• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

maneil99

I was going to install MOH:W for some screenshots, on second thought after viewing screenshots... I'll pass.

Sure. Nothing very high end;

Win 7
GTX780
8GB 1333
1TB HDD

Processor and gpu are overclocked.

780/2600k OCed = Very High End

R8TEDM3

14153789257_9e3c958413_o.png

14336956381_3decd25ff7_o.png

Tnecniv

Neo Member
I was going to install MOH:W for some screenshots, on second thought after viewing screenshots... I'll pass.

780/2600k OCed = Very High End
Apologies, yeah, didn't mean to brag or anything. Just thinking about the dudes rocking those quad sli/crossfire rigs that put mine to shame.

One3rd

Nice. Great coloration.

Nice shots. The in-game AA does leave a lot to be desired though. I found that SweetFX injected SMAA + downsampling provided a fairly clean image. Or depending on the scene just throw pixels at it with a large tiledshot (there are some issues with some pp effects not showing up or being clipped). See the guide for details.

Well, I think the driver AA / AO issue I thought was due to GeDoSaTo is due to something else. Looks like AO is showing up in only some of the shots after changing the resolution from 1920x1080 to anything else not just to the GeDoSaTo resolution. The IQ with GeDoSaTo at 6400x3600 + FXAA (image 1) is noticeably better than 3200x1800 with 4xMSAA + 4xTrSSAA + SMAA + lumasharpen (image 2).

14318959216_960551723d_o.jpg

image 1

14342089745_cd4b6f0edd_o.jpg

image 2

BONKERS

SMAA+Lumasharpen?

Por Quoi!

j/k.

Whatever works! I'd really have to see a direct A/B/C (Of the same location)comparison myself to pass any judgement. I can clearly see some edges being missed in the second picture, but you are using SMAA+Lumasharpening, which seems counter productive and would end up emphasizing whatever rough edges are left before resolve. Since SMAA operates differently than FXAA.
(And at such a high resolution using the built in FXAA seems like the better idea and didn't produce the kind of aliasing left over in my own testing that seems to be left in that 2nd shot)

And what looks better in motion is another thing too.

But again, whatever works for you ultimately is fine.

I'd love to see 6400x3600+FXAA in motion thanks to GeDoSaTo. Don't have the game installed atm though. Might have to try.

da fuq, is that a game ?

Rambo The Vidya Game! It's on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/274130/

Murdered is a good looking game I think.

I understand why there is a 30FPS cap now though. Because there are so many typical mediocre quality FMVs used so often. And they are encoded at 30FPS. Even ridiculously simple things are pre-rendered. And I don't understand why? They could've easily been done in real time. There is no appreciable gain in Image quality either. No higher quality AA in FMVs, no higher quality effects. Compression is easily seen.

I hope Eurogamer does a comparison between versions for this game. Because now i'm curious if the FMV quality is the same on the PS4/XBO. Edit: Saw someone on twitter mentioning they looked like compressed crap on PS4 too. Dafuq mang. Seriously. I'm getting sick of this shit.

The game uses Chromatic Aberration on elements at the edge of the screen too. Which is not terrible but not great.

If you want to disable it go to "MyDocuments/MyGames/Murdered Soul Suspect/Config/FateSystemSettings.ini"

And modify lines 219 and 220 to both say 0 "ChromaticUVNudge=0.000000" "ChromaticBlendExp=0.000000"
Comparison

One3rd

SMAA+Lumasharpen?

Por Quoi!

j/k.
In the past I'd done some comparisons and determined that lumasharpen did bring out the textures a bit more than without...even with SMAA used. You are right though and there can sometimes be added aliasing when paired with SMAA and I'm looking at not using it at all going forward. It works well at 1920x1080 but at higher resolutions has diminishing returns.

Whatever works! I'd really have to see a direct A/B/C (Of the same location)comparison myself to pass any judgement. I can clearly see some edges being missed in the second picture, but you are using SMAA+Lumasharpening, which seems counter productive and would end up emphasizing whatever rough edges are left before resolve. Since SMAA operates differently than FXAA.
(And at such a high resolution using the built in FXAA seems like the better idea and didn't produce the kind of aliasing left over in my own testing that seems to be left in that 2nd shot)
Yes, I'm slowly coming to realize this. See comparison shots below.

Image1: 6400x3600 + ingame FXAA
Image1: 3200x1800 + SMAA + Lumasharpen

Image3: 5120x2880 - On second thought, I don't think this had FXAA applied.
Image3: 5120x2880 + SMAA + Lumasharpen - You can definitely see added aliasing from the SMAA + luma combination on this image compared to the one above. Especially in the soldiers head on the left and edges of the sign on the top right.
Image3: 3200x1800 + SMAA + Lumasharpen

And what looks better in motion is another thing too.

But again, whatever works for you ultimately is fine.

I'd love to see 6400x3600+FXAA in motion thanks to GeDoSaTo. Don't have the game installed atm though. Might have to try.
I would as well...I'm not getting playable framerates at that resolution though. =) Around 3 - 10 FPS depending on the scene. More than enough for screenshots though!

And an image I don't think I'd previously posted.
14311817884_ba8e9c56cc_o.jpg

CUD

Banned
Cropped the black bars from this cutscene screen below in Photoshop.

14342281834_108f2fc173_o.png

Sometimes the low res textures really show, especially in some screens, but in motion the art style is really nice.
14156424018_9305008728_o.png

BONKERS

izXDHa0nljN0H.png

It may be rough in an area or two. And in really need of SGSSAA at native resolution. (And HBAO+ because the HDAO flickers a ton, the SSAO isn't half bad though)

But honestly one of the best looking UE3 games i've ever played (As long as you make some fixes like disabling CA and Distortion. And fixing the texture pop in by adding ",NumStreamedMips=0" to the end of every texture group except shadow maps which already has it. It's set to 3. You can leave it or change it. Careful though, this eats up a lot of VRAM.). One that manages to have a unique look at the very least.

BONKERS

In the past I'd done some comparisons and determined that lumasharpen did bring out the textures a bit more than without...even with SMAA used. You are right though and there can sometimes be added aliasing when paired with SMAA and I'm looking at not using it at all going forward. It works well at 1920x1080 but at higher resolutions has diminishing returns.

Yes, I'm slowly coming to realize this. See comparison shots below.

Image1: 6400x3600 + ingame FXAA
Image1: 3200x1800 + SMAA + Lumasharpen

Image3: 5120x2880 - On second thought, I don't think this had FXAA applied.
Image3: 5120x2880 + SMAA + Lumasharpen - You can definitely see added aliasing from the SMAA + luma combination on this image compared to the one above. Especially in the soldiers head on the left and edges of the sign on the top right.
Image3: 3200x1800 + SMAA + Lumasharpen

I would as well...I'm not getting playable framerates at that resolution though. =) Around 3 - 10 FPS depending on the scene. More than enough for screenshots though!

And an image I don't think I'd previously posted.
14311817884_ba8e9c56cc_o.jpg
Thanks for this. SMAA is fine to use for sure when that's the only option you have with downsampling. Just not a great idea to use it on top of MSAA or sharpen it maybe :p

BONKERS

areyouondrugs.gif

poor textures, crappy NPC models, mild shaders and visual effects...we've seen many games made with the same engine that look much better than this.

Poor textures? I've seen a lot of so called "AAA" games on UE3 that have worse textures and NPC models.
The textures here while they can be inconsistent as with any current game. Look absolutely great for the most part.

It's all a matter of opinion I guess. I think it looks great. And I think my screenshots show that it looks great.

Poor textures? I've seen a lot of so called "AAA" games on UE3 that have worse textures and NPC models.
The textures here while they can be inconsistent as with any current game. Look absolutely great for the most part.

It's all a matter of opinion I guess. I think it looks great. And I think my screenshots show that it looks great.

yep, but there're many others much more beautiful and elegant (Bioshock, Batman, DmC . RemMe..etc) I respect ur opinion even if i do not agree though.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
izXDHa0nljN0H.png

It may be rough in an area or two. And in really need of SGSSAA at native resolution. (And HBAO+ because the HDAO flickers a ton, the SSAO isn't half bad though)

But honestly one of the best looking UE3 games i've ever played (As long as you make some fixes like disabling CA and Distortion. And fixing the texture pop in by adding ",NumStreamedMips=0" to the end of every texture group except shadow maps which already has it. It's set to 3. You can leave it or change it. Careful though, this eats up a lot of VRAM.). One that manages to have a unique look at the very least.
What AA are you using for Murdered, if you don't mind me asking?

Playing through Amalur again with SGSS at mostly 60fps is nice. There is a slight bright edge border glitch but I reckon that can be remedied with sweetfx border setting. Game is showing its age but overall, I still dig it.

14340936131_0879cc7764_o.png

14157611808_b6500f9761_o.png

GavinUK86

@ Tnecniv...do you recommend playing that RPG game? I wanted to get it a while back, and then totally forgot about it!

It's a great game! Get it bundled with the two DLC quests if you can because they're really good too. If 38 Studios stuck with the single player game for a while and didn't try to force the MMO out, maybe they wouldn't of gone under.

R8TEDM3

It's a great game! Get it bundled with the two DLC quests if you can because they're really good too. If 38 Studios stuck with the single player game for a while and didn't try to force the MMO out, maybe they wouldn't of gone under.

Great! Read some good reviews back then, but yeah it's sad that they closed down! Thanks for the quick reply, will get it with DLC's now!

GavinUK86

Great! Read some good reviews back then, but yeah it's sad that they closed down! Thanks for the quick reply, will get it with DLC's now!

No problem. Just so you know (after a quick google) the DLC I meant was The Legend of Dead Kel and Teeth of Naros. Both are pretty long and great. It's a shame no one, that we know of anyway, bought the IP.

One3rd

Thanks for this. SMAA is fine to use for sure when that's the only option you have with downsampling. Just not a great idea to use it on top of MSAA or sharpen it maybe :p
Thanks, I really do appreciate your constructive feedback.

On another note, I've determined that the HBAO+ does not work reliably at all. At 1920x1080 it is good about 80% of the time but does glitch out randomly on certain levels. At any higher resolutions it only seems to work about 10% of the time. For now I've disabled it as it wasn't showing up in any of the 6400x3600 shots and that is where I think the best IQ is for me ATM. I'm glad I did get a couple of shots at 3200x1800 with it showing though...just wish it was doing that all the time.

14342206661_4a1be7528e_o.jpg

14342203891_ce6351e16a_o.jpg

BONKERS

What AA are you using for Murdered, if you don't mind me asking?

Playing through Amalur again with SGSS at mostly 60fps is nice. There is a slight bright edge border glitch but I reckon that can be remedied with sweetfx border setting. Game is showing its age but overall, I still dig it.

14340936131_0879cc7764_o.png

14157611808_b6500f9761_o.png

Yeah,that border issue happens with a lot of games and SGSSAA. SweetFX works great to fix it.
Thanks, I really do appreciate your constructive feedback.

On another note, I've determined that the HBAO+ does not work reliably at all. At 1920x1080 it is good about 80% of the time but does glitch out randomly on certain levels. At any higher resolutions it only seems to work about 10% of the time. For now I've disabled it as it wasn't showing up in any of the 6400x3600 shots and that is where I think the best IQ is for me ATM. I'm glad I did get a couple of shots at 3200x1800 with it showing though...just wish it was doing that all the time.

14342206661_4a1be7528e_o.jpg

14342203891_ce6351e16a_o.jpg
Is this all while having GeDoSaTo enabled? That may be the issue maybe.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No problem. Just so you know (after a quick google) the DLC I meant was The Legend of Dead Kel and Teeth of Naros. Both are pretty long and great. It's a shame no one, that we know of anyway, bought the IP.
How do they compare to the main game's content? I played it a lot (nearing the end) on PS3 since it was free for PS+ subscribers, but I don't think I want to bother with the DLC. Game is way, way too easy (even on Hard) and the copy/paste dungeons get old fast.

Spazznid

Really? What's wrong with Murdered? I find it pretty good looking in motion. Not THE best looking UE3 game, but one of the best looking.

There isn't anything wrong with it, just that there are plenty of amazing looking games on UE3.

Top Bottom