• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in the conference finals. Regular season doesn't mean anything when playoff comes.

They didn't shoot lights out against the Rockets? They won the first two by close margins, but then won by freaking 35!

Respect the technique, yo. They had an easy road because they curbstomped the shit out of people on the back of Curry. He gets rolling, it's bad news.

I'd also argue that the regular season absolutely does matter, because without that two week break I don't think LeBron's got the juice to make this run

Not in the conference finals. Regular season doesn't mean anything when playoff comes.

Memphis and the Rockets are better than any of the top 5 teams in the eastern conference, besides maybe the cavaliers. They aren't pushovers by any means.The warriors are the best team in the NBA, and we've only played 3 games of this series. Depending on what happens the narrative can dramatically change. If the Cavs win its a total domination series by them, if the Warriors win they have the advantage being tied 2-2 and regaining home court advantage.

jman2050

It's a shame Tony Allen's injury ruined what could have been a competitive series between GS and Memphis. Definitely think Memphis could have stolen it.

It's a shame Tony Allen's injury ruined what could have been a competitive series between GS and Memphis. Definitely think Memphis could have stolen it.

Yeah, I wonder how the rockets would have fared not having two of their starters injured, who were great in the regular season (Dmo and Beverley). They had some serious depth issues throughout the playoffs. I'd imagine they wouldn't have ran out of steam like they did and it would have gone to six games at least.

Cheebo

Banned
I guess? I mean at any given time in the NBA there's going to be a "one of the greats of all time" playing. Has there ever not been?
No? Between MJ and LeBron coming into his own we had nothing at this level. We convinced ourselves Kobe was but that is clearly not the case looking back.

zychi

Banned
MVP is a body of work award for the season and Lebron didn't have it over Harden or Curry. Nothing off about that.

He's still better than both those two by a mile but everyone knew that anyway.

Bron is the best player in the world. No question.

Curry and Harden were the MVPs of the NBA for the entire year. Curry had a record breaking season, and usually the team with the best record at the end of the season has the MVP on their team.

Jonm1010

Banned
No? Between MJ and LeBron coming into his own we had nothing at this level. We convinced ourselves Kobe was but that is clearly not the case looking back.
howarddealwithit.gif

do people just forget Duncan exists?

CD'S BAR

even if you're not down with Kobe you've still got Duncan and Shaq roughly the same era. That is of course unless you consider Lebron to be omg the goat then I suppose you're correct.. I'm just talking like top 8 or top 10 all time players.

Jonm1010

Banned
I agree. I've met him and his family, all really great people. I hope AD23 comes back to Chicago when his contract is up. His house is like 35 mins from the city.
No offense but your ownership and GM continue to make it hard to see your organization in a good light..... Not that that stopped Lebron from going home.

He won't be going anywhere until his next contract is up(won't leave roughly 40 mil on the table that we can offer him other can't) but if we don't chip between now and then I think all bets are off.. He seems to love it here but you can never tell.

zychi

Banned
No offense but your ownership and GM continue to make it hard to see your organization in a good light..... Not that that stopped Lebron from going home.

He won't be going anywhere until his next contract is up(won't leave roughly 40 mil on the table that we can offer him other can't) but if we don't chip between now and then I think all bets are off.. He seems to love it here but you can never tell.

I agree, Bulls ownership is shit, so is the GM.
Same for the Bears.
Same for the White Sox(same ownership as Bulls)

So I know, but I can always hope.

Apparently this is first time in 7 years Lebron has been this big of an underdog at home in the odds makers. Assuming last time was against the Celtics in 2008 or something.

Ninjimbo

do people just forget Duncan exists?
Not really. For whatever reason, a lot of NBA fans don't revere the big man the same way they do guards. Maybe it's because it's a less flashy position or maybe it's because more people identify with little guys. I don't really know.

A skilled big man is fun to watch. How many of those do we have in the league though?

zychi

Banned
Not really. For whatever reason, a lot of NBA fans don't revere the big man the same way they do guards. Maybe it's because it's a less flashy position or maybe it's because more people identify with little guys. I don't really know.

A skilled big man is fun to watch. How many of those do we have in the league though?

Duncan isn't really that big. He's 6'11 250, Bron is 6'8 250

Duncan was just consistent. His team destroyed Bron the first time, and would have 3 wins against Bron if not for a Ray Allen 3.

Jonm1010

Banned

I think it has more to do with the flash then the personal identifying. I mean who honestly identifies with 6'8 250lb HGH(likely) assisted Lebron James?

Shaq is another that honestly was an all time great in between the MJ and Lebron era.

I mean Shaq even passed the MJ test of having the league write new rules because of you. Except with Shaq they literally had to make it harder for big men because he was so dominant.

maladroid

I think so, too. Pelis with a broken Jrue Holiday. Memphis with a broken-face Conley and injured Allen. Houston missing Motiejunas and Beverley. Now the Cavs without Love or Irving (and Half a Shumpert). It's been a dream run for the Dubs. Wonder if they have enough heart to level the series.

I like Wayne Gretzky's on Blue Jays Way and Mercer St. It's hype as fuck if enough people are there but even if it's quiet their TVs are great and you always have a solid view.

edit: the food is whatever. I usually just order a beer.
that's actually surprisingly close to where I'm gonna be staying, so Wayne Gretzky's it is!

(I'm actually covered in the food department, so I might just get hammered.
this becomes definite if Cleveland starts losing
)

Here's a crazy thought: it's been reported that Steve Nash had an offer to back up Kyrie at the trade deadline, but declined out of "loyalty to the Lakers" or something dumb.

Let me say as a basketball fan and a Lakers fan, I'd much rather Nash had left and rode the pine to get his ring. He never got to the Finals and he could be playing 10 minutes off the bench in the finals right now, what with all the injuries to the Cavs.

Same situation happened with Karl Malone in 04-05 and Reggie Miller in 07-08; both had offers to be a veteran influence on teams that went on to win the title. Such a shame.

Here's a crazy thought: it's been reported that Steve Nash had an offer to back up Kyrie at the trade deadline, but declined out of "loyalty to the Lakers" or something dumb.

Let me say as a basketball fan and a Lakers fan, I'd much rather Nash had left and rode the pine to get his ring. He never got to the Finals and he could be playing 10 minutes off the bench in the finals right now, what with all the injuries to the Cavs.

Same situation happened with Karl Malone in 04-05 and Reggie Miller in 07-08; both had offers to be a veteran influence on teams that went on to win the title. Such a shame.

I don't get this type of sympathy to players who have long careers without championship success.

Especially when a lot of those players are just doing what is best financially for them to stay at a bad team rather than take a pay cut to play on a contending team.

Cavs need to start agressive against the dubs and stay agressive. LeBron needs to set the tone early and often & not allow the players to relax.

Let's go Cavs!!!

CD'S BAR

The guy didn't play a single game for the lakers all season because of injury. How could he be playing in the finals right now? Didn't he have nerve damage in his back or something. Doesn't seem like something that could heal too quickly if at all.

ampere

Can the Cavs keep this pace up. If they can play with the same ferocity they have been, I say Cavs take another close win. Otherwise I think GS takes a close game

The guy didn't play a single game for the lakers all season because of injury. How could he be playing in the finals right now? Didn't he have nerve damage in his back or something. Doesn't seem like something that could heal too quickly if at all.

He's said that he retired because he couldn't play a full season anymore, that maybe his body was good for one game a week. Made it sound like he could still pull off a "Steve Kerr on the 03 Spurs" role if he wanted.

But even if he couldn't play, neither is Brendan Haywood or Shawn Marion, even though the Cavs are short handed. Nash could be DNP'ing his way to a ring right now!

BigDug13

What's being said here?

It looks like what's being said is that they've had about as many open looks in their shots as they've had against everyone else in the playoffs. It's not like they're being extra thrown-off by defender hands in their face on their shots during the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom