• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

I wasn't trying to scare anyone, you're putting words in my mouth. I just answered someone's question on the positive outlook of XIII prior to launch.

That first sentence was a joke, Kags. Chill. I thought the sheer ridiculousness of the sentence would be telling enough.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. ;)

I guess scared was a poor word choice.

What I meant is that no matter how hyped we are, there's always room for disappointment. This is the scary thought.

I'm excited as fuck and the game has convinced me enough to pre-order the UCE, but I also do not want to be blinded by my fandom and say it's a 10/10 without having actually finished it.

Do not worry, I still believe :)

Oh sure. There's always that possibility. But I do sincerely hope you enjoy it. And I think you will. ;)

Aters

Tetsuya Nomura was known to be the director of the game and KH is and was a game people really liked. I had seen more than a few people within the fanbase suggesting a Final Fantasy with KH gameplay, so the hype for the 2006 trailer was huge as a result of that.

Fair enough. I'm never a KH fan so I guess that's why.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Fair enough. I'm never a KH fan so I guess that's why.

I'm a fan of KH (or... let's say were, before all the mediocre spin offs with the exception of BBS started to ruin the franchise) but the original VSXIII 2006 trailer didn't do anything to me. Among the FNC titles it was actually the only one I didn't care. FFXIII had all my attentions at that time (colorful world and cast, hamauzu sunnier music ect.). It also didn't help that the char design of Noctis looked like a rejected sketch of KH at that time. 2011 trailer already made things a bit more interesting. But I honestly prefer the current direction of the project, it just feels more "FF" to me (but still not "FF" enough, FFXIII art direction still remains my favorite in the series till now).

Tyaren

Let's have some more visual media in here, even if a little small and even though we've seen some of the pics already. They are from the Japanese Gamer.ne.jp site (http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201610200012/):

12.jpg

13.jpg

16.jpg

20.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

29.jpg

45.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

34.jpg

FFXV can be a really pretty game in small pics and with squinty eyes. :p No, seriously, I can't wait to explore this gorgeous world. :)

Going back to Episode Duscae, Duscae has improved so much in the newer footage. Lighting during the day was pretty flat in the demo and aliasing is really prominent. Now it looks much cleaner and brighter.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Going back to Episode Duscae, Duscae has improved so much in the newer footage. Lighting during the day was pretty flat in the demo and aliasing is really prominent. Now it looks much cleaner and brighter.

Not to mention the framerate always around 15/25 fps.

Playing this theme while scrolling through the screenshots above made me emotional.

do6cxBw.gif

Yoko continues to impress, I wonder how relieved she must feel knowing we can finally listen to her music after all these years. Finally! my work is being appreciated! I bet that's how she feels.

I know she made new music after it changed to FFXV. This was probably composed when it was still FFvsXIII, has such a melancholy vibe, but a slight hint of optimism for the future. Apocalypsis Noctis sounds like it should have been from Type-0.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yoko continues to impress, I wonder how relieved she must feel knowing we can finally listen to her music after all these years. Finally! my work is being appreciated! I bet that's how she feels.

I know she made new music after it changed to FFXV. This was probably composed when it was still FFvsXIII, has such a melancholy vibe, but a slight hint of optimism for the future. Apocalypsis Noctis sounds like it should have been from Type-0.

The in-game version of Apocalypsis Noctis sounds more in line with her previous works.

I heard it in one of the play-through videos, but can't remember which one.

Nauren

I did as well. I loved Duscae and figured I'd play it after the hour long videos popped up. I was like "wtf is this crap?". The new videos look so much better in every way.

The in-game version of Apocalypsis Noctis sounds more in line with her previous works.

I heard it in one of the play-through videos, but can't remember which one.

There are so many of them (play-through videos) brother. It's kinda awesome, but at the same time I feel like I should have went media black out a month ago.

Forget that I'm too excited and all the new footage is incredible. The positive feedback from the press surprised me to be honest, but I'm glad people have have played it are enjoying it.

Ran rp

That first sentence was a joke, Kags. Chill. I thought the sheer ridiculousness of the sentence would be telling enough.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. ;)

Oh sure. There's always that possibility. But I do sincerely hope you enjoy it. And I think you will. ;)

winky faces are always creepy

But how am I supposed to keep making fun of SE Japan if they manage to pump out good console games?!

Well, at least I'll always have KH3 never releasing :)

Sagely

What I worry about and what some of the previevers already addressed:
It might turn out as if the stories and background info told in Kingsglaive and Brotherhood are necessary or at least pretty important to know when experiencing the game story after all. Without that knowledge the game's story and characters might feel flat and incohesive.
I'm a little bit concerned about this too, having watched Brotherhood and with plans to watch Kingsglaive soon. Brotherhood went a long way to fleshing out the main crew, which I think is important given how bland some people consider them at first glance. For instance I initially found Prompto really annoying and did a complete 180 on him after watching Brotherhood. Ignis and Gladio also benefit from the extra context for their relationship to Noctis and each other. It feels like the crew could be a hard sell without the extra material, but I hope it's not the case. Also I really liked Brotherhood, and it's free and low-commitment!

As for the Kingsglaive story details I'm less concerned about that, because I think in an RPG the enjoyment rides more on liking the characters...but still if the in-game story is presented in a way that assumes you already know details from Kingsglaive then that could be a problem.

'Dawn' is just perfection. Can't wait to hear it in-game.

This wait is unbearable.

This. Everyone always talks about Somnus and Omnis Lacrima (which are both freakin' amazing don't get me wrong) but Dawn literally sends shivers up my spine.

Love me some Yoko.

the screens are beautiful. Five weeks guys.

Soon...

weeks late:

it's still L/R flipped

:(

Poor Falk.

This. Everyone always talks about Somnus and Omnis Lacrima (which are both freakin' amazing don't get me wrong) but Dawn literally sends shivers up my spine.

Love me some Yoko.

Song of the Stars, Dawn, and Luna's Theme are my favorite tracks in the game.

!!! Cat !!!

There are dogs too. :O

Umbra is just so cute!

Is there any precedent for games having an early release?

Reason I ask is because (it may have been mentioned here but I don't think I saw it) apparently there is some FFXV news this Friday at Paris Games Week that is going to make fans "lose their minds".

There are only a few things that could really do that and 1 of them would be "we've gone gold and the game is releasing a week early" but it could just be PR hype nonsense.

https://twitter.com/Fotmhero1030/status/789829587912056832

Is there any precedent for gamers having an early release?

Reason I ask is because (it may have been mentioned here but I don't think I saw it) apparently there is some FFXV news this Friday at Paris Games Week that is going to make fans "lose their minds".

There are only a few things that could really do that and 1 of them would be "we've gone gold and the game is releasing a week early" but it could just be PR hype nonsense.

Probably just that the game went gold.

chefbags

Is there any precedent for gamers having an early release?

What would actually make gamers lose their minds would be if they released it digitally during their Paris games week presentation lol.

I actually have no idea lol but I'm really looking forward to it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let's have some more visual media in here, even if a little small and even though we've seen some of the pics already. They are from the Japanese Gamer.ne.jp site (http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201610200012/):

* SWEET ASS PICS*

FFXV can be a really pretty game in small pics and with squinty eyes. :p No, seriously, I can't wait to explore this gorgeous world. :)

MAN this game is shaping up nicely. Couldn't have imagined it would look this ironed out a few months ago.

I guess they literally were working on the game engine along with the actual game itself. There's visual improvements with each new batch of media that comes out.

Byvar

Is there any precedent for games having an early release?

The facebook page just says it will be an exclusive presentation by Tabata with new content and new information from the game. Information like a Moogle reveal perhaps, but not release information. Either way, I'm looking forward to that and the KH presentation right after it.

Also, "lose their minds" is a bit of an exaggerated translation, I feel.

Really digging the OST so far. I loved XIII's, but a lot of these seem to have a more personal and bittersweet feel that I'm hoping is reflected in a more personally grounded story.

Also, as for news that will make fans lose their minds, how about another delay? >:)

Koozek

Sure the pinball game :p

Mm, it's not.

Obvious bait.

Hmm with 4gb ram, let's see...

Unless the retail console comes with 8gb, it'll be a bit hard to see it...

Would be awesome to see it on the go!

Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be on Switch but FFXV won't be.

I doubt SE will downport the game for Switch.

I doubt it, after that Tabata said explicitely that they were pushing the ps4 to max capacity with the recent changes.

Naw, the Switch will be ported to FFXV :p

MOeiZyL.gif

Top Bottom