• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furyous

Android Authority OnePlus One review

Battery life looks horrendous. Down to 16% in 9 hours with only 2 hours of screen on time.

Hopefully it's either a software problem or a bum unit.

Huh?

Can someone explain the difference between that review and engadget's review?

Engadget's review:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/08/oneplus-one-review/

Battery life, at least, is a bright spot. The One has a 3,100mAh non-removable cell that's just a tad smaller than the battery inside the Note 3. What's more, it's actually larger than what you'll find in the GS5 and One M8. On most days, I made it to the end of the evening with around 5-10 percent life remaining. (On average, this constituted 14-15 hours of solid use, and roughly four hours of screen-on time.) These were days full of emails, calls, travel, social networking and a little bit of gaming. All told, our standard video rundown test yielded 10 hours of life. This isn't the best I've seen, but I'd consider it well above average for a smartphone -- and I'm hard-pressed to ask for more from a $300 device.

NH Apache

Banned
If I use hangouts as my primary SMS app on my phone, I ought to be able to go on my tablet, see or send SMS from the tablet through the phone. Have it sync along my logins. Server backed up SMS.

Cmon Google!

freshair

So Motorola's announcement next week. a new flagship or a Moto G successor?

Antsy for a new phone and I'm debate locked with a M8, N5 or Moto X

BlazinAm

Huh?

Can someone explain the difference between that review and engadget's review?

Engadget's review:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/08/oneplus-one-review/

Battery life, at least, is a bright spot. The One has a 3,100mAh non-removable cell that's just a tad smaller than the battery inside the Note 3. What's more, it's actually larger than what you'll find in the GS5 and One M8. On most days, I made it to the end of the evening with around 5-10 percent life remaining. (On average, this constituted 14-15 hours of solid use, and roughly four hours of screen-on time.) These were days full of emails, calls, travel, social networking and a little bit of gaming. All told, our standard video rundown test yielded 10 hours of life. This isn't the best I've seen, but I'd consider it well above average for a smartphone -- and I'm hard-pressed to ask for more from a $300 device.
Depends on what is running in the background with the way Android apps function there isn't a set standard for how they run in an suspended state.

Imagine if the pull something off that has slightly less specs than the S5/M8/Z2 but a tad better than the Nexus 5 and have a similar pricing scheme to the Nexus 5. With all 4 major US networks involved as well (32GB for $400?).

VoxPop

Imagine if the pull something off that has slightly less specs than the S5/M8/Z2 but a tad better than the Nexus 5 and have a similar pricing scheme to the Nexus 5. With all 4 major US networks involved as well (32GB for $400?).

The GS5 only costs $250 to make so its not too crazy of an idea.

kehs

Banned
RIP Android.

Oracle wins copyright ruling against Google over Android

(Reuters) - Oracle Corp won a key legal victory against Google Inc on Friday as a U.S. appeals court decided Oracle could copyright parts of the Java programming language, which Google used to design its Android smartphone operating system.

…

"We conclude that a set of commands to instruct a computer to carry out desired operations may contain expression that is eligible for copyright protection," Federal Circuit Judge Kathleen O'Malley wrote.

Oracle said it was "extremely pleased" with the decision.

"The Federal Circuit's opinion is a win for Oracle and the entire software industry that relies on copyright protection to fuel innovation and ensure that developers are rewarded for their breakthroughs," said Oracle General Counsel Dorian Daley in an email.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/09/us-oracle-google-ruling-idUSBREA480KQ20140509

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/assets/4431835/13-1021.Opinion.5-7-2014.1.pdf

SimleuqiR

U.S. District Judge William Alsup ruled that the Java APIs replicated by Google were not subject to copyright protection and were free for all to use. The Federal Circuit disagreed on Friday, ruled for Oracle and instructed the lower court to reinstate a jury's finding of infringement as to 37 Java API packages.

"We find that the district court failed to distinguish between the threshold question of what is copyrightable — which presents a low bar — and the scope of conduct that constitutes infringing activity," O'Malley wrote.

Wut!? Such bullcrap!

They should take it all the way to the supreme court (not that I have any faith in those old bastards).

My music app has frozen on my M8, I've tried shutting it down with the multi-tasking menu, inside settings running area, shutting down the phone, even checked off the fast shut down option of the M8, I just can't seem to get it working. Any advice?

Edit: I unmounted my SD card, that seemed to do it. I think these 128 gig cards might be a little screwy.

Edit 2: The HTC music app kept giving me problems but I guess the Google Play music app works perfectly, shoulda figured.

timnich

Just replaced my iPhone 5 with a Nexus 5. I love almost everything about this phone, what I don't exactly love are the stock phone, SMS and contact apps. They're serviceable, but I know that there is better out there. Anyone have any suggestions? Any other app suggestions would be great as well. I've already rooted my phone and installed Greenify, so I feel like I'm off to a good start.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just replaced my iPhone 5 with a Nexus 5. I love almost everything about this phone, what I don't exactly love are the stock phone, SMS and contact apps. They're serviceable, but I know that there is better out there. Anyone have any suggestions? Any other app suggestions would be great as well. I've already rooted my phone and installed Greenify, so I feel like I'm off to a good start.
There is nothing better. And just use the phone first instead of screwing around with things like Greenify.

Having such an odd issue.

Tap to wake on my G2 has duddenly stopped working. Whats odd is that tap to sleep works just fine. Also, at times it seems like the top of my screen is being pressed, as the thing just starts flipping out with the screen scrolling and whatnot. I did a data wipe and it hasnt flipped out again, but tap to wake is still busted. Any advice or tips?

Gwanatu T

Phone of the year... Which you can't actually buy.

Because it's not out yet, duh. What's so hard to understand about them announcing the phone and launching it a little later?

The phone of the year is still not yet available.

Samsung GALAXY Note 4, where art thou?

I'm done with Samsung. They've proven they don't give a damn about Android, and further more love to continue to make shitty cameras.

kehs

Banned
So androidpolice did a teardown of play services AND google's now launcher hera view this week.

What could they possibly have planned for the weekend? Google Voice dialer speculation, Musk getting early copy of Google Car? Possibly kevlar bands for 360?

kehs

Banned
Welp.

YjuIvws.png

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/10/5703072/motorolas-first-phone-since-google-sale-leaked

I'm not saying I know anything ( cause I don't) but 75.

yyzjohn

Banned
So androidpolice did a teardown of play services AND google's now launcher hera view this week.

What could they possibly have planned for the weekend? Google Voice dialer speculation, Musk getting early copy of Google Car? Possibly kevlar bands for 360?

Why do you say the weekend?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's so awesome how my burner phones can now be smart phones.

So, if the new Google launcher has OK Google everywhere, then that would be a blow to the Moto X right? The only standout feature then would be amoled screen touchless controls. Yet it is still the Android phone I am looking forward to the most other than the Nexus 6 if that is still happening.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So, if the new Google launcher has OK Google everywhere, then that would be a blow to the Moto X right? The only standout feature then would be amoled screen touchless controls. Yet it is still the Android phone I am looking forward to the most other than the Nexus 6 if that is still happening.

OK Google Everywhere would still only work if the screen was on. Moto X still has a leg up.

OK Google Everywhere would still only work if the screen was on. Moto X still has a leg up.

I forgot about that. If only the manufacturers would activate that capability in the phones with certain Snapdragon's.

And also the Moto X is the closest to stock you can get on a carrier without rooting.

What's the best browser for us rooted phone?
Stupid Z2 still have no way to root.
And it only came with chrome not the Aosp style browser like the Z1.

Groof

If they do it I might switch to a Samsung touchwiz phone, that's how unhappy I would be.
Serious.
I'll be looking elsewhere if that turns out to be true. Especially those software buttons.
The nexus experience is all about simplicity. That does not say simple.

Nicktendo86

Serious.
I'll be looking elsewhere if that turns out to be true. Especially those software buttons.
The nexus experience is all about simplicity. That does not say simple.
Agree 100%, I just don't get why the would need to over complicate things like that. Only thing I like is the Google now style notification shade, other than that just no.

Bboy AJ

No front facing camera is killer. It makes Hangouts useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom