• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

LCfiner

K.Jack said:
Check the Sennheiser HD555.

I don’t really think an open headphone like that is best for long flights in a plane. he could still hear engine noise and people around him will hear the sound from the headphones.

I think a closed set would make more sense.

FoxSpirit

LCfiner said:
I don’t really think an open headphone like that is best for long flights in a plane. he could still hear engine noise and people around him will hear the sound from the headphones.

I think a closed set would make more sense.
Hmmm, since reading up a bit, any impressions of Fostex T50RP. This can seems off the hook for the price, crazy. Plus with a small mod it becomes even better.
I'll have to get one just for scientific research. Dat price for an Ortho... *swoon*

Alucrid

Banned
Funky Papa said:
Will check, thanks.

Any particular models that are laptop bag friendly? (not that I expect a lot...)

I second LordCanti. IEMs. Way easier to travel with and usually block out a good amount of sound with the right seal. For us to rec more we'd need to know more about what you're looking for.

Ashhong

Funky Papa said:
Will check, thanks.

Any particular models that are laptop bag friendly? (not that I expect a lot...)

Audio-Technica M50 maybe? The goto recommendation around here for the budget consumer. They fold up (as do a lot of other phones though) so that it can go into your bag semi-easily.

HiResDes

Funky Papa said:
Will check, thanks.

Fischer Audio FA-004, and they are well within your budget
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

01-1.jpg
02-1.jpg
04-1.jpg

Madrical

Banned
Any opinions on the AKG K702? I'm looking at closed headphones, with no real budget in mind, I'm willing to pay as much as I need to (so long as it's not something ridiculous) to get the best quality.

AKG702-l2.jpg

Echoes

davidcotton said:
Maybe I can help a little having had both the klipsch x10i and Westone 2.

Don't really know what you listen to but I prefer the sound of the westone to the klipsch, and I tend to listen to a lot of rock/metal type music. The Westone 2 gives up a little bass to the top range tier but thats it. Main reason I got the klipsch was a)was curious and b)it was on offer at the time. One other thing to note is that the westone has bomb proof construction as well as a decent guarantee. Whilst the klipsch has a few reported cable failings. Both are small and easy to fit (having said that I did get both remolded into customs by fisher, sadly I have to wait another week to get the fit sorted out but thats the risk of customs)and offer great isolation if that's required. Both run fine out of an 3rd gen Ipod touch that I use without any need for an amp.

The main differences between westone 3 and um3x is that the um3x is designed more for the stage artists, it also has a slightly different designed body/shell to the 3. The westone 3 is aimed more at the consumer with bigger bass etc.

Here's a couple of threads from headfi that may or may not help, happy reading :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/458399/westone-2-true-fit-iem-appreciation-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/382767/westone-3-impressions-and-appreciation-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/422240/westone-um3x-appreciation-thread

Cheers
Thank you! :D I'm ordering Westone 2 (or maybe 3) soon. Your input helped me. Appreciations.

LCfiner

Madrical said:
Any opinions on the AKG K702? I'm looking at closed headphones, with no real budget in mind, I'm willing to pay as much as I need to (so long as it's not something ridiculous) to get the best quality.

http://www.pccasegear.com/UserFiles/AKG702-l2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
The k702 isn't closed.

Maybe you could look at the Denon d7000.

LCfiner

leng jai said:
D7000 price range would be "ridiculous" for most people.
Yeah you're right.

I was just trying to think of a well respected pair of closed headphones and it didn't hit me that they're over double the price of the k702. The d2000 or d5000 aren't ones I could easily recommend cuz of the sucked out midrange and they're still pretty expensive.

Darklord

Banned
I've been using the AKG 242HD's for a couple of days now. Nice bass but treble could be a bit better. Overall, they seem really nice. Light and comfy too.

impruv

Neo Member
Looking at Shure SE-215k for $73 tax included. Anyone have any suggestions as to something better at that given price or should I buy the Shure

Zeth

So what do we think about the new B&W C5? They seem to be a much greater value than the P5 with regard to price:performance. And the mechanism that holds them in your ear seems great especially considering I don't do well with plugging rubber tips in my ears. Wish I could test run the things, I'd only be upgrading from Klipsch S4 so I don't know if the improvement would be worthwhile.

HiResDes

I didn't like them as much as my Eterna Rev.1's, but they have a similar bass-heavy sound signature, but I think they lack midrange oomph of the Eterna.

My Etymotic HF2 died on me yesterday :(

Just bought those this afternoon:

MACGL.jpg

I almost went for a pair of ER4 but the HF5 use the same drivers and I could not justify paying 150$ more for more or less the same thing.

LCfiner

So I’m doing some more “sideways” upgrades by trying out some new headphones. I just got delivery of some MD5000 headphones. these are modified Denon D5000 with dampened drivers and some light stuffing in the cups. I got a really nice price on them on head-fi used (<500 USD and this would typically sell for around 800 with these mods)

I had previously owned the stock D5000 but sold them as I felt the midrange was too sucked out and the bass too heavy. well, boy oh boy, these modded ones are soooo much better.

great midrange. nice and forward but not excessively so. highs are very nice and clear - these are very detailed headphones and they don’t suffer from the overly bright sound of most grados (the cans that have my favourite midrange).

but these also retain the famous bass impact that the regular D5000 have. it just doesn’t feel bloated. it’s much tighter. this really helps when listening to anything with a driving bass-line.

jeesh. these are really, really good. I prefer them to my Grado HF2 at first blush. they excel at a couple more genres compared to the HF2 (specifically hip hop and jazz)

Gvaz

Banned
I need something to hang my HD555's on so I don't keep dragging the cord on the floor when I place it on my desk. Maybe something to hang off the side since I don't have much desk space? Help me GAF!

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I love my 555's. My buddy came over to show me the Beats he bought. I almost punched him in the face. Je never listens. Thats why he has a shitty Alienware, too.

Timbuktu

Zeth said:
So what do we think about the new B&W C5? They seem to be a much greater value than the P5 with regard to price:performance. And the mechanism that holds them in your ear seems great especially considering I don't do well with plugging rubber tips in my ears. Wish I could test run the things, I'd only be upgrading from Klipsch S4 so I don't know if the improvement would be worthwhile.

Looking at these as well, as replacements for old shure e3Cs that have been replaced and finally broken again out of warranty. Reviews are good, but people's opinions do seem to split when it comes to b&w. P5 was either really good or 'the worst headphones i ever listened to.'

Gvaz

Banned
8sanders said:
I love my 555's. My buddy came over to show me the Beats he bought. I almost punched him in the face. Je never listens. Thats why he has a shitty Alienware, too.
Are the beats those dumb things with the b on the cans? Cause those things are ugly as fuck and I can't imagine they're as good as mine.

HiResDes

I think it has less to do with the brand name, and more to do with the highly imbalanced sound of their products and their price-points.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
8sanders said:
Did he get to compare with the sound of your HD555?

HiResDes

Beats Pro > HD555's

Edit: LC Finer I'm so jealous of you, I've been saving for weeks now to tryout the new HE-300 and you run through a bunch of top tier headphones on what seems like a weekly basis.

Recon

Banned
HiResDes said:
Beats Pro > HD555's

Edit: LC Finer I'm so jealous of you, I've been saving for weeks now to tryout the new HE-300

$450 vs. $100...I would hope it might edge it out. I think a more fair comparison would be the Solo or Studios.

LCfiner

HiResDes said:
Beats Pro > HD555's

Edit: LC Finer I'm so jealous of you, I've been saving for weeks now to tryout the new HE-300 and you run through a bunch of top tier headphones on what seems like a weekly basis.

I am a bit too impatient, that’s true, but the overall money spent hasn’t been too awful as I can resell old ones and not lose much money at all. (plus I straight up returned the DT1350 and HD 25-1 II that I talked about last week)

I still need to save up for weeks when I get stuff like the HF2 or these new MD5000. It helps that I sold off those super pricey LCD2 and PS1000 recently. Gives me some breathing room to experiment.

I’m looking forward to your impressions of the HE-300.

FoxSpirit

LCfiner said:
I still need to save up for weeks when I get stuff like the HF2 or these new MD5000. It helps that I sold off those super pricey LCD2 and PS1000 recently. Gives me some breathing room to experiment.

I’m looking forward to your impressions of the HE-300.
Why did you sell them? I heard they are really great :-\

LCfiner

FoxSpirit said:
Why did you sell them? I heard they are really great :-\

I really did not like them. I went over it in some longass posts before.

very dark sound sig, very little treble energy, incredibly heavy on the head, tight clamping on my skull and stiff, awkward cables.

and I don't mean dark compared to grados (anything can be considered dark compared to a grado). I mean dark compared to some really nice, tonally accurate speaker setups, too. sound didn't feel right

I know I'm in the minority opinion but that's what it is.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:
I also intend to buy an HE-300 too, hopefully next month. I've been in love with their IEMs for so long, and the idea of HiFiMan cans which doesn't require extreme amping has me salivating.

I look forward to seeing how your thoughts compare to mine.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Looks like the V-Moda M80 Crossfades are getting more positive reviews these days...makes me feel good about the purchase more since my ears are probably less trained than other folks.

Been burning them in with pink noise when I'm not using them. Probably about 50-80 hours of uptime with them at this point.

Still loving them! Been watching HeadFi like a hawk to see how the reviews shake out. Both reviews submit at this point have been positive.

Top Bottom