• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks everyone is overrating Tristan Thompson to some extent? Yes he's extremely strong on the offensive glass, but at the same time he scored 2 points playing more minutes than anyone (including Lebron). Even without all the Lebron iso's, he still barely does anything on offense besides going for rebounds.
He's basically the definition of average.

GM Bron giving him a max this summer tho.

Ill say this: Im just glad that my spurs beat a fully functional Heat team last year. There are no asterisks on that championship. My fear is that when GS does eventually win that people (sports analysts and fans) are gonna be all "well they played a banged up Cavs team). GS has been the best team all year and beat a Cavs squad with Lebron going off, being down by double digits twice, and while playijg like shit. No one really went off for them. They showed none of their efficiency, shooting accuracy, ball movement and defense last night and they still won. I hope they have shaked off their Game 1 Finals jitters and blow this thing wide open.

Why is it a fear if it's true? If Kyrie is out and Love is already out, you don't consider that a banged up team? You wouldn't be putting an asterisk on the Cavs if Golden State had the same level of injuries? Come on.

I think that GS will 4-1 this series. GS has too many weapons. Curry can check out and they'll still win, especially since Love is gone and Kyrie won't last.

I do love Curry's skillset with those handles and shot, he's just unstoppable if he chooses to be.

I think the Cavs had their best chance for a win last night, with Kyrie still being somewhat functional. Now, he's totally injured and even more of a liability on defense if he gets back out there. And I don't expect GS to have too many more slow starts like the ones they had last night.

If the series is 2-0 by the end of Sunday night I give the cavs 0 chance to avoid a sweep.

I'm the same. Don't deny the King's greatness and I love to watch it. But fuck the Cavs.

Same, I've no qualms with lebron anymore. But fuck Cleveland, they shitted on him for leaving then he comes back and they act like they didn't make a fool of themselves. Not to mention the owner acting like a fucking child with that letter. They basically had the east handed to them in a silver platter this season.

Golden state's defense is perfect. They just need to get their offense back on track to make it even more effective. Their offense has to force Lebron to chuck shots to get them out of a deep hole. He can back down and run time off the shot clock all day if its a tight 5 point game or he's up by a few points.

You want the Lebron from OT who jacks up 3s.

yoplay

I guarantee if Irving is out for the series, Lebron will check out and primarily pass the ball despite the fact that he can get buckets in the low post. Smh.

That alone proves that Kerr isn't just some lucked out coach who's only deriving benefit from a good team. He is making good adjustments, and I said early on he needs to copy Pop's playbook and dare LeBron to play iso jumper all game. Even if he does drop points like he did tonight, as long as the other shooters are out of it the plan is a success.

I think Kerr also told his players to reach in when Harden starts dribbling and that's how they were able to get a lot of steals in the last game against the Rockets. He seems legit .

I thought Shumpeet should have taken more shots. He was hitting his early threes but the he just stopped shooting . I would like to see more of feeding the ball to the Clevand center and see what he can do in the post.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ill say this: Im just glad that my spurs beat a fully functional Heat team last year. There are no asterisks on that championship. My fear is that when GS does eventually win that people (sports analysts and fans) are gonna be all "well they played a banged up Cavs team). GS has been the best team all year and beat a Cavs squad with Lebron going off, being down by double digits twice, and while playijg like shit. No one really went off for them. They showed none of their efficiency, shooting accuracy, ball movement and defense last night and they still won. I hope they have shaked off their Game 1 Finals jitters and blow this thing wide open.

I don't think this really happens. Golden State can only beat the the teams in front of them, that banged up Cavs team still beat a more-or-less healthy Bulls team and well, whatever the Hawks were. Yes champion teams get breaks but that happens every year. Remember when the Bulls looked like a steamroller and then Rose's knee blew up? That sort of thing. No asterisks.

I don't think this really happens. Golden State can only beat the the teams in front of them, that banged up Cavs team still beat a more-or-less healthy Bulls team and well, whatever the Hawks were. Yes champion teams get breaks but that happens every year. Remember when the Bulls looked like a steamroller and then Rose's knee blew up? That sort of thing. No asterisks.

I'm still salty we had an injured Ariza and Bynum in 2008 vs. the Czzz and had to have Luke Walton and Vlad Rad trying to guard Wheelchair Pierce.

Jag

I thought Shumpeet should have taken more shots. He was hitting his early threes but the he just stopped shooting . I would like to see more of feeding the ball to the Clevand center and see what he can do in the post.

That's the tradeoff when your star hits 40+ points, less touches for the outside shooters. Pick which poison you can live with and leaving it with Lebron to shoot works more often than not.

Ape

Banned
Calling it, Lebron will have his headband on next game.
Will tie the game 1-1.

Will accept being a shitlord if wrong (on both counts) :p

at least we can stop hearing about how the cavs are going to storm in and take the first game.

i thought the cavs would take 1 game, but maybe it was the first game. they just couldn't though. the warriors are too good. I'm going sweep. Warriors in 4.

Jonm1010

Banned
Meh, playing russian roulette is more a gamble than anything. Don't know if I call that smart after just 1 game.
It's the Russell Westbrook with no Durant game plan. Let the guy dominant the offense for three and half quarters, pressure him defensively but focus on keeping his outlets out of the game. Exerting all his energy scoring and trying to be the hero, leaving his teammates out of rhythm and tuned out when they are suddenly needed late in the game because their star is gassed. That or the gassed star still tries to win but his shots begin to fall short and he can't out shoot the other team any more.

It took til overtime in game 1 for it to fully materialize but I can't see Lebron having 38 attempts on 47% the rest of the series.

With all that said GS really should of kept that shit to themselves. Sure the Cavs probably speculated but now it's bulletein board material for the rest of the time feeling slighted.

The issue with spreading the touches is that GSW is best defensively when the ball is moving. It nets them more steals which leads to more fast breaks. So iso ball is actually a decent strategy, to slow them down and reduce your risks offensively.

The only thing is that with Kyrie appearing to be out, JR reverting back to his mean, well, Lebron can't be the entirety of your offense. And Lebron seemed gassed when OT came around while those young upstarts on the Ws side looked like they were just starting a pickup game at the park. They'll take Lebron scoring 50-60 points if that means the rest of the offense is nonexistent.

Jimrpg

As a warriors fan, don't matter what other people think if it's asterisked or not. If they win it, they beat everybody fair and square. They didn't cheat or do anything like that.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Not sure why the warriors don't pressure LeBron when he walks the ball up the floor. Make him work and delay getting into what constitutes an offense for them for another 4-5 seconds. If the Cavs want him to do everything I'd make him pay for it every step of the way.

Jonm1010

Banned

I don't know. For whatever reason(I could probably narrow many down to people still thinking high paced, guard dominated, jump shooting teams can't win it all) people are reluctant to crown GS. Up until last night you still had people basically calling them frauds, about to get exposed. For those people( more people then should exist) I think it will just shift to a new narrative of GS being a flash in the pan team or lucking into a championship.

bionic77

Not sure why the warriors don't pressure LeBron when he walks the ball up the floor. Make him work and delay getting into what constitutes an offense for them for another 4-5 seconds. If the Cavs want him to do everything I'd make him pay for it every step of the way.
Whatever they did last night worked perfectly.

They made him into a jump shooter into most of the game. He made a lot of them last night but you are ok as a defender if he beats you that way. He was not getting into the paint and wrecking havoc the way he normally does.

Hope Irving is healthy. I wanted to see what Blatt was made of. As much as people shit on him I think he did a pretty good job with the Cavs in the playoffs considering all of their injuries. I still think Kerr is a better coach but if Irving is out we won't get to really see much of that.

3rdman

Meh, playing russian roulette is more a gamble than anything. Don't know if I call that smart after just 1 game.

Huh? They aren't gambling here...they are making a calculated choice. Lebron (as amazing as he is) can't win a championship by himself and he is NOT going to outscore the team with the better offense over (7) games.

Consider the fact that he scored 44 points yesterday and that still wasn't enough...and now Irving is down. LOL.

If you pressure him with a single player then he outlets or charges up the court. if you double him in the backcourt he's a great passer and it will take the ball out of his hands. You want him walking it up and facing a set defense so he pounds the rock until late in the clock and then tries to back his man down.

As i have been saying since before the game, thats the plan.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
If you pressure him with a single player then he outlets or charges up the court. if you double him in the backcourt he's a great passer and it will take the ball out of his hands. You want him walking it up and facing a set defense so he pounds the rock until late in the clock and then tries to back his man down.

As i have been saying since before the game, thats the plan.

Light pressure just means more mental and physical work he has to do as well without compromising your defense at all. If he outlets and sprints that is more work he has to do. This will also give them less time to run their iso sets when they do get down to the other end. Warriors should make them pay every step of the way if they want to play hero ball.

What Spheights did in this game he's done all season. He's been reliable with shots when our bench needs scoring.

I've actually met him since he is from St. Pete Florida (which is where I am from :D). He came with some friends and was pretty quiet. He came to LA Fitness to play basketball and I played on his team and goddamn he dominated, which is not that surprising since he is an NBA player but still, he was hitting pull-up 3's and jumpers, and did a few dunks off spin moves lol

bionic77

that was a very kobe-esque performance from lebron

i expect better from him
Kobe would score 100 points if teams sagged off of him the way they do against Lebron.

They are different players and teams defend them differently. When you play Kobe your goal was to get the ball out of his hand and to live with bad shots (double or triple teamed in a bad spot, etc). With Lebron you want to keep him out of the paint so he can't pick your defense apart with passes to guys wide open for 3s. Teams were happy when Kobe passed the ball and get killed when Lebron passes it.

The game is also a lot different now than it was when Kobe played (for most of his prime). Before the Nash Suns no one really played like that (drive and dish for the wide open 3).

If they play a man on him up tight full-court, he's just gonna blow by and break down the D. Ends in a dish to open shooter if someone else jumps in or a trip to the FT line. If they send another man up court to help, that leaves the rest of the D exposed for Bron to pass, which is the opposite of making him expend energy and plays into his style.

Having him walk up the court and hold the ball is the ideal scenario. Give him a bit of space to prevent the drive. Allow him the jump shot if he wants...Ws will take a jumpshooting contest with him all day, every day. The only concern is if he decides to work his post up game.

Siegcram

Light pressure just means more mental and physical work he has to do as well without compromising your defense at all. If he outlets and sprints that is more work he has to do. This will also give them less time to run their iso sets when they do get down to the other end. Warriors should make them pay every step of the way if they want to play hero ball.
That's equally taxing for the defender and likely just messes with defensive assignments. Also leads to lots of cheap fouls. There's a reason you very rarely see full court press in the NBA.

bionic77

If they play a man on him up tight full-court, he's just gonna blow by and break down the D. Ends in a dish to open shooter if someone else jumps in or a trip to the FT line. If they send another man up court to help, that leaves the rest of the D exposed for Bron to pass, which is the opposite of making him expend energy and plays into his style.

Having him walk up the court and hold the ball is the ideal scenario. Give him a bit of space to prevent the drive. Allow him the jump shot if he wants...Ws will take a jumpshooting contest with him all day, every day. The only concern is if he decides to work his post up game.
With the current Cavs team you can live with that.

It is a lot easier to defend Bron on the block in the post than it is when he is in the paint going to the rim. Especially if you can get Lebron to post up late in the shot clock.

I still think the Cavs are one year away. Next year if they get a bench and can find some shooters who can play D to surround Lebron and Kyrie they will be one of the best teams in the league. I also see a big leap for OKC assuming Durant can come back 100%. They stuck with their stupid coach for way too long.

Great game last night but to me this series seems like a sweep is coming from warriors. I think they will adjust and come out doubling LeBron and do anything to get the ball out of his hands. And it doesn't look good for kyrie at all.

It would really change the legacy of LeBron if he can pull out and win this series with this team.

facelike

There are never asterisks when people talk about past championships, they only remember the W's & L's. Also, the reason Warriors are not as hurt as many of the teams is because of more balanced minutes throughout the year. Giving players rest helps prevents injuries....except for those freak ones. This healthy team is just a reflection of great coaching.

With the current Cavs team you can live with that.

It is a lot easier to defend Bron on the block in the post than it is when he is in the paint going to the rim. Especially if you can get Lebron to post up late in the shot clock.

I still think the Cavs are one year away. Next year if they get a bench and can find some shooters who can play D to surround Lebron and Kyrie they will be one of the best teams in the league. I also see a big leap for OKC assuming Durant can come back 100%. They stuck with their stupid coach for way too long.

Yep, just saying that would be LeBron's most effective move if he's put in that situation. Still don't think it'd be enough to beat the Warriors though.

Kinda disagree on the second part though...I think they actually had a better shot this year than they will next year. I suspect KLove will go elsewhere, they'll end up overpaying for TT, and the Cavs have historically been awful finding pieces to play with LeBron through FA. And sad to say, it looks like a season with injured Kyrie is more likely than a season with healthy Kyrie. That duo is lethal when they're both on the floor, but the Cavs will need to get lucky for that to happen for extended period of time.

EDIT: Not to mention that I think the East will also be better overall next year as well. It's not like they can get any worse at this point.

spyder_ur

Nah - he would just chuck no matter what.

If the warriors defensive scheme is so obvious now, I wonder what kind of adjustment the cavs will bring in game 2

I'm not sure they have to do that much different. They just have to shoot a little better. I do expect we'll see a little more LeBron off the ball and more Kyrie based PnRs.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them go small and play LeBron at the 4, taking Thompson off the floor for a few minutes to get another shooter in there.

otapnam

Dellavadova will try and "play harder".

Pray that JR is on the positive side of the standard deviation rather than the negative.

Haha. Mozgov had a decent game though. If they can figure out something with him there could be a threat.

I'm not sure they have to do that much different. They just have to shoot a little better. I do expect we'll see a little more LeBron off the ball and more Kyrie based PnRs.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them go small and play LeBron at the 4, taking Thompson off the floor for a few minutes to get another shooter in there.

Lol Kyrie is playing ?

Haha. Mozgov had a decent game though. If they can figure out something with him there could be a threat.

The problem for Cleveland is, I doubt the Warriors will play as shitty as they did to start the 1st quarter again in this series and miss as many bunnies as they did. This was, IMO, Cleveland's best chance to steal one.

bionic77

Using stats of old Kobe versus Lebron is a great way to start an honest debate.

Also, with the game on the line in OT Lebron deferred to that robot they got from Russia how many times instead of going out firing when his team needed him? That preserves his SG% and helps make for retarded stat arguments like this!

The truth is that unless you win you can never win when you are a superstar like Lebron or Kobe. If you pass and the scrub misses than you were afraid. If you shoot and you miss it than you are selfish.

spyder_ur

Pray that JR is on the positive side of the standard deviation rather than the negative.

That's really all it boils down to a lot of the time. If Kyrie or J.R. make a couple of those good open looks they got in the 4th, they probably win - particularly the one with 3:30 or so where JR missed a great look from the corner on a great set, leading to Curry's go ahead jumper.

The truth is that unless you win you can never win when you are a superstar like Lebron or Kobe. If you pass and the scrub misses than you were afraid. If you shoot and you miss it than you are selfish.

Those 2004-05 through 2006-07 rosters Kobe was on were brutal. I wasn't shocked dude was having all those 50 point games. Forget Smush and Kwamers...the entire teams were garbage.

Using stats of old Kobe versus Lebron is a great way to start an honest debate.

Also, with the game on the line in OT Lebron deferred to that robot they got from Russia how many times instead of going out firing when his team needed him? That preserves his SG% and helps make for retarded stat arguments like this!

if you go back to 2000, he's still a below average clutch shooter.

people just tend to remember the ones he made and forget the ones he missed, for whatever reason. Regardless, i just wanted let the air out of the argument that lebron's miss would've been Kobe's make. at Kobe's best, he's about as good as Lebron is when it comes to clutch shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom