• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS owners, what are you currently playing?

Almost finished Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (I'm in
Neo Bowser Castle
). I've really enjoyed it- some of the humor is pretty good and got me to chuckle, and the
giant Luigi battles
are amazing. I sorta wish there was less Dream World stuff though; I've been giving Mario all the good on-hit effect gear because of how frequent those sequences are.

I've gotta go back to Bravely Default afterward, but I left off somewhere in Chapter 4, and I hear that it's going to dip in quality after that...

Spirit Tracks, I forgot that I hadn't finished it, it's better than I remembered and I seem to have the American version since I got it from CEX, the EU box art is better, I might print a replacement.

Preach it, Spirit tracks is my second favourite zelda after links awakening, best princess zelda too .

maxcriden

Been messing around on Paper Mario: Sticker Star today and I completely forgot how amazingly well done the music is!
The sound test room you unlock is a godsend.

Do any other 3DS games have Jazz based scores?

I'm not sure if they do, but it's a really awesome soundtrack. 3DL and esp. 3DW also have jazzy soundtracks, but not to the degree that PM does.

Right now playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. I found some cheap copies of Rhythm Heaven and Dragon Quest IX on eBay so I'll probably play those next.

I hope you have better luck with RH than I did. An extremely charming game that I'm terrible at.

Oh I'm very excited to play other Zeldas, mostly the 3D ones. I won't even try to imagine how much better the dungeon design must've got since '98!

Some of them are not as good as OoT dungeons, but others are even better. I do hope the rumored Majora remake comes to 3DS soon, it'll be well worth waiting to play the game that way if so.

Almost finished Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (I'm in
Neo Bowser Castle
). I've really enjoyed it- some of the humor is pretty good and got me to chuckle, and the
giant Luigi battles
are amazing. I sorta wish there was less Dream World stuff though; I've been giving Mario all the good on-hit effect gear because of how frequent those sequences are.

I've gotta go back to Bravely Default afterward, but I left off somewhere in Chapter 4, and I hear that it's going to dip in quality after that...

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! That last bit you spoiler-tagged was one of my favorites of the game, especially the later iterations of it in the game. Such a charming game, so under-appreciated. I wish more people could see past the tutorializing and enjoy the game beyond that.

Preach it, Spirit tracks is my second favourite zelda after links awakening, best princess zelda too .

Wow, that good, eh? A GAFer gave me a great deal on it not too long ago (and I actually had to turn down a really awesome GAFer who was going to give me a great deal on it as well, and they were very cool about the whole thing) and I haven't played that or PH yet. My wife loved both games, though. Just out of curiosity, did you like PH as well? I plan to play that one first.

Dsyndrome

Fire Emblem: Awakening. Started over because I didn't remember the story and couldn't get to a character at the top of the screen before she got killed. Same thing almost exactly happened to me in Tactics Ogre: LUCT.

I'm not sure if they do, but it's a really awesome soundtrack. 3DL and esp. 3DW also have jazzy soundtracks, but not to the degree that PM does.

It's a shame theres nothing similar as the soundtrack is soooo gooood, you're right 3DL is similar in some respects and just as well done.
Nintendo soundtracks are frequently excellent (NSMB aside) and it's something they don't seem to get apt recognition for

Some of them are not as good as OoT dungeons, but others are even better. I do hope the rumored Majora remake comes to 3DS soon, it'll be well worth waiting to play the game that way if so.

Majora is the only 3D Zelda I haven't played and OoT is my favourite one.
I'm dying for a 3D remake!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Playing Fire Emblem Awakening and Kirby Triple Deluxe atm.

Both great games.

Also, I never want to meet AmuroRX's friend, ever.

Been back into Freakyforms Delux since I stopped playing tomodachi. I miss the oddness. Bums me out that oddness like this isn't a norm in mainstream as much anymore.

harpingon

Neo Member
I own a 3DS, but currently playing Dragon's Crown on my Vita, and Orcs Must Die! on PC.

And Skylanders Swap Force (co-op with my boy) on the Wii-U , and MK8

3DS is not getting much time, since I sunk countless hours into the previous Etrian Odyssey game.

That EO hacked me off, as I realised I'd need at least another 20-30 hours of grinding to get a party capable of beating the end boss , and put it, and my 3DS away, unfinished.

When I do pick the 3DS up again, I'll probably play Donkey Kong Country, or maybe start Luigi's Mansion

addicted to Etrian Odyssey 4 right now. I have Fire Emblem waiting after that

Just wait till you get to experience the bonus dungeon.

3DS is not getting much time, since I sunk countless hours into the previous Etrian Odyssey game.

That EO hacked me off, as I realised I'd need at least another 20-30 hours of grinding to get a party capable of beating the end boss , and put it, and my 3DS away, unfinished.
Do you mean the the final story boss? I had no trouble beating her. Try changing your party setup to focus on sustain heals and status restoration. You can get by with high single target DPS.

If you mean the bonus boss, you can use QR codes to download party members from other players. It's not the same as raising your own but it saves a lot of time.

I beat pokemon y a few days ago. One of the best nintendo game I have ever played. Long time pokemon fan, but I fell off with DS version, I was amazed by how impressed I was with Y. Definitely ending up on my list of the year in terms of lttp games. Beat shovel Knight as well just a clinic in how amazing design and focus can really bolster a game, phenomenal title. Tried animal crossing, still cute but not for me. Tried Fire Emblem as I love XCOM but the aesthetic and a few things prevented me from getting into it, which made me sad.Returned animal crossing and fire emblem, and am playing Luigi's mansion 2. That is an incredible game considering it's made for a handheld, it feels like an uncompromised sequel. It's clicking with me right now. Yeah, I just got a 3DS a month ago so I've been catching up.

gosox333

Honestly literally all I ever play are Pokemon games. I bought MK when I first got the system just so I could have something to do, but buying it I knew right then and there that it'd become my Pokemon machine.

But when Smash comes I'll jump in on that.

Just beat Zelda: A link between worlds.

Its another Zelda game. Kind of fun but definitely get the been there done that feeling. Especially this game, since its basically just A link to the past hd.

Yeah, I finally beat it a few weeks ago and felt about the same. At first, using the LttP world was a selling point because I love that game, but I ended up rushing through most of it since it felt like I'd been there before.

maxcriden

It's a shame theres nothing similar as the soundtrack is soooo gooood, you're right 3DL is similar in some respects and just as well done.
Nintendo soundtracks are frequently excellent (NSMB aside) and it's something they don't seem to get apt recognition for

Majora is the only 3D Zelda I haven't played and OoT is my favourite one.
I'm dying for a 3D remake!

You know, I even like the NSMB Wii OST. And the Yoshi's New Island OST. I listen to those in full, on purpose, haha. I really genuinely like them. Anyway, if you liked the 3DL OST you'll love the 3DW OST when you get to play it. It's definitely even jazzier than 3DL.

As for Majora, it'll be well worth the wait! It's a truly unique and special game. And speaking of OSTs, it has an incredible one.

i started Luigi's Mansion 2 a few days ago and while i love the charm i am having issues getting into it.

It definitely took a few levels for it to really click with me, but once I got into it, I *really* got into it, so hopefully the same will happen for you.

kd-z

Oh I'm sure the quality of dungeon design varies from game to game and from dungeon to dungeon, but just thinking about what can be achieved with the skill present in OoT and newer technology makes me happy ;)

I've just beaten Ocarina and can safely say that it's one of my favourite games of all time. Will surely buy A Link Between Worlds next month. I have to figure out what to do with my life now that the adventure is over ;)

Playing Advance Wars Dual Strike, and hoping to grab a Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers one of these days.
, or even IV when it comes out on Europe.

coopolon

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3d. This is my first donkey kong game ever, it's taking me a little while to get used to it coming from straight from 2d mario's. They are really very different games.

The crosstalk in this game on the 3ds xl is awful, some of the worst I've ever come across. On any level with a dark background I have to turn the 3d almost all the way down and I like to play with it maxed normally.

Still on Mario 64 and I'm at 85 Stars now, so past the point at which I can take on Bowser again, but I feel the need to keep finishing off levels.

I've ordered FE:Awakening, so what settings do you guys suggest for someone who hasn't played any strategy based RPGs before, wants a fair challenge, whilst not wanting to have to play forever and a day to complete the story?

Still on Mario 64 and I'm at 85 Stars now, so past the point at which I can take on Bowser again, but I feel the need to keep finishing off levels.

I've ordered FE:Awakening, so what settings do you guys suggest for someone who hasn't played any strategy based RPGs before, wants a fair challenge, whilst not wanting to have to play forever and a day to complete the story?

I'm not much of a strategy player either so I played normal and casual mode the first time since it was my first FE game.

It definitely helped me get the basics down and I enjoyed it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Playing Dream Team. Kinda forgot about it, but picked it up again, what a great game, much better than Paper Mario

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3d. This is my first donkey kong game ever, it's taking me a little while to get used to it coming from straight from 2d mario's. They are really very different games.

The crosstalk in this game on the 3ds xl is awful, some of the worst I've ever come across. On any level with a dark background I have to turn the 3d almost all the way down and I like to play with it maxed normally.

You should try the SNES games or their remakes as they're very different in design. The newer version of the DKC seem to trade off the labyrinthine design for more straightforward levels built for speed running.

I'm thinking of getting DK, is it regarded as decent? I'm trying to pick up all the quality titles for the system, I hardly get time to play so trying to pass on mediocre stuff..

Lorcain

I'm slowly working on SMTIV. I want to love these games, but I can never get into them. I love the aesthetics and the Japanese sensibilities, but something about recruiting and combining demons, and always feeling like I don't have a great grip on the direction that system is going. I think I'm nearly done with the forest area, but I haven't touched it in a few weeks.
You're not alone. I'm further into SMT4 than you are
(Tokyo)
and I just don't get excited to play it. I took a break from SMT4 to try Mario & Luigi Dream Team (came with my 3DS), and I'm finding it much more fun. I don't know why I can't get into SMT4. I've tried multiple times for all the good reasons you mentioned.

I'm also playing Donkey Kong Country, and will hopefully pick up Kirby and A Link Between Worlds at BB tomorrow.

I just picked up Luigis Mansion 2 for £18 and Kid Icarus for £22, both new. Both seem Damn expensive where I look so thought those were some pretty decent prices..

maxcriden

Oh I'm sure the quality of dungeon design varies from game to game and from dungeon to dungeon, but just thinking about what can be achieved with the skill present in OoT and newer technology makes me happy ;)

I've just beaten Ocarina and can safely say that it's one of my favourite games of all time. Will surely buy A Link Between Worlds next month. I have to figure out what to do with my life now that the adventure is over ;)

Haha, that's awesome. Isn't the final battle with Ganondorf in OoT *so* awesome? I made a post about it pretty recently:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119893075&postcount=69

Anyway, I'm sure you'll love LBW. Have you played LTTP? If so, I hope it's been a long time because I think LBW and LTTP are best played as far apart from one another as reasonably possible given their similarities. I also recommend switching off between 2D and 3D Zeldas to keep from getting burned out.

Yeah, they're super different. It's an amazing game, though, and once you get into a groove with it it's very addictive and amazingly hard to 100%.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I love my 3ds a lot for sure. Unfortunately I have a friend that totally resent me for recommending me the system to him. After getting Bravely Default (which he hated after chapter 2, but loved chapter 1) didn't find anything else that fit with his high standards. This is what he told me:

Fire Emblem: Weapon Degradation/breaking is for chumps
Mario and Luigi: idiotic humor with weak rpg mechanics
Phoenix Wright: Too anime-ish a non-game
Zelda OOT: Old game he already played with shitty water temple
Zelda ALBW: a poor man Link to the Past
Shovel Knight: indie pixel art games are played out
Animal Crossing: boring busy work non-game
Monster Hunter: rather play it on a console with real online support
Etrian Odyssey (all of them): Stupid first person combat with bad rpg mechanics
Mario Kart 7: Tired of the franchise
Mario 3D Land: Tired of Mario games
Kirby Triple Delux: Too easy boring platformer
Donkey Kong Returns: Rather play it on the wii
SMT4: boring first person, a poor man's version of SMT3 (only good SMT game)

I honestly had no idea he was that picky and I have known him for 8 years. I dont' know if he's just being a dick and trolling me but man I think he just lost his love for games...He makes me sad...

bert-and-ernie-reactigaj7l.gif

I don't even know what to say to your friend.

sk3tch

Picked up Witch & Hero the other day and it has absolutely hooked me. Out of curiousity, I checked online reviews - and wow...it really was hated by reviewers. Enough so that I can't really believe it. It's not broken or anything...not enough to warrant a review score lower than around 5 out of 10, but there are a few that are much lower. I found it charming..and even unique (at least in terms of the witch play mechanic). Anyway, I'm on the last boss now and even with knowing the "trick" I still am frustrated, lol.

leroidys

Back to fire emblem awakening. I'm happy that people like it but the battles are awful.
I'm just trying to beat it at this point. I feel obligated to now that smash has 2 reps from it. Damn you, Sakurai.

Just beat Shovel Knight a couple nights ago. It was fun little throwback platformer, but not exactly the revelation that many people were heralding it as (for me).

Top Bottom