• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

The altered visuals of parts of the 2033 Redux are really making me better appreciate the difference between being underground in the metro and up above, in the wasteland. It goes from being so, so dark to blindingly bright (like any good winter day).

14882732278_5b0d8dcaba_o.png

15068966932_99e4d9c854_o.png

Dries

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between downsampling with GeDoSaTo as opposed to "normal" downsampling with the Nvidia control panel? Is one method preferred over the other?

GeDoSaTo allows you to create resolutions that exceed the limits of driver downsampling. It also has a few options for different downsampling filters. Driver downsampling uses bilinear, but GeDoSaTo includes bicubic and lanczos as well. And you don't need to fiddle with timings or refresh rates.

It's especially useful for AMD users who have had pretty crappy downsampling support since forever. My GPU + monitor combo allows me to create resolutions as high as 5120x2880 in the nvidia control panel. I think that's impossible with AMD as of right now. Very easy with GeDoSaTo.

It's still DX9 only for now though.

Dries

GeDoSaTo allows you to create resolutions that exceed the limits of driver downsampling. It also has a few options for different downsampling filters. Driver downsampling uses bilinear, but GeDoSaTo includes bicubic and lanczos as well. And you don't need to fiddle with timings or refresh rates.

It's especially useful for AMD users who have had pretty crappy downsampling support since forever. My GPU + monitor combo allows me to create resolutions as high as 5120x2880 in the nvidia control panel. I think that's impossible with AMD as of right now. Very easy with GeDoSaTo.

It's still DX9 only for now though.

I have an Nvidia card though and I want the "fiddling around" to be kept at a minimum. It seems that normal downsampling is less hassle then. Is the quality the same with both methods?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have an Nvidia card though and I want the "fiddling around" to be kept at a minimum. It seems that normal downsampling is less hassle then. Is the quality the same with both methods?

No, Durante's tool offers superior sampling options (bicubic) to the basic setup that Nvidia has.

Started using GeDoSaTo as opposed to ENB, and liking it much, much more. I have the colour palette the way I like it now, same with AO. Just waiting for Durante to implement the ability to increase the number of AO samples which, if I understand, will increase the quality greatly :D
14888674590_0f6ad0aaf6_k_d.jpg

R8TEDM3

Is there any visual difference between the orig and Redux version of Metro LL ?

I was only able to find this link of "original Metro" (not LL) vs. Redux!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWe9L3Wp0JY

but to me LL is almost the same, outside areas are much brighter, and don't give that apocalyptic feel that the original game had imo.

Also textures are way better in original game, while lightning is improved in "Redux! New PhysX effects look nice as well.

EDIT:

added a new comparison link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-bReG5sMA#t=80

BONKERS

If you have an Nvidia card, you are mostly better off using SGSSAA for many DX9 games anyway, as many have a lot of shader/specular aliasing that can only be fixed properly by SGSSAA.

While a still shot downsampled would end up looking fine. Temporally, it's often worse.

Of course, mileage varies by game. There are a lot of games where there aren't enough issues like that where SGSSAA would be worth the difference. And vice versa.

As well many games that don't work with that, and your only solution is downsampling with GeDoSaTo

I was only able to find this link of "original Metro" (not LL) vs. Redux!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWe9L3Wp0JY

but to me LL is almost the same, outside areas are much brighter, and don't give that apocalyptic feel that the original game had imo.

Also textures are way better in original game, while lightning is improved in "Redux! New PhysX effects look nice as well.

EDIT:

added a new comparison link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-bReG5sMA#t=80

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/89448
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/89449

Those screenshots of The Crew are so tiny. This is the high-res thread! =)

Anyhwo, Fable 3. Game looks more dated than I remember. But I wanted to try my hand at a free camera + FOV for the hell o fit.

14892305627_9c1ef99fef_o.jpg

15055845906_0aae5c8706_o.jpg

Spazznid

Great. But you can't use it with DX10 or 11 games? So for those games, you would have to fall back to normal downsampling?

Yup. For now at least. If you don't like that, then donate some mulah Durante's way. Some good incentives to work on GeDoSaTo more.

:D

Dries

If you have an Nvidia card, you are mostly better off using SGSSAA for many DX9 games anyway, as many have a lot of shader/specular aliasing that can only be fixed properly by SGSSAA.

While a still shot downsampled would end up looking fine. Temporally, it's often worse.

Of course, mileage varies by game. There are a lot of games where there aren't enough issues like that where SGSSAA would be worth the difference. And vice versa.

As well many games that don't work with that, and your only solution is downsampling with GeDoSaTo

I don't really understand what you are advising me. Is SGSSAA provided via GeDoSaTo? In general, are you telling me to go with GeDoSaTo or Nvidia control panel downsampling?

One3rd

Lovely "Spec Ops" shots One3rd :) Will have to get that game in the future!
Thanks, it really is a good game. The actually game play is your normal third person cover shooter which is OK. At least get it for the story, it's one of the few games that after playing it the first time, I sat back and thought about what I had just experienced.

find the main character
shift2014-08-2820-56-qbrt4.png
You driving a red GT-R?

Durante

The outdoor scenes in the new DS2 DLC are amazing. Also some of the most demanding in the game though. I wonder how they run on consoles.

screenshot_2014-08-28lgs5h.jpg

screenshot_2014-08-27mcski.jpg

Top Bottom