• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Izayoi said:
Why did you do that? :(

A quality pair of stereo cans with good soundstaging is far better at emulating a surround sound environment than these so-called "surround" headsets that cram a bunch of weak drivers millimeters apart from each other.

It's wireless too? If you can, I would recommend returning the whole setup and buying a nice pair of Audio Technicas or Beyerdynamics. Hell, you'd probably be better off even with a cheap pair of Senns.

The headset are regular headphones with the mic attached to become a headset. They ONLY do Stereo. They aren't amazing in their own right, BUT they are decent quality headphones. You can definitely get better headphones for the price, but you aren't getting a headset. Sure you could get a clip on mic, but then you can't run everything properly.

Astro's big thing is the mixamp which is less like a headphone amp, and it's more like a soundcard/amp combo in an amp box. This is the golden ticket right here. The mix amp!

Just got my M50's, I'm hearing stuff in songs I didn't even know where there. I didn't hear this stuff even with my fairly good PC speakers. And they're so much more comfortable than the on ear's I had before.

Enron

Banned
So I'm growing tired of my DT880s. Is there anyone out there in headphoneGAF that had these and upgraded? Where did you go? I've already done Grado, don't really care for Sennheiser....what is next?

Vanillalite

Enron said:
So I'm growing tired of my DT880s. Is there anyone out there in headphoneGAF that had these and upgraded? Where did you go? I've already done Grado, don't really care for Sennheiser....what is next?

How does one grow tired of phones? I can see if you want to upgrade, but I felt it weird when people said they were tired of their headphones.

AKG 701s would be my recommendation... I doubt these are BETTER... but they should be semi comparable...

image_K_70486e2792379ae.jpg

Davidion

thegreatchamp said:
Hey guys so I'm a n00b when it comes to headphones as I just typically use my iPod ones even though I hate them with a vengeance because they always fall out my ear. So, i was thinking about getting some beats because in my uni all I see is people with them and this got me interested on buying some good ones. Is this a bad choice and if so why? And if you disprove, what would you recommend for my first real pair?

I know I've done this half a dozen times in this thread already but...

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/DJ-headphones-HD 25-1-high-attenuation-of-ambient-noise_502188

ramyeon

So I'm looking for a set of decent in-ear headphones with remote and mic that will work with an iPhone and I'm willing to spend a bit of cash on them. Does anyone have any recommendations? The reviews on the Beats Tour are too varied and I've heard some pretty average comments on them but that kind of thing is what I'm looking for; just with the best sound quality possible for the price.

Enron

Banned
ramyeon said:
So I'm looking for a set of decent in-ear headphones with remote and mic that will work with an iPhone and I'm willing to spend a bit of cash on them. Does anyone have any recommendations? The reviews on the Beats Tour are too varied and I've heard some pretty average comments on them but that kind of thing is what I'm looking for; just with the best sound quality possible for the price.

UE Triple-fi 10vi. Can be had on ebay for under 200 bucks thanks to periodic crazy amazon sales (399 retail, 99 on amazon from time to time)

HiResDes

ramyeon said:

MEElectronics CC-51P

FoxSpirit

Enron said:
In what way did you grow tired of them? Quick fatigue? Too bassy, too warm etc.?
Hard to give any advice otherwise.

HiResDes said:
I think Ultimate Ears are a bit bass light in quantity, but I've only heard the lesser models personally.
Not the 10's. they seem to have endless bass with a little bosst/EQ. they never distort. it's kinda scary, actually.
LCfiner said:
here’s the frequency response

ditIk.png

not particularly inspiring. midrange and treble gets tossed off a cliff after 1000 Hz. seems to jive with the reviews saying they’re “muddy”.
probably the scariest FR graph I've ever seen. I can't imagine these cans sound good. the highs must be very muted/veiled/muddy. ewww.

Mighty said:
Got a pair of Astro A30's last week (surround sound cans designed for gaming on the 360/PS3). I think it was a little steep at $270 total after the wireless receiver and lithium ion battery, but damn Battlefield Bad Company 2 sounds amazing with these things!

http://paul.brightnightgames.com/junk/A30_White_Exploded.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
Interesting. Never heard of that brand.

Davidion

shira said:
Hmmm aforementioned HD25-1 vs ATHm50 vs AIAIAI TMA-1s?

I listen to house music mostly and only have a fiio E5 amp, I'm on the go alot so not listening at home.

Which is why I recommended the HD-25, it's the smaller option compared to the ATs and are built like tanks comparatively, with undeniable sound quality to match.

The TMA-1's have a similar physical profile but I've not had the chance to try one myself, been eyeballing a pickup at some point.

Davidion

Neither the HD-25s nor the TMAs fold down, though for on-the-go listening it barely matters as it's a trade off for nominal size limitations and weight. Unless you're carrying a small purse with nothing in it, have a dedicated headphone bag, or are cramming them into cargo pants, there are few travel-oriented personal containers out there that'll hold one and not the other.

shira

Davidion said:
Which is why I recommended the HD-25, it's the smaller option compared to the ATs and are built like tanks comparatively, with undeniable sound quality to match.

The TMA-1's have a similar physical profile but I've not had the chance to try one myself, been eyeballing a pickup at some point.

Well I keep hearing that the ATHm50 has good bass for the price, the TMA-1s are great for bass and nothing about the HD25's, yet they are at the top of the heap for the hifi portable shootout consistently.

Davidion

shira said:
Well I keep hearing that the ATHm50 has good bass for the price, the TMA-1s are great for bass and nothing about the HD25's, yet they are at the top of the heap for the hifi portable shootout consistently.

The HD-25 is pretty well balanced, with a pretty noticeable mid-bass punch; mids and highs are clear without being too bright. I can't speak about the sonics for either of the other two options as I've not heard them.

The line isn't super-well publicized officially; you won't see them glammed up too much. But there's a reason why it tops portable headphone shootouts and is near industry standard in sports broadcasting.

Vanillalite

FoxSpirit said:
Backpacks. I always wonder how people do without them. :p
It's funny. I never carried one outside of for school on a regular basis until earlier this year. Now I can't live without my backpack. I carry so much little shit in my front pocket, and I get to keep my cr-48 with me!

shira

shira said:
How bout in terms of an amp. I've only got a fiio e5 with a sansa clip and an ipod touch. Do any of these 3 desperately need extra juice?

FoxSpirit

shira said:
How bout in terms of an amp. I've only got a fiio e5 with a sansa clip and an ipod touch. Do any of these 3 desperately need extra juice?

I can attest that the M50 need near to nothing. They go louder than my earbuds.

ramyeon said:
What's the general opinion on the Monster Turbine Copper in ear headphones?

Not too great from what I remember, as opposed to the gold.

Ashhong

FoxSpirit said:
I can attest that the M50 need near to nothing. They go louder than my earbuds.

Gonna have to disagree. Maybe I've been spoiled after using my M50s with an amp first, but when I go ampless I find the sound quality pretty weak. Even the E5 doesn't cut it for me. Unless you're just talking about volume, in which case I can't remember.

Considering investing in some in-ear buds for around 100, but am hesitant because most of my music was ripped by me back in the early 2000s at 160kbps (so, low encoding using inferior codec). Would I get anything good out of having nicer earbuds with 160kbps mp3s?

HiResDes

brianmcdoogle said:
Considering investing in some in-ear buds for around 100, but am hesitant because most of my music was ripped by me back in the early 2000s at 160kbps (so, low encoding using inferior codec). Would I get anything good out of having nicer earbuds with 160kbps mp3s?
My iPod only has 160 kpbs AAC files and I notice a difference with nice in ears. If you're feeling skeptical why not look t spend around half.

LCfiner

brianmcdoogle said:

yes. you will still hear a difference going from, say, ipod earbuds, to something decent from Shure or ultimate ears.

if you like the difference and want to pursue better sound, start looking at getting 320 kbps mp3 or lossless files like FLAC or Apple lossless. they will scale better with better equipment

Enron

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
In what way did you grow tired of them? Quick fatigue? Too bassy, too warm etc.?
Hard to give any advice otherwise.

I dunno, just sorta tired of them and wanting to try something new. My music tastes will limit my choices, obviously. Mostly rock/indie rock/indie pop/anime/jpop stuff. Dont think I want akg701s for these genres, for instance.

Davidion

shira said:

The HD-25s are driven easily by portable players even without amps.

LCfiner

PhoenixDark said:
Are the PK3s good for hip hop/bass? Reviews seem to vary

i want to go back to this for a minute. I'm listening to these now with some Kanye and Jay-Z and I would not recommend them for hip hop.

they don't have good bass. it sounds thin and a little scratchy whenever the bass tries to hit deep. these buds have nice detail but aren't great for bass heavy music.

Enron

Banned
It's crazy how many other posters nicks i recognize from other threads in OT. Everyone loves a good pair of headphones!

FoxSpirit

Enron said:
I dunno, just sorta tired of them and wanting to try something new. My music tastes will limit my choices, obviously. Mostly rock/indie rock/indie pop/anime/jpop stuff. Dont think I want akg701s for these genres, for instance.

Well, I think Indie pop, Anime and J-Pop would actually work great with those. It's a very clean sound signature, very different from the sens.
Rock and Indie Rock would probably go well with Grado, but you already went there.
My suspicion: did you sell your old headphones?

Enron

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
Well, I think Indie pop, Anime and J-Pop would actually work great with those. It's a very clean sound signature, very different from the sens.
Rock and Indie Rock would probably go well with Grado, but you already went there.
My suspicion: did you sell your old headphones?

My SR225s developed a small crack in the housing (lol Grado build quality) and were getting NO love since i bought the beyers so I sold em on head-fi about a year and a half back. I still have my beyers.

FoxSpirit

Enron said:
My SR225s developed a small crack in the housing (lol Grado build quality) and were getting NO love since i bought the beyers so I sold em on head-fi about a year and a half back. I still have my beyers.

Ah, then here is my tip: go with whatever you feel like but don't sell the Beyers. Even if they lie around collecting dust.
You probably simply get bored with sound signatures and it's great to have the option to switch around, even if the current taste says no way. Unless they are really sonically inferior in every way, and even then. Even a HD-800 can be boring at times.

The 701 can be gotten at a really good price at the moment, at least in Europe. Burn them in, give them a spin, I liked them a lot, just lack the money at the moment. Listening to them next to a Senn, they are so wildly different.

I for myself have 2 headphones, 2 buds and a stereo setup. I know what I like and what I miss in each of them.
Buds: AKG 319 - clean, crisp, trasnparent, great for J-Synthie, but not so great bass. Senns 880- Great overall tonality, add that Sennheiser flavour, nice bass for buds
Headphones: M50 - nice bodied bass, good soundstage, high resolution treble but that "fizzy" signature that really fatigues me. AKG K-240 sextett (30 years old): the drivers are probably growing really old because the sound isn't tight. But the mids are nice. Bass lacks control and everything which is a shame. Overall nice for acoustics, especially since they highs are way uncritical. Even the Nintendo-DS is bearable on them.
Speakers: Quadral Rondo C - since they are bookshelves, what they lack is bass and body. But the rest is pretty much awesome and that ribbon tweeter is the way I'd like my treble to sound in a headphone. So perfectly neutral and without any kind of fizz or hiss, just pure. Also, very lively speakers.

So I can never grow bored with my sonics, I can wildly switch around. If I only had money I'd like to go really high end on headphones and also try fullsize speakers of like quality but no way the 3k I'd have to fork over :-\

ramyeon

Dreams-Visions said:
turbines are excellent. Monster's only good headphone.
Good to know as I ended up splurging on these. Saw them on Amazon with the control talk for $215 while they're $499 in shops here in Australia. Probably a bit more than I originally wanted to spend but I'm hoping they'll deliver.

Ashhong

ramyeon said:
Good to know as I ended up splurging on these. Saw them on Amazon with the control talk for $215 while they're $499 in shops here in Australia. Probably a bit more than I originally wanted to spend but I'm hoping they'll deliver.

215?! whaaaaaaaaaaaaa

goddamn australia. i would be more than happy to ship headphones or something to people as long as i dont have to pay out of my pocket for anything.

ramyeon

Ashhong said:
215?! whaaaaaaaaaaaaa

goddamn australia. i would be more than happy to ship headphones or something to people as long as i dont have to pay out of my pocket for anything.
Is $215 pricey for the Copper Pros? That's pretty much the cheapest I've seen 'em. And yeah the markup here is ridiculous haha. Especially considering the strength of the AU$ these days.

ramyeon said:
Is $215 pricey for the Copper Pros? That's pretty much the cheapest I've seen 'em. And yeah the markup here is ridiculous haha. Especially considering the strength of the AU$ these days.
Yeesh, you could do better than the Copper Pros at $200 like the Radius DDM, Vsonic Gr-07 or Sony Ex600.

I'm burning in the Ex600 right now. Out of the box I could already tell that they are offering shockingly good sound at the $133 I paid for them. They offer a very, very different sound than the SM3s which is good, otherwise I'd be returning them. Opinions will be forthcoming

ramyeon

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Yeesh, you could do better than the Copper Pros at $200 like the Radius DDM, Vsonic Gr-07 or Sony Ex600.

I'm burning in the Ex600 right now. Out of the box I could already tell that they are offering shockingly good sound at the $133 I paid for them. They offer a very, very different sound than the SM3s which is good, otherwise I'd be returning them. Opinions will be forthcoming
Hmm that's alright, I need something with decent sound and control talk anyway. I've been using the standard Apple headphones for the past year or so, so I'm sure these are gonna be a huge enough upgrade to satisfy me and warrant the extra cash paid.

Vanillalite

Thinking about getting a cheap pair of headphones for on the go (along with my IEMs). Probably just gonna grab the Audio Technica ATH-FC700s this weekend once I figure out what color I want. I know they aren't the best, but they'll suit my needs for what I want right now, and I won't worry as much lugging them around for the price. :p

ramyeon said:
Hmm that's alright, I need something with decent sound and control talk anyway. I've been using the standard Apple headphones for the past year or so, so I'm sure these are gonna be a huge enough upgrade to satisfy me and warrant the extra cash paid.
Oh, if you're looking for something with control/talk then those are probably best. And coming from the apple buds they will indeed be huge, just don't ever succumb to curiosity or else you'll endlessly be wondering what other phones offer. It's pretty bad for the wallet haha

LCfiner

jeesh. no need to pile on the guy who bought skull candies for 40 bucks. 3 posts in a row, lol.

it’s not like he’s blowing 350 bucks on beats.

Top Bottom