• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p 60 FPs on the PS5 Pro; Remedy responds, no confirmation, more details coming

Sure, but who is saying native resolution doesn't matter?

It doesn't matter with AI hardware upscaling: what matters is the end result you see on the screen AKA the OUTPUT

The end result will be 2x the quality or perfomance of PS5 base model

The rest is just pointless numbers to complain on the internet

Last edited:

Three

Sure, but who is saying native resolution doesn't matter?
Our beloved DF not so long ago:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Same applies with PSSR then making native res unimportant there too, no?
I was talking about DLSS, don't know how PSSR works nor how good it looks.

Plus I specified DLSS at quality mode. The resulting image quality depends greatly on the base resolution used for reconstructing the image. 1440p to 4K can look amazing. Something like 840p to whatever won't look near as good.

Senua

Plus I specified DLSS at quality mode. The resulting image quality depends greatly on the base resolution used for reconstructing the image. 1440p to 4K can look amazing. Something like 840p to whatever won't look near as good.
Yup on my 4k TV quality (1440p) and balanced mode (1253p) look great, performance mode (1080p) is where it starts getting noticeably softer, and ultra performance (720p) does not look good at all.

Bavarian_Sloth

Gold Member
The lower the native Res the lower power consumption, heat and noise.

But native should not go below 1080p or at least 900p in my opinion. Even the widely advanced Dlss starts to become image problems then.

And we still do not know if PISSER comes close to the quality of Dlss.

Senua

To me AW2 is a 30fps game
No Way Cat GIF

Three

Yep. And no one said otherwise
The other guys point was that the final output is important and what people are happy with and not the native res and I was only trying to highlight what they were trying to say with regards to PSSR, they used DLSS as an example of what has already released.

Last edited:
Well, if PISSER is as good as some hope, there's no need for a higher internal res.

AW 1 ran at sub-720p on the 360 and it still was a looker, without proper reconstruction.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

He will tell you the Xbox 2 TB is a LIMITED editon for collectors...

Too bad the hardware is exactly the same from 4 years ago

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Lol yeah. Like many here I'm on the fence on this hardware. The most I want for a pro device is my games going from 30 to 60 fps. A little crisper image is not going to do it for me this time. I owned a ps4pro and while 1440p was nice it was no enough, but then again it was a cheaper console.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
So we should jump to conclusions based on a 9-minute trailer, right?

When the console is not even on sale?

Amazing

What conclusions? They took what was given. Facts are facts. Now if Remedy takes it even further then cool. We all know Remedy didn't make money on this game. They might not give a shit. Which would be a shame because visual tech wise Alan Wake 2 is far superior to any of those other games on that list for upgrades.

Mahavastu

wtf this is fake right right
yes, of course.
We talk here about the resolution of the base PS5, so as long as Remedy did not activate endless features to get the resolutions down again, the resolution on the PS5 Pro should be way higher

Timestamped:

EDIT: it seems those are really the resolutions counted on the PS5 Pro. I guess they just switched to PSSR and still get the resolutions up... Hopefully...

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I'm guessing they are completely clueless about the PSSR patent because rendering at a high resolution and having up to 3/4 of the image with bullet holes isn't 840p( 1490x840) native. It is either 1440p native or 2160p native with holes meaning only 840p's worth of pixels were natively rendered. scaling a DLSS native 840p image with basic cubic interpolation and comparing where there is pixels available in the1440p or 2160p native PSSR image, the latter will be far. far superior pixels which still end up unaltered native 1440p or 2160p data after PSSR finishes its job of filling the difficult holes with inferred data or trend predicts the easy hole data.

Last edited:

kevboard

yes, of course.
We talk here about the resolution of the base PS5, so as long as Remedy did not activate endless features to get the resolutions down the resolution on the PS5 Pro should be way higher

I mean, doesn't the console version run at essentially low settings?
I can totally see them increasing settings instead of resolution, because they deem the image quality they get from PiSSeR more than good enough.
if they add the higher foliage density and other higher settings, I can easily see them using up all of that 45% higher GPU power they got on the Pro.
foliage is often very GPU heavy due to transparencies (which by their very nature usually lead to mass amounts of overdraw in foresty areas)

Last edited:

Zathalus

I'm guessing they are completely clueless about the PSSR patent because rendering at a high resolution and having up to 3/4 of the image with bullet holes isn't 840p( 1490x840) native. It is either 1440p native or 2160p native with holes meaning only 840p's worth of pixels were natively rendered. scaling a DLSS native 840p image with basic cubic interpolation and comparing where there is pixels available in the1440p or 2160p native PSSR image, the latter will be far. far superior pixels which still end up unaltered native 1440p or 2160p data after PSSR finishes its job of filling the difficult holes with inferred data or trend predicts the easy hole data.
Thats not what PSSR is doing. The patent you are referring to has got zero indication it’s got anything to do with PSSR.

I’ve seen the footage supplied from Sony myself, it’s quite clearly a ML based temporal upscaler, as per Sonys own developer documentation. It’s also pretty obviously not an unaltered native image nor is it superior to DLSS.

Don’t believe me? That’s fine, you can simply see it in action yourself tomorrow.

Top Bottom