is wearing some kind of lens or visor that refracts light. Or through glass pane doors and windows where light refracts)

Titanfall used it really well. It showed up when you were in a Titan that was almost destroyed. Parts of the "display" would show lots of chromatic aberration.

96e8296e28.jpg

This is a screen of the E313 Xbox demo but you can see the effect on the top part of the screen as the Titan gets hit by rockets.

BONKERS

Titanfall used it really well. It showed up when you were in a Titan that was almost destroyed. Parts of the "display" would show lots of chromatic aberration.

96e8296e28.jpg

This is a screen of the E313 Xbox demo but you can see the effect on the top part of the screen as the Titan gets hit by rockets.

This a good use that makes sense too. So kudos to them!

I'd imagine a proper Mobile Suit Gundam game would have the same thing if the cameras in the head and other areas took damage. And any backup cameras i'd imagine would be low quality enough that they'd have some measure of CA>

One thing I hope for the PS4 generation is that Bandai steps up and actually makes an honest real effort to make a quality Gundam game with proper scale that can stand on it's own and isn't just a "Blow everything up" simulator.
(By Proper Scale I mean like, the mobile suits don't look like People sized and look like they are moving around a Sentai/power ranger esque Mecha fight scene set. Where everything is oddly unrealistically small and look like cardboard. Those things are supposed to be this tall afterall ex2)

Pakoe

Chromatic Aberration is the big one that really pisses me off.

Mostly because real world high quality lenses dont' suffer the copious and stupid amounts that game devs slap all over their games. And when they do, there is significant effort to reduce and remove such benign amounts of fringing.

Daylight pissed me off. You are viewing through the eyes of a HUMAN, our eyesight doesn't look like that.

The only games it looks even remotely ok in are the ones where it makes sense,
(IE: Security cameras in Watch Dogs, when a character is wearing some kind of lens or visor that refracts light. Or through glass pane doors and windows where light refracts)

Things like Lens flares and Depth of Field i'm completely ok with because these exist entirely in our own vision.

I've gotten to the point IRL where I can selectively focus my eyes where I want them and then keep that area in focus and look at the out of focus areas. It's quite sublime!
It's true that we are just staring at a screen and everything else is already out of focus. But I don't mind the effect much at all TBH.

I can't wait to see what it feels like with OR though!

Yup! Looks good doesn't it for it's age?

He's probably using the built in Temporal AA that C2 shipped with. Which used temporal reprojection supersampling for distant objects and FXAA for nearby objects.

Add on the film grain and the dof and motion blur and that probably contributes to what you are seeing. I quite liked the effect for the time (Considering how much aliasing there is in C2 without any AA of any kind. In the SMAA T2x demo video, it didn't even look good with Crysis 2. Because there was just that much! >_> )

Second one had me cracking up!

Hey guys, is NFS:Rivals still wonked up on PC? No patch to fix the frame pacing issues like they did on consoles?

:|

It looks freaking amazing!

Thorgal

I think the very fact he started talking about a chapter and named a specific character that appears in said chapter was reason enough .

Iv'e noticed Mods hold a zero tolerance policy on spoilers in GOT threads no matter how small .

R8TEDM3

IQ looks way better M3. Nice
Though that last one looks washed out.

I know what happened now! After i downloaded and installed latest drivers, i didn't check the box where it says "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs"

That's what made the AA look so bad, it wasn't doing any downsampling at all! And on that last pic just as i pressed capture button, bloody search light came on top of me, that's why it looks overexposed...bad luck!

Anyway, thanks to you and other few members that gave offered some help earlier, cheers!

Tnecniv

Neo Member
A bit of an older pic I captured for the PC performance thread;

14292291051_9b7ce6134a_o.png

I'll try to take some new ones with downsampling and sparse grid txaa soon.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Amazing. More pics of this game plox!
Thanks. Will do, mate.

Some more info to share, all I did was disable in-game AA, force SGSS and apply some downsampling. And that's it. Rest of the IQ is vanilla maxed out.

Edit:
As much as I like the way this game looks some times, it shows off everything about UE3 that is horrible.

Those cerpuscular rays (screen space sun rays) are reall really really low quality. The banding is horribly evident.
Yeah the ray banding is bad, I tried to minimize it from a differnt angle, it looked even worse if I panned the camera over to the right just a little. I like the color scheme though.

One3rd

I thought the AO was just very fine in my images rendered at 5120x2880, turns out that driver forced AA and AO don't work when using GeDoSaTo.

14335593205_29bf707589_o.jpg

14355782803_ab302a86dc_o.jpg

BTW, does anyone know how to render portrait resolutions with the Starbreeze Engine? I can't seem to get it to work...doesn't even render 4:3 properly.

CUD

Banned
First time posting here. Been through the entire thread and have been keeping up with the posts for a while. Great stuff overall, some games really stand out over others. I plan on posting here more often, hopefully.

I've been playing Batman: Arkham City lately so I'll start off with some screens from that for my first few posts.
My Flickr for more of my screens. (Only Batman so far since I only started using it recently).

14141397077_1eb1124d84_o.png

14336113025_b6d3a31dcd_o.png

BONKERS

I thought the AO was just very fine in my images rendered at 5120x2880, turns out that driver forced AA and AO don't work when using GeDoSaTo.

14335593205_29bf707589_o.jpg

14355782803_ab302a86dc_o.jpg

BTW, does anyone know how to render portrait resolutions with the Starbreeze Engine? I can't seem to get it to work...doesn't even render 4:3 properly.

weird, I thought when I tried SGSSAA with GeDoSaTo once it worked. Maybe my eyes were borked

Top Bottom