• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p 60 FPs on the PS5 Pro; Remedy responds, no confirmation, more details coming

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lines up with the 45% upgrade in gpu. Sounds like remedy did no work on this and is simply running this in boost mode.

There is no ray tracing in Alan wake 2 either so we won’t see a drastic upgrade. I think avatar might benefit a bit more and should hit 1080p internally but I’m not sure if that also requires a patch to get it to the ps5 pro sdk.

I tried warning everyone in the pro leak thread when the 45% figure was leaked.

Is this with RT on or off? If this is RT with 60fps I'm not surprised, but no excuse to have that resolution with RT off on the Pro.

Last edited:

squidilix

U need to stop treat pc players as one entity, most of them(actually 90% according to steamsurvey) have weaker gpu than ps5pr0 and we talking in raster, if we include rt and upscaling its even bigger difference coz all amd cards dont count anymore for obvious reason.
On the other hand u got bleeding edge enthusiasts(its called that coz to stay on the edge u actually gotta bleed money, exhibit A:mine 3080ti that has good dlss upscaling, more rt power and 2x ps5 power so well above ps5pr0- have cost me 2200€ in mid 2021- was durning cryptoboom, nuff said).

People are making immediate claims about the console's power when we haven't seen ANYTHING yet. What we do know is that YES, it has raw power equivalent to the 7700XT or maybe a bit more... But people forget, I mean really FORGET that it's not JUST about that when it comes to PS5Pro. It's also 2x or even 3x (in some contexts) more powerful in rasterization than the PS5, so all the games that already struggle with rasterization on PS5 will definitely run better on the PS5 Pro. Finally, it has an ML chip with PSSR, which MANY seem to forget, and that's NOT present on all of AMD cards for now. It's obvious that PSSR is superior to AMD's FSR (Hardware ML vs Software ML)

Finally, why do so many people seem to 'mock' or even 'laugh' at the fact that upscaling methods like PSSR require a lower resolution to upscale to 1440p or even 4K? It's EXACTLY the same thing with DLSS and FSR...

EbGbsaC.png

The only question is how PSSR performs compared to DLSS. But apparently, this really seems sweat some PC gamers.
The real issue is how game with CPU issue will be running.

Last edited:

SmokSmog

Divide by 2 Ampere/Ada/RDNA3 FP32 flops and you will get the real flops for gaming. I think dual issue on RDNA3 was made to compete with Nvidia's dual issue in productivity like rendering/simulation.

PS5 10.3TF FP32
XSX 12.1TF FP32
PS5 Pro 16.5TF? FP32
7700XT 17.3TF at 2500mhz
7800XT 19.2TF at 2500mhz
7900XTX 30.7TF at 2500mhz
4090 45TF at 2750mhz typical stock gaming clock.

Lines up with the 45% upgrade in gpu. Sounds like remedy did no work on this and is simply running this in boost mode.

There is no ray tracing in Alan wake 2 either so we won’t see a drastic upgrade. I think avatar might benefit a bit more and should hit 1080p internally but I’m not sure if that also requires a patch to get it to the ps5 pro sdk.

What lines up, that is the same resolution as base PS5.

Three

What part don't you understand about VOPD being extremely hard to be used. Even AMD stated they could only get a 4% improvement out it in games.
Just read the article from chipsandcheese, and you will understand that the 33.5TFLOP metric is very misleading and does not represent real world performance.Even Sony only claimed a 67% wider GPU for the Pro, over the PS5. Not 300%
Yes I'm well aware that tflops do not represent real world performance though. I never claimed it did.

Skifi28

As long as the final image quality looks great on my TV and not a mess like with FSR, i dont give a fuck about the internal resolution
This is what some here are forgetting. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on PC say "I run my games at 930p" . Instead they'll say they run at 1440p DLSS. The issue so far has been that FSR2 was terrible at recontructing from low resolutions. Once you have a competent solution, the actual number of pixels doesn't matter all that much.

Last edited:

Elios83

Alan Wake on PS5 was 30fps and has literally the worse image quality ever.
Due to FSR2 artifacts the image can literally decompose in a cloud of shiny points.
This is something that DF never pointed out strongly because last year for some reason they wanted this game to be some new graphical reference at all costs. It isn't.

If Pro compared to PS5 gets rid of the atrocious upscaling artifacts, has actually better final image quality than PS5 and adds 60fps it's a huge step up and it's precisely what Cerny promised the console would do.

Some people should stop with the insecurity and nonsense.

Zathalus

The 30fps mode for Alan Wake 2 does feature RT reflections on the Pro. Not observed on the 60fps mode though. FSR2 has been replaced with PSSR as well.

Seomel

Neo Member
The 30fps mode for Alan Wake 2 does feature RT reflections on the Pro. Not observed on the 60fps mode though. FSR2 has been replaced with PSSR as well.
Yep. I really hope developers will release some upgrade trailers or clips because all this talk will continue up until release

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Stop with the bullshit DenchDeckard.

The One X was $500, £450. You're using teraflops to determine 4x more powerful than the OG xbox one (which was weak anyway) yet you use rasterisation for measuring the other jump? The Pro is a 33.5tf machine. That makes it 3x as powerful if you use the same metric.

Oh T Three .....oh dear.

Love ya but this ain't it.

Apologies that I got the price wrong on the one x. It was 450. You are right.

Last edited:

akira__

Some people should stop with the insecurity and nonsense.

Playstation has been incredibly lackluster. The real entertainment has been these salty takes.

Even if you could buy a PC that is better then the ps5 pro, it wouldn't even change the equation.

The latest rag ally is more expensive then the pro, The oled deck is in the same ballpark. Yet no one cares.

Let them try to spin, and have these salty takes and trying to spin reality.
Meanwhile come 26 Sept, they be first in line to pre order the console.

That is the true entertainment, of this console.

So MLiD leak confirmed as fake?

We reeeally can't wait, can we?
I was on hopium for that one, but I knew that realistically, it was unlikely.
We can give him credit for the fact that according to him the PSSR was not yet quite at the level of DLSS and that at the beginning of September, the developers were saying that the PSSR still had problems with image quality but that Sony continued to improve it by updating it.

The game in its leak does not add RT and does not even use PSSR. Which could also mean that they only started working on a PRO version recently.

On the DF results, we lack the information to really get an idea. It's knowing how long these studios have been working on these patches and are they finished or is it just simple work in progress because something had to be presented ?

On the performance mode of Alan Wake 2 on PRO for example we lack details because either they improved certain things graphically but if they haven't changed anything it remains strange that the game has the same internal resolution on PRO as on PS5 because using the PRO's 45% GPU gain to increase the internal resolution seems pretty obvious to me.

Last edited:

Elios83

Playstation has been incredibly lackluster. The real entertainment has been these salty takes.

Even if you could buy a PC that is better then the ps5 pro, it wouldn't even change the equation.

The latest rag ally is more expensive then the pro, The oled deck is in the same ballpark. Yet no one cares.

Let them try to spin, and have these salty takes and trying to spin reality.
Meanwhile come 26 Sept, they be first in line to pre order the console.

That is the true entertainment, of this console.

Hopefully not, I want to preorder in peace while these people waste their time online 🤭 :pie_roffles:

Fahdis

People are just jumping on the bandwagon and most of them doesn't even know what pssr is. I bet most pc folks who plays with dlss thinks they playing in native res too

No one is saying that you goof. If you were to run a game like Cyberpunk on raw GPU/CPU power alone as an example you can still do 4K/30 FPS on a 4090 or 2K/60 FPS on a 4080 on High Settings without DLSS. Where are you people coming from?

Luipadre

Gold Member
No one is saying that you goof. If you were to run a game like Cyberpunk on raw GPU/CPU power alone as an example you can still do 4K/30 FPS on a 4090 or 2K/60 FPS on a 4080 on High Settings without DLSS. Where are you people coming from?

How many pc players actually playing games nowadays in native resolution? Im playing on PC too and im always using DLSS unless its badly implemented which is rare

Last edited:

Neofire

Just reading everything on X, this doesn't sound right at all. People love taking words out of context or just not understanding basic information.

What lines up, that is the same resolution as base PS5.
But it's exactly what Cerny promised, "almost" Fidelity like graphics at 60 fps and this is probably a quick patch but by replacing FSR with PSSR the image quality is getting a huge boost 👌 also to make another point DF said don't expect any game at 30 to go to 60 but here we are with numerous examples already so obviously the 45% rendering number isn't the whole story...

SpokkX

This is not a problem as long as PSSR is of the same quality as DLSS

You should look at the end result

720p upscaled with DLSS looks really good even

Fahdis

How many pc players actually playing games nowadays in native resolution? Im playing on PC too and im always using DLSS unless its badly implemented which is rare

The point isnt AI Upscaling as a selling point. If someone doesn't wanna use any of them they can. PS5 Pro is useless without Pisser.

welshrat

Spent the morning paying on PC which is a 5900x and 7900gre so a fair bit faster than PS5 pro but kind of in the same ball park. Played few hours of avatar at max settings. Honestly if the PS5 pro comes close to this I will be really happy. I would have paid the money for just 45% better gpu without the pssr. I know a lot of you think it's mad but I just don't care. Approaching 50 years of age and I don't spend my money on the things I used to like cars, going out, etc. I have a good income and to be this represents value to me. I would have like it cheaper yes but it is what it is.

Radical_3d

I'm not. Neither am I buying any GPU. Every gamer at this point is getting scammed and inflating prices.
Think About It GIF by Identity

Nobody is getting scammed if everybody is getting scammed. Watch AMD GPUs go up in price to the same level of nVidia as soon as they catch up in IA upscaling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom