• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Mailbox

2utdzli.png

Fucking hell Koozek. You made me spew Cola out my nose :'(

You and your memes

Lol, oops. I meant "QA". Just checked your LinkedIn. Impressive! Hope there's some stuff you're allowed to talk about after the game's out :p

Probably not. But I do hope people enjoy the game.

And thank you! It really is a team effort on all those projects. I strive to do my best with everything I am on. Really proud of our work on Heavensward and Bravely Second especially.

Thoraxes

I liked this discussion of the combat from J. Parrish. I feel he always gets it re modern FF combat systems.

His emphasis on playing it as tactical action (relying on warping, phasing, team work, and wait mode) as opposed to straight action resonates with my experience with Duscae, incomplete though it was.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xv-travel-diary-day-two-force-your-way

Wait mode really is starting to sound like the option that will make the gameplay bearable for me. I find my tastes line up with Jeremy's plenty too, so that's good.

Aters

What's your definition of interactive storytelling?

There is no such thing as interactive storytelling. A game either leans towards story or towards interaction, as the two things work against each other.

If you want your game to be fun, you are gonna allow the gamers do whatever they want. And you know what gamers will do? They will hang around in Golden Saucer when the meteor is about to hit the earth - not very immersive don't you think?

Or you can make a hallway shooter and tell gamers exactly what to do, such as "press F to pay respect".

Or you can make anything in between the two extremities and try to balance story and gameplay, but you can't excel in both. TLoU is the closest game I've played to the perfect balance, but I have issues with that game's story and gameplay too.

I'm not saying a fun game can't have a good story, but the story is only good in the frame of videogames.

The Italian video didn't tell much from what I could tell (I speak more of a Naples dialect rather than proper Roman Italian). It's just a lot of explaining the combat system, how it's different and exciting for the series, talks a little about all the confirmed summons, etc.

Nothing noteworthy.

As for Armiger....god it looks so good :D

Sorry for the off topic: Roman Italian? Standard modern Italian derives from Tuscan.

Rappy

There is no such thing as interactive storytelling. A game either leans towards story or towards interaction, as the two things work against each other.

If you want your game to be fun, you are gonna allow the gamers do whatever they want. And you know what gamers will do? They will hang around in Golden Saucer when the meteor is about to hit the earth - not very immersive don't you think?

Or you can make a hallway shooter and tell gamers exactly what to do, such as "press F to pay respect".

Or you can make anything in between the two extremities and try to balance story and gameplay, but you can't excel in both.

I'm not saying a fun game can't have a good story, but the story is only good in the frame of videogames.
And like people's opinion on the voice acting, this is pretty subjective...I'd drop the subject.

rvdc.png

svdc.png

Jeuxfrance vid
Wonder who the guy behind Ravus is. He's dressed in similar armor to Loqi. It is to note that the flashback where young Luna is thrown onto the ground by an armored man, that man also wore similar styled armor.

As for Verstael, it is apparent they changed the color of his gloves from white to black.
fill_750_468_2016-03-14-12-25-48-thumb.jpg

FFXV-Verstael.jpg

Maybe they thought his design looked too similar to Dr Cid:

latest

A focus on reds and purples, and white gloves.

I'm actually curious to Verstael's designs. He's supposed to be the head of the research facility, responsible for Magitek weapons, but he's dressed in armor unlike, say, FFVI's Cid(who is basically of a similar position despite being a more kind-hearted man, well, from what we see of Verstael, he looks cold and evil), or even FFXII's Dr. Cid(who dresses similar, though in the case of Draklor Laboratory, you see other Archadian scientists(men and women working with Nethicite) that are also dressed "similarly", so I guess it is that world's style of "scientific research uniform").

Koozek

Wonder who the guy behind Ravus is. He's dressed in similar armor to Loqi. It is to note that the flashback where young Luna is thrown onto the ground by an armored man, that man also wore similar styled armor.[/IMG]

Yeah, thought the same a few pages back:
Dude who hits Luna in the Dawn trailer maybe?
Code:
[IMG]http://66.media.tumblr.com/65a16b6b113230c758ae00bb5e97ac26/tumblr_nsliqiYRJj1usi9kio1_1280.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wcWbx32.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EPog1nK.jpg[/IMG]

KupoNut

Aranea gives me Beatrix (FFIX) vibes and I hope she's more than just a generic enemy just being there for a single boss fight. Really hope it isn't a pure black and white good versus evil story.

Mailbox

Aranea gives me Beatrix (FFIX) vibes and I hope she's more than just a generic enemy just being there for a single boss fight. Really hope it isn't a pure black and white good versus evil story.

I got some serious deja vu from this post. I swear I posted something very very similar multiple threads ago (i think back at or before Pax) ._.

Either way, I completely agree.

Ruruja

Isn't she voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro? I doubt she'd take such a minor role.

*Pure, theoretical spoilers based on the last couple of pages*

So..... what if Noctis
is Bahamut incarnate? You morph into your final form after revisiting chapter 0 against Ifrit.

My issue with that is this implies
Ifrit isn't summonable for much of the game if he's the (near) final boss. And neither is Bahamut.

UNLESS....

The reason Ifrit is "fickle" is because he starts on your side until his true side/intentions/identity is revealed. And maybe Noctis is conveniently hidden during Bahamut summons until the final battle reveal?

Taruranto

What and where?

When it comes to the localization of games like XIV and FFXII, I can't see how anyone can complain about the work the localization team puts in. They add so much more flavor, personality and nuance to the world and cultures that I almost feel like it should be the base version of the script.

For all intents it is, anyway...FFXII had some stuff done after the fact, but i recall the localization team confirming that XIV develops content with the translation and localization people in the same room before it even goes into the game. So them "changing" things doesn't even apply here.

The difference, I feel, is FFXIV has the localization team embedded into the main scenario and lore team itself. Koji Fox works with Banri Oda directly on a lot of ideas so it's not like things get changed around aimlessly.

This is the very definition of "changing things aimlessly"
English version:
Garuda: Heehee HAHA hahaha HEEHEE haha HEEEEE!!!
Garuda: Die! DIE!!! DIIIIIIIEEE!!!
Garuda: THE RECKONING COMES!!!
Garuda: There is no escape! No hope! NONE!!!
Garuda: My power… No…

Japanese version:
ガルーダ : はじめようぞ、虫ケラ……わたくしの風でッ! 嵐でッ! 無残に散れッ!
Let’s begin, you vermins… Die in my merciless wind and hurricane!

ガルーダ : もはや殺すのでは足りぬッ!千々に刻めッ……! 我が蜃気楼たちッ!
It’s not even enough to just kill you! Cut them into thousands of pieces! My mirages!

ガルーダ : わたくしは空の覇者なるぞッ!この翼から逃れるすべなどないと知れッ!
I am the conquerer of the sky! Acknowledge that nothing can escape from these wings!

ガルーダ : その首ッ! その四肢ッ! 引き裂いてくれるッ!
Your head! Your limbs! Let me tear them apart!

ガルーダ : ギィィッ! 憎たらしいクソ虫めッ!望みどおり、なぶってくれるわッ!
(Grunts) You odious vermins! As you wish, I will give you the torment!

ガルーダ : お、おのれ……クソ虫がぁぁぁぁぁッ!!!
You, you bastards! Vermiiiiins!!!

They even cut out the explanation for the clones.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The word interactive is directly against storytelling. The best story I experienced is always when the author dictate the experience.
Some of the best stories in games are mostly interactive and tightly interwoven experiences.

I mean, that really isn't evidence as it is your subjective opinion. There are things objectively not good in your example, like the syncing/dialogue matching the animations, or perhaps the dialogue itself (why is Gladio telling Noct to calm down when all Noct was doing was whining?). But, the voice acting itself seemed decent to me (and to others it seems "good"). But when you say mediocre, I feel that you mean less than decent. And sure, I guess no one accepted anything less than great, than we'd perhaps have better voice acting in all games.
It's not really subjective. Remember that these actors do ADR, they were watching the body language of the characters and this is the tone they went with, it's really bad. Western games at this point generally don't have an issue with acting quality. That's why shit like FFXV sticks out like a sore thumb when we get dialogue and acting quality like that.

So we're still waiting on seeing Emperor Aldercapt in the game right? Or is there footage of him? I know that he was seen in Kingsglaive.

It's not really subjective. Remember that these actors do ADR, they were watching the body language of the characters and this is the tone they went with, it's really bad. Western games at this point generally don't have an issue with acting quality. That's why shit like FFXV sticks out like a sore thumb when we get dialogue and acting quality like that.
tumblr_mwqahaR91Q1rh2tw8o1_400.gif

Mediking

And thank you! It really is a team effort on all those projects. I strive to do my best with everything I am on. Really proud of our work on Heavensward and Bravely Second especially.

When you realize that one of the many Noctis avatars on GAF, actually has worked on FFXV.....

Asking for Mognet's @SonOfEtro, someone able to translate a few tidbits from this Spanish interview with Tabata, por favor? E.g. about the connection to FNC around the 8min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfYBXeZIZw4

The interviewer asked how hard it was to introduce FNC to FF XV, basically what they have done to solve this problem.

Tabata says they didn’t have it much in mind since FF XIII and FF XV are completely different. The philosophy of Final Fantasies is that each game can be enjoyed as a standalone game but also trying to maintain some of the folklore between entries. Trying to incorporate FNC in FF XV would be counterproductive to new players although, of course, both are Final Fantasies, but they didn’t think about it too much.

LordKasual

Banned
This is the very definition of "changing things aimlessly"
English version:
Garuda: Heehee HAHA hahaha HEEHEE haha HEEEEE!!!
Garuda: Die! DIE!!! DIIIIIIIEEE!!!
Garuda: THE RECKONING COMES!!!
Garuda: There is no escape! No hope! NONE!!!
Garuda: My power… No…

Japanese version:
ガルーダ : はじめようぞ、虫ケラ……わたくしの風でッ! 嵐でッ! 無残に散れッ!

ガルーダ : もはや殺すのでは足りぬッ!千々に刻めッ……! 我が蜃気楼たちッ!
It’s not even enough to just kill you! Cut them into thousands of pieces! My mirages!

ガルーダ : わたくしは空の覇者なるぞッ!この翼から逃れるすべなどないと知れッ!
I am the conquerer of the sky! Acknowledge that nothing can escape from these wings!

ガルーダ : その首ッ! その四肢ッ! 引き裂いてくれるッ!
Your head! Your limbs! Let me tear them apart!

ガルーダ : ギィィッ! 憎たらしいクソ虫めッ!望みどおり、なぶってくれるわッ!
(Grunts) You odious vermins! As you wish, I will give you the torment!

ガルーダ : お、おのれ……クソ虫がぁぁぁぁぁッ!!!
You, you bastards! Vermiiiiins!!!

They even cut out the explanation for the clones.

"My mirages" is an "explanation"? Lol

She's a violent, megalomanicial crazy nutcase in both versions. Again, nothing was lost in translation, she has no shortage of dialogue before and after the fight. None of those dialogue changes you posted change anything about her character.

If you ask me, she sounds way more terrifying in the English version. Before the fight she tells you she's going to "festoon the canopy with your entrails", and then spends the fight thoroughly enjoying the power display. TBH I'm more interested in what changed in the pre/post fight dialogue more than her battle quotes.

Whoa wait you've worked on the game??? Really?

When you realize that one of the many Noctis avatars on GAF, actually has worked on FFXV.....

Whoa wait you've worked on the game??? Really?

I haven't said I worked on the game. And if I did you will hear me "officially" say so around launch. I usually don't say what I work on until the game I work on releases. A general rule of thumb for me. But that's never stopped anyone from speculating. ;)

Taruranto

"My mirages" is an "explanation"? Lol

Yes?
lol

She's a violent, megalomanicial crazy nutcase in both versions. Again, nothing was lost in translation, she has no shortage of dialogue before and after the fight. None of those dialogue changes you posted change anything about her character.

becomes
Heehee HAHA hahaha HEEHEE haha HEEEEE!!!

Lmao are you
sirius.
(Hey, I made a pun, I could totally work on the FFXIV translation team I guess, since translating stuff isn't necessary :^)

Mediking

I haven't said I worked on the game. And if I did you will hear me "officially" say so around launch. I usually don't say what I work on until the game I work on releases. A general rule of thumb for me. But that's never stopped anyone from speculating. ;)

Lmao. Nice dodging of crossing NDA.

I'm waiting for the bomb to drop that youre the voice actor for Noctis.

Just never admit that you worked on the localization team if you did. People will be out for blood. :3

LordKasual

Banned
Yes?
lol

becomes

Lmao are you
sirius.
(Hey, I made a pun, I could totally work on the FFXIV translation team I guess, since translating stuff isn't necessary :^)

okay yeah you're right, they should have just thrown it through Google Translate and hired someone to spruce it up so it could stay as pure and true as possible

I'm sure she'll be a reoccuring boss. But in FF games you rarely just flat out murder characters like Aranea, so im sure she'll play her part.

Has there ever been a truly evil Dragoon in the FF series? I don't know how much the rest of you know about Dragoon culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

Falk

that puzzling face

same

Rappy

Some of the best stories in games are mostly interactive and tightly interwoven experiences.

Huh? I know they do that, but then how would you direct the VA's to match the body language in that scene of Noctis whining and dragging his feet so that the "Calm the hell down" line would make sense? This is more a problem of the animations and body language itself. Just look at all the comments on the animations for interactions between Iris and Noctis.

A huge portion of arts is largely judged subjectively. It's just the same as the WoFF example you posted in another thread. That scene in particular, many thought was great and I agree. Perhaps the screaming was a little grating? Or the dialogue or voice acting in other scenes were not so good? but that scene? Seemed good to me.

LordKasual

Banned
The voice acting is just really spotty in this game. The actors are fine, the acting itself though just feels rushed, almost a bit disconnected. There are even some odd cases where the timing cuts the previous line off.

If any corners were cut on XV, it was definitely here. The Gladio/Noct scene was particularly jarring for me, it really felt like the actors weren't really given any context for the scene.

Of course, between gamescom to the first showing of the updated build, they changed and added lines of dialogue. So hopefully it's a bit better on release.

Koozek

The interviewer asked how hard it was to introduce FNC to FF XV, basically what they have done to solve this problem.

Tabata says they didn’t have it much in mind since FF XIII and FF XV are completely different. The philosophy of Final Fantasies is that each game can be enjoyed as a standalone game but also trying to maintain some of the folklore between entries. Trying to incorporate FNC in FF XV would be counterproductive to new players although, of course, both are Final Fantasies, but they didn’t think about it too much.
Thank you! :) Will quote you on Mognet.

EDIT: Ohh, just saw that @Lulost on Mognet translated the whole thing now:

"Hi everybody, it's my first post here so I took the liberty to translate the interview in spanish. :) Sorry for my poor english.

Q: Will FFXV be coming to PCs? Also, what about the PS4Pro version of the game, the improvements will consist only in 4K and HDR or there’ll be modes/configurations for the player to choose how the game looks?

HT: About the PC we’re focusing all our efforts into the console versions of the game. So we’re not looking into it right now to be honest. Making a PC version of the game would mean we’d have to readjust a lot of stuff and concentrate solely on developing it, even though the development team has shown interest in getting a PC version out at some point. About the PS4PRO, it’s basically the same thing about the PC – if we wanted to take full advantage of the new hardware that would mean putting in much effort and time to make the game look and run better…and time is something we don’t have right now neither we had foreseen the PS4Pro existence before. In the future, with some dedication and time maybe we can get a PS4Pro version of the game that can take advantage of the systems capabilities. But as of right now the game has maxed out the PS4 horsepower.

Q: The clothes Noctis wore in the first Final Fantasy Versus XIII teaser will be available in FFXV?

HT: There are no plans for something like that mostly because this is not FFVXIII. Of course if there’s a lot of people wanting and demanding it we’d be open to study the possibility.

Q: After we finish the game can we replay it to see “secondary stuff” (I think he means things and places we can’t access or see on our first playthrough)? Also, it’ll be possible to play as old Noctis and the bros?

HT: Sure, after you finish the game we’ll be able to keep on playing and exploring the world after the main quest. About the other question if you’re meaning you want to keep all the experience and levels you gained during the first play through that option won’t be possible on the base version of the game, maybe we can add something like that through DLC.

Q: I wasn’t referring about that actually. I wanted to know if when we start a New Game+ it’ll be possible to play as young party (normal Noctis and the bros) or old Noctis and co. (old Noctis and the bros).

HT: Oh, I’d rather not answer that. I actually want people to find out for themselves. Don’t want to give spoilers.

Q: Which past versions of the FF franchise has inspired them throughout the development of FFXV? There’re other games references and the development team took as inspiration?

HT: First on the artistic side, mainly the monsters, they’re all inspired by artworks made by Yoshitaka Amano which he made for the classic Final Fantasy series. So we wanted that monster style to give the world a FF saga vibe. About the gameplay and overall I took inspiration from FFV but FFXV has its own originalities and innovations.

Q: What are the differences between the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game?

HT: In terms of content they’re basically the same game. Technically they’re different pieces of hardware so be most significant difference is about the resolution maybe. They both run at dynamic resolution and to be more specific the Xbox One version is a little low on the resolution side but overall we’re taking full advantage of each piece of hardware has to offer. Players of both versions will be satisfied.

Q: What’s the link between FFXV and Fabula Nova Crystallis if there’s still any, of course. After so much time has passed and with the projects changes it seemed you had troubles fitting the concepts of FNX into Noctis story.

HT: We didn’t take the FNC too much into account when developing FFXV mostly because the world of FFXIII and FFXV are completely different. And I think with each FF title people want stories that can be experienced on its own without much background knowledge or something like that so keeping the FNC myth from FFXIII onto FFXV wouldn’t be a very good idea.

Q: At any point in FFXV development you guys thought about a Co-Op mode? Can that be coming in the future?

HT: It was developed as a single-player experience. If people really want something like that we can definitely consider. It’s very tough to convert a single-player game that was designed as such to a multiplayer game. Even though the possibilities aren’t 0% it’s complicated, let’s not discard it for the future.

Q: Do you think this FF will be valued and treasured as much as the old FFs that everyone loves so much?

HT: It’s up to the players to decide if FFXV will be one of the greats. What I can say is that we had work so hard to make a game that the fans can enjoy and like, we want them to feel like it’s a beautiful FF game. We gave it our all and hope the fans will be satisfied in the end."​

Q: I wasn’t referring about that actually. I wanted to know if when we start a New Game+ it’ll be possible to play as young party (normal Noctis and the bros) or old Noctis and co. (old Noctis and the bros).

HT: Oh, I’d rather not answer that. I actually want people to find out for themselves. Don’t want to give spoilers.

Yes, please! Playing as old Noctis after we start it again (or the main story ends) would be something to look forward to.

Rappy

Hinterlands 2.0!
I've mentioned that in another post before. It's gonna happen and it doesn't help that Leide isn't the most interesting looking area to some. But it does help that the combat and things like fishing look fun to do (I enjoyed DA: I's combat though, but FFXV's is looking more fun).

Ran rp

Well you could choose to beeline for all the main quest markers.

true, but i'm still worried it's going to be a slow affair overall. i do want to explore a bit as well.

i just want to beat the game in a reasonable amount of time without having to rush through it.

Top Bottom