• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
hot G3 goodness

gsmarena_004.jpg

Toki767

Umm...isn't it brushed aluminum? Or was that previous leak wrong?

There have been reports of both aluminum and plastic. All we know for sure is that it won't be a fingerprint magnet. If the battery is removable though it certainly points to plastic as being more likely.

Husker86

There have been reports of both aluminum and plastic. All we know for sure is that it won't be a fingerprint magnet. If the battery is removable though it certainly points to plastic as being more likely.

True. Has there ever been an aluminum removable back? I know the HTC Hero had a rigid plastic removable back, so it's possible I suppose. But metal tabs sliding into plastic would probably lead to rapid wear.

Magnets!

Nicktendo86

True. Has there ever been an aluminum removable back? I know the HTC Hero had a rigid plastic removable back, so it's possible I suppose. But metal tabs sliding into plastic would probably lead to rapid wear.

Magnets!
Think the Chinese version of the HTC one had a metal removable back with a duel sim slot

Long shot, but anyone know of any good adventure type games on Android? That, or something along the lines of Phoenix Wright / Prof Layton?

That gold color looks so bad.

At this point I am conflicted between the G3 and GS5P. If the prime is just the GS5 with metal back I will prob get he G3.

Toki767

Well the G3 seems to be using the 801 and the GS5 Prime is supposedly going to use the 805 so I'd probably wait for the 805.

reKon

Banned
looks like it's pretty much the same dimensions as the Japanese version, which is too big of a phone for me. Fuck this.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL at the gold color. Apple leads from the front. Based Apple.

zedge

Magnets!
Samsung galaxy s captivate on Rogers/AT&T had a metal removable back. As did the HTC G2 or whatever it was called. Had a slide out keyboard.

Samsung galaxy s captivate on Rogers/AT&T had a metal removable back. As did the HTC G2 or whatever it was called. Had a slide out keyboard.

HTC One Max had a removable back as well.

I think I'll just stick with the unit I have. Seems like it'd be a hassle to try and it RMA'd

Gwanatu T

The way I see it is that since most people use their phone with their right hand, having the back button on the right would make it easier to reach when using the phone with one hand.

That's what I always thought and how I feel about a phone the size of a Galaxy Note. Thankfully you can change the software buttons without any modification to the system with the OnePlus One. Shameless plug for the phone of the year, imo.

That's what I always thought and how I feel about a phone the size of a Galaxy Note. Thankfully you can change the software buttons without any modification to the system with the OnePlus One. Shameless plug for the phone of the year, imo.

Phone of the year... Which you can't actually buy.

The phone of the year is still not yet available.

Samsung GALAXY Note 4, where art thou?

Cipherr

Some of these guys just mindlessly copy Apple. Even if its not a good idea. All of these gold phones are fucking ugly, but they don't care. Apple did it, so they will too.

Fucking idiots.

Groof

Have you tried "LAYTON BROTHERS MYSTERY ROOM" ?
Never played, but it had good reviews.

I played the free part of this, liked it enough to buy the rest. Never continued to play though... maybe I should get on it. It's not too bad!

Does anyone know how to lower the volume for the stock timer in Android? It's basically at max volume and is ear piercing. The alarm volume setting (or any other volume setting that I can find) doesn't do it. I'm using 4.4.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

More importantly for the G3, the LG Quantum Windows Phone that nobody bought had a removable metal back plate. So they've done it before.

Moto G.

Edit: Supposedly Lenovo's new phone, the X+1 or whatever, is going to be a very budget-friendly phone.

You could probably find a Nexus 4 for $200 on eBay or something

Thanks, but I want something that can do LTE also. There's a bunch of cheap phones out for MetroPCS, but any idea what is the easiest to root with most support for roms?

So we just got the Sony Smartwatch 2 in stock to coincide with the release of the Z2. It says compatible with android 4.0 and above. I'm assuming this means it works with any android phone? Also, is it any good?

Edit: nvm, gonna skip it. Smartwatches still aren't there yet. Maybe the Moto one will change my mind.

I got an issue I was wondering if anyone could help me with. I use Chrome as my default browser and whenever I click a YouTube link to watch a video and it takes me to the app, usually before all I had to do was turn my phone sideways to view full screen. It would switch by itself. Now, whenever I do that it doesn't switch automatically, I have to actually click the icon to switch it to full screen which is kinda annoying.

Anyone else experiencing this?

EvetS

I got an issue I was wondering if anyone could help me with. I use Chrome as my default browser and whenever I click a YouTube link to watch a video and it takes me to the app, usually before all I had to do was turn my phone sideways to view full screen. It would switch by itself. Now, whenever I do that it doesn't switch automatically, I have to actually click the icon to switch it to full screen which is kinda annoying.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Check your screen auto rotate settings?

SimleuqiR

[APK Teardown] Google Play Services 4.4 Explodes With Android Wear Support, Firmware Installer, And Much More

Lots of info. Looks like Hangouts will get its own API

I'm not really sure what's going on here. Several new strings turned up with obvious references to Hangouts, SMS, Google Voice, Google Talk (the original name of Hangouts), and Voice/Video chats. And of course there are the RECEIVE_SMS and READ_SMS permissions mentioned earlier. At first glance this looks like it might be related to account ownership verification or some equally simple chore; but frankly, there's too much here for that. Strings for default text responses and an SMS provider just don't belong outside of Hangouts. We're already anticipating the merger of Google Voice with Hangouts to be announced at I/O, but that wouldn't really explain all of this stuff appearing in Play Services.
My best guess is that Google is preparing to expose an API for Hangouts integration, allowing 3rd-party apps to initiate conversations and send messages through the network. Now that Drive and Maps are so thoroughly exposed to app developers, this would seem to make sense, and it aligns well with the recently added START_HANGOUT permission.

Tik-Tok

Question regarding Google Play Music.

When I want to play an album it plays them in alphabetical order. This is retarded for obvious reasons. I can't seem to find a way to correct it.

Help?

Quasar

Question regarding Google Play Music.

When I want to play an album it plays them in alphabetical order. This is retarded for obvious reasons. I can't seem to find a way to correct it.

Help?

It plays in tracklist order for me. I take you mean the android app and not the web?

Tik-Tok

It plays in tracklist order for me. I take you mean the android app and not the web?

Yeah the android app. Every album on there plays in alphabetical order, despite the tracks having proper tags and actually the filename starting with 01, 02, 03 etc. :(

edit: Upon closer inspection it seems to be only the three albums I recently uploaded. I transfered them over wifi using ES File Explorer. I wonder thats the reason.

Threi

notag
so uh...why does the google drive editor, google sheets and slides, and quickoffice all exist when they essentially all do the same thing?

Quasar

so uh...why does the google drive editor, google sheets and slides, and quickoffice all exist when they essentially all do the same thing?

Editor?

I know they just broke good drive up into drive (the viewer) and separate editors. The claim is so they can update each part quicker, but I don't really buy that. Now if it was part of the OS that would make more sense.

But then I don't really get a lot of these bigger apps breaking up into separate parts (facebook being another recent example).

I guess it does reduce the size of drive if you don't have any need for a editor on that device.

But yeah Quickoffice..I don't get the point of that with docs/sheets/etc.

ss_lemonade

Magnets!
My old Samsung Wave had an solid aluminum back with a removable battery. Now that was one slick looking phone, too bad Samsung stopped supporting its own OS

SimleuqiR

Editor?

I know they just broke good drive up into drive (the viewer) and separate editors. The claim is so they can update each part quicker, but I don't really buy that. Now if it was part of the OS that would make more sense.

But then I don't really get a lot of these bigger apps breaking up into separate parts (facebook being another recent example).

I guess it does reduce the size of drive if you don't have any need for a editor on that device.

But yeah Quickoffice..I don't get the point of that with docs/sheets/etc.

Google Drive should be your cloud storage service, and it's app should be a file browser (ala Dropbox and Box.com), irregardless of what you have up there. So it makes sense that they break up these apps up. Spreadsheets are spreadsheets and need a robust dedicated app to deal with them. Same goes with Docs. This probably also helps them clean up all their code in the back.

I also foresee the Photos app opening up any images you have in your Drive account.

Fox318

Anyone here have a Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)?

I'm considering upgrading from my Xoom WiFi because of the sale on Woot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom