• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Interesting, so unlike Duscae, you no longer need to be in danger mode to summon. There's also a dedicated summoning button (L2).

Can't wait to see how the system works now.

Yeah, about that, did we see somewhere in the menu a sub-menu dedicated to summons ? I don't think so... right?...right?

Interesting, so unlike Duscae, you no longer need to be in danger mode to summon. There's also a dedicated summoning button (L2).

Can't wait to see how the system works now.

I am so curious about how this works. The L2 buttom prompt isn't always there and they say each summon is available under different circumstances.

I am assuming it's "some kind of criteria is met" --> hold L2 to summon. It could be that simple I suppose?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
NWyAD7.gif

Sorry about that but come on that's really reaching isn't it? I think it sounds great and it's actually gotten better now than before.

There have been way worse dubs out there.
Many adjectives can be used to describe the quality of the acting in FFXV, great is not one of them.

Mailbox

so apparently FF15 will be getting a paris games week presentation. :3

Im seriously considering just going media blackout now until november 29th. :S

Btw, here's an Italian preview video (thanks to @DrBretto):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2MzxFkfScw

What's it say?

---

Also Armiger GIF:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vj0CJeI.gif[/IMG]

The Italian video didn't tell much from what I could tell (I speak more of a Naples dialect rather than proper Roman Italian). It's just a lot of explaining the combat system, how it's different and exciting for the series, talks a little about all the confirmed summons, etc.

Nothing noteworthy.

As for Armiger....god it looks so good :D

Yeaaa....going to be all over that PGW presentation. I think they are pretty locked in on what content they are showing and which they aren't. I don't expect a whole lot more to be spoiled.

Crossing Eden

Eh it's all opinions. You may not like it but I do. So thanks for the video but it doesn't change anything for me.
I mean you can like it, but, that doesn't mean it's actually good. These actors are just not very good. Especially in comparison to what people expect from games these days.

Totally random observation but I just realized Noctis will look kinda funny when he'll show up in a future Dissidia game -- just running around with empty hands in casual clothes while most of the other heroes/villains wield visible weapons and wear fighting gear.

Mailbox

I mean you can like it, but, that doesn't mean it's actually good. These actors are just not very good. Especially in comparison to what people expect from games these days.

And just because you don't like them doesn't make them overtly bad either. at worst the actors are serviceable. at best you get used to most of them. To me, i've gotten used to them and kinda like them (though i will admit Ignis is still a bit hammy). the hate for these voice actors is overstated imo.

No need to shit in everyone's coffee every chance you get when it comes to this game.
Totally random observation but I just realized Noctis will look kinda funny when he'll show up in a future Dissidia game -- just running around with empty hands in casual clothes while most of the other heroes/villains wield visible weapons and wear fighting gear.

No one remembering Bartz or FF5 as per usual

Aters

Many adjectives can be used to describe the quality of the acting in FFXV, great is not one of them.

It's funny, just like the VA in DQVIII, and that's great to me. The only way I can enjoy a story in a videogame is when it constantly reminds me that it's a videogame story. Sometimes good (or I should say serious) acting makes me think it's a film, and I begin to see how uninteresting the story is. That's why I prefer JP VAs. They are always over the top, they know what they are doing. And this is one reason I don't play many western AAA games.

Do we know if this game has summons?
Take note guys, this is what a true media blackout means.

LordKasual

Banned
That is concerning. Why they added a bunch of flavor and "fun" to the localization, they also completely changed a bunch of stuff for no reason that effected story and characters.

What and where?

When it comes to the localization of games like XIV and FFXII, I can't see how anyone can complain about the work the localization team puts in. They add so much more flavor, personality and nuance to the world and cultures that I almost feel like it should be the base version of the script.

For all intents it is, anyway...FFXII had some stuff done after the fact, but i recall the localization team confirming that XIV develops content with the translation and localization people in the same room before it even goes into the game. So them "changing" things doesn't even apply here.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That is concerning. Why they added a bunch of flavor and "fun" to the localization, they also completely changed a bunch of stuff for no reason that effected story and characters.

The difference, I feel, is FFXIV has the localization team embedded into the main scenario and lore team itself. Koji Fox works with Banri Oda directly on a lot of ideas so it's not like things get changed around aimlessly.

When was
Bahamut
confirmed?

In the cosmogony book. They speak of the "six" and the six are Ramuh, Titan, Shiva, Ifrit, Leviathan, and Bahamut. We have also heard Noctis make reference to it as well saying stuff like "So this is the power of the six..."

Best pic I could find...

nLxWEfJz0SMAwT4nhoLc_rF9k0DB5iOOEJUnbNLw-MM.jpg

Koozek

NoctisVsStar is the only one here being on a literal media blackout. Heh.
dKs0EpT.gif

Do we know if this game has summons?
Hahaha, if you only knew. Prepare yourself to be blown away (if you don't want to keep them as a surprise, ofc):

https://giant.gfycat.com/CheerfulBountifulJapanesebeetle.gif
http://i.imgur.com/RsSESd5.gif

http://a.pomf.se/ecqukj.gif (sped-up for the GIF)

http://imgur.com/ICXk2gm.gif
http://i.imgur.com/f7sTWAc.gif

The ones that have been confirmed so far:
Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, Ramuh, Titan, Leviathan, Carbuncle

Mailbox

Kagari's Avi changed! Stella is officially dead. RIP

When was
Bahamut
confirmed?

Theres a lore book at the beginning of the game that details all the (known) summons. Bahamut was among them.
About Ramuh
also, considering the Duscae dungeon is in the game, and the ending also looks the same as that dungeon, it looks like we don't get to fight Ramuh :(

hope we get to fight bahamut though.

Theres a lore book at the beginning of the game that details all the (known) summons. Bahamut was among them.
About Ramuh
also, considering the Duscae dungeon is in the game, and the ending also looks the same as that dungeon, it looks like we don't get to fight Ramuh :(

I noticed this as well.

It looks like Ramuh is obtained in very much the same way as he was in ED. The quest name in the dungeon is even called "Revelation of the Thunder God" or something.

One thing is for sure. Bahamut's summon animation is going to be absolutely insane if we ever do get to acquire him.

Renmyra

One thing is for sure. Bahamut's summon animation is going to be absolutely insane if we ever do get to acquire him.

He seems to have taken the role of the enemy in the latest FFs. Don't think it'll be any different in this one with all the rumors and theories about Ardyn etc.

Koozek

In the cosmogony book. They speak of the "six" and the six are Ramuh, Titan, Shiva, Ifrit, Leviathan, and Bahamut. We have also heard Noctis make reference to it as well saying stuff like "So this is the power of the six..."

Best pic I could find...

I see no pic. You mean this?
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qtsAh7m.png[/IMG]

Scotia

Banned

Best pic I could find...

About Ramuh

I didn't know this, so this is awesome to hear. Thanks.

Crossing Eden

It's funny, just like the VA in DQVIII, and that's great to me. The only way I can enjoy a story in a videogame is when it constantly reminds me that it's a videogame story. Sometimes good (or I should say serious) acting makes me think it's a film, and I begin to see how uninteresting the story is. That's why I prefer JP VAs. They are always over the top, they know what they are doing. And this is one reason I don't play many western AAA games.
Bad acting isn't inherent to the video game medium. Video games often remind you that they're games the second the gameplay starts and a wall cycle, hid, and bunch of systems kick in over well animated and acted cutscenes.

What and where?

When it comes to the localization of games like XIV and FFXII, I can't see how anyone can complain about the work the localization team puts in. They add so much more flavor, personality and nuance to the world and cultures that I almost feel like it should be the base version of the script.

For all intents it is, anyway...FFXII had some stuff done after the fact, but i recall the localization team confirming that XIV develops content with the translation and localization people in the same room before it even goes into the game. So them "changing" things doesn't even apply here.

I don't particularly care about the changes made in FF14 nor am I one of the people that goes out of their way to complain about it, but I can easily see their point of view when it comes to completely changing the context/character of something major through localization. You can add/have "flavor, personality and nuance" without altering story/changing a character/scene fundamentally. What is odd to me is that you can't even see that point of view even if you don't agree with it.

To answer your question though, an easy example is Midgardsormr's dialog as part of the story pre Heavensward.

The difference, I feel, is FFXIV has the localization team embedded into the main scenario and lore team itself. Koji Fox works with Banri Oda directly on a lot of ideas so it's not like things get changed around aimlessly.

Honestly this isn't even something I had thought of, and a reason why I didn't/don't really pay that much mind to the FF14 localization changes. Now I'm more worried.

One thing I never really thought about with the list of astrals listed in that pic...(may be spoiler-y)

Each astral listed is described with, generally, a positive or complimentary tone. Steadfast, sharp, gentle, relentless, unbending....

And then Ifrit. FICKLE. How weird is that? Why would they choose that word to describe him? Given the Chapter 0 stuff and the fact that he is listed last kinda hints at 1.) He is very strong (perhaps the strongest astral?) and 2.) He probably doesn't like us.

Definition of fickle: changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection.

Very very interesting....

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
CvTdVEBWIAAK_Ac.jpg

Prompto talking about an RPG with locks and a dude who can open all doors.

https://twitter.com/MoogleKupoCake/status/789499200346128385

Sounded more like a reference to the "Magic Key" items in Final Fantasy III and Adventure, that you could buy in stores and use for a single opening of a locked door, rather than a Kingdom Hearts reference. I just finished playing FFIII NES, so I immediately thought of Thief when I read "dude who can open all doors".

He seems to have taken the role of the enemy in the latest FFs. Don't think it'll be any different in this one with all the rumors and theories about Ardyn etc.

True. I suspect a lot of those theories have some merit to them given the recent history in other games as well. We shall see...

Earlier I heard the rumor about
Ardyn being the person in the logo due to the fact that his artwork shows him with one wing
. Has that been debunked or is it still possible?

Top Bottom