• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

firelogic

I'd like to know if FFXV has a lot of motion blur or shaky-cam. Has anybody mentioned it in their previews? I'm asking because I couldn't play FF Type-0 (also a Tabata game) and more recently, Rise of the Tomb Raider, because they were headache and nausea inducing.

I'd like to know if FFXV has a lot of motion blur or shaky-cam. Has anybody mentioned it in their previews? I'm asking because I couldn't play FF Type-0 (also a Tabata game) and more recently, Rise of the Tomb Raider, because they were headache and nausea inducing.

From previews cam issues have been aplenty, but there was a tweet last week of them working on cam issues for day 1 patch.

The track record of fixing stuff for this game so far has been pretty amazing, so in Tabata we trust.

Koozek

Definitely no insane motion-blur like Type-0, it's really not noticable. Camera is still jittery in closed spaces at parts, especially during chaotic battles, but otherwise not too shaky. Nobody mentioned that in previews, afaik. I don't know what your treshold is though, so better watch some of the preview videos yourself.

Apparently people missed this last page, so I ask again.

Do we know if weapons and armors are tied to your level? I mean like Witcher 3 when you can't use better weapons until you reach certain levels.

Koozek

Apparently people missed this last page, so I ask again.

Do we know if weapons and armors are tied to your level? I mean like Witcher 3 when you can't use better weapons until you reach certain levels.
Haven't seen anything indicating that, afaik.

v5mMFhy.jpg

firelogic

From previews cam issues have been aplenty, but there was a tweet last week of them working on cam issues for day 1 patch.

The track record of fixing stuff for this game so far has been pretty amazing, so in Tabata we trust.

Definitely no insane motion-blur like Type-0, it's really not noticable. Camera is still jittery in closed spaces at parts, especially during chaotic battles, but otherwise not too shaky. Nobody mentioned that in previews, afaik. I don't know what your treshold is though, so better watch some of the preview videos yourself.

Ok, thanks for the info! I already pre-ordered it about 2 years to go in order to save $31 but just wanted to know beforehand because Rise of the Tomb Raider was a total bummer. I could only play it for about 30mins before having to quit. On the other hand, Uncharted 4 was fine. But then the Arkham games kind of do it to me because the camera is pulled in way too tight over Batman's shoulder.

I guess it's a combo of FoV, motion blur, and shaky-cam. I wish console games had sliders/toggles for options like those.

People were really high on the demo too.

Yeah, but it's not quite the same situation. We should make this pretty clear.

I was one those who played the demo a lot, but at the same time it was just less than two hours of the whole game. Looked great, had good music and amazing production values. What a joy. And like everyone I was expecting the game to open at some point, just not like 25 hours after the beginning.

Now imagine if XIII was previewed just like XV. So here's the first 15 hours of game for you to enjoy and - surprise - they are almost exactly as the first 2. We saw that reaction when the game released in Japan and it was far from good.

"No cities, no side-quests, no content, it's just go forward and fight ad aeternum".

Now we see previews where people advanced around 1/3 of XV's whole main scenario, and and very excited for what comes next. Maybe it'll be like a reverse XIII (although I should state XIII becames exactly the same of the first half after you leave the Steppe), or maybe the more linear approach and the change in how you explore/travel the world will feel like the most genious approach to it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I hope some folks here will bear in mind that I'm generally quite positive when discussing this game, but... I'm going to post something potentially negative despite all the good buzz this week.

I'm worried about these multiple outlets commenting on the story feeling barebones and unable to properly stand on its own thus far. Now, I'm really not trying to twist words. I realize that isn't precisely what has been written. But to me, that's more or less the gist, and it's the same issue that's cropped up with other open-world games, and it was #1 concern heading into MGSV. And I feel as though that concern wound up vindicated, as much as I'd wished otherwise.

Really hoping the narrative amps up after the first five chapters (or that I find it more compelling than a couple of these articles' authors seem to feel). This is kinda why I dislike dividing story-driven games into chapters; 1-5 tells us directly that one third of the main game was sampled, and more than one previewer felt it worth mentioning that it's mostly setup and important events occur elsewhere with only a few sentences from our heroes to recognize them. I'm struggling to think of another Final Fantasy which has this potential problem.

Maybe it's time I went on blackout. So much looks so good with FFXV and yet my recurring fear with open-world is once again coming back to haunt me... this time, with one of my two favorite franchises. (The other one being Mass Effect, so... I can expect more gamer-anxiety come March, I guess!)

Koozek

I hope some folks here will bear in mind that I'm generally quite positive when discussing this game, but... I'm going to post something potentially negative despite all the good buzz this week.

I'm worried about these multiple outlets commenting on the story feeling barebones and unable to properly stand on its own thus far. Now, I'm really not trying to twist words. I realize that isn't precisely what has been written. But to me, that's more or less the gist, and it's the same issue that's cropped up with other open-world games, and it was #1 concern heading into MGSV. And I feel as though that concern wound up vindicated, as much as I'd wished otherwise.

Really hoping the narrative amps up after the first five chapters (or that I find it more compelling than a couple of these articles' authors seem to feel). This is kinda why I dislike dividing story-driven games into chapters; 1-5 tells us directly that one third of the main game was sampled, and more than one previewer felt it worth mentioning that it's mostly setup and important events occur elsewhere with only a few sentences from our heroes to recognize them. I'm struggling to think of another Final Fantasy which has this potential problem.

Maybe it's time I went on blackout. So much looks so good with FFXV and yet my recurring fear with open-world is once again coming back to haunt me... this time, with one of my two favorite franchises. (The other one being Mass Effect, so... I can expect more gamer-anxiety come March, I guess!)
Tabata has stated several times that people don't have to worry about lack of story and that it's just as story-heavy as older FFs and can be played like them if you don't want to do any extra stuff by just following the main path (or road, literally). Just recently he said this:

“The entire game structure for Final Fantasy XV consists of both open-world and linear parts,” said Tabata. “The first half keeps going as an open-world, but the story in the second half’s is led by a linear path. That way, you won’t get bored of an open-world as the rest of the game tightens, so we made it in a way that you’ll also get to advance through it as you have in conventional Final Fantasy games. If you play through the first half and only the main route of the second half, I believe the estimated play-time sits at around 40 to 50 hours.”​

Though that doesn't mean the story will be well-told, but at least you can expect there to be story at all, which was your other worry if I understood you right.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yup, you understood right! That's good to hear, although didn't the part about switching to linearity in the second half end up having Tabata clarify that he was actually talking about a late-game point of no return?

In any case, I am generally quire pleased with what Tabata says about story of FFXV relative to what Kojima was saying prior to the release of MGSV. So, that's good.

Wagram

Here's hoping outlets have plenty of time to publish what FFXV runs like on Pro before release. Even if it's stable 30 fps I would probably buy one.

I think what's really telling is that most previews say they can't wait to continue the story after Chapter 4/5, and they find the story so far emotional/fascinating/compelling. I think that is a great sign. ;)

I think what's really telling is that most previews say they can't wait to continue the story after Chapter 4/5, and they find the story so far emotional/fascinating/compelling. I think that is a great sign. ;)

From what I gather, I hear the biggest drag about the story is how the game starts.

Msgv had a great opening story sequence, then we all saw how the rest of the story went. I only bring this up for people with fears of this turning into a msgv problem.

Mcdohl

People were really high on the demo too.

This scares me.

I loved the game when I played it at PAX, but there are things that were impossible to judge from that demo, such as story, scenario (how well it's connected, etc), progression, etc.

I want to believe 15 hours of impressions should be enough to cast those fears aside, but you never know.

I'm staying optimistic, but I can't blame people for staying cautiously optimistic or completely on the fence.

oh you tease.

:)

From what I gather, I hear the biggest drag about the story is how the game starts.

Msgv had a great opening story sequence, then we all saw how the rest of the story went. I only bring this up for people with fears of this turning into a msgv problem.

As previewers have said, the story is something that they quite enjoy. I really look forward to reviews and look forward to seeing what the fans will have to say when it is out. :D

This scares me.

I loved the game when I played it at PAX, but there are things that were impossible to judge from that demo, such as story, scenario (how well it's connected, etc), progression, etc.

I want to believe 15 hours of impressions should be enough to cast those fears aside, but you never know.

I'm staying optimistic, but I can't blame people for staying cautiously optimistic or completely on the fence.

Don't let Kagari scare you. XIII had positive impressions because it was a two hour slice from the middle of the game where people couldn't make heads or tails about the story. These previews are from the first five chapters of the game. With that, previewers have been given a deep dive into how the game starts. I don't think they would be saying the start of the story is really good if they didn't believe it themselves.

Again, comparing XV previews to XIII previews is being willfully misleading and is like saying "previews were positive for XIII, so we shouldn't listen to previews for A Realm Reborn." It's grossly misleading and trying to compare two situations in a vacuum, like previewers don't know what happened with XIII. That's why almost every preview starts with "I went into this cautious/with trepidation."

Edit: As a matter of fact here's a preview where the previewer, I believe, hasn't seen Brotherhood or Kingsglaive and has been harsh of FF as a whole. It surprised people who have worked with him before that now they themselves are excited for the game.

This scares me.

Recently, Mafia 3 had sterling impressions until about six hours in. 15 hours seems like it should be safe, but you really do never know.

Go_Ly_Dow

Also, all FF games take a sudden change of pace a few times throughout each game.

I'm sure XV will be no different.

I was a fetus when this was announced. Yearning is all I've ever known.
Hahahaha.....oh....

I never realized just how much has happened during those 10 years. I remember reading about this game along with a FFVII remake coming out for the PS3 in my EGM magazine. Now, FFVII is still not out yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
:)

As previewers have said, the story is something that they quite enjoy. I really look forward to reviews and look forward to seeing what the fans will have to say when it is out. :D

Don't let Kagari scare you. XIII had positive impressions because it was a two hour slice from the middle of the game where people couldn't make heads or tails about the story. These previews are from the first five chapters of the game. With that, previewers have been given a deep dive into how the game starts. I don't think they would be saying the start of the story is really good if they didn't believe it themselves.

Again, comparing XV previews to XIII previews is being willfully misleading and is like saying "previews were positive for XIII, so we shouldn't listen to previews for A Realm Reborn." It's grossly misleading and trying to compare two situations in a vacuum, like previewers don't know what happened with XIII. That's why almost every preview starts with "I went into this cautious/with trepidation."

Edit: As a matter of fact here's a preview where the previewer, I believe, hasn't seen Brotherhood or Kingsglaive and has been harsh of FF as a whole. It surprised people who have worked with him before that now they themselves are excited for the game.

I wasn't trying to scare anyone, you're putting words in my mouth. I just answered someone's question on the positive outlook of XIII prior to launch.

Aenima

Hahahaha.....oh....

I never realized just how much has happened during those 10 years. I remember reading about this game along with a FFVII remake coming out for the PS3 in my EGM magazine. Now, FFVII is still not out yet.

FFVII Remake was never announced for PS3. What you read back then was just rumors and wishfull thinking. FFVII Remake was only oficially announced at E3 2015.

I wasn't trying to scare anyone, you're putting words in my mouth. I just answered someone's question on the positive outlook of XIII prior to launch.
That sounds familiar...

In any case we won't know until we have the game in our hands. I mean, NIER received average reviews if I recall correctly but it gained a great cult following and is a favorite of many (including me). But at least we know that the first 15 hours are great! We won't need to spend 50 hours like that one other game.

FFVII Remake was never announced for PS3. What you read back then was just rumors and wishfull thinking. FFVII Remake was only oficially announced at E3 2015.
giphy.gif

These positive previews are great and painful all at once, as it doesn't help the wait. I feel like all the games I've been trying to play recently are just time filler until FFXV comes out. I then get annoyed the games haven't magically turned into FFXV whilst I'm playing them. I inevitably end up watching Netflix in a sulk instead. (Black Mirror has been very good, but it didn't magically turn into FFXV, either.)

Lawd. The wait for Versus and TLG already felt long enough when they were first announced, ha, I had no idea of what was to come. I still can't believe both games are releasing so close to each other.

I think I botched that part about FFVII...it was a joke guys. Cause every magazine I read kept talking about the game having a demo that showed how the game will look when it releases in 2 to 3 years.

Aters

It's still kind of mystery for me that people would get so hyped for a CG trailer. I watched the 2006 trailer and to be quite honest, nothing in that trailer screamed "buy me" to me, except that, well, it has Final Fantasy in its logo.

It's still kind of mystery for me that people would get so hyped for a CG trailer. I watched the 2006 trailer and to be quite honest, nothing in that trailer screamed "buy me" to me, except that, well, it has Final Fantasy in its logo.

Tetsuya Nomura was known to be the director of the game and KH is and was a game people really liked. I had seen more than a few people within the fanbase suggesting a Final Fantasy with KH gameplay, so the hype for the 2006 trailer was huge as a result of that.

Mcdohl

I guess scared was a poor word choice.

What I meant is that no matter how hyped we are, there's always room for disappointment. This is the scary thought.

I'm excited as fuck and the game has convinced me enough to pre-order the UCE, but I also do not want to be blinded by my fandom and say it's a 10/10 without having actually finished it.

Do not worry, I still believe :)

kiaaa

Tetsuya Nomura was known to be the director of the game and KH is and was a game people really liked. I had seen more than a few people within the fanbase suggesting a Final Fantasy with KH gameplay, so the hype for the 2006 trailer was huge as a result of that.

Also, the trailers were more FF7 than any of the games in the series had been since, which was pretty exciting.

Also, the trailers were more FF7 than any of the games in the series had been since, which was pretty exciting.

Yeah, this was definitely a big factor too. That feel, the setting, the powers of the main character, all of them were very exciting things. I still go back and watch the 2013 trailer now and then because I think it's the last time we saw the game in its original form as it was intended from the beginning.

I remember when Versus was announced. Hype was big. Very big. Kingdom Hearts was fresh in people's minds and a new generation of consoles was coming with new power. Versus looked like it would be the answer to Kingdom Hearts and that was a plus for many people. Also, Tetsuya Nomura. Somnus too.

OrionX

Some things excite people, some things don't. Everyone's different. Mystery solved.

theofficefan99

Story-wise, I feel like FFXV is going to take a while to pick up. Once that whole Altissia conflict happens, though, (whatever chapter that's in... probably 8 or 9) I feel like the game picks up and won't stop at all.

Tyaren

What I worry about and what some of the previevers already addressed:
It might turn out as if the stories and background info told in Kingsglaive and Brotherhood are necessary or at least pretty important to know when experiencing the game story after all. Without that knowledge the game's story and characters might feel flat and incohesive.
They claimed they didn't cut anything from the game and the stories of Kingsglaive and Brotherhood are just optional info but to be honest I never really believed them 100% in that regard. :/
I really hope the characters and stories are still deep and cohesive for players that didn't watch the movie and anime series. I really want people that didn't to also enjoy the game story and characters.

Top Bottom