• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Courage

Got my HE-400s this morning and gave them a try with Bjork's new album since I wanted to test out the sibilance. It's definitely noticeable, but I EQed the treble a little and it doesn't bother me. I'm sure the FocusPads will also smoothen it a bit. I'm liking them a lot so far. Just put on some bass-heavy hip-hop and I'm getting that punch I was lacking with the HD598s. Gonna use my tax refund for a Schiit Stack (unless you guys have better ideas for an amp combo with these headphones; open to suggestions) and report back.

Gurthang

Banned
Hi
My Creative Aurvana Live is getting boring. I mean it sounds great but I have been using it extensively for the past three years and I think its time for change. Anything better than them for less than 200$? Mostly will be used for gaming and watching movies on PC and some occasional metal and classical music.

HiResDes

Got my HE-400s this morning and gave them a try with Bjork's new album since I wanted to test out the sibilance. It's definitely noticeable, but I EQed the treble a little and it doesn't bother me. I'm sure the FocusPads will also smoothen it a bit. I'm liking them a lot so far. Just put on some bass-heavy hip-hop and I'm getting that punch I was lacking with the HD598s. Gonna use my tax refund for a Schiit Stack (unless you guys have better ideas for an amp combo with these headphones; open to suggestions) and report back.
Maybe consider something with a warm tonality to help smooth the treble out...An entry tube like the Aune T1, Hifiman EF2A, Vali, or Geek Out 450.

HiResDes

Hi
My Creative Aurvana Live is getting boring. I mean it sounds great but I have been using it extensively for the past three years and I think its time for change. Anything better than them for less than 200$? Mostly will be used for gaming and watching movies on PC and some occasional metal and classical music.
I'd recommend the Koss Pro4S or Soundmagic HP150, but both might be a bit more balanced than what you're used to

Today is a good day.

XqECQtUl.jpg

NotBacon

Best place to sell headphones? Here? Head-fi?

Maybe consider something with a warm tonality to help smooth the treble out...An entry tube like the Aune T1, Hifiman EF2A, Vali, or Geek Out 450.

How does the Geek Out 450 compare to something like the Schiit M+M? It looks so.... small.
Something that small surely can't reach the quality levels of the Shiit or JDS stack, right?

HiResDes

Best place to sell headphones? Here? Head-fi?

How does the Geek Out 450 compare to something like the Schiit M+M? It looks so.... small.
Something that small surely can't reach the quality levels of the Shiit or JDS stack, right?
It's bigger than it looks, but all reports point to the answer being yes at least in just sound quality.

The Geek Out is tiny. It's about 1 inch in width, 2 inches in length and about a third of an inch in depth. As for how it performs... I had a Chord Hugo and a Go 450 during the same time period. I still have my Go if that says anything. Yes, more expensive rigs do sounds better, no, I don't think it's particularly worth it.

rezuth

My sister wants to get Beats in-ear but she has a Samsung Galaxy Alpha. Now everywhere I've looked on the internet I get conflicting information. Is there anyone of the current in-ear line that will work with her phone?

Ryman

Let us know how you like them and make sure to replace the pleather pads.

I also ordered the HE-400s and they should be here tomorrow. They have FocusPad-A's, but not stock pleathers included so I can't necessarily compare them using other earpads. Still really looking forward to this, though.

Courage

I also ordered the HE-400s and they should be here tomorrow. They have FocusPad-A's, but not stock pleathers included so I can't necessarily compare them using other earpads. Still really looking forward to this, though.

I have the same ones coming. Apparently they're more comfortable, ease up on the treble harshness, and make the mids come a little more forward, thus having a warmer sound to an extent. I've read conflicting reports on the bass; some people say they beef it up, others are saying the bass is weakened. Either way, I'm looking forward to trying them out.

It's bigger than it looks, but all reports point to the answer being yes at least in just sound quality.

Actually, it isn't. It really is tiny:

Left to Right: US Quarter, Geek Out 450, Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII, Apple Wireless Mouse

The Geek Out is tiny. It's about 1 inch in width, 2 inches in length and about a third of an inch in depth. As for how it performs... I had a Chord Hugo and a Go 450 during the same time period. I still have my Go if that says anything. Yes, more expensive rigs do sounds better, no, I don't think it's particularly worth it.
The only drawback of the GO is that it only takes USB input. It's a pretty amazing little device.

Speakin of garbage... I got my tour Rockets back in today and included was a friend's pair of Altone 200s. I'd heard some less than glowing things in regard to the A200 from James444 who had them before me, but I decided to try listening with an open mind and... found myself pretty impressed by the detailing... for like 5 seconds. Yikes. These things are some of the brightest phones I have ever heard. Thin, razor sharp treble. I was floored by the treble emphasis when comparing them to the UERM and FIBASS.

Of course I had to run some tones through them and sure enough, hugenormous spike at 7 kHz, and some pretty egregious channel mismatch heading toward 10 kHz. Mids are super clinical and feel distant/hollow, and vocals always sound detached and soulless. The praise in the Altone thread is frankly mind boggling to me. Honestly, listening back against the Apple EarPod, these things aren't even more resolving than those phones LOL. And something like the Tenore would just clown the Altone

NotBacon

Actually, it isn't. It really is tiny:
The only drawback of the GO is that it only takes USB input. It's a pretty amazing little device.

I was pretty much totally set on the GO 450 and then I read this in a review:

I have found Geek Out to not cope with lossy files, such as MP3, very well. The poor resolution attracts a prickly response that is otherwise absent with lossless file types.

Is it BS? Maybe an extreme nitpick? My whole library is V0 MP3 so...... this worries me.

Also how does the GO stack up against something like the Schiit M+M?

Sounds like an extreme nitpick to me. Most of my music is 320 MP3. I can't even listen to Redbook anymore since my Mac doesn't have a disc drive lol. The Go should hold up against the Schiit stack just fine. The Go is comparable to the O2/ODAC stack which in turn is directly comparable to the M+M. I'm fairly certain that the GO will also support more files than the Modi as well since it can handle just about every file type under the sun. You can also purchase a separate amp for the Go down the line if you're so inclined.

NotBacon

Welp, time to go all in. HE-560 + GO-450 here I come.

Edit:
Damn, some people are saying the HE-560 needs more juice, and others are saying the GO-450 drives them just fine.
I might need to shell out another $100 for the GO-1000 to avoid the risk :/

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Let us know how you like them and make sure to replace the pleather pads.

First impressions are pretty damn positive.

I definitely expected more bass, but I'm in no way complaining. The texture, detail and speed of the bass is just delicious, and if it gets better with the velour pads then I'm in for a treat.

Was surprised at the terrible response. More pronounced than any pair I've ever had, and I'm having a great time listening for details in some of my go to tracks, across the whole frequency range, but especially the highs. We'll see if it becomes tiring at all.

chaosaeon

I'm still looking for the right set for me. Tried the Samson SR850, the soundstage is good, but the clamp on your head is maybe a bit too hard to be comfortable for a long time, and music had vocals sounding a little washed out and in the front. Takstar hi2050 are very comfortable and have balanced sound (especially good on music) but while it's still present I don't feel like the soundstage is as big as I'd like.

Is there a set in the $150 - $250 range that can give a huge soundstage (bigger than the Samson) and still have the bass, balance and comfort similar to the Takstar ? I was looking at Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro but don't know how they compare. I also don't know if a regular headphone jack on a gaming PC could run a 250 ohm set. I use an amp for the PS4 but on my PC I like to be able to just plug it in and go and I don't know if that would work. Suggestions ?

HiResDes

I'm still looking for the right set for me. Tried the Samson SR850, the soundstage is good, but the clamp on your head is maybe a bit too hard to be comfortable for a long time, and music had vocals sounding a little washed out and in the front. Takstar hi2050 are very comfortable and have balanced sound (especially good on music) but while it's still present I don't feel like the soundstage is as big as I'd like.

Is there a set in the $150 - $250 range that can give a huge soundstage (bigger than the Samson) and still have the bass, balance and comfort similar to the Takstar ? I was looking at Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro but don't know how they compare. I also don't know if a regular headphone jack on a gaming PC could run a 250 ohm set. I use an amp for the PS4 but on my PC I like to be able to just plug it in and go and I don't know if that would work. Suggestions ?
Dt990, Fidelio X1, and maybe the Sennheiser 650. Sorry the other recs weren't up to your liking.

Courage

First impressions are pretty damn positive.

I definitely expected more bass, but I'm in no way complaining. The texture, detail and speed of the bass is just delicious, and if it gets better with the velour pads then I'm in for a treat.

Was surprised at the terrible response. More pronounced than any pair I've ever had, and I'm having a great time listening for details in some of my go to tracks, across the whole frequency range, but especially the highs. We'll see if it becomes tiring at all.

Do you have an amp?

Courage

Been using the FocusPad As for the past 2 hours and it's a huge step up. Keeps the bass, treble is less harsh, more comfortable. Highly recommended.

SpyGuy239

Curious how good are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x for EDM and Rock?

I want to know why they are rated so highly everywhere. Enticing me to get them!

Also what are everyone's thoughts on the VModa M100?

Cheers GAF.

NotBacon

Curious how good are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x for EDM and Rock?

I want to know why they are rated so highly everywhere. Enticing me to get them!

Also what are everyone's thoughts on the VModa M100?

Cheers GAF.

They're good all around to my ears, maybe a little too much bass for some.
Solid entry-level closed-back headphones.

chaosaeon

Dt990, Fidelio X1, and maybe the Sennheiser 650. Sorry the other recs weren't up to your liking.

Nah your recommendations were great, it's my fault. I think I was looking for a sound I can't get for the budget I first posted, I never knew. So the 250 ohm of the DT990 Pro isn't an issue just hooked into a regular PC jack ? That's good news. I guess it would only be bad if I was going to use them for mp3 player/mobile device sound.

Servbot24

Banned
Got my HE-400is in the mail. I think I'm gonna need a new amp, as they're quiet compared to the HD555s I had.

Schiit stack seems to be the go-to so I'll probably play it safe and go for those.

HiResDes

Nah your recommendations were great, it's my fault. I think I was looking for a sound I can't get for the budget I first posted, I never knew. So the 250 ohm of the DT990 Pro isn't an issue just hooked into a regular PC jack ? That's good news. I guess it would only be bad if I was going to use them for mp3 player/mobile device sound.
Oh they definitely sound good with a little juice, but you have a decent soundcard right? The jack itself won't be a problem as you can always get an adapter that fits.

Servbot24

Banned
Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 Uber ordered.

Spending my work bonus ahead of time. :p I would love to have this be my last headphone investment for quite a while - quite a few reviews I read of the HE-400i had difficulty calling much more expensive sets any better, so this should be good.

chaosaeon

Oh they definitely sound good with a little juice, but you have a decent soundcard right? The jack itself won't be a problem as you can always get an adapter that fits.

Device manager lists 5 different options. I'll just post a pic instead of writing them all out. Most say Nvidia high definition audio which I'm guessing should be good.
soundcard.jpg~original

HiResDes

Device manager lists 5 different options. I'll just post a pic instead of writing them all out. Most say Nvidia high definition audio which I'm guessing should be good.
soundcard.jpg~original
Hmm... Not sure that's gonna be enough juice, I'd recommend saving up for an E10 if possible. A used X1 might be more cost efficient.

Top Bottom