• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p 60 FPs on the PS5 Pro; Remedy responds, no confirmation, more details coming

DLAA is pretty good I also have been using it on my 4080M on some games at 1440p.

To me DLSS is only worth it on 'Quality'

That's the point of DLAA, to offer great IQ on a 1080p or a 1440p monitor

PS5 Pro targets 2160p TVs, so DLAA (or PSSSA if you want) is not viable

Last edited:
Nah, not true. A lot of PS fans hate it too and hated it since it was rumored. "We don’t need a Pro!" "Sony isn’t even releasing games, why release a Pro?" "What a useless console." and so on.

Even in the PS subreddit, there was pushback against the very idea of a mid-gen refresh. It’s as if the very thought of it offends some.
Thats just cope. They hate the idea that they are now going to have an inferior experience unless they get a pro. Dropping $700+ to upgrade something you already got without having to even think about it is not something many people can do.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Again, if you use DLAA at 4K it's more taxing on GPUs than NATIVE 4K

It's POINTLESS
It's not pointless, since 4K + DLAA looks better than 4K.

I'd say it's not the best thing to do tho. Me personally, I'd choose 4K + DLSS (Quality) over any of the other 2 options, since imo that's the best balance between IQ and performance.

But still, if the system is able to keep a nice steady framerate, 4K + DLAA would offer the best possible IQ, imo.

Last edited:

Bojji

Not even just that, 4K 60fps across the board. Sometimes even 8K.

16K on a good day!

What a time for the gaming tech community.

On the one hand you have tech obsessed Xbox loyalists running around in circles attempting to dismiss PS5 Pro with the same nonsense thrown at the PS5.

Then we have PC (well Nvidia) loyalists trying to convince themselves PSSR cannot match (or at leatst be comparable) DLSS.

Add into the mix all sides (including PlayStation) not really understanding the intricacies of AI upscaling, and it's the blind leading the blind, in unashamed platform wars.

PSSR needs to prove itself first, blind faith is good for religious people. DLSS 1.0 was a laughing stock when it launched,

It's not pointless at all, it's for very powerful PCs to get the most out of the games IQ.

I play Forza Motorsport with DLAA because even with DLSS quality it looks quite soft at 4k.

We are talking about PS5 Pro here, not 4000 dollars PCs anyway

It's completely irrelevant here

But let's keep telling people that 4K DLAA is easily achievable :D

The PCMR logic

Last edited:

Interfectum

Gold Member
Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

Taycan77

But what it renders from matters bro, even if you have a great reconstruction technique like DLSS or PSSR
It's all irrelevant until we have the final (well, launch) version of PSSR, alongside the final titles, and see how said games look on a large 4K TV (as opposed to a monitor). Even then we'll have examples that show amazing gains, others will be mediocre.

This gen, be it console or PC, so many titles have launched in a rough state. Then, with a little time, devs have overcome issues, and in some cases doubled the framerate! It seems silly to make definitive statements about this or that titles resolution or performance with such new technology. These are all moving targets, tools improve, PSSR will improve, experience will be gained on what works best.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Someone should go for a walk indeed. :goog_relieved:

Anyway... I hope PSSR is neat because if consoles want to stay competitive against the PC market going forward, a good AI image reconstruction tech is in order. In fact I really hope Nintendo has something like that for their next console too, my only gripe with the Switch is how blurry a lot of the games can look.

Makes me wonder if PSSR could get updates at a software level.

welshrat

Someone should go for a walk indeed. :goog_relieved:

Anyway... I hope PSSR is neat because if consoles want to stay competitive against the PC market going forward, a good AI image reconstruction tech is in order. In fact I really hope Nintendo has something like that for their next console too, my only gripe with the Switch is how blurry a lot of the games can look.

Makes me wonder if PSSR could get updates at a software level.
I think it is getting updates at the software level already, someone already mentioned 0.94, 9.4 or something like that. DLSS gets updates via software so I can see no reason why not.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Again, if you use DLAA at 4K it's more taxing on GPUs than NATIVE 4K

It's POINTLESS and not viable on most PCs, let alone consoles

Its more taxing because it looks better than native 4K. What is even "native" nowadays, it likely reverts to TAA. If there's no temporal AA solution then your 4K images will look like shit, full of artifacts in motion.

It's not pointless, the temporal solution @ 100% scale is the best goddamn visual quality we have as of now.

Was just using 4K DLAA on the FF16 Demo. Didn't know it was a status symbol. I guess it means I'm rich haha.

7a1l4n.png

PaintTinJr

That depends on how good DLSS can get over time.. what if we can run 360p base with no major loss?

What’s the cutoff?
1080p for DLLS going by Sony's old charts, because at 1080p (12Mpixel as I recall) that was required to capture the same level of detail as analogue. But with PSSR algorithm to just capture detail in a bigger image maybe 65% of 1080p pixels at worst case or 50% of pixel in a best case, based on the probability of detail saturating the proportion of pixels used capture the detail.

(640x)360p is obviously lacking in vertical and horizontal detail. If we say that for PSSR 1080p needs 25% of those pixels just to capture 1 in 4 of the surrounding low detail pixels 240x240, then the remaining 415x415 for high frequency detail info is going to struggle with textures probably more than geometry edges,

bundylove

Never heard of this guy.

But he seema to be legit and ia giving us good insider information. He also says that only digital foundry has real analisys with provided raw footage from sony.

He also says that the pro will have even a lesser performance at release as some of the videos shown were from a pc build.

I will for sure bookmark him for the future

twilo99

Gold Member
The 4070 and the 7700/7800xt are very close to being “old news” so considering the PS5 pro is considered a cutting edge gaming machine that is future proof, I guess we should all wait for the new GPU models to get a real picture?

akira__

Cerny doesn't give a fuck about DF
He does, and playstation care critical acclaim. He has send a angry email "clarifying" to DF before. The email was regarding the tempest engine and the atmos integration.

Technology is very difficult, he is doing a mix hardware, software, ML/AI on the cutting edge and at scale. It's very difficult if you work certain feature for almost a decade going through hardware, software, AI, involving different partners, internal teams, getting riduculed because of the ear shape(intregral to spacial localisation) only to become part of a console war drama narrative created by DF.

You can see in the reveal video and other older gifs that it's very stressful.

The engagement playstation have with DF is not working out, that is the reason to involve more mainstream/neutral outlet with CNET.

Last edited:
Top Bottom