• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ape

Banned
I doubt he'll get a higher fg% and 3 pt%. Yeah he scored more points but that's easy when you're taking 30 shots a game.

I mean, with the team around him he's the type of player that will most likely be posting close to if not a triple double every game this series. 40/12/10 stat lines from here on out without KI. Not sure who's worried about his percentages with those sexy numbers.

Ninjimbo

This is reminiscent of the 2012-2013 Finals
I'm getting flashbacks to last year and how I felt so good after the Heat won in Game 2 in spectacular fashion. And then Leonard came alive. You could've argued that the Heat had outplayed the Spurs the first two games and were it not for cramps, they would've won the first two games.

The same thing could happen again, maybe. Nobody really knows. Curry isn't exactly Leonard and this Cavs team has more favorable matchups up front which the Heat didn't have.

Trey

The 08-09 Magic? I don't remember him playing hardly when he was in Miami.

I'm saying, SVG didn't tell him to knock it the fuck off? Nelson didn't punch him in the throat? Reddick didn't stab him between the ribs? Howard didn't threaten to add Lewis' teenage cousin(s) on Facebook?

Dude yakked up 12 threes and only made three. that's nine hopeless possessions in a Finals game. Nine.

He can't even take a game? Are you kidding me?

Yea, this is real joke material right here. You can tell who either really didn't see Jordan play, or if they did, seriously don't understand just how amazing this guy truly was. He was an impact player on a level that makes Lebron almost look average. Yea, some may say I'm overstating it, but I don't think I am. Michael Jordan was that great of a basketball player. The best ever.

Yeah.

Otherwise if you take away Curry, then you have Draymond Green(had what, a few field goals all game) and Harrison Barnes as the only logical hopefuls.

Barnes isn't ready to be Kawhi Leonard.

Speaking of Barnes, he missed 4 wide open threes. That's probably the type of concession cleveland is willing to give up, so his shooting is gonna be crucial going forward.

Wizman23

Banned
What if I told you the Cavs shot nearly double as many FT as the Warriors on the road? 40 to 25.
That HACK on Lebron at the end where there was a no call was fucking bullshit and you know it. How many thousands did you throw at this series in Vegas? You sure were talking a big fucking game like you were going to bank millions. On to game 3 at the Q

Cipherr

maybe you are underrating the defensive efforts of the cavs, ie delly

Everyone is, on both sides. Everyone is going on about how bad GS shoots, or how bad Cleveland including Lebron shoots, but no one seems to want to admit that perhaps, these playoff teams watch tape and actually defend well.

I still don't think Lebron can keep this up. Doubt Cavs win both games 3 and 4.

Well no, he can't. GS is by far the better team. They are the better team overall even if the entire Cavs roster was healthy. But with Kyrie and Love and Varejao all gone, this isn't even close.

I barely watched any of the regular season and only some of the playoffs, but you Western Conference nuts need to give the Cavs some respect...considering how close both games were right up to the end of regulation.

Before the finals started, you'd think that GS would be up 20 points in every game by the way most people were talking.
And I don't know whether it's just trash talk or whether people actually feel that GS is 100x superior, but either way, it makes you all look silly.

Such truth. Don't hold your breath though. Even during the years when Miami won the chip, all throughout the playoffs people were shouting that 'Leastern' conference shit, acting like once the Heat faced a "Real" team they would lose. But once they beat the best of the West? Silence.

This is a so called terrible East team that 'supposedly' is just now playing a real squad. AND these guys have 3 players injured; two of them allstars. Yet no sweep. Meh.

That HACK on Lebron at the end where there was a no call was fucking bullshit and you know it. How many thousands did you throw at this series in Vegas? You sure were talking a big fucking game like you were going to bank millions. On to game 3 at the Q

I didn't mind that cause Lebron traveled also.

Jonm1010

Banned
Most years I agree that the western conference team comes into the championship at a disadvantage solely because they have been through the grinder of a tougher regular season compounded by an even tougher post season.

I think to even the most partisan eastern conference team fan that is undeniable.

This year, however, the case is harder to make. At least in the post season. I still think the Warriors had atougher road on paper in the post season.. Pelicans > celtics, Grizzlies > Bulls and Houston > Atlanta. But the gap wasn't as large and when you take into account the Cavs injuries it narrows further.

I said it weeks ago but the Grizzlies had the formula for the Warriors but unfortunately couldn't stay healthy. Conley and Allen healthy went 2-0 against them and the Grizs slowed down play and physical style hurt the Warriors rhythm and lessened the effectiveness of their D. Blatt has been able to recreate some of that defensive success. Using some of the same principles. Will be interesting to see how the Warriors adjust.

I actually stand by the miraculous defense description. They're holding the best offensive team to WAY below their usual standard. Now that's either miraculous because none of these guys are all-nba defensive team players other than Lebron. Or it's just the Warriors missing shots. Sure they have some good defensive team stats but does anyone consider them good enough to hold a team like the Warriors to such low numbers?

So is it sustainable? That's what you have to ask yourself. There's obviously no answer but it's something to think about as the series goes on.

Jonm1010

Banned
I actually stand by the miraculous defense description. They're holding the best offensive team to WAY below their usual standard. Now that's either miraculous because none of these guys are all-nba defensive team players other than Lebron. Or it's just the Warriors missing shots. Sure they have some good defensive team stats but does anyone consider them good enough to hold a team like the Warriors to such low numbers?

So is it sustainable? That's what you have to ask yourself. There's obviously no answer but it's something to think about as the series goes on.

I don't think it is. I think the Cavs have a formula that has given the Warriors trouble but certain guys are going to inevitably have better nights. Barnes isn't going to miss 4 open threes again(I doubt). Kerr and Gentry are going to find some ways to get Curry going. Heck curry will find ways to get curry going. And Thompson isn't going to get in early foul trouble every game.

Maybe this is Currys own Lebron moment in his first finals but the Warriors team is just too good and the staff just too good to let that happen.

Frankly it comes down to can the Cavs keep the Warriors under 95 points for 3 more games and manage to get the rest of the team to score 55 points? Lebron can get his 40 but can you keep the Warriors from scoring 95 for 3 more games? I don't think you can.

zychi

Banned
The hack where he traveled? Or the hack where he commites a turnover that wasnt called?

I don't think it is. I think the Cavs have a formula that has given the Warriors trouble but certain guys are going to inevitably have better nights. Barnes isn't going to miss 4 open threes again(I doubt). Kerr and Gentry are going to find some ways to get Curry going. Heck curry will find ways to get curry going. And Thompson isn't going to get in early foul trouble every game.

Maybe this is Currys own Lebron moment in his first finals but the Warriors team is just too good and the staff just too good to let that happen.

Frankly it comes down to can the Cavs keep the Warriors under 95 points for 3 more games and manage to get the rest of the team to score 55 points? Lebron can get his 40 but can you keep the Warriors from scoring 95 for 3 more games? I don't think you can.

That and they've never lost 3 games in a row which would have to happen for Cleveland to win this series. Losing a game in Cleveland at home is just too much to bear when you already stole one in Oakland.

Omega

Banned
Everyone is, on both sides. Everyone is going on about how bad GS shoots, or how bad Cleveland including Lebron shoots, but no one seems to want to admit that perhaps, these playoff teams watch tape and actually defend well.

Players on both sides are missing fairly open shots though.

But yeah, these were two of the best defensive teams in the league so this series isn't all that surprising outside of Steph being shut down by GOAT defender Dellevadova.

Warriors got a lot calls but he clearly, beyond argument, traveled before that. It was the only reason he was even able to attempt a shot.

rambis

Banned
Most years I agree that the western conference team comes into the championship at a disadvantage solely because they have been through the grinder of a tougher regular season compounded by an even tougher post season.

I think to even the most partisan eastern conference team fan that is undeniable.

This year, however, the case is harder to make. At least in the post season. I still think the Warriors had atougher road on paper in the post season.. Pelicans > celtics, Grizzlies > Bulls and Houston > Atlanta. But the gap wasn't as large and when you take into account the Cavs injuries it narrows further.

I said it weeks ago but the Grizzlies had the formula for the Warriors but unfortunately couldn't stay healthy. Conley and Allen healthy went 2-0 against them and the Grizs slowed down play and physical style hurt the Warriors rhythm and lessened the effectiveness of their D. Blatt has been able to recreate some of that defensive success. Using some of the same principles. Will be interesting to see how the Warriors adjust.
I think that its inarguable that most western teams have tougher paths to the finals, on paper, but I argue against the "disadvantage going into the finals" argument. Partially because disadvantage is way too vague a term when there are so many factors at play.

I think the main factor in arriving into the finals is the level of fatigue. And there's two distinct playstyles between the two conferences that most teams follow. The West is a more fast paced, high offense low defense style where the East is usually a slower, high defense grind out each possession style slugfest.

Which style wears on the body most? Its hard to say indefinitely but I will definitely argue that some years I believe the eastern champion has had a harder time making the finals, despite "weaker" competition.

These finals so far have been at an eastern conference pace and despite one team being considerably younger and more healthy, and despite both teams making the finals in roughly the same amount of games, both teams looked largely gassed by the end of the games.

omg_mjd

I usually find LBJ unlikable. But his emotional outburst at the end of the game was great. I'm used to seeing him put on an act or affect a persona but I think that scream of relief was an actual genuine moment. He was fucking scared until the buzzer sounded, that's for sure.

Damn dudes it's game two of what will probably be a 7 games series. Calm down.

I got a hard time believing this series goes 7. Either the Warriors will have lost and completely collapsed before then or the Cavs will not have had enough to push them to 7. A 7 game series in the Finals usually takes two fairly healthy teams going back and forth like Spurs/Heat or Celtics/Lakers.

I fell asleep at some point during the 3rd quarter, which pisses me off, but I just checked the box score, and the Cav's won shooting only 32% from the field, with Lebron going 11-35(and played 50 minutes)? Crazy.

Well, at least we have a series now. But the Ws need to stop fucking around. They spent most of the first half playing like the globetrotters, trying to make the crowd pop with alley oops and fancy passes. The cavs might be wrecked but they're taking this shit seriously.

Trey

it's a real inopportune fucking time to have two bad games, though.

First bad game is whatever - they won the series anyway. Last night was horrid but it happens to shooters every now and again. Sure it's inopportune but let's put this in to perspective: series is tied and Warriors barely lost a game in which they shot terribly as a team. They only lost back to back games once all playoffs and I think once all season. Curry is still shooting above 40 percent for the playoffs from three even with last night's masonry demonstration.

He's MVP and likely a legendary shooter, so I understand holding him to a higher standard. Which is fine - that's a fair deal. But so far these playoffs any time he or his team faced adversity they bounced back strong and dictated the series.

scabro

aSDsFHj.gif

loool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom