• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

BumRush

Okay so I've been living through crap headphones my whole life. I plan on buying a PS Vita (new playstation portable) this year and wanted to get a new set of headphones so my wife could read while I play...i read through the OP but figured asking the experts might be my best bet...here is where I'm at:

- Looking to spend ~$100
- I want them to be closed with minimal sound leakage if any
- I want them to be small/portable but go over my ears, NOT in them
- Something like the Koss Professional DJ Stereo Headphones - Koss PRODJ 100 is the general idea

(Thanks in advance GAF)

HiResDes said:
I'd recommend the AKG K271 MKII's in the OP.

and I'd look at getting one of these to go with it or maybe an E7

Is it worth jumping up to the 272 HD's?

How do you know when you need a headphone amp?

Also, what do you guys use for portable music listening?

Ericescobar15

Neo Member
I think my RE 0 in ear buds are starting to give out on me. I just saw the sunrise xcape buds, but wonder if there is something more to my needs.

I listen to a ton of electronic music (Markus Schulz, Above and Beyond) and also indie pop stuff (Dum Dum Girls, Gang Gang Dance).

Anything around the 100 dollar mark for me?

cress2000 said:
How big of a difference does re-cabling truly make? I see a lot of recommendations elsewhere for pairing the Ultrasone PRO 900 with the Blue Dragon cable from Moon Audio, but the 10' one costs about 2/3s what I paid for the cans. I can afford it if it's really worth it, but my mind is in sort of a Monoprice vs. Monster-type of mode on this...

I really really recommend against any cable upgrades. It's the same sort of snake oil as those 6000 dollar hdmi cables. It has at least some credibility since it's sending an analog signal instead of digital, but yeah, it's still crap. For me it gives the same feeling as this sort of thing (quote from head-fi)

"With the wrong amp, source or cables, the hd-650 can sound slow, dull, veiled, hazy, bass light, muted in the highs… But with the right equipment they can sound utterly transparent, fast, airy and musical."

This is utter nonsense in my opinion. I am probably offending some people here with this, but in regards to music the terms 'slow', 'fast', and fucking MUSICAL??? This means nothing. I know it's prevalent in any sort of niche -phile community, but the pretentiousness is off the charts. As soon as I hear much of anything beyond a description of bass, mids, and treble levels, separation, and soundstage, my bullshit alarm is going crazy.

dyna-soar

Not sure if I am posting this in the right thread, but here goes. So over the past couple years and this may be totally normal for headphones, but mine always seem to short out on me, just like out of nowhere be perfectly fine one day and then the next, one ear starts cutting in and out, or both the ears just quit working altogether, but if the jack is moved just right I will get some sound. So I guess my reason for posting is, does this happen to just me or everyone? If It helps, the most reason headphones I've been using are a pair of $40 skullcandys that I picked up at fred meyer, hope someone can help as this is getting really annoying.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
dyna-soar said:
Not sure if I am posting this in the right thread, but here goes. So over the past couple years and this may be totally normal for headphones, but mine always seem to short out on me, just like out of nowhere be perfectly fine one day and then the next, one ear starts cutting in and out, or both the ears just quit working altogether, but if the jack is moved just right I will get some sound. So I guess my reason for posting is, does this happen to just me or everyone? If It helps, the most reason headphones I've been using are a pair of $40 skullcandys that I picked up at fred meyer, hope someone can help as this is getting really annoying.

You most likely need to resolder a new jack on your headphones and no it is not common for working headphones to cut out. Make sure it's the headphone and not the source. My laptop's headphone jack cuts out, but the headphones are perfectly fine.

If i were you, swallow the bullet on your skullcandy's (if the headphones are the problem) and do some research on some new headphones. Check out the OP.

dyna-soar

AwesomeSauce said:
You most likely need to resolder a new jack on your headphones and no it is not common for working headphones to cut out. Make sure it's the headphone and not the source. My laptop's headphone jack cuts out, but the headphones are perfectly fine.

If i were you, swallow the bullet on your skullcandy's (if the headphones are the problem) and do some research on some new headphones. Check out the OP.
I have determined that it is the headphones that are the issue, as another(crappier)pair of headphones work on my Zune, so I'm guessing it may just be the headphones themselves, every time they're in use, they are plugged into my Zune kinda just hanging loose in my pocket, so I always thought maybe just from sitting in my pocket it caused the short, or maybe I just need to get a more quality pair of headphones.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
dyna-soar said:
This always happens to me. Out of the last 10 'phones I've owned - most of which were cheap $30ish buds and clip-ons - I'd estimate that 8 have succumbed to the dreaded 1-ear fizz out problem.

What type of climate are you in? I used to live in Edmonton, Alberta... which is very, very cold in the winter. I frequently wore my headphones outside, causing the wire to harden/freeze... which likely accelerated its wear & tear. Ever since I've moved to a warmer climate, I've noticed that my headphones last longer. Or maybe it's all just luck.

Either way, take care of those cords. Don't let them tangle... especially near the connector.

dyna-soar

Pochacco said:
This always happens to me. Out of the last 10 'phones I've owned - most of which were cheap $30ish buds and clip-ons - I'd estimate that 8 have succumbed to the dreaded 1-ear fizz out problem.

What type of climate are you in? I used to live in Edmonton, Alberta... which is very, very cold in the winter. I frequently wore my headphones outside, causing the wire to harden/freeze... which likely accelerated its wear & tear. Ever since I've moved to a warmer climate, I've noticed that my headphones last longer. Or maybe it's all just luck.

Either way, take care of those cords. Don't let them tangle... especially near the connector.
I'm down here in the states, Southern Oregon. So we see some cold winters, and they always see use everyday, I ride my bike to work and my Zune always sits in my pocket, so I was always thinking it could be the constant jostling that the cord gets, it never really bunches up near the jack though, maybe I should just invest in some higher quality headphones though, just out of curiosity but would a thicker cord perhaps solve this issue maybe?

CRS

Tired of Apple earbuds breaking down on me so I've decided to look into some IEMs. The audio devices are my phone and laptop and I'm mainly gonna be using the IEMs with my phone during work. Only problem is I work at a kitchen and the vents are kinda loud so noise cancellation would be really nice but not necessary. Durability is also very important. I basically listen to every genre but hip-hop and rock are the ones that get the most listens. Price range is around $150 bucks, but no greater than $200 though. Any recommendations?

well the band on my Corsair HS1s snapped on me last week, and now I am trying to decide on a new set of cans. Its come down to between the Audio Technica ATH-AD 700's or the Logitech G930. Some one help me decide please.

Izayoi

Banned
Did the foam mod on my HD555s. Bass improved a decent amount. Not groundbreaking or anything but you can definitely hear a difference. Should tide me over while I continue mulling over what I'm going to get.

FoxSpirit

LCfiner said:
I have not heard the K701s but they are a bit polarizing as they seemingly have huge amping requirements. people are using these with thousand dollar amps or more.

plus everyone talks about how they have little bass for tons of hours while they burn in so be careful if this headphone is on your shortlist.

Yeah, I call BS. It's mostyl because people don't like the way they sound and then try to get something that isn't really there with huge expenses.

But yeah, the bass burn in is true. But burning in a headphone is easy and quick anyway so that's no problem.

Wormdundee said:
This is utter nonsense in my opinion. I am probably offending some people here with this, but in regards to music the terms 'slow', 'fast', and fucking MUSICAL??? This means nothing. I know it's prevalent in any sort of niche -phile community, but the pretentiousness is off the charts. As soon as I hear much of anything beyond a description of bass, mids, and treble levels, separation, and soundstage, my bullshit alarm is going crazy.

Slow and fast refer to the ability to keep pace, e.g. to accurately and nicely reproduce a drumming passage. Generally, everything related to rhytm. I'm highly partial to fast speakers, I had Dynaudio Focus 140, far too slow for my tastes. Slow produces a larger sounding body but I prefer accuracy.

Musical mostly refers to the ability to bring all components well together, to not have one stand out. And especially not having an overly analytical treble characteristic.

E.g. my M50 have deep bass but are a bit slow and a bit too much treble that isn't very musical. With the wrong equipment, they become fatguing very fast. For me. I'm very sensitive to treble, others wouldn't mind.

Btw, warm refers to a certain, not neutral but very pleasant sounding colouration in the mids. Not great for the Studio but great for listening.

LCfiner

Wormdundee said:

the terms used may sound odd but I assure you that amping does make a difference with even low and mid level headphones.

“musical” is typically just a buzz word, in my experience, for a little extra hump at the bottom end of the midrange that makes everything sound a bit more full bodied.

I think that term gets used and abused too much on some forums and in reviews.

Anyone else have the Sony MDR-7509s?

These are the larger Sony studio monitor headphones, the ones that cover the ear. I fucking love them. I've had my pair for about 10 years now, paid something like $250 for them.

sony_MDR_7509.jpg

They give me a great volume level and clean sound without an amp while listening to tunes on my iPhone too. They are leaps and bounds better than the 7506 model which I've also owned.

Kyaw

AzureNightmare said:
well the band on my Corsair HS1s snapped on me last week, and now I am trying to decide on a new set of cans. Its come down to between the Audio Technica ATH-AD 700's or the Logitech G930. Some one help me decide please.

AD700s with Zalman clip on mic if you need a mic.

+They are comfy, you won't notice that they are on after a few moments.
+Very clear and accurate sound
-The bass is not very big, it is there and you can feel the very low frequencies effects

I recommend it if you want a quality headphones for gaming and for listening to rock/jazz/classical/other instrumental stuff.

Gaaraz

What's a super cheap pair of headphones I can get that'll clip over my ear? I'll use them pretty much exclusively for housework/gardening and maybe a little exercising too.

nib95

Banned
Wormdundee said:

Fast - Quick drivers that keep pace well within faster tracks without any overlapping or prolonged decay. Faster IEM's and headphones are generally snappier and more direct.

Slow - Often used to describe the opposite of the above. Certain sounds take a split second more to achieve full body, and can leave a slight decay or after hum. We're taking mili second differences, but still enough to make a difference to the overall sound presentation within a track.

Musical - To my understanding describes an IEM or headphone that is slightly more vibrant and fun in audio presentation. This usually means something less neutral and/or balanced, but instead with certain elements of the freq range either emphasised or more forward. Commonly the frequency in question is of the lower end of the spectrum, but not always.

kevm3

Wormdundee said:
I really really recommend against any cable upgrades. It's the same sort of snake oil as those 6000 dollar hdmi cables. It has at least some credibility since it's sending an analog signal instead of digital, but yeah, it's still crap. For me it gives the same feeling as this sort of thing (quote from head-fi)

if you don't amp the HD650 correctly, they will sound exactly how was described. I owned a pair of HD600 and if you don't amp them right, they can be very dull and distant sounding headphones, and make the noted 'Sennheiser veil' become very prevalent. Listen to a pair of Grado and a pair of Sennheiser on the same amp and it will become very clear the difference between 'fast' sounding headphones and slower sounding ones.

snack

Where can I get Yuin PK3s? I live in Canada btw.

edit: Found a site called Head-Direct. Is this place reliable?

LCfiner

snack said:
Where can I get Yuin PK3s? I live in Canada btw.

edit: Found a site called Head-Direct. Is this place reliable?

head-direct is fine. they are the official retailer for hifiman products.

I got mine off ebay, though. 33 CAD inc. shipping but the shipping took a month to Canada. :(

if you want it faster, head-direct might be a better choice

LCfiner said:
the terms used may sound odd but I assure you that amping does make a difference with even low and mid level headphones.

“musical” is typically just a buzz word, in my experience, for a little extra hump at the bottom end of the midrange that makes everything sound a bit more full bodied.

I think that term gets used and abused too much on some forums and in reviews.

kevm3 said:
if you don't amp the HD650 correctly, they will sound exactly how was described. I owned a pair of HD600 and if you don't amp them right, they can be very dull and distant sounding headphones, and make the noted 'Sennheiser veil' become very prevalent. Listen to a pair of Grado and a pair of Sennheiser on the same amp and it will become very clear the difference between 'fast' sounding headphones and slower sounding ones.

Just to clear it up, I wasn't talking about the amp part, I own 3 amps myself. That just happened to be in the quote. I just detest audiophile terminology and cable nonsense.

snack

LCfiner said:
head-direct is fine. they are the official retailer for hifiman products.

I got mine off ebay, though. 33 CAD inc. shipping but the shipping took a month to Canada. :(

if you want it faster, head-direct might be a better choice
Thanks, LCfiner!

Is there much difference between the pk3's and pk2's? The price is doubled, is the quality doubled as well?

Kyaw said:
AD700s with Zalman clip on mic if you need a mic.

+They are comfy, you won't notice that they are on after a few moments.
+Very clear and accurate sound
-The bass is not very big, it is there and you can feel the very low frequencies effects

I recommend it if you want a quality headphones for gaming and for listening to rock/jazz/classical/other instrumental stuff.
You are a gentlemen and a scholar, I was leaning towards the G930s because they were wireless, but you made me realize that the audio technicas are just too amazing to pass up at $100>

LCfiner

Wormdundee said:
Just to clear it up, I wasn't talking about the amp part, I own 3 amps myself. That just happened to be in the quote. I just detest audiophile terminology and cable nonsense.

ah yeah. i see where you're coming from. the audiophile words can be annoying if they're used too often (and if you happen to be reading a lot of headphone reviews at one time, like I had been doing the past year)

On the occasions that I've made any feeble attempts here to describe sound differences between cans, I've always tried to keep it simple and/or refer back to specific sections in songs that people can identify. it's very difficult to try to describe these differences in sound using writing. It's so easy to go back to those terms.

Some people have the ability to describe things very specifically and say which frequencies are being accentuated or attenuated but most people just end up repeating different ways to say it sounds "sounds good, man".

@snack. no idea about the pk2, but I figure you meant that as a question for everyone here. maybe someone has used both them and the pk3

LCfiner said:
ah yeah. i see where you're coming from. the audiophile words can be annoying if they're used too often (and if you happen to be reading a lot of headphone reviews at one time, like I had been doing the past year)

On the occasions that I've made any feeble attempts here to describe sound differences between cans, I've always tried to keep it simple and/or refer back to specific sections in songs that people can identify. it's very difficult to try to describe these differences in sound using writing. It's so easy to go back to those terms.

Some people have the ability to describe things very specifically and say which frequencies are being accentuated or attenuated but most people just end up repeating different ways to say it sounds "sounds good, man".

@snack. no idea about the pk2, but I figure you meant that as a question for everyone here. maybe someone has used both them and the pk3
Everyone's sense of hearing is different due to countless variables. So one set of headphones may sound great to one person and another person will think they sound awful. Its really all up to trial and error (though this can get expensive) when trying to find the perfect set of earphones for you, though doing a bit of research definitely helps your chances of getting it right.

LCfiner

AzureNightmare said:
Everyone's sense of hearing is different due to countless variables. So one set of headphones may sound great to one person and another person will think they sound awful. Its really all up to trial and error (though this can get expensive) when trying to find the perfect set of earphones for you, though doing a bit of research definitely helps your chances of getting it right.

100% agree. I ended up doing pretty much exactly what you describe.

it was important for me to go through so many sets recently. I found that one of the most well regarded cans around - the LCD2 - was not for me but my preference was for the less popular (but still well regarded) Grado PS1000.

Izayoi

Banned
Okay, I finally settled on something. When my next paycheck rolls around I'll be getting either the Yulong U100 or D100, depending on what I decide my inputs need to be, along with a pair of HD650s. I might also look into getting some DT880s and AKG701s.

Later on I'll be looking to get either a HeadAmp GS-1 or a Burson Audio HA-160. I might also look into either the Bifrost or the DA-160 for a standalone DAC. Those will go toward powering either the Tesla T1s or the HD800s.

FoxSpirit

LCfiner said:
100% agree. I ended up doing pretty much exactly what you describe.

it was important for me to go through so many sets recently. I found that one of the most well regarded cans around - the LCD2 - was not for me but my preference was for the less popular (but still well regarded) Grado PS1000.

Well, at THAT level at least things see eye to eye.

But on the lower ground there is a lot of preference, even if that preference means "I like bad sound". Because the brain has gotten adjusted to a terribad sound-signature. It's so hard to get that out of one's system >.<

Coming from speaker-fi, people like the Dynaudio Focus 140. Coming from decent headphones and my current boxes, I can't fathom why except "I don't really like to have my sound defined". Bad hearing habits are so sad to watch when so much money goes into them.

LCfiner

FoxSpirit said:
Well, at THAT level at least things see eye to eye.

But on the lower ground there is a lot of preference, even if that preference means "I like bad sound". Because the brain has gotten adjusted to a terribad sound-signature. It's so hard to get that out of one's system >.<

Coming from speaker-fi, people like the Dynaudio Focus 140. Coming from decent headphones and my current boxes, I can't fathom why except "I don't really like to have my sound defined". Bad hearing habits are so sad to watch when so much money goes into them.

referring to the bolded, I wasn’t even aware we were disagreeing about anything, lol

I was just trying to provide a word of caution to someone looking to get K701s as there have been quite a few of folks disappointed with their sound for one reason or another, hence my earlier comments.

impruv

Neo Member
I can get Shure SRH750DJ for about $60 CDN. Don't really need headphones atm but it seems too good to pass up. Should I pick them up?

FoxSpirit

LCfiner said:
referring to the bolded, I wasn’t even aware we were disagreeing about anything, lol

I was just trying to provide a word of caution to someone looking to get K701s as there have been quite a few of folks disappointed with their sound for one reason or another, hence my earlier comments.

No, I simply wanted to emphasise that on that level, it's truly all preferance since neither will do badly.
But on the lower end, if people simply choose what they think sounds best they may get stuck with Dre Beats at worst just because they don't know better.

Getting ready for my M50's to be delivered. Picked up the makeshift stand from Lowes and built this switchbox. So I can switch between my PC speakers and the Headphones. Mic is just a passthrough.

switchbox.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ericescobar15 said:
I think my RE 0 in ear buds are starting to give out on me. I just saw the sunrise xcape buds, but wonder if there is something more to my needs.

I listen to a ton of electronic music (Markus Schulz, Above and Beyond) and also indie pop stuff (Dum Dum Girls, Gang Gang Dance).

Anything around the 100 dollar mark for me?
Are you past the 1yr warranty?

Ashhong

Bearded Dudebro said:
Getting ready for my M50's to be delivered. Picked up the makeshift stand from Lowes and built this switchbox. So I can switch between my PC speakers and the Headphones. Mic is just a passthrough.

switchbox.jpg

I had that stand and M50s. Not sure if there will be space under your headphones for the switchbox. You may have to always be folding the earcups up, or at the very least making it so that it isnt extended.

Also I would look into wrapping the bars where your headphones will rest in a softer material or something. They would leave very slight grooves and a light rash in the headband that I didnt like.

Ashhong said:
I had that stand and M50s. Not sure if there will be space under your headphones for the switchbox. You may have to always be folding the earcups up, or at the very least making it so that it isnt extended.

Also I would look into wrapping the bars where your headphones will rest in a softer material or something. They would leave very slight grooves and a light rash in the headband that I didnt like.

I can definitely move the switchbox, and thanks for the advise on the padding. Any suggestions on what to use?

Ashhong

Bearded Dudebro said:
I can definitely move the switchbox, and thanks for the advise on the padding. Any suggestions on what to use?

Nope. I decided to go with the Home Depot stand instead because I thought it looked nicer. Literally anything though, from like a soft foam to a cloth.

HiResDes

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Tired of Apple earbuds breaking down on me so I've decided to look into some IEMs. The audio devices are my phone and laptop and I'm mainly gonna be using the IEMs with my phone during work. Only problem is I work at a kitchen and the vents are kinda loud so noise cancellation would be really nice but not necessary. Durability is also very important. I basically listen to every genre but hip-hop and rock are the ones that get the most listens. Price range is around $150 bucks, but no greater than $200 though. Any recommendations?
I'd go with either the VSonic GR07 (Greater Balance) or the Sony MDREX600 (Greater bass emphasis)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
These Yuin's definitely require a burn in time. I'm noticing that every day I use them they sound a lot more clearer and defined than the previous day.

This might take some time to get it to it's sweet spot.

Zaptruder

Banned
Question: Why spend so much on the right set of headphones when most if not all the desired affect can be achieved via an equalizer tuned to your tastes?

My mp3 player (phone really) has a software equalizer - why is that significantly worse than a hardware based solution?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is my opinion only so take it as you will, but using an EQ on tracks is kinda lame. It's not what the original producer, engineer and mastering dude wanted the album to sound like. So I usually take what the album gives me as pure as it can get and you want the right set of headphones to deliver that experience that was intended.

You could EQ all your music through itunes or your phone, but most people never really take the time to notice the intricate work some music has since a lot if not all music has become quite disposable and in one side of the head and straight out the other so they never have to worry about getting that experience.

Ashhong

Zaptruder said:
Question: Why spend so much on the right set of headphones when most if not all the desired affect can be achieved via an equalizer tuned to your tastes?

My mp3 player (phone really) has a software equalizer - why is that significantly worse than a hardware based solution?

=/

somebody else will come in with a better answer

HiResDes

Do you also think you can EQ a set of shitty logitech computer speakers to sound like someone with an entire alpine system?

HiResDes said:
I'd go with either the VSonic GR07 (Greater Balance) or the Sony MDREX600 (Greater bass emphasis)

Everything I've read about the 600's seem to say that while it has great extension, the impact is light. They are far from being bassy phones, the Ex1000 is purported to have much more bass quantity. I guess I'll be able to chime in when they come in on Wednesday with some early impressions.

Zaptruder said:

Software equalizers are not coded by magicians you know. All they can do is change the relative amplitude of frequencies, they can't make it sound better through crappy headphones.

I don't even really know how to properly respond to this, it's so weird.

Zaptruder

Banned
Wormdundee said:
Software equalizers are not coded by magicians you know. All they can do is change the relative amplitude of frequencies, they can't make it sound better through crappy headphones.

I don't even really know how to properly respond to this, it's so weird.

Don't the hardware limitations on amplitude only really matter at higher volumes?

I'd just like to understand how the sound curve is changed by various devices. I suspect most here don't quite understand themselves.

HiResDes

Different drivers, different driver placement, different parts, different air flow, different ear pads, different impedances

LCfiner

Zaptruder said:

If you’ve never heard headphones of very good or exceptional quality, then you won’t get it till you hear it.

EQ can be used to slightly tweak a sound signature. you can slightly boost frequency responses to your taste. But you can’t push it too far or else you WILL hear distortion as you increase the EQ. You can’t use it to hide major deficiencies in equipment. it’s lipstick on a pig

a poor quality headphone that has excessive bass might be able to provide that THUD of bass but won’t be able to provide details of the music behind the THUD. the actual sound of bass strings vibrating and the note the music is playing at.

similarly, songs with complex and fast guitar playing will sound less detailed and you won’t be able to hear all the details of the guitar strings or the finger sliding and picking the strings on cheap headphones. you’ll hear just the obvious notes but not the whole picture. EQing can’t fix that. you need better equipment to actually reproduce these sounds.

Now, it’s fair to say that there’s an obvious curve of diminishing returns as you go higher up the ladder in equipment. a lot of these subtle details can be heard on headphones that cost around 100 bucks.

But as you get better stuff, the ability for a headphone to be able to reproduce both amazing high frequency detail plus low frequency detail improves. cheaper headphones usually focus on one or the other. you can also get improvement to soundstage so it’s easier to identify where performer are located in space around your head (best on live recordings) as you go up the ladder.

Top Bottom