• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But again it's your opinion though disguised as a fact. I'm not going to argue with you about this because I know at the end you'll win since you have more time to find evidence to back you up. Also if we only accepted superior acting and never gave the newbies a shot then we would have Nolan North, Troy Baker, and Laura Bailey (and others) voice everyone.

I'll be honest here and say that I don't really care about good and bad voice acting that much compared to others. True there is a limit for me but this game hasn't reached it yet.
I mean if you wanna try to argue for it's favor without saying "that's just your opinion" which since we're on a forum is an incredibly pointless statement be my guest. There are many ways in which that scene doesn't work, the tone of the characters is insanely at odds with the body language and animation, which both are pretty subpar at that. The dialogue itself doesn't help as neither actors sound like they were in the same room at all, exacerbated by the pacing and sound mixing. It's just not very good and it's ok to acknowledge that without resorting to "that's just your opinion man" as a rebuttal. Especially when we're getting so many good memorable scenes in games this year I legitimately wouldn't be surprised if a total nonchalant "Get off my back" became a meme.

Huh? I know they do that, but then how would you direct the VA's to match the body language in that scene of Noctis whining and dragging his feet so that the "Calm the hell down" line would make sense? This is more a problem of the animations and body language itself. Just look at all the comments on the animations for interactions between Iris and Noctis.

A huge portion of arts is largely judged subjectively. It's just the same as the WoFF example you posted in another thread. That scene in particular, many thought was great and I agree. Perhaps the screaming was a little grating? Or the dialogue or voice acting in other scenes were not so good? but that scene? Seemed good to me.
Maybe not have the actor sound like he's falling asleep during the entirety of the scene regardless of the body language they're clearly watching, I'd said it's a really good example of an actor not immersing themselves in a role due to the dialogue, over dramaticism of the scene and the poor placement of it. It's really awkwardly paced going back and really flies in the face of the tension of the situation where a giant swole ass dude is trying to kill you.

Falk

that puzzling face
Only the officially released trailers and the officially released Episode Duscae and the officially released Platinum Demo, right? *wink wink nudge nudge*

I can confirm that I engineered/produced music on the officially released trailers that feature music that I engineered/producedand also Episode Duscae and the Platinum Demo.

I also worked on Lightning Returns.

<:D

OrionX

I can confirm that I engineered/produced music on the officially released trailers that feature music that I engineered/producedand also Episode Duscae and the Platinum Demo.

I also worked on Lightning Returns.

<:D

Wow that's really cool.

...Omg I feel like I just spoke to a celebrity. *blushes*

Sagely

My attitude towards this game has evolved so much in the past couple of weeks. The journey from apathy to mild curiosity, building to cautious optimism and now genuine excitement has been a good one and I'm glad that others seem to be coming around too.

Eurogamer's 50 minutes, the Brotherhood anime, and all these preview impressions went a long way to transforming my opinion. The one thing that was a draw for me right from the start was the male bonding and brotherhood aspect, which I wasn't sure would be given enough emphasis in the game at first; but the Link Strikes and personal moments shown in the gifs posted have silenced my concerns. Comparisons to both Xenoblade open worlds have me very excited too and the combat looks great in the right hands.

Not only do I appreciate the modern direction, but the characters, art and music all seem very much to my tastes. In some ways it's making me think of FFVIII which has always been my favourite.

Can't wait to go on scenic drives with these fellas and hang out in between battles. It feels good to be excited for an FF game again :')

Koozek

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6GSTplN.png[/IMG]

xzfYize.gif

My attitude towards this game has evolved so much in the past couple of weeks. The journey from apathy to mild curiosity, building to cautious optimism and now genuine excitement has been a good one and I'm glad that others seem to be coming around too.

Eurogamer's 50 minutes, the Brotherhood anime, and all these preview impressions went a long way to transforming my opinion. The one thing that was a draw for me right from the start was the male bonding and brotherhood aspect, which I wasn't sure would be given enough emphasis in the game at first; but the Link Strikes and personal moments shown in the gifs posted have silenced my concerns. Comparisons to both Xenoblade open worlds have me very excited too and the combat looks great in the right hands.

Not only do I appreciate the modern direction, but the characters, art and music all seem very much to my tastes. In some ways it's making me think of FFVIII which has always been my favourite.

Can't wait to go on scenic drives with these fellas and hang out in between battles. It feels good to be excited for an FF game again :')

Koozek

You remember what they said about the gifs, right? But hmm, sounds interesting....not getting my hopes up though.
They're small. All of those together are smaller than your average combat or scenery GIF (shoutout to benzy!) in every thread and they're also nothing spoilerific. And I used QUOTE, not CODE, so they won't be spammed. I learned^^ The other day I only hyperlinked the summons GIFs instead of embedding. If you worry that much about GIFs on mobile you should probably turn them off in mobile GAF's settings.

Rappy

They're small. All of those together are smaller than your average combat or scenery GIF (shoutout to benzy!) in every thread and they're also nothing spoilerific. And I used QUOTE, not CODE, so they won't be spammed. I learned^^ The other day I only hyperlinked the summons GIFs instead of embedding. If you worry that much about GIFs on mobile you should probably turn them off in mobile GAF's settings.
Eh, I'm not on mobile. Just reminding you in case you may have forgotten.

Koozek

Eh, I'm not on mobile. Just reminding you in case you may have forgotten.
Ah, mistook you for someone else, who in that other thread said they would only not visit FFXV threads on mobile anymore because of me, lol. Ironically, I crashed my own phone with that post the day after when I forgot to turn GIFs back off after testing something regarding CODE-tagged images and GIFs :D

Sagely

tower of gifs
Oh my god LOL at that second gif. So much banter, I need this already.

Wonder what this reveal will be...those are quite strong words and I don't know what kind of announcement could really live up to that. But I'm sure it'll be good and waiting for it is half the fun :)

Do you really have to aim and consider your link attacks?

Watched the gifs earlier, and a lot of them looked like they completely missed their target

Thank you! :) Will quote you on Mognet.

EDIT: Ohh, just saw that @Lulost on Mognet translated the whole thing now:

HT: Sure, after you finish the game we’ll be able to keep on playing and exploring the world after the main quest. About the other question if you’re meaning you want to keep all the experience and levels you gained during the first play through that option won’t be possible on the base version of the game, maybe we can add something like that through DLC.

Am I reading this wrong or did Tabata just confirmed the game won't have a New Game+? I really hope that's not the case. I love doing NG+ in RPGs where I'm strong as hell and I'm one-shoting every poor soul that comes my way!

Come on Tabata, let me do that in FFXV.... :(

Am I reading this wrong or did Tabata just confirmed the game won't have a New Game+? I really hope that's not the case. I love doing NG+ in RPGs where I'm strong as hell and I'm one-shoting every poor soul that comes my way!

I wouldn't mind the option to keep playing as older Noctis post story or do NG+, if it's not included I am sure it could be patched in.

Mailbox

In Ardyn's dungeon

Stella is the final Aeon.
The figure that lies asleep in the fantasy.
(Edit: no but seriously, all the taglines in the vs13 2011 trailer still apply to FF15 except for "the figure that lies asleep in the fantasy". What the fuck is "the figure".)

For XIII preview events, were they playing the early or late-game stuff?

Assume it was early, but the common thought about the game seems to be that it gets good after 20 hours

I think XV will be good, but XV's marketing has been mostly an embarressment so I can't imagine anything on the 27th being all that exciting.

Well Tabata has already confirmed a new game plus, what it is, I don't think we know yet.

Aters

After that Moogle countdown, I won't give a damn about whatever the market team has to say. I was legit pissed!

Tyaren

After that Moogle countdown, I won't give a damn about whatever the market team has to say. I was legit pissed!

At least we will get to see the moogle in-game video soon. They are by now very near to that reward. Probably within in the next 24h. :)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
For XIII preview events, were they playing the early or late-game stuff?

Assume it was early, but the common thought about the game seems to be that it gets good after 20 hours

I think they were often using the Gran Pulse area to show off the game mechanics. Btw even if many here loudly loves to say that FFXIII was utter shit in the end was a well reviewed and received game and a decent FF overall. It just came out at a difficult time where wRPGs were taking over and open world RPGs were starting to be what people expected from ANY type of rpg. So a game structured like FFX ended up struggling more because of this.
FFXV is a different case, this one tailored around western sensibilities, well except for the main cast but they couldn't change that too. It should be just tine.
I'm very curious about FFXVI at the moment. The direction to take already looks clear.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think they were often using the Gran Pulse area to show off the game mechanics. Btw FFXIII even if neogaf thinks differently was a well reviewed game and a decent FF. It just came out at a difficult time where wRPGs were taking over and open world RPGs were starting to be what people expected from ANY type of rpg. So a game structured like FFX ended up struggling more because of this.
FFXV is a different case, this one tailored around western sensibilities, well except for the main cast but they couldn't change that too. It should be just tine.
I'm very curious about FFXVI at the moment. The direction to take already looks clear.

Nope. FFXIII was suffocatingly linear by its own merits. I found it jaw dropping how long they could make you run in a straight line, and at the time I only had the context of years of other FFs and other Japanese games in general. The most charitable comparison you could make is to games like FFX and Lost Odyssey, and those games featured many hubs and towns to run around in, and never set off alarm bells in the way that FFXIII did. There are sections in that game that give you the feeling of running up the endless staircase in Mario 64.

I guess you could compare its linearity to 2D sidescrollers? But no jRPG of any era. Even mostly linear games like Devil May Cry had to-and-fro, door-and-key mechanics that XIII didn't so much as pretend to provide.

In the years after FFXIII when I filled in my knowledge of Bethesda games, I looked back on it even worse. But before I had that wRPG context, it was clearly poor by its own metrics.

It's not GAF. For 6 years the FF brand has been viewed with puzzlement by mainstream gamers who don't at all understand the fuss of those who played the old ones. I talk to people about this series, and younger people whose era is FFXIII don't really get the fuss. Let us hope XV justifies the outdated gushing of us old-time fans.

Asd202

Would think pro version would pretty much have to be part of the PGW conversation right?

Oh yeah I forgot about PGW. This stream will be from PGW right? Maybe Sony will be showcasing more about Pro.

I really really really hope that's not it though. The only Summon we haven't seen is Bahamut and I wanna be surprised with him :S

Yeah but we still haven't seen Summon attacks outside of Ramuh and Titan. There big scale and flashy perfect for marketing the game. I also don't want to see more so maybe I'll skip this.

Rappy

Nope. FFXIII was suffocatingly linear by its own merits. I found it jaw dropping how long they could make you run in a straight line, and at the time I only had the context of years of other FFs and other Japanese games in general. The most charitable comparison you could make is to games like FFX and Lost Odyssey, and those games featured many hubs and towns to run around in, and never set off alarm bells in the way that FFXIII did. There are sections in that game that give you the feeling of running up the endless staircase in Mario 64.

I guess you could compare its linearity to 2D sidescrollers? But no jRPG of any era. Even mostly linear games like Devil May Cry had to-and-fro, door-and-key mechanics that XIII didn't so much as pretend to provide.

In the years after FFXIII when I filled in my knowledge of Bethesda games, I looked back on it even worse. But before I had that wRPG context, it was clearly poor by its own metrics.

It's not GAF. For 6 years the FF brand has been viewed with puzzlement by mainstream gamers who don't at all understand the fuss of those who played the old ones. I talk to people about this series, and younger people whose era is FFXIII don't really get the fuss. Let us hope XV justifies the outdated gushing of us old-time fans.
The disdain for XIII is real. Perhaps linearity doesn't bother others as much? It certainly didn't bother me that much and I like XIII over VIII and XII. And this is with context of having played various types of games western or Japanese. Not saying the game is perfect and I'd say it has larger issues than its linearity, but does that mean people can't think the game is good or a decent FF?

You already have people saying XV isn't Final Fantasy. "The combat isn't ATB or turn based." "You only get to control one character." "There's 'mmo' kill quests." "It's open world with open world bloat.".

Philippo

If they're showing something Summon related, it's going to be Leviathan, eiter the boss fight or the attack.
Didn't Tabata wanted to show it off at Gamescom but changed their plans after the delay?

Top Bottom