• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

The most cherished thing in all Need for Speed games
shift2014-08-2421-00-gus00.png

the boxart car

shift2014-08-2420-57-nwj8z.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Quick test of Silent Hill 3 at 8Kx4K to eliminate all aliasing (DX8 prevents AA)

15016176716_5312280e89_o_d.jpg

What sort of frame rate do you get with that?

I'm sure like most people, the PT announcement got me sort of energized on Silent Hill and I might try and get through the first three games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What sort of frame rate do you get with that?

I'm sure like most people, the PT announcement got me sort of energized on Silent Hill and I might try and get through the first three games.
20-30 range. Only good for a screenshot run. 4x2 should run fine though.

8627566304_34c3f2a199_o.jpg

Also, I did a free camera for Fable 3 but couldn't get FOV (weird).

Also also, I did a free camera for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. With FOV =)

15037485441_008ed37a56_o.jpg

Might be the first game I've played that uses static addresses for camera coordinates. It works during any part of the game. Normal gameplay, fixed camera scenes, even cut scenes.

Problem is, I did that with the demo. Not sure if I want to pay $40 to port that to the full version....

ScRYeD

9589704148_1dfec8a7b2_o.png

Unfortunately there is no way, how stop time in Morrowind, so make screenshots of monsters in good position is tricky. But I can try!

Bring up console, click on a monster and type TAI. That should stop the monster moving. I guess that is as close you are gonna get to a timestop.

FACE

Banned
Nope. The FOV mod I use isn't compatible with FCR so I opt to not use that when I'm taking screenshots of the game.

I actually noticed the grass problem too and tried to track it down. I was using the extreme quality flora mod but uninstalling it seems to have made it better? Hard to tell with this lighting but I didn't take any other screenshots.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5563/14832416869_f51b31c86c_o.jpg[IMG]

Hmmm. I can actually still kinda see it in that portrait. Weird.

Also, in-case anyone missed it, [URL="http://deadendthrills.com/forum/discussion/263/guide-darksiders-2/p1"]DARKSIDERS 2 FREE CAMERA + FOV[/URL][/QUOTE]

Your shots are incredible as always. The first one in particular is wallpaper-worthy.

Shumafuk

Bring up console, click on a monster and type TAI. That should stop the monster moving. I guess that is as close you are gonna get to a timestop.
I would like to get monsters in movement, ideally with my play character during fight. But that is impossible. "TFC 1" like in Skyrim would be absolutely hilarious.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Despite the aliasing, looks nice. If you get a chance, injecting SMAA works well in m2033 and costs little performance and if your hardware can afford it, downsampling works nicely as well.

4K Downsampling, Ultra SMAA:

15042828485_029bc8cf55_o.jpg

15019835346_0bd141cccd_o.jpg

Edit: Had to re-up second pic

One3rd

Those Morrowind shots are great, that game holds a special place in my heart.

The saturation in this image stood out as I was scanning the page. Gotta love the 'hog...even when she's gussied up like a trollop!

Original (4k downsampled, ultra smaa):
14856500428_41eea2d868_o.jpg

Redux (in-game max settings):
14856507918_f7b4d06e78_o.jpg
Thanks for the comparison, I've been looking for a clear differentiation and that clearly shows the improvements.

15043286785_35fae691e3_o.jpg

14856636720_510fb11d8c_o.jpg

15022640766_e911b6a19a_o.jpg

Another shot I grabbed last night during a cut scene. I alt-tabbed (playing in windowed mode) to pause, then used Cheat Engine to control the camera, fov, and rotation (with arrow keys).

It's not a great shot, but it demonstrates the possibilities. I'm not a big fan of the DoF they're using... and a lot of the assets really don't look too great up close.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
@Stallion Thanks for the framerate info on Silent Hill

Yup.
Here's a similar situation with MB on [.jpg, unluckily].
IQ-fanatics maybe disapprove, but I find the 'painted-like' feeling that occurs in some shots pretty enchanting.

iCfFmKQBpUVa3.jpg

I really appreciate good motion blur. Stick with it if you like it too.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Thanks for the comparison, I've been looking for a clear differentiation and that clearly shows the improvements.

I prefer the lighting in the original. Incandescent lighting and lanterns would be giving off a dull orange glow rather than a bright blue light.
There's no question that the redux is an improvement over the original when it comes to animation, character models, textures, and surface levels.

The lighting is tougher to judge. This is the part of the game I've seen that has seen the biggest changes -- some for the better and some for the worse. When it comes to the lighting, I fall somewhere in the middle.

Original (4k down, ultra smaa):
15051872675_799f359698_o.jpg

Redux (in-game maxed):
14865294180_c7e3035dcf_o.jpg

UnrealEck

I think it's easy to see why Metro 2033 was so demanding on hardware. The lighting and various other effects look pretty intensive compared to the Redux. I think in many places the Redux and LL look sort of flatter. Not sure how to describe it. The lighting in the original Metro seemed to add a lot of depth to the scene. Some of the other effects seem to have a similar impact. Not sure if it's depth of field too but there's something about it that stands out.
The models and textures generally look like they've been improved though.

Top Bottom