• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
Great Finals so far. Lebron is playing lights out, but it's still Lebron. He's due for a bad game.

No dog in this race....just want a good Finals to end the season. But sure, the Cavs winning it all would be great for the meltdowns. Probably going to cheer for GSW next game to keep the series interesting.

So what Gaffer was at the game with their girlfriend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOw95bLv1dQ

See, this is why I'm rooting for the Cavs. The salt will be palpable if they win.

Looking backing at this play last night I didn't notice the moving screens.
https://instagram.com/p/3vDfXmxh_b/

I noticed it as it happened. I actually yelled at the HDTV for the refs to open their eyes. Shit was so blatant.

this series is due for one really bad blowout and i suspect the cavs are winded as all hell from last nights game. So betting cavs next game seems like a good way to part with your money

Yeah, I'd love to know what all went down on that plane visit. Lebron had all the leverage, though, so I'm guessing the conditions were:
1. Complete control over his contract / future - being able to opt-out after a year and always stay maxed. He gets paid and has more pull in his respective organization than anyone in the league.
2. Trading for a third all-star, but probably Kevin Love specifically. Also, bringing in his boys even if all they do is keep control of the locker room and give him pep-talks (Miller, Perkins).
3. Dan Gilbert agreeing to pay whatever luxury tax he needs to to keep the talent Lebron wants. This was a big deal after Mike Miller was amnestied.
4. Guarantee of an ownership stake after Lebron retires.
5. Being actually crowned king of northern Ohio at some point after seceding from the United States.

5 is actually quite doable, I've heard.

Really tempted to put a few hundred on the cavs for the next game. I expected them to be slight favorites at home but this would make a cavs win tolerable.

I'm petty sure the line is GS by 2.

Having both Tristian Thompson and Kevin Love potentially as free agents will be interesting for the Cavs.

can you teach a young guy like Love how to play hard defense? like, can that be done? Because if not, I'm not hot on him staying in CLE to be perfectly honest. We could get someone else with that cap space. If TT is okay with coming off the bench, pay him a fair amount and go get a starter who can play offense and defense. Millsap will be a free agent, right? I'd rather have him than Love.

can you teach a young guy like Love how to play hard defense? like, can that be done? Because if not, I'm not hot on him staying in CLE to be perfectly honest. We could get someone else with that cap space. If TT is okay with coming off the bench, pay him a fair amount and go get a starter who can play offense and defense. Millsap will be a free agent, right? I'd rather have him than Love.

Who would you get though?

I mean, it could be a moot point if he ends up opting in but it's not like this year's free agent class is loaded with talent.

hbkdx12

The 4th quarter referee fuckery that's on prominent display in this series/playoffs/sport is just embarrassing.

What exactly is the procedure for reviewing a play?

I don't understand why it's not structured like the nfl where reviewing/challenging a play is up to the teams and if the play stands then they lose a timeout. This seems fair from just about all angles.

The way it is now, it seems like refs review a play whenever the hell they feel like it because...reasons and while they're standing around holding their dicks for 5 minutes, teams are getting a free timeout.

The whole thing just screams idiotic with zero coordination or consistency

Anyone have any insight as to how/why/when plays get reviewed? Genuinely curious

See, this is why I'm rooting for the Cavs. The salt will be palpable if they win.

That's been the most entertaining part for me. Most my bball fan friends on my Facebook wasted no time adopting GSW this year after it was apparent the Blazers wouldn't make a decent run this year. The bandwagon wheels are falling off and I'm just entertained. I don't really care who wins in the end but Lebron has been putting more into this series than anyone. Let's see if he can keep it up.

I'm petty sure the line is GS by 2.

No you can't really. If you extend TT with Bron coming back and Kyrie's extension kicked in they aren't gonna have much space. This is why I said it was interesting, they could let Love walk but it's not like they can take his $20 million salary and sign someone else with it. Maybe they resign both guys and try and flip Love? Not sure that will work and it will push them into expensive tax territory.

Fuck it, I think I'm gonna do it. Last time a chance similar to this came to me I regretted not doing it.

Delly is gonna have jelly legs for sure though. Dude's gonna be doing the stanky leg on defense all game. But whatever, anything can happen might as well let it ride.

Who would you get though?

I mean, it could be a moot point if he ends up opting in but it's not like this year's free agent class is loaded with talent.

I like Millsap a lot. Similar game to Love's, but a bit stronger physically. Then there's Aldridge that they could make an offer to. If any big is deserving of the max this summer, it's him. Imagine a guy like that on LeBron's team...holy shit.

I still don't mind Love if he tried harder on defense. He's developed some bad habits and I hope he's mentally learning from TT, Shump and JR as players who went from below average defenders to above average defenders on this team. Even Irving went from being known as a turnstyle to a solid defender when healthy. Love always played, but could rarely be accused of playing hard on the defensive end. He was great for rebounds, but slow to rotate on switches, slow to the ground on loose balls and slow to get a hand up. If Love comes to training camp with a new resolve to fuck people up, I'll love him like a bag of skittles. If he plays like he played for a lot of 2015...I just think we can do better. So I'd love for him to stay and get rugged as fuck, channeling all the Thor molecules & shit. But if he's not about that rugged lifestyle, he can get the fuck on somewhere else. Rough and rugged play got us to the Finals.

No you can't really. If you extend TT with Bron coming back and Kyrie's extension kicked in they aren't gonna have much space. This is why I said it was interesting, they could let Love walk but it's not like they can take his $20 million salary and sign someone else with it. Maybe they resign both guys and try and flip Love? Not sure that will work and it will push them into expensive tax territory.
I see. That is indeed interesting. Or maybe Gilbert is okay with putting some of that extra Quicken money into the tax, in which case the conversation is moot.

Redd

I can't be the only person wishing for a 30 point JR Fuckball game tomorrow, right?

I want to see a Curry game when he's got his touch and if the Cavs can adjust accordingly. Or a three point shootout between Jr Smith and Curry. Who goes cold first loses.

It's been an amazing series and doesn't even feel real. I remember lots of GAFers predicting a Warriors sweep and for them to win games by 30. Guess that didn't happen. But I love even more that the pro-Golden State crowd kept saying that the "Lebron factor" was not a good argument on why they Cavs could win. Yet the Lebron factor and the Cavs defense are the only two reasons why they are up. Here you have Lebron with a now worse team than he had in '07 (post Kyrie injury) and was swept with, and now no matters what happens next, they have at least taken it to 6. I guess the difference is that the Cavs have a much better coach now than Mike Brown, Lebron is in his prime, and the Warriors are no Spurs.

I feel that the Cavs have to go up 3-1 to win the series. That would give them plenty of breathing room. I really don't like the idea of a game 7 in Oakland as a Cavs fan.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wiggins for Love was absolutely the right move at the time and it still is even now. You don't pair 30-year old Lebron and Kyrie together only to rely on a rookie who MAY become a superstar 3-4 seasons from now as your third option.

LeBron's only 30, they have a coach new to the NBA, it's not a KG to Boston "we have to win now" kind of situation. This isn't the last year of some closing window. It seemed like a hasty move then, and was never universally applauded.

LeBron's only 30, they have a coach new to the NBA, it's not a KG to Boston "we have to win now" kind of situation. This isn't the last year of some closing window. It seemed like a hasty move then, and was never universally applauded.

It was the move LeBron wanted. ANd if you are Cleveland at that point you do what LeBron wants. From that angle I take it as LeBron saying to the Cavs "Look, your shitty organization has had 3 first overall picks in 5 years, and that's not a good thing. I don't trust you to develop and evaluate young players so trade that pick for someone I can play with"

LosDaddie

Banned
That's been the most entertaining part for me. Most my bball fan friends on my Facebook wasted no time adopting GSW this year after it was apparent the Blazers wouldn't make a decent run this year. The bandwagon wheels are falling off and I'm just entertained. I don't really care who wins in the end but Lebron has been putting more into this series than anyone. Let's see if he can keep it up.

Yup. I have 4 Heat fans on my social media feed who are having a rough time right now.

Other than watching somt great basketball being played, what else is there to watch for besides the meltdowns? Nothing

th

Man I irrationally love watching JR Smith play.

I can't be the only person wishing for a 30 point JR Fuckball game tomorrow, right?

I dunno, JR has just been kind of weird this finals. It's hard to explain but it's like he's been really uptight this series, I don't know if its being in the big spotlight of the finals or what.

I mean he's taking tough shots, but it's almost like he's taking things seriously which makes him boring. I know this is hyperbole it's just odd watching him play like this.

th

Man I irrationally love watching JR Smith play.

If Kerr changes his strategy and starts bringing doubles on LeBron, JR will have an opportunity to Swish.

I think Kerr needs to do so and roll the dice. See if these other CLE scrublets can beat his Warriors. Letting LBJ single-handedly (well, along with TT) control the tempo of the entire game isn't giving GS an opportunity to play their game at all and as a result, they've trailed about 75% of the time in these games...and in the case of last night, they never lead for a single second.

4 fast-break points in that last game. FOUR. Probably not many more than that in the other 2 games either. That's LBJ forcing half court play and TT preventing their opportunity to get out and transition (they need 3 people on the glass to try to out-rebound him). Force him to pass the ball instead of letting him pound the rock for 19 seconds.

zychi

Banned

It was a GM Bron move. I could see a sign and trade for Love to somewhere.

One has to wonder what she was thinking when she decided to say it in the first place.

she forgot she wasnt on the internet.

e2: reading that sbnation article. the cavs are doing what miami did to SAS a few years ago. Making Leonard do what Green needs to do. Only Green isn't scoring.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It was the move LeBron wanted. ANd if you are Cleveland at that point you do what LeBron wants. From that angle I take it as LeBron saying to the Cavs "Look, your shitty organization has had 3 first overall picks in 5 years, and that's not a good thing. I don't trust you to develop and evaluate young players so trade that pick for someone I can play with"

I guess it appeased LeBron initially, but they never became a one-two punch, and the team's been playing fine without him.

Like, what if LeBron wanted Jheri curl Baron Davis leaving puddles all over the floor for Kyrie to slip all over?

It's like when the Pistons took Darko. Yeah, they won one (more than Cleveland for now), but could they have won two or three if they had Carmelo, Bosh, or Wade on that squad? Maybe they would have won zero. Who knows. Drafting Darko was a mistake though.

Jag

Yup. I have 4 Heat fans on my social media feed who are having a rough time right now.

It's been rough watching this as a Heat fan. I still love Lebron, just don't want to see those shitty Cavs fan gloat over a trophy after they named him Judas.

m3k

Thread title change is the best change

Anyway interesting series with the injuries and golden states chokiness... I hope they win one away from home to stretch out the series

As a Knicks fan I hope jr and shump have good games, lol them having rings would make me happy lol

qcf x2

I dunno, JR has just been kind of weird this finals. It's hard to explain but it's like he's been really uptight this series, I don't know if its being in the big spotlight of the finals or what.

I mean he's taking tough shots, but it's almost like he's taking things seriously which makes him boring. I know this is hyperbole it's just odd watching him play like this.

He's not even dribbling the ball up court off of defensive rebounds, lol. He's like "where's Lebron? Here bud!" ... it's like he's so scared to make a mistake. And then he takes a horrible shot or misses a defensive assignment, lol. He's trying so hard to not make stupid mistakes, you can see the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom