• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLH0

Banned
I feel bad for Dellavedova. The media has invented this stupid Curry-stopper narrative and when he starts playing like Stephen Curry again there will be an avalanche of smug "lol delly" posts that he doesn't really deserve.

Fake edit: starting already.

DaMan121

Lol, seriously. The game of basketball is designed for the offensive player, there are only so many things a single player can do when guarding without bringing a sledgehammer onto the court. Out of a hundred games, Curry plays like he did in Game 2, maybe 2-3 times. Cavs keep the Warriors at or below 100 each game, they have a huge shot at winning.

jfoul

o2ZVf1X.gif

Mike Tomlin is looking good these days.

dream

Zach Lowe has a great article that summarizes everything I told NBA-GAF 3 years ago about All Star Kevin Love. The guy is a selfish, shitty player who only gets attention because people need a great white hope.

BadAss2961

I feel bad for Dellavedova. The media has invented this stupid Curry-stopper narrative and when he starts playing like Stephen Curry again there will be an avalanche of smug "lol delly" posts that he doesn't really deserve.

Let's not forget how this guy's been scissoring legs and diving after knees, injuring people and getting away with it because he plays for LeBron. If he gets the embarrassment of his life tonight, he'll deserve it. He needs to be hockey checked.

effzee

Let's not forget how this guy's been scissoring legs and diving after knees, injuring people and getting away with it because he plays for LeBron. If he gets the embarrassment of his life tonight, he'll deserve it. He needs to be hockey checked.

Ah yes it all goes back to Lebron.

I'm sure Dwight wasn't suspended cause Lebron called it in to the league office.

Fjordson

Steph Curry is the "greatest shooter of all time" until he has a terrible game, then "he's not on the same level as LeBron" and so "he shouldn't receive the same criticism LeBron would".

Warriors fans just lose so much credibility when they refuse to admit that their boy is the golden boy of the league at the moment and is literally untouchable in the media.

I'm convinced Steph Curry could honestly get away with manslaughter at this point.
Multiple things are true here. Curry will end up as the greatest shooter ever when he's done, only a massive injury will derail that, but he isn't quite the singular force that Lebron is. I'm not sure anyone's ever argued that Lebron isn't still the best player on the planet.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Getting annoyed with all the talking heads saying "efficiency doesn't matter!" now with LeBron.

Bullshit. His shooting (and overall game plan) led to 32%FG for the Cavs in the last game. The Warriors will take that every single time.

BadAss2961

Ah yes it all goes back to Lebron.

I'm sure Dwight wasn't suspended cause Lebron called it in to the league office.
Dwight's a star. Dellavedova is Dellavedova. And unlike Dwight, not only did he get away with it, but he got his victims ejected -- and he shot the free throws for the cherry on top.

spyder_ur

Zach Lowe has a great article that summarizes everything I told NBA-GAF 3 years ago about All Star Kevin Love. The guy is a selfish, shitty player who only gets attention because people need a great white hope.

I'm not sure how you could read that article and come to that conclusion.

I also was much lower on Kevin Love than seemingly most people here and other places. There were plenty of people calling him one of the best 5 players in the NBA, which I thought was silly for a guy who never made the playoffs. I didn't want the Celts to unload a boatload of assets for him, and I wouldn't have given up Klay or Wiggins for him.

But to call him a 'selfish, shitty player' is absurd, the article doesn't come to that conclusion, and I have no idea what you're getting at with the great white hope stuff.

Jonm1010

Banned
Ahhh that article doesn't say that at all. In fact almost the opposite.

Lowe concludes that Love may not be the top 8 player some thought but he is still a top 15 type guy and in the right system can and would look like a star again. Quite a far cry from concluding he is a shitty, selfish player that white people cling too.

BadAss2961

Love is confirmed soft, but he could still be a good player. He just got Chris Bosh'd this year. LeBron makes his teammates better, yeah, tell it to those two guys. lol

Jonm1010

Banned
Love is confirmed soft, but he could still be a good player. He just got Chris Bosh'd this year. LeBron makes his teammates better, yeah, tell it to those two guys. lol
Lebron is an unconventional point guard in that sense. He makes certain types of players better, mostly catch and shoot guys and your secondary star who gets less attention. Whereas a true PG like Chris Paul really does make everyone else better.

BadAss2961

Lebron is an unconventional point guard in that sense. He makes certain types of players better, mostly catch and shoot guys and your secondary star who gets less attention. Whereas a true PG like Chris Paul really does make everyone else better.
Well said. I mean it's obvious, but you never hear it.

J2 Cool

He's super dirty, but a very good sneak about it. He needs like a Chris Paul to throw some back at him, or a just a big dude to just bowl over him. He got fucking AL Horford ejected for god's sake. Seriously an all-time playoffs for Dellavedova.

Lowe concludes that Love may not be the top 8 player some thought but he is still a top 15 type guy and in the right system can and would look like a star again.
It will be interesting to see what happens with him in Cleveland next season (assuming he stays). The offense installed in training camp and used during pre-season and for a short time in the regular season was completely thrown out. The team was basically reformed in early January and he never really looked comfortable before or after until (maybe) late in the season. He had visible back problems for much of the year. Then he got his first taste of the post-season, saw what it took to win and what it's like to be in the finals, and saw Tristan Thompson taking the glory that should be his. How much trust did Blatt build with Lebron this post-season to be able to make offensive changes and just how motivated is Love when he comes back?

Champagne

Banned
Multiple things are true here. Curry will end up as the greatest shooter ever when he's done, only a massive injury will derail that, but he isn't quite the singular force that Lebron is. I'm not sure anyone's ever argued that Lebron isn't still the best player on the planet.
The point is that he still has the credentials to draw the same criticism.

Lesser players than LeBron that have accomplished way more than Curry probably ever will (Kobe) have been fucking killed in the media for putting up shit tier games in the playoffs/finals. Ex: Kobe shooting 6-24 in game 7 of the finals despite still leading his team to the win. Harden got absolutely crucified for shitting it up in the elimination game against the Warriors. The only difference between Harden's performance and Steph Curry's is that Curry actually has a team that can carry him if need be so that the Warriors can remain in the game; see Klay Thompson getting red hot in game 2.

Curry has been lackluster as hell so far in the finals but unless the Warriors pull off the all-time level joke job and actually lose this series you will never hear a peep about it. Probably just more garbage about how Curry is so pure and wholesome and how "omg Riley Curry is so cute" shit. Meanwhile LeBron will average 40 a game and play all but 5 minutes in the series and be destroyed for being "2-4" in the finals.

Fjordson

Curry has been lackluster as hell so far in the finals but unless the Warriors pull off the all-time level joke job and actually lose this series you will never hear a peep about it. Probably just more garbage about how Curry is so pure and wholesome and how "omg Riley Curry is so cute" shit. Meanwhile LeBron will average 40 a game and play all but 5 minutes in the series and be destroyed for being "2-4" in the finals.
Well the expectations are different. Lebron gets compared to Jordan and is routinely discussed with the all-time greats. Curry was on a 20 win team a few years ago. Just different situations.

I doubt Curry will get a free pass if the Warriors lose, though. I mean I was watching PTI yesterday and one of the first topics was how bad Curry was.

jman2050

If Curry continues to be middling and the dubs lose this series he'll likely start getting the James Harden/Chris Paul treatment in short order. It won't be the least bit fair of course but what can you do?

If they win the series then, well, a Finals victory covers a lot of ills.

Jonm1010

Banned
The point is that he still has the credentials to draw the same criticism.

Lesser players than LeBron that have accomplished way more than Curry probably ever will (Kobe) have been fucking killed in the media for putting up shit tier games in the playoffs/finals. Ex: Kobe shooting 6-24 in game 7 of the finals despite still leading his team to the win. Harden got absolutely crucified for shitting it up in the elimination game against the Warriors. The only difference between Harden's performance and Steph Curry's is that Curry actually has a team that can carry him if need be so that the Warriors can remain in the game; see Klay Thompson getting red hot in game 2.

All mostly true but Lebron is just as guilty(if not more so) as the media for building up these unrealistic expectations. He relished in the hype and the caricature of King James, fed the hype machine with his decisions, championship proclamations and some of the drama he clearly plays up. He set the tone ultimately by how the public was going to measure him. You roll and embrace being crowned the king and you are going to get compared to the previous kings(Kobe and MJ). You make championship proclamations and act like your presence will bring 7 rings and people are going to measure how well you lived up to the spirit of that.

Curry has been smart to just keep his mouth shut and keep the cocky to a much lower decibel. Praise the team and his teammates. And his career trajectory has been one of a slow rise riddled with turmoil so he is going to not have the same expectations. But I do think he will be chastised greatly if he doesn't turn around his performance.

Harden got crucified because it has become a running theme of his career and unfortunately doesn't have the supporting cast to carry him.

random25

Love is a perfect example of an overrated player. He puts up "superstar" stats, but the dude never even managed to sniff a playoff spot as the top dog in the Wolves squad. He's Mr. Tough Pills.

Lol. You don't know what you're talking about, YNB is a horrible defender. Stop throwing shit at the wall.

CP3 is great, Beverly is great, Conley is good. Curry never played the 1st 2 in the playoffs and the other was hurt. Even the starting PG for NO was hurt. That's all Curry has played. Backup and hurt PGs.

Stop embarrassing yourself dude. YNB is athletically gifted enough to play pretty good defense when he focuses. Why are you focusing on this playoffs? Curry has been in the league for years and played in the playoffs before. Did curry just fall from the sky in mid April of this year? So laughable.

Godslay

Banned
LeBron and Curry are on different tiers.

So of course when Curry chokes/disappears/has bad games, the disappointment and criticism isn't going to be as hot as it is when LeBron does it.

The way it is right now is that LeBron is a living legend. Curry's a pretty good player who has potential to be great. He's had one great season to LeBron's many. So in a way I'm not surprised he's getting a free pass initially. It's as it should be.

If Curry continues to have a bad series though, I think the voices of criticism will grow louder and louder.

Champagne

Banned
Well the expectations are different. Lebron gets compared to Jordan and is routinely discussed with the all-time greats. Curry was on a 20 win team a few years ago. Just different situations.

I doubt Curry will get a free pass if the Warriors lose, though. I mean I was watching PTI yesterday and one of the first topics was how bad Curry was.
It's cute that you completely ignored the first half of my post that addressed the differing expectations.

Curry might not be playing well so far but i'll never forgive Lebron scoring 8 points against the Mavs. Blew the last completely healthy season that wade had when he up and disappeared in those finals.

I think Curry should be criticized for having a poor game 2 (choking away the last possession and going cold in OT sucks- but he did tie the game up on his own). It's hard to paint Curry as a choke artist though because he's been hitting big shots throughout his basketball career.

zychi

Banned
Wonderful article by Jackie MacMullan on how the Spurs' 2014 championship run changed the course of the NBA.

Warning: It's a bit of a read

A whole year later and its changed the landscape? Jackie is usually decent, but this is an ESPN hyperbole article. Spurs got jobbed by the time keeper and ref, and would still be in it if that didnt happen.

Warriors will be down 10+ after the first quarter
if they were shook at home, imagine tonight

lol delly

if last game was Klay still recovering from a concussion then he needs to give curry whatever he's using to get over it because the guy was playing lights out for most of the night

Abounder

Banned
I think Curry should be criticized for having a poor game 2 (choking away the last possession and going cold in OT sucks- but he did tie the game up on his own). It's hard to paint Curry as a choke artist though because he's been hitting big shots throughout his basketball career.

Nah the Finals is what really decides if a player is a choke artist or not

Problem for Curry is that he's the shortest person on the court, if the defenses are keyed in then he's going need help to get separation

Reading through this thread it feels like a giant Poe's Law social experiment. I can't tell who is trolling or serious anymore lol

Can't wait for tonight

Fjordson

It's cute that you completely ignored the first half of my post that addressed the differing expectations.
I guess I'm just not really sure what you're trying to say. Kobe is kind of like Lebron in that there isn't really a comparison to Curry. He had 3 rings by his 6th year in the league so his expectations have been way higher than Curry's for over a decade.

Harden's elimination game performance was emphasized because some people saw it as an extension of his finals performance a few years ago (and it was an elimination game). Also, he had the most turnovers in NBA playoff history. Like it was literally a historically bad game. If Curry turns in a performance like that when the Warriors are facing elimination I doubt he would get a pass.

All that being said, I don't even disagree that people are easier on Curry. He was the small Davidson kid with paper ankles and now he's the MVP. Think it's been obvious for a while now that people (and some of the media) enjoy his story and the differences between his rise and Lebron's are numerous and pretty clear. I mean this was Lebron in high school:

0218_large.jpg

This was Curry:

stephen-curry.jpg

see5harp

if last game was Klay still recovering from a concussion then he needs to give curry whatever he's using to get over it because the guy was playing lights out for most of the night

Klay needs to play the majority of the first quarter without going out early with 2 fouls. That's been a major issue.

Kanguro

Neo Member
DUBS @ HOME
100.6 ppg (8th)
45.4 FG% (8th)
103.5 off rating (9th)

DUBS ON ROAD
108.6 ppg (1st)
45.9 FG% (2nd)
110.4 off rating (1st)

ok.

This is interesting and weird at the same time. Interesting because I've been thinking for a while that the Dubs ridiculously hyped home crowd somehow works against them at times, particularly when they're mounting any kind of run and the crowd is progressively getting louder. You'll see Draymond Green in particular start going for spectacular passes or "killer" threes that aren't really good plays except that if they work they would blow the roof off the place.

At the same time it's weird because the Dubs have been almost invincible at home... doesn't really compute with their record.

Fjordson

This is interesting and weird at the same time. Interesting because I've been thinking for a while that the Dubs ridiculously hyped home crowd somehow works against them at times, particularly when they're mounting any kind of run and the crowd is progressively getting louder. You'll see Draymond Green in particular start going for spectacular passes or "killer" threes that aren't really good plays except that if they work they would blow the roof off the place.

At the same time it's weird because the Dubs have been almost invincible at home... doesn't really compute with their record.
Totally agree lol. They've had a great home record, but they also seem to play to the crowd a bit sometimes and do dumb stuff at home. Sounds kind crazy, but it really seems that way sometimes.

Stop embarrassing yourself dude. YNB is athletically gifted enough to play pretty good defense when he focuses. Why are you focusing on this playoffs? Curry has been in the league for years and played in the playoffs before. Did curry just fall from the sky in mid April of this year? So laughable.

Show me the bullshit stats that you like to flaunt around for everything or hold your L. What defensive metrics has YNB as a good defender? Also which quality defender has Curry faced so far that was healthy?

I will ignore you weak attempt of trying to compare the regular season defense with the playoffs.

thehypocrite, do you believe in math as a thing or did numbers ruin your childhood? I've never seen someone so openly dismissive of statistics as you are in these NBA threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom