• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

49 percent of Americans agree with Trump's travel ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
I've talked to some Democrats (or at the very least weren't obvious Republicans) before the election who favored some sort of ban. "I don't like Trump but I do like his immigration plan" or something along those lines.

:-/

Jarmel

Banned
Americans in general hate Muslims. You could call this an outright ban and increase the ban to all Muslim countries and I bet you those numbers would barely move.

Kinsei

Banned
America seems so divided in polls like this.

Is there any (realistic) issue that Trump might push that would be widely disapproved? Perhaps if they didn't do their homework well enough?

If he does something that negatively affects white people that can't be hand waived away by blaming scary dark people then he'll have more people turn on him.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also consider that only 53 percent of Democrats "strongly disagree" with the ban.

You'd think it was damn near 100 percent with the protests and social media posts. That's just disappointing.
And this is why Democratic politicians are not as far to the left as people on the far left would like: because the country itself is not as far to the left as we would like. The sooner we acknowledge this instead of trying to figure out how to reconcile populism with progressivism...Somehow, the sooner we can figure out who to run where to win elections

Linkark07

Banned
"The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English in all 50 states. It gathered poll responses from 1,201 people including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire sample and 5 percentage points for the Democrats and the Republicans."

ehhh. dont see how these results are alarming. sounds like the polled republicans agree and that's not surprising.

Exactly. Number is too small, and surprise surprise, they asked more Republicans than Democrats.

PillarEN

Americans in general hate Muslims. You could call this an outright ban and increase the ban to all Muslim countries and I bet you those numbers would barely move.

The world seems to hate Muslims. Unfortunately they are the chosen boogeymen for the world right now.

And this is why the protests don't do anything and Trump doesn't have to do anything. He can point to the fact that the majority of Americans don't mind it. He can also continue to ignore us and label as vocal minorities.

America has always been against refugees and immigrants
I dont like it when liberal idealists whitewash US history like they did all weekend, claiming Trump's discriminatory laws and policy "isnt who we are as America"
What kind of bubble are you living in to say that with a straight face?
Last night, I heard Carl Bernstein claim America's past isnt relevant because "we've overcome racism."
Some of these Beltway pundits have their heads in the fucking clouds, man. The people that completely missed the Trump phenomenon are the same ones that claimed Obama's election was the beginning of America as a post-racial society.

guek

Banned
And this is why the protests don't do anything and Trump doesn't have to do anything. He can point to the fact that the majority of Americans don't mind it. He can also continue to ignore us and label as vocal minorities.

You really think so many states and cities would be suing if not for the public outrage?

GTFO with this "protests don't do anything" bullshit. Seriously. Fuck that shit.

Not

Banned
Most humans are dumb and scared and easily manipulated

So take the fight to the manipulators, not the masses of humans

I don't think they were "chosen", it's just the fact that most terrorist attacks are organized by radicals in the name of Islam.

White radicals are catching up quick. We won't ban them.

Future

You really think so many states and cities would be suing if not for the public outrage?

GTFO with this "protests don't do anything" bullshit. Seriously. Fuck that shit.

Yup. While it's true a lot of America likes this crap, a lot don't and they need to be heard

Imagine during the slavery days if people were like, " well a lot of the country likes humans as property so I guess there is nothing we can do"

Fuck that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People are racists. Not shocking at all, sadly.

SwolBro

Banned
I've talked to some Democrats (or at the very least weren't obvious Republicans) before the election who favored some sort of ban. "I don't like Trump but I do like his immigration plan" or something along those lines.

:-/

i don't agree with a broad stroke ban like he seems like he's doing with this 90 day shit but some type of stricter vetting process for people coming and going from some of these countries i'm ok with.

Yup. While it's true a lot of America likes this crap, a lot don't and they need to be heard

Imagine during the slavery days if people were like, " well a lot of the country likes humans as property so I guess there is nothing we can do"

Fuck that.

And yet the whole world has been reporting on the US protests. Think Trump likes that?

The very last thing you need is for those who feel compelled to speak out/march/whatever, is for apathy to grow because they get told its worthless.

Encourage those people in the hope it'll inspire more.

Or you go back to "politicians suck but what can I do" as millions switch the news off and tune into syndicated shows.

rjinaz

The irony of a predominantly Christian nation banning people because the way they look, you know, like how Christ looked.

i don't agree with a broad stroke ban like he seems like he's doing with this 90 day shit but some type of stricter vetting process for people coming and going from some of these countries i'm ok with.

What exactly isn't strict about our vetting process, and why exactly do you think it needs to be changed, made more "extreme"?

Lots of defeatist attitudes in this thread, especially for a poll that was limited as usual. I'm not surprised. Honestly, while there are plenty of terrible people in this country, mostly from ignorance or just being born that way, there are plenty of nice great people as well. We can't just give up yet just because it seems hopeless. That's what Trump and his team wants us to do, we can't let him win, without at least going out with a fight anyway.

Not

Banned
wow, a lot of "fuck these people" and intolerance here, how ironic.

Totally ironic. Pretty great how just saying "both sides do bad things" can make it seem like you're performing some kind of complex reasoning when in reality you're preventing yourself from doing any

a lot of my friend who are fucking second gen vietnamese are in favor of this. They've been sharing shit on fb since sunday. Like wtf, your parents were literally refugee running away from a civil war, how the fuck can you even support this. Boggles my mind

As a 1st gen Filipino here in states, it'll be my worst nightmare to have my future kids grow up like that. That's like the asian version of being a coon.

Briarios

These polls often skew older - they're almost exclusively conducted through landlines. Think about the kind of people most likely to still have old school phones and you get a better idea of why there are some issues.

Well, I believe the people who agree with the travel ban don't necessarily hate all the population of those countries. I believe it's possible.

That absolutely may be true (probably is).

However, the policy at it's heart is hateful. You're judging someone's character on their nationality - something which none of us have the fortune of controlling.

Imagine meeting someone and saying "I don't like you because I've heard bad things about your country" - could you say it?

This is in conjunction with the US having some of the strictest vetting procedures out there. In further conjunction with none of the affected countries being linked to homegrown or domestic US incidences of terror (correct me if I'm wrong - please).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Seriously where are these statistics happening, cause ive never been part of one nor her people talk about them to say that Neely half of everyone agrees with this

SwolBro

Banned

rjinaz

wow, a lot of "fuck these people" and intolerance here, how ironic.

One group of people calling out bigoted racist bullshit, the other group of people are scared of the Muslims when there are no statistics to back it up, so yeah, it just good old fashion hate.

Totally both sides are the same.

tolerate the intolerance are you are just as bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom