• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Byvar

I don't know if any of you guys have posted this already, but I will post a link to a video featuring
red and purple
bombs fight gameplays, naga, that TChullu mage, some HobGobelins (more beefed up version of gobelins) and more, but that seemed new to me :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frx4B49j1y4
Thanks for the link, that as a pretty awesome video. I especially lol'd at the end (36:41) where the group comes across a mysterious looking-door and Ignis suspects you might need multiple keys to open it.
Prompto's comments on that:
"Keys? The kind you have in RPGs where you need to collect all of them to be able to open a door?"
Now I'm really wondering what's behind it. :eek:

Also, it looks like Ramuh can't pick you up while you're controlling the turret, seeing as the music just kept playing and the special summon particle effects even disappeared after a while, though Ramuh still picked him up when he controlled Noctis again.

Edit > I just realized Prompto's "Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes!" in the Duscae cave now makes sense. :eek:

Lol, what are those, adult trolls?

WUY0MaD.gif

Source.

Not fair Tabby,
If you hadn't taken of the meele moves in FFXV....

god-hand-azel-pummel-gif.gif

Yeah. I'm sure after chapter 5, they just said fuck it.
xD

Hopefully the whole thing is good not and SE isn't just showcasing only up to 5 because the quality nosedives after that.

I am sure it's because something pivotal happens after chapter 5 and they don't want to spoil it. Either we are going to a really important area that hasn't been revealed yet or some big event occurs. I am guessing both.

DrBretto

Banned
I don't want them to go any further TBH. As much as I'm loving having more and more footage to check out, we've seen an awful lot of this game so far. I figure we've seen enough for most people to either have their mind made up one way or the other, except for those who are going to wait for the full game reviews anyway.

FFXV localization already looks like it's going to be one of the worst localizations in the series in years...
NWyAD7.gif

Sorry about that but come on that's really reaching isn't it? I think it sounds great and it's actually gotten better now than before.

There have been way worse dubs out there.

DrBretto

Banned
That is a funny joke.
That I may or may not be secretly worried about...

I'm making light of it, but there's really no reason to believe that'll be the case. I feel pretty confident in guessing that the root of this fear comes from MGSV, so I admit there's a precedent for it, but that was a special circumstance. Konami was trying to get out of the AAA gaming business and Kojima is an eccentric mad scientist who was like a quarter billion over budget. These aren't issues for FFXV. If anything, since this game is the showcase for the new regime, they are far more incentivized to see it all the way through.

DrBretto

Banned
What if Tabata's "later part is more linear" comments actually mean it's cutscenes-only like Xenogears' CD2 because they used up the budget and ran out of time?

WnGnShz.gif

Haha, I just imagined that. Like the whole second half of the game is nothing but one huge cutscene with the occasional QTE to make sure you're awake, lol

Final Fantasy XV chapters 0-5: directed by Hajime Tabata. Chapters 5-15: directed by Yoko Taro. XV confirmed as a prequel to NieR Automata starring Lunafreya as 2B broken over Noctis's sacrifice.

Just kidding sorry!

rvdc.png

svdc.png

Jeuxfrance vid

It's been a while since I played something with such a clear "this guy is evil just from looking at him" character in a non cartoony setting. A bit too on the nose design wise.

Final Fantasy XV chapters 0-5: directed by Hajime Tabata. Chapters 5-15: directed by Yoko Taro. XV confirmed as prequel to Nier Automata starring 2B as Lunafreya broken over Noctis's sacrifice.

Just kidding sorry!

....I would be surprisingly okay with that.
I also do enjoy it more when the main character makes the sacrifice and it isn't a side character/love interest to provide motivation for the main character.

OrionX

What if Tabata's "later part is more linear" comments actually mean it's cutscenes-only like Xenogears' CD2 because they used up the budget and ran out of time?

Noctis: "Ready guys? Let's take back the throne!"

Bros: "YEAH!"

*Noctis and co. enter final dungeon, fade to black*

*Cut to elderly Luna sitting in a rocking chair*

Luna: "And then Noctis saved me from the villain, and we ruled as King and Queen of Lucis for many years..."

Fin~

Noctis: "Ready guys? Let's take back the throne!"

Bros: "YEAH!"

*Noctis and co. enter final dungeon, fade to black*

*Cut to elderly Luna sitting in a rocking chair*

Luna: "And then Noctis saved me from the villain, and we ruled as King and Queen of Lucis for many years..."

Fin~
....Okay normally I'm a pretty forgiving guy and I understand that sacrifices have to be made but this would be unacceptable and unforgivable.

LordKasual

Banned
Guys is it just me or are all optional conversations shown in these presentations (from both main and side quests) pretty much... irrelevant/pointless?

I mean whatever response you choose the outcome is exactly the same, pretty much down to the spoken dialogue.

For example in the side quest with the guy in the shack whatever you choose it simply doesnt matter at all. There is even an option "Discuss it with my friends" (or something along these lines) and you get the impression that this option is about refusing to complete the quest. Yet the response from the quest guy is like you cant wait to do what he asks.

Also when talking to Cindy you have the option to ask for a loan among other things and it simply doesnt matter at all.

I hope that this is not the case with all optional conversation in the game, because frankly it is stupid and pointless. I have no problem with RPGs that do not offer dialogue options and wheels, I certainly do have a problem if you are offering me choices that simply have no impact at all... its completely pointless.

Welcome to Final Fantasy, it's been this way since forever. You've never really been able to make choices that do anything other than a) affect a single scene, probably something to do with romance, or b) possibly get a funny situation or something based on your choices.

the only real "significant" choice i can remember is the ability in FFVI to choose the order in whos story to play after you split up. But again, after you do all of them, the story continues as if you never had a choice to begin with.

DrBretto

Banned
Don't different dialong options lead to different rewards, too? Say the wrong thing to cindy, get 4 AP. Pick the right option, get 10 AP instead. And I know we've seen the Iris scene in Lestallum (I think) change based on dialog choices as well.

OrionX

....Okay normally I'm a pretty forgiving guy and I understand that sacrifices have to be made but this would be unacceptable and unforgivable.

lol it'll be fine. Tabata knows better. He will give us the salvation we so desperately seek. Isn't that right, Tabata?

200w.gif

MilkBeard

It's been a while since I played something with such a clear "this guy is evil just from looking at him" character in a non cartoony setting. A bit too on the nose design wise.

I don't really see it that way. I could easily see these two being "goofy grandpa of hero" and "angry silent mysterious guy in your party" character tropes.

Well that explains one of the things that has been puzzling me. I have no idea why that would have been changed. The original isn't some weird terminology or anything.

Will be interesting to see how the other languages will handle those, also Cindy/Cidney's dialogue (dialect).
If the german translation is closer to the original (so far it looks like that's the case), ideally with subtitles instead of dubtitles, then I can see myself using japanese dub with german menus/subtitles. Would feel odd though since I'm used to english item and spell names.

Edit:
For fellow german fans, who don't know, there's a german "road trip" where you can try the game before release http://www.roadtorelease.de/
I'll check it out here in Hamburg.

muteki

WnGnShz.gif

I think if they were in a worst case no-money "konami" position we wouldn't have seen the delay to november.

DrBretto

Banned
I doubt Ravus is going to be as much of an antagonist as he looks.

I keep going back and forth on this one. I've been team Ardyn forever, but Ravus is the one I can see sneaking up in the background and at the halfway point and taking over as the "real" bad guy like Kefka in FFVI.

I just hope if that's the case, they do a better job of explaining his motivations than they did in Kingglaive. He was the absolute worst part of that movie.

DrBretto

Banned
CvTdVEBWIAAK_Ac.jpg

Prompto talking about an RPG with locks and a dude who can open all doors.

https://twitter.com/MoogleKupoCake/status/789499200346128385

I think that was more of a joke:

36:40~ Mysterious sealed door
Prompto: Hmm? What's this?
Gladio: What's up.
Prompto: There's something fishy about this!
Ignis: It appears to be a seal for something.
Noctis: Doesn't budge at all.
Ignis: Perhaps we need a key to remove the seal.
Prompto: Key? You mean the ones in RPGs that can open all doors?
Gladio: What?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/58m27d/translated_highlights_of_famitsu_video/

I don't really see it that way. I could easily see these two being "goofy grandpa in armor" and "angry silent mysterious guy in your party" character tropes.

That second one, sure whynot. First one though, nope. I mean I guess your grandpa could have looked like someone who tries to take over the world by killing puppies with kittens but it's a far cry from what I have in mind when I think goofy grandpa. Like just from his character design I fully expect him to be the kind of character that does some evil shit and is a general ass just to make you enjoy him getting killed off halfway through the game more.

FFXIV translators made up and changed stuff all the time, see Garuda' fight dialogs that lost any meaning.

Did that with a few major fights. Lost meaning or changed the meaning/character.

Koozek

I read that as entirely performance/technical. We were referencing the same quotes, BTW.
Wait, what are we even arguing here? :D Isn't performance/technical issues in later parts the same as, well, worse quality in later parts? In another interview he also mentioned stuff like weird character placements and animation glitches, not only framerate/visuals:
“For starters,” Tabata told Famitsu, “the optimization isn’t [yet] sufficient. There are also various bugs as well as places in which the frame rate drops.” He says that some of the bugs won’t impede with game progress, but adds, “There are still of number of bugs like characters floating unnaturally in the air or appearing all strange [and glitchy].”​

EDIT: Ah, you probably meant that actual game/quest design wasn't being improved anymore, only technical polish, right? At this point, yeah, as they said it's content locked a few weeks ago. But back when they announced the delay they were still working on game design too (UI changes, car-driving etc.).

Renmyra

Seems like they're doing a stream with new content and info @ Paris Games Week. Hopefully in English...

Please join us here on Thursday, October 27 or see us at "Paris Games Week" to watch a live stage presentation of FINAL FANTASY® XV on the SQUARE ENIX booth in Hall 1 (stand B020). The development team of the game, led by Hajime Tabata, director of FINAL FANTASY® XV is coming from Japan to present new content and new information on Final Fantasy XV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgqiT0q6Dys

DrBretto

Banned
Wait, are we even arguing here? :D Isn't performance/technical issues in later parts the same as, well, worse quality in later parts? In another interview he also mentioned stuff like weird character placements and animation glitches, not only framerate/visuals:
“For starters,” Tabata told Famitsu, “the optimization isn’t [yet] sufficient. There are also various bugs as well as places in which the frame rate drops.” He says that some of the bugs won’t impede with game progress, but adds, “There are still of number of bugs like characters floating unnaturally in the air or appearing all strange [and glitchy].”​

EDIT: Ah, you probably meant that actual game/quest design wasn't being improved anymore, only technical polish, right? At this point, yeah, as they said it's content locked a few weeks ago. But at the point when they announced the delay they were surely still working on game design too (UI changes, car-driving etc.).

Exactly. We're both talking about the same quotes, I just interpreted them differently than you. Your edit is what I meant. :p I read it as the end game stuff was just still very rough. Not lacking in content or anything.

NWyAD7.gif

Sorry about that but come on that's really reaching isn't it? I think it sounds dstwo great and it's actually gotten better now than before.

There have been way worse dubs out there.

Just to be clear, I wasn't including FFX in the time span I had in my mind (FFX was released 15 years ago, but of course it's totally subjective).

Just to be clear, I wasn't including FFX in the time span I had in my mind (FFX was released 15 years ago, but of course it's totally subjective).
Ahh okay sorry about that. But still I feel like there have been dubs that could have been better. At least this game has been trying to improve some of the dialog and stuff. But of course its your opinion and I really shouldn't be telling you that it's wrong because I could easily be wrong instead. So sorry about that.

Top Bottom