• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think the Warriors should just stay the course on defense with Lebron. He made some tough shots and the refs were letting him do whatever in the post and he still shot under 50%. Not that he didn't have a great game, but this is a guy who's put up historic numbers as far as efficiency goes so under 50% ain't bad. And you could see how out of rhythm some of the other guys got after going long stretches without shots. Shumpert and JR looked shocked at times when they touched it on offense.

Just have to hope Klay can get to at least 40% shooting.

Pretty much a similar approach to the Houston series.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What's the update on Irving? Is he going to be able to play Game 2, banged up knee and all?

Because if he's done for the series, than goodbye CLE.

He was one of the big reasons they remained so close whose name isn't LBJ.

Initial diagnosis was no ACL/MCL tear. He's having an MRI done today. He and the Cavs are probably done.

Fjordson

Pretty much a similar approach to the Houston series.
Sort of yeah, even though Lebron can impose his will way more than Harden can. But I think if Kyrie is hampered and not likely to play as well or as efficiently going forward and Mozgov probably comes back down to earth a bit then GS can live with Lebron shooting it 35-40 times a game.

Just have to hope JR doesn't start chucking and catch fire.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Initial diagnosis was no ACL/MCL tear. He's having an MRI done today. He and the Cavs are probably done.

Cavs are already done. They've been done, but their date of death was extended a bit because the east is trash. The only question is whether they get a game.

ViciousDS

Banned
last night was probably Thompsons worst shooting night we were going to see this series due to the jitters......Don't expect him to shoot that shitty next game. Green also shot terribly. I can't see the Warriors starters being that bad next game now that the first one is behind them. Also Blatt is going to drain his players to the ground.....almost none of the bench even played for Cleveland. Kerr used his bench efficiently to give players plenty of rest during the game to come out swinging again.

Miller, Marion, Haywood, Perkins and Harris all can't be injured can they?

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
That's equally taxing for the defender and likely just messes with defensive assignments. Also leads to lots of cheap fouls. There's a reason you very rarely see full court press in the NBA.

How can a bunch of fans in an NBA thread not understand light pressure? You aren't sticking your hands in, you aren't body-ing up, you aren't overcommitting...and you have a wave of personnel to do this with while he is just one guy. If he runs by and tries to crash to the rim from beyond midcourt that is EXACTLY what you want...don't let them run the isos, speed the game up and have LeBron wear himself out. A game or two of this and he will mentally and physically cave...I just wouldn't let him do ANYTHING without working for it. Light pressure would be a great addition next game especially with Irving injured.

AnAnole

Iggy might be the best ISO wing defender in the league. He's certainly much better than Thompson, who is commonly praised for being a great defender. Harden was at his most efficient when guarded by Thompson. Iggy tanked Harden's efficiency all series. If LeBron is being guarded by Iggy, the Cavs need to try and set a screen to switch someone else onto LeBron if LeBron is going to try and win it with hero ball, especially at the end of games when he is fatigued.

Also, J.R. Smith probably cost the Cavs the game with his horrible gambling on defense. He's going to be streaky and have off nights from the perimeter, but Blatt needs to try and keep him from going full retard on defense, which you can't do against the Warriors without paying. Smith is a good defender when he just tried to stay in front of his man.

I think the Cavs still have a chance even if Irving is out if Smith and Shump can get hot from behind the arc. The Warriors still have no answers for Mozgov. Delly is an underrated defender and a good ball handler, and should be able to take some pressure off LeBron.

but seriously where is thehypocrite? I'm worried, he seems to have disappeared in the last 12 hours or so. I just want to make sure he's ok, that he's ready for Lebron to perform a gentleman's sweep and take over this series.

DopeToast

Banned
I'd love to have a fully healthy Irving and Love for this series, but oh well. The Warriors are a hell of a team. I hope we don't get swept.

I'm already looking to next year, and I think if Love stays and everyone stays relatively healthy then there is no reason we can't get back to the Finals for the next two or three years. Even getting just one championship in Cleveland with Lebron would do so much.

offtopic

I'd love to have a fully healthy Irving and Love for this series, but oh well. The Warriors are a hell of a team. I hope we don't get swept.

I'm already looking to next year, and I think if Love stays and everyone stays relatively healthy then there is no reason we can't get back to the Finals for the next two or three years. Even getting just one championship in Cleveland with Lebron would do so much.

tbh the Cavs are better with Thompson than Love. Although having Love as another option would be nice.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
tbh the Cavs are better with Thompson than Love. Although having Love as another option would be nice.

Not really. You can see it in this series. TT is way too offensively challenged. If he can develop an 18 footer (which he had been attempting to do the last few seasons), then maybe.

Fjordson

Iggy might be the best ISO wing defender in the league. He's certainly much better than Thompson, who is commonly praised for being a great defender. Harden was at his most efficient when guarded by Thompson. Iggy tanked Harden's efficiency all series. If LeBron is being guarded by Iggy, the Cavs need to try and set a screen to switch someone else onto LeBron if LeBron is going to try and win it with hero ball, especially at the end of games when he is fatigued.
Well there are multiple things that are true here.

a) Iguodala is a great defender
b) Klay is a very good defender

Klay's defense on Harden was tough to fault. He just hit a bunch of tough stepbacks. And Lebron can blast through almost anyone in the post, so the smaller Klay doesn't really have a chance. It was his defense on Kyrie that was pretty good.

AkuMifune

Banned
A lot of people are saying that, but the Warriors just proved you can beat the Cavs if you stop everyone else and let Lebron have his way. They need another outside threat on offense to make this a series. Flashes of shumpert and Smith isn't enough.

offtopic

Not really. You can see it in this series. TT is way too offensively challenged. If he can develop an 18 footer (which he had been attempting to do the last few seasons), then maybe.

When LeBron takes almost every shot anyways (and will miss >50% of them) all you want is a great rebounder and the best defender. Thompson is far better on the defensive end. Although they need to not switch him on Curry as that is a total mismatch.

Fjordson

Kinda random, but there was a loose ball late in the game that rolled between Dellavedova and Klay and I got really nervous. Delly looked like he was getting ready to launch into Klay's knees, but he held back once it was snatched up. Klay's career must have flashed before his eyes when he saw him coming.

bionic77

They should shut him down and take the decision away from him. Not what I want to see as a fan (I want to see more games like game 1) and horrible for the NBA but you have to look out for the kid and the future of the franchise.

Lets see how the Cavs handle it.

Kinda random, but there was a loose ball late in the game that rolled between Dellavedova and Klay and I got really nervous. Delly looked like he was getting ready to launch into Klay's knees, but he held back once it was snatched up. Klay's career must have flashed before his eyes when he saw him coming.

Delly knew he was in Oakland. Game 3 tho...

AnAnole

Well there are multiple things that are true here.

a) Iguodala is a great defender
b) Klay is a very good defender

Klay's defense on Harden was tough to fault. He just hit a bunch of tough stepbacks. And Lebron can blast through almost anyone in the post, so the smaller Klay doesn't really have a chance. It was his defense on Kyrie that was pretty good.

I'd say that Thompson is a + defender and Iggy is a +++ defender. Thompson isn't bad, but Iggy's superior length and athleticism put him well ahead of Thompson. Like Kawhi Leonard, you just can't mess around with the ball in front of Iguodala, but you can in front of Klay. Even if Klay can contest shots well, which he can, he still lets elite offensive wings get into rhythm and get to their spots. Iggy is much better at keeping these players away from their spots and out of rhythm.

Apparently Kyrie's dad was screaming and raving mad after the game. Kyrie's agent and the Cavs are bickering right now. Kyrie wants another MRI because he thinks its something more serious than just tendinitis.

but seriously where is thehypocrite? I'm worried, he seems to have disappeared in the last 12 hours or so. I just want to make sure he's ok, that he's ready for Lebron to perform a gentleman's sweep and take over this series.

He said he would be around if they lost and all I saw was a GG dubs right around the last minute of OT and he was running for the door after that.

Apparently Kyrie's dad was screaming and raving mad after the game. Kyrie's agent and the Cavs are bickering right now. Kyrie wants another MRI because he thinks its something more serious than just tendinitis.

Cavs don't care. Anything goes.

Ape

Banned
Love that another california team is winning a championship in a sport. Keep them over here.

Sucks for you rust belt people. Bron going to the finals is a good thing though, sucks that he's choking yet again. For you.

Maybe I'll get an ESPN INSIDER article that explains why the Cavs got swept. Something that will validate the 20 bucks a year or whatever they rip you people off for. Shit makes me laugh just thinking about it.

AnAnole

Tendonitis is weird. I've had foot tendinitis where I couldn't put any pressure on my foot without excruciating pain after going to bed the night before with mild pain, then the next day I was virtually pain free again and could run at full speed.

Fjordson

I'd say that Thompson is a + defender and Iggy is a +++ defender. Thompson isn't bad, but Iggy's superior length and athleticism put him well ahead of Thompson. Like Kawhi Leonard, you just can't mess around with the ball in front of Iguodala, but you can in front of Klay. Even if Klay can contest shots well, which he can, he still lets elite offensive wings get into rhythm and get to their spots. Iggy is much better at keeping these players away from their spots and out of rhythm.
That's true. Iggy is really good at poking the ball when guys are trying to iso with the dribble.

hitme

Kyrie getting his MRI now.

Jon Barry told Dan Patrick in his radio talk show that he heard a Cavs personnel say Kyrie is done for the Finals.

bionic77

Love that another california team is winning a championship in a sport. Keep them over here.

Sucks for you rust belt people. Bron going to the finals is a good thing though, sucks that he's choking yet again. For you.

Maybe I'll get an ESPN INSIDER article that explains why the Cavs got swept. Something that will validate the 20 bucks a year or whatever they rip you people off for. Shit makes me laugh just thinking about it.
This is why I quit the NBA threads.

God NBA Age used to be such an awesome place to post. Wonder why this place went full retard.

That's true. Iggy is really good at poking the ball when guys are trying to iso with the dribble.
I thought Shumpert played some amazing D last night.

He was picking everyones pocket and making it look easy.

Jag

Emotions run high after Irving's knee setback

There's been some tension between these two sides for weeks now. Irving's father and Wechsler, sources said, have been preaching caution with Irving and this knee issue. Naturally, they are focused on his long-term health and have concern that playing on a weakened knee -- what the Cavs have said publicly was a bad case of tendinitis -- could put him at risk of suffering a greater injury. Going to see Andrews was part of the entire group's efforts to get a full handle on what Irving was facing and get independent advice on the situation.

Of course on the other side, the Cavs want Irving to play as long as he's not seriously hurt. As Irving was limping through the start of the conference finals against the Hawks, it was easy to identify some mild friction. As Irving was preparing to get a second opinion, there was a sense he was being challenged to play through it.

Of course it is fucking Windhorst reporting it. Seriously this guy needs a gig with TMZ.

Fjordson

I thought Shumpert played some amazing D last night.

He was picking everyones pocket and making it look easy.
Yeah he did. He had some really nice strips as people were going up for shots.

The Cavs in general did some really good things on D. Even small things, like how they'd bring someone up to pressure Curry or whoever our point guard was when inbounding after a score. James Jones actually got a steal off that when someone threw a lazy inbounds pass because Jones was up pressuring Curry.

I don't think we can blame lebron too much for getting intimated by jj barea in 2011

I mean barea did sweep kobe and resulted in phil jackson getting booed at his last game at staples only to eventually be replaced by mike brown

Spinluck

Lol.

What.

You need to go back and watch some older Finals to see what him choking actually looks like.

I don't think we can blame lebron too much for getting intimated by jj barea in 2011

I mean barea did sweep kobe and resulted in phil jackson getting booed at his last game at staples only to eventually be replaced by mike brown

Continues to ignores posts about our teams going head to head. Even thekad's squad handed you an L in the Finals. LOL

So before I shove you down the Ignore hole from whence you came, I would not call his Game 1 performance "choking".

He played a hell of a game and select teammates didn't show up in OT. Thats how the ball rolled.

Im glad I don't frequent NBA GAF, I'd be pulling my hair out at all of the incredibly stupid shit that's posted.

it speaks to the talent of that team that even though that Heat team was basically the big 3 with wade and bron taking turns doing iso plays and everyone else being basically 10 day contract players that they came that close to winning a ring on their first year. Had lebron grown a pair and got his shit together they could've, too, but JJ put a rubber band on them and he shrank when needed the most. that team didn't really have an offensive flow, they just willed themselves to the finals. And that was back when the East still had some decent teams, not the shitshow we saw this year.

To give them credit, Dirk was godlike in those playoffs. Didn't he have one of the most efficient playoff runs in history? Shameful shit that Cuban did to him by not keeping that team together and letting Tyson leave.

So before I shove you down the Ignore hole from whence you came, I would not call his Game 1 performance "choking".

He played a hell of a game and select teammates didn't show up in OT. Thats how the ball rolled.

Im glad I don't frequent NBA GAF, I'd be pulling my hair out at all of the incredibly stupid shit that's posted.

You know who else didn't show up in OT?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

To be fair, you can have a great game but still choke in critical moments. See Tony Romo.

Eos

So scoring 44 points is a choke? foh

the cavs as a team scored 2 points in OT. You can put that on Lebron but what the fuck, you can't score 2 points in OT. you might as well have gone to the locker room when regulation ended.

23 year old Kyrie Irving is more injury-prone than 32 year old Dwyane Wade

he left miami because aging dwade was breaking down and couldn't play effective D anymore.

To play next to the younger Kyrie, who is broken down and can't play effective D anymore.

Eos

The object is to FINISH the game. Not score 42 in regulation and a garbage time 2 in OT.

LeBron played great...for 4 quarters...game was longer than that. :(

I didn't catch the game but I know they missed the last 12 FGs right? can't blame lebron for all that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom