• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Waikis

Really? Damn, can't afford stuff like that. I was thinking of maybe an open headphone.. maybe up to $500ish? :\

Go for a hifiman HE500 then.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/751448/alpha-dog-he-500-hd600-for-sale

Are you okay with open headphones? I'd consider the HE-400i, LFF Paradox, Mad Dog Pro and the original HE400 if you can't afford the 400i

Can you comfortably say that HE400 is a real upgrade from D2000? D2000 is already a fantastic headphone at that price range and I think HE400 is more of a sidegrade.

HiResDes

Go for a hifiman HE500 then.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/751448/alpha-dog-he-500-hd600-for-sale

Can you comfortably say that HE400 is a real upgrade from D2000? D2000 is already a fantastic headphone at that price range and I think HE400 is more of a sidegrade.

Oh I think you're right. But I think if he's willing to sacrifice a bit of subbass there are definitely real upgrades to be made in terms of treble extension, the mid-range, and overall detail. If you're sensitive to treble then I think the LFF Paradox or Mad Dog Pro are gonna be your best bet. However, if you're okay with a little treble prominence I really do think you'll find real upgrades in specific areas with the HE-400i and I also found the Beyerdynamic T90 to be within your price range used.

But if you're looking for an actual upgrade in all areas with something that has a similar sound signature you definitely would have go LCD2, Fostex TH900, or D7000...All which are gonna around a thousand dollars.

Really? Damn, can't afford stuff like that. I was thinking of maybe an open headphone.. maybe up to $500ish? :\

What about an open backed EL-8 for $700? Also check Buysonic.com for reviews. I got my HD800s for $999 brand new from them, it was a really good price. LCD3s are closer to $2K btw...

Tabasco

Can someone explain to me how exactly is the DT-990 Pro a "fun" set of headphones for gaming?

I've heard someone describe it as that. If anyone can do a direct comparison to a pair of HD 555s, then I would appreciate that.

I feel like I can live without the added benefit if it isn't anything major.

bedlamite

Just got a pair of HD650s 2 weeks ago and for some strange reason I just spent the last 20 minutes researching the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7s

I think I need help

HiResDes

Can someone explain to me how exactly is the DT-990 Pro a "fun" set of headphones for gaming?

I've heard someone describe it as that. If anyone can do a direct comparison to a pair of HD 555s, then I would appreciate that.

Man just get whatever you want. The DT990 are V-shaped and have a lot more bass and stronger treble extension though it might sound a bit sibilant to some people. If you want to know more about a headphone just research it on headfi, but I feel you've been asking the same questions over and over hoping for a different answer.

terrible

Banned

They're pretty bass heavy for an open headphone which leads to explosions, gunfire, etc having more impact. That is "fun". The opposite of fun for a gaming headphone would be something like the AD700s from Audio Technica.

NotBacon

Guys HELP HELP! I have the HE-400s and am perfectly happy, but I can't stop researching the HE-560s!

Edit:
Okay I've done a reality check and realized if I get the 560s I'd definitely need to upgrade to something like the Schiit stack. So that's a lot of money I can't spend right now.

A couple of things though:
Would this be a worthy upgrade in the future?
Would a setup this nice finally require an upgrade to FLAC only, or would VBR v0 MP3 still be fine?

Tabasco

Man just get whatever you want. The DT990 are V-shaped and have a lot more bass and stronger treble extension though it might sound a bit sibilant to some people. If you want to know more about a headphone just research it on headfi, but I feel you've been asking the same questions over and over hoping for a different answer.
Sorry about that. I just want to make sure what it is I'm buying.

Waikis

Guys HELP HELP! I have the HE-400s and am perfectly happy, but I can't stop researching the HE-560s!

Edit:
Okay I've done a reality check and realized if I get the 560s I'd definitely need to upgrade to something like the Schiit stack. So that's a lot of money I can't spend right now.

A couple of things though:
Would this be a worthy upgrade in the future?
Would a setup this nice finally require an upgrade to FLAC only, or would VBR v0 MP3 still be fine?

Yes HE560 would be a good upgrade.
Nah, FLAC is nice but not necessary.

terrible

Banned
DT-990 Premium, refurbished for $218?

This might be a good deal.

It's crazy how much the Pros have increased in price over the last couple years. I paid $150 for mine and they weren't even on sale. Now at the same retailer they are $220.

No clue on what a good deal for DT990 Premiums would be though. How much are the DT990 Pros where you are?

Tabasco

It's crazy how much the Pros have increased in price over the last couple years. I paid $150 for mine and they weren't even on sale. Now at the same retailer they are $220.

No clue on what a good deal for DT990 Premiums would be though. How much are the DT990 Pros where you are?
$202.25 for a new pair at Amazon.

I figured since the price for the Premiums are so jacked up for a new pair, I figured $218 for it refurbished is probably pretty good.

terrible

Banned
$202.25 for a new pair at Amazon.

I figured since the price for the Premiums are so jacked up for a new pair, I figured $218 for it refurbished is probably pretty good.

Is that the 32, 250 or 600 ohm version of the Premiums? The 600 ohm version will be harder to drive.

So the Pros and refurb Premiums are basically the same price more or less so I guess it just comes down to what you think you'd prefer. I can't decide for you lol. I have the Pros and likely wouldn't trade them for Premiums straight up because I like the extra bass the clamping force provides but that's just me. The Premiums do look a lot prettier.

More info here

Jzero

How much should i sell my X1s and Schiit Magni 1 for? They are in excellent condition since i like taking care of my stuff.

HiResDes

DT-990 Premium, refurbished for $218?

This might be a good deal.
Depending on the Ohm you might want to seriously consider the HE300, which are easier to drive, but you'll be sacrificing a bit of soundstage in the trade but also negating any treble worries.

HiResDes

How much should i sell my X1s and Schiit Magni 1 for? They are in excellent condition since i like taking care of my stuff.
Just a Magni? Probably only gonna get like 60 bucks out it. The X1 should go fairly fast at around $150 or $160. The guy inquiring about the DT990 should jump on these actually.

Jzero

Just a Magni? Probably only gonna get like 60 bucks out it. The X1 should go fairly fast at around $150 or $160. The guy inquiring about the DT990 should jump on these actually.

Yea i upgraded to the Magni 2 Uber so i'm only selling the Magni 1

Tabasco

Depending on the Ohm you might want to seriously consider the HE300, which are easier to drive, but you'll be sacrificing a bit of soundstage in the trade but also negating any treble worries.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a FiiO E07K that I plan to drive the DT 990 with. (250 Ohm version)

Tabasco

Wait.

It's better if I get the X1?

Shit. Definitely going to take my time on purchasing now.

HiResDes

Wait.

It's better if I get the X1?

Shit. Definitely going to take my time on purchasing now.
X1 and DT 990 same tier, but the treble is less extended on the X1 and is really efficient once you switch out the lousy stock cable.

Edit: They're headphones man, not a damn house, jump in. Lol

Tabasco

Amazon jacks up the price $32 for the DT-990 Pro.

I guess it's still worth it for $207.60, right? Or is there something else you guys can recommend that sound similar to these?

SpyGuy239

Hey GAF, referred here from the earlier thread I posted on GAF

So recently just decided I want to get a pair of portable headphones for convenience when I don't want to constantly remove my IE80s from my ear when I have to talk to someone.
Hoping to buy a pair off Amazon UK in the next day or so.

Budget: USD $400; I am looking for audiophile grade portable headphones

What I am Looking for:
- A "fun" sound similar to that of the Sennheiser IE80s that have deep strong and clean bass that is worth for EDM and Rock/Indie/Pop; I believe it has a v-shaped curve
- Portable
- UNSURE if I want over-ear or on-ear - Want your opinion on this!
- UNSURE if I should go for noise cancelling ones which might be helpful when I'm travelling on a plane; But I guess I can just turn up the headphones - Want your opinion on this!
- Headphones must be able to play directly from my iPhone 6 or iPad without the need for amplification

Current Recommendations include:

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  2. VModa M-100

Beats by Dre is obviously NO GO.

Unsure about Bose, happy to go for Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic, but open to all brands that give me what I am looking for.

Appreciate all the help and opinions!

Thanks a million!

HiResDes

Alright I'm going to ask a few questions and make some inquiries to narrow down your scope a bit, as $400 is quite a lot of money to work with and covers such a wide spectrum of candidates.

If you're truly serious about complete isolation Bose really does have an edge on the competition in terms of their noise-cancelling technology and they're QC series are also quite comfortable...Though obviously they aren't as competitive in overall sound quality.

Over-Ear headphones usually sport better comfort and overall isolation, but obviously On-Ear headphones are going to be lighter, more portable, and usually very efficient in terms of not being picky about source...But this has less do with the pads than the way the drivers and internals are engineered.

If you're not too concerned about their usability on a plane, and just want something closed and well isolating enough to use in a normal public setting let me know. Active noise cancelling headphones are gonna work best on the plane, but usually sacrifice a bit of clarity and sound quality in comparison to passive headphones.

NotBacon

Budget: USD $400; I am looking for audiophile grade portable headphones
- Headphones must be able to play directly from my iPhone 6 or iPad without the need for amplification

If you're going to get audiophile-grade phones ($300+), just note that playing directly from a phone or tablet isn't going to net you the most sound quality. You'll eventually need an amp and/or dac to really get the most out of them.

Ashhong

What do you guys use as headphones stand? I'm looking for a "head" shaped one so that the band doesn't get an indent from the thinner hook styles, but one that's narrow so the headband on my M50 don't stretch. Either a stand or maybe a case to store them away in, haven't decided

SpyGuy239

Alright I'm going to ask a few questions and make some inquiries to narrow down your scope a bit, as $400 is quite a lot of money to work with and covers such a wide spectrum of candidates.

If you're truly serious about complete isolation Bose really does have an edge on the competition in terms of their noise-cancelling technology and they're QC series are also quite comfortable...Though obviously they aren't as competitive in overall sound quality.

Over-Ear headphones usually sport better comfort and overall isolation, but obviously On-Ear headphones are going to be lighter, more portable, and usually very efficient in terms of not being picky about source...But this has less do with the pads than the way the drivers and internals are engineered.

If you're not too concerned about their usability on a plane, and just want something closed and well isolating enough to use in a normal public setting let me know. Active noise cancelling headphones are gonna work best on the plane, but usually sacrifice a bit of clarity and sound quality in comparison to passive headphones.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have heard about Bose and their QC series especially the QC25 which seem to be getting rave reviews. I was thinking about it and I realize I don't need noise cancelling headphones on a plane since anyway I do fine with my IEMS or the airline provided headphones. I don't think I will compromise the sound quality for noise cancelling technology.

I'm thinking I'll be going for the closed route (which I understand provides better bass than open ones) which I will use both in public and on the plane.

Currently I have a pair of Sennheiser PX100-IIs which have great sound and I love them and are really unbeatable quality for the price, but as I said, I want to get something even better, comparable to my IE80s.

Thanks!!

If you're going to get audiophile-grade phones ($300+), just note that playing directly from a phone or tablet isn't going to net you the most sound quality. You'll eventually need an amp and/or dac to really get the most out of them.

I understand this and am willing to compromise on mid-high end stuff just to avoid an amp and/or dac for portable listening. I'm just looking for something close to or at audiophile quality that is convenient for me when I'm on the go.

HiResDes

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have heard about Bose and their QC series especially the QC25 which seem to be getting rave reviews. I was thinking about it and I realize I don't need noise cancelling headphones on a plane since anyway I do fine with my IEMS or the airline provided headphones. I don't think I will compromise the sound quality for noise cancelling technology.

I'm thinking I'll be going for the closed route (which I understand provides better bass than open ones) which I will use both in public and on the plane.

Currently I have a pair of Sennheiser PX100-IIs which have great sound and I love them and are really unbeatable quality for the price, but as I said, I want to get something even better, comparable to my IE80s.

Thanks!!

I understand this and am willing to compromise on mid-high end stuff just to avoid an amp and/or dac for portable listening. I'm just looking for something close to or at audiophile quality that is convenient for me when I'm on the go.

If you're looking for a somewhat V-shaped closed headphone with good bass and extended treble that will be fairly portable, here are my top picks:

Bowers Wilkins P7
(Normally around $399, but I found this used pair for quite cheap)
Soundmagic HP150
PSB M4U (The only caveat with these is that they're a bit heavy, and as a result are more prone to become uncomfortable after a couple of hours)
Sony MDR1A (You could save a hundred dollars going with the old version of this headphone, but this is the best and most refined version)
AKG K545
Koss Pro 4S

I'd say the Focal Classic, HP150, and Koss Pro 4S would be more accurately described as U-shaped therefore retain a bit more balance while the others are slightly more fun in some spectrums...I stand behind all of these headphones though

...BTW, the M100 aren't a bad pick, but they have somewhat recessed treble, especially in comparison to these choices

Top Bottom